Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche NA press release: Sales Figures April

Quote:

Porsche remains on growth path in North America

Record sales figures in April

Stuttgart. Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, sold 3,614 vehicles in North America in April 2006; this represents growth of 9.3 percent compared to the comparable prior-year period (3,307 units). USA and Canada thus posted the company's highest ever figures for deliveries. Porsche had already recorded record sales figures in its most important sales market in the months January to March 2006.

The growth course continues to be driven by the sports car model series. Sales of the 911 increased by 22 percent to 1,328 vehicles. This is also a new record: Never before have so many 911s been sold in a single month in North America. Sales of the Boxster model series accelerated even more rapidly to 1,288 units, representing growth of 26 percent; 699 of these sales related to the new Cayman S.

Cayenne deliveries remained at a high level. Sales of the sporty all-terrain vehicle, which have hovered around the 1,000 mark since the beginning of the year, reached 983 vehicles in April. This represents a slight fall of 14 percent compared to April 2005. 15 units of the high performance Carrera GT sports car were delivered.

699 Cayman seems to be quite a figure in the context of some of the posts made during the last weeks.

Re: Porsche NA press release: Sales Figures April

Quote:
    Matt C said:

699 Cayman seems to be quite a figure in the context of some of the posts made during the last weeks.

Porsche's marketing-coup seems to work (at least in North America), though not at a "best case level":

Best case: no cannibalization at all (gain all Cayman customers from other brands / former M3 owners etc.)

Worst case: 100% cannibalization towards 997

The most recent figures (which seem to be in line with the trend shown in the Jan-March figures) support the assumption that neither the best case scenario nor the worst case scenario will materialize: in fact 997 sales seem to be not affected by the Cayman S launch, whereas Boxster sales seem to suffer severely: if I got it right, Boxster sales are down from 1,022 units (Apr '05) to 589 units (Apr '06) representing a recession of 42.4%

The interesting question is whether the Boxster cannibalization happens due to the audience's sheer lust for more hp/displacement or due to the preference for a coupé

The correct answer to that question will be crucial to the future Boxster marketing: if the coupé thing is the crucial factor, then the rumored engine upgrade for the Boxster won't help too much to revitalize the Boxster sales. PAG might be at least "half-happy" though as they sell more 987 units (cab+coupé) with the current line up (compared to the cab only line up) and gain better margins (from the coupé).

If the HP thing is the crucial factor, an engine upgrade for the Boxster might help Boxster sales but would negatively affect Cayman sales - not a good idea as long as the price tag of the coupé (and therefore PAG-margins) is higher compared to the cab.

To me the figures seem to prove that the audience understands Boxster and Cayman as one single platform for two variants: cab and coupé (like 997 cab and coupé is understood as one platform). There is nothing wrong about that, the only strange thing is that 997 buyers accept a price premium for the cab, whereas 987 buyers accept a premium for the coupé. I for one do not believe, that the 15 hp difference + variocam plus technology is the crucial factor in favour of the Cayman, nor do I believe that the majority of Cayman buyers are track guys exploiting the advantages of the higher structural rigidity of the car - I think it's just the image of driving a small version of the "icon" (911) - visual appearance of the Cayman is closer to 997 coupé than Boxster to 997 cab IMO. This image is further supported by a lot of carmags' reviews seeing the Cayman as a 997 challenger, whereas the cab model Boxster still might suffer from the old "poor man's Porsche" or "housewife image".

Porsche seems to know very well, that the majority of sportscar buyers are prepared to spend a lot of money for the image factor (I don't believe that most of P-buyers can tell you the difference in 0-100 times, max. speed or Ring-times if you ask them about Boxster vs. Cayman - most of the German buyers might think of the famous and prestigious Bayreuth Wagner-festival if they hear "The Ring" rather than thinking of the "Green Hell" race track )

Weeeeell, I don't know about that, P-J.

I think I'd like to wait for the usual well-reasoned, balanced view from Nick.

He should be along anytime now.

Maybe Boxster sales are off because it has been around for 7-8 years and it just doesnt generate the buzz that it once did. All of the Cayman PR may have made the Boxster seem old and unworthy to some people.

Warning, This post may contain gratuitous sarcasm and irony. It may be objectionable to those without a sense of humor, those with only a literal comprehension of the english language, or those who do not frequent the State of New Jersey.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Weeeeell, I don't know about that, P-J.

I think I'd like to wait for the usual well-reasoned, balanced view from Nick.

He should be along anytime now.

In all fairness, it's not Nick's fault. For an attorney, it is not in his nature to present a "balanced" point of view.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Maybe Boxster sales are off because it has been around for 7-8 years and it just doesnt generate the buzz that it once did. All of the Cayman PR may have made the Boxster seem old and unworthy to some people.

Are you saying that the new healights on 987 didn't generate enough buzz?

Well, here are my thoughts. I agree with everything Porsche-Jeck wrote. However I will add that the Boxster has been suffering a decline for at least a couple of years and Cayman sales only made matters worse.

Also, year to year sales for 2005-2006 for sport cars is a bit misleading. Last year they just had introduced the Cab lines so the numbers were lower. Additionally I am not sure what they mean by deliveries. Does that mean to customers or to dealers? There may be a lot of 997's sitting on dealer lots.

Finally, I find it curious that a 14% decrease in Cayenne sales is considered "slight" given Cayenne sales accounted for about 50% of all Porsche sales in the US last year.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Well, here are my thoughts. I agree with everything Porsche-Jeck wrote.

I said the worst case scenario won't materialize

Quote:
    nberry said:
    However I will add that the Boxster has been suffering a decline for at least a couple of years and Cayman sales only made matters worse.

The launch of the new model (987) has been successful: Porsche sold 18 tsd. Boxsters in FY 04/05 vs. 13 tsd units in 03/04 - the all time high in FY 00/01 (28 tsd) must be understood as an extraordinary windfall profit related to the dot.com/stock bubble. If you agree with me that Boxster and Cayman is one platform, then the emergence of the Cayman did not make matters worse, it just allows buyers to make a choice between cab and coupé (like 997 cab and coupé) - Porsche today sells more midengined sportscars then ever (with the exception of FY 00/01)!

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Also, year to year sales for 2005-2006 for sport cars is a bit misleading. Last year they just had introduced the Cab lines so the numbers were lower. Additionally I am not sure what they mean by deliveries. Does that mean to customers or to dealers? There may be a lot of 997's sitting on dealer lots.

If you take the lifecycle and availability of variants (cab/coupé) into account you'll see that 997 sales are at least on par with 996 sales (and 996 was the best selling "911" ever). Also lead times for new cars do not support the assumption of too many cars sitting on dealers' lots

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Finally, I find it curious that a 14% decrease in Cayenne sales is considered "slight" given Cayenne sales accounted for about 50% of all Porsche sales in the US last year.

I agree with you on this one - Cayenne sales seem to be the Achilles' heel, as the overall SUV demand is weak.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Are you saying that the new healights on 987 didn't generate enough buzz?

Or the massiv power increase of 20hp?

The "bean counters" only care about total sales, since each car produces a profit. So as long as the total keeps going up, they don't worry as much about the "ups and downs" of individual models....

have only seen 1 cayman on the road so far...

Quote:
    Moogle said:

Me too, and it was while I was visiting San Francisco.

Quote:
    Moogle said:

None on the road so far over here in Germany, only several dealer cars at my dealer.
    But it won't be different with the 997 Turbo. In the whole state of Bavaria, there will be probably 25 cars or so available until September of which only 15-20 will actually make it to the road. And until early November (the time sportscar driving actually ends over here), I don't expect to see more than 100 cars at max on the street.
    So yes, I will enjoy this a lot.

Quote:
    Raptor said:
    Quote:
    Moogle said:

Me too, and it was while I was visiting San Francisco.

The things those people in San Francisco get up to!

There is a white Cayman in my neighborhood, a yellow one at the shopping center where I have my office and have seen two or three on the road.

Quote:
    Moogle said:

I seem to notice quite a few during the week, but it could be because the car is new, and my eye drawn to them.

But still far more rare than the G35 coupe.

I just spent 4 days at the Nurburgring (Scuderia Hanseat training) and there were at least 5 Caymans there.

Down here in Munich (Bavaria) I have seen several on the road.
    Since there is a special "Porsche only" Parking Section at the Airport one can usually see all models of the Porsche model range (new and old) which are currently in customers hands and in use. Everytime I park there (typically 2 or 3 times a week) I see at least one or two caymans there.

Thomas
    987S

Quote:
    trk2005 said:

there is a special "Porsche only" Parking Section at the Airport one can usually see all models of the Porsche model range ...
    987S

OM! How many airports have that ??

Quote:
    BayArea Jimmy said:
    Quote:
    trk2005 said:

there is a special "Porsche only" Parking Section at the Airport one can usually see all models of the Porsche model range ...
    987S

OM! How many airports have that ??

Actually, the pkg lots at certain private air terminals in SF/NYC/LA regions often have some very interesting new F/P/MB parked, waiting for some very big, private birds to return their owners.....

I would not say the Cayman S is a flop with 2,885 units sold (to customers) in the first 4 month of 2006 in the US and Canada... Actually Porsche should be able to sell over 12,000 Cayman S during the current fiscal year (Aug 05-Jul06).

As far as inventories are concerned, at end of April there was 1,056 units sitting of dealer's lots which is equivalent to around 45 days of sales ... This is rather low compared with Boxster (90 days), Cayenne (83 days) or even the 911 (51 days) ...

Bottom line, the Cayman S is selling very well, may be not like "hot cakes" but as far as margins are concerned, it is fantastic for Porsche AG.

Just for those who believe they will see more 997 Turbo next year than Cayman S, I don't think it is true... Next year (fiscal 06/07), Porsche should sell approximately 6,000 Turbos (which is huge by the way) and 3x more Cayman S (approx 16-18,000 units)....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803863 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448706 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266299 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90152 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6732 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886028 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834092 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM