Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Gas Stations

For all you guys in the states, where do you guys prefer getting your gas from? Unocal? Chevron? Shells? Mobile? Volero? and why?

Re: Gas Stations

I like Sunoco stations, for no good reason other than the gas works fine, and Sunoco has always supported the hot-rodders with 100-octane unleaded available at their larger stations. Shell stations are always overpriced in my area. I've never noticed much difference in the gas itself from a name-brand standpoint, it's the actual individual STATIONS that you've got to watch out for, with compromised tanks that have allowed moisture/water intrusion, or poor servicing of their equipment (filters not serviced, etc..), or flat-out fraud selling lesser-grade fuel as premium. I try to give my business to stations that appear clean, organized and well-run in all visible aspects, from the pumps, to the bathrooms, as somebody who runs a tight ship in those respects is usually running a tight ship in all respects, and conversely, a sloppily and nastily run station is probably owned and operated by a mis-managed chain, or a scum-bag private owner.

When it comes to businesses, I have have no problem judging books by their covers, where there's smoke there's usually fire.

The Union station on Woodside Ave in Redwood City and the Union station on Alamden in San Jose are the only stations in the Bay Area that I have found that sell gas above 91 Octane. Does anyone know of others?

Are they selling 92 octane??

Do you feel any imporvements when you use higher octane?

Stay away from Valero and stick to Shell, Chevron, Mobil or 76. There is a 76 gas station corner of LA PAZ and 5 free way in Laguna Hills and has 104 octane gas. I have not checked recently but they did last year. I personally get Chevron more often than other brands and for no particular reason.

In the upper plains states Amoco/BP is the easiest to find. Prefer Shell V-Power. You will also find Texaco, Conoco and Phillips 66.

Living in LA, CA 91 is the defacto standard.

On my roadtrips about the country, you never know what you will find, once the best was 89.
    What to do...fill-up and drive

Only 91 Octane and 100. I put in part 100 and part 91 to give 93+. I like to think the car runs better. But at least I don't think about the performance being less than it could.

Shell gas stations had that problem about a year or so ago, where their gas was messing up everyones tank floats. This was causing people to run out of gas when the needle was still reading half full.

What problem with Shell? What was causing the float to stay suspended when the gas level fell? Sounds strange.

I think I use Shell because I may have almost heard I think somewhere that maybe Ferrari recommends Shell.

Chevron or Shell only.

GA997 I am not sure what was the exact findings, but it affected allot of customers here in South FL. I am going to do some research and inform you. I know Shell had to pay for the repairs on customers cars.

Mobil

Shell lists stations given bad fuel
    Company can't say which locations sold the tainted gasoline

Tuesday, June 15, 2004

By Stewart Yerton
    Business writer
    Times-Picayune

More than two weeks after a batch of tainted gasoline caused Shell Oil Co. to temporarily close pumps at nearly 200 gas stations in the New Orleans region, the company has released a list of stations that received the gas from a Shell refinery. But the company still cannot say for sure which stations sold the bad fuel.

Late last week, after repeated requests, Shell released a list of Shell and Texaco stations that received the problem fuel from the Norco refinery operated by Shell's U.S. refining arm, Motiva Enterprises LLC. But Shell says the list, which includes 162 New Orleans-region stations that received the tainted gas, is not conclusive, and the company issued several qualifying statements along with the list.

Shell also reported that 33 New Orleans-area stations that sell Shell and Texaco brands did not receive the bad gas.

Notwithstanding its flaws, the list is the only document Shell has made public indicating which of its gas stations might have sold the tainted fuel.

The gasoline, which contains high levels of elemental sulfur, can make fuel gauges malfunction, possibly causing unsuspecting drivers to run out of gas. Although Shell says it has flushed out the gas station storage tanks that were affected and filled them with fresh gasoline, many drivers have sought a list of stations that sold the bad fuel to help them determine if their cars are vulnerable.

The list of stations provided by Shell includes "those stations where Motiva believes its gasoline was supplied during the affected time period," said Shawn Frederick, a Shell spokesman. But the list doesn't say which stations sold problem gasoline.

For example, Frederick said, some of the bad gasoline might have been mixed with other gasoline in storage tanks at the gas stations. This blending, he said, could have diluted the bad gas enough that it would not hurt a car's gas gauge.

Also, Frederick said, just because a station received the bad gas, that doesn't mean the station sold it, or, if so, for how long.

Shell's list also fails to include some stations operating under different brands that bought the gas from Motiva and might have
    resold it. About 40 Chevron stations, a handful of ExxonMobil stations and some independent stations also received the gas.

Finally, Shell's list leaves out dates of when the gasoline was delivered to the stations.

On May 26, Shell announced it temporarily had suspended the sale of gasoline at 108 company-owned stations in the New Orleans region. Later, the company said it also had closed pumps at about 90 independently owned stations, bringing the total to 198. Although Shell restored service at all but a handful of stations by May 30, the incident left drivers in a cloud of uncertainty as they took to the highways for trips during the Memorial Day weekend.

The new information also indicates that Shell erred on the side of caution in handling the situation. Although the company closed pumps at 198 stations, at least 33 of those stations had not received the bad gas.

Among those welcoming the list of stations is John Taylor of Covington. Taylor said he's noticed problems with the fuel gauges on his 2002 Chevrolet Silverado pick-up and 1996 Chevrolet Corsica. But Taylor said clerks at the Shell stations in Covington and Mandeville where he normally buys gas told him that the stations hadn't been affected.

The stations, in fact, are on the list.

Taylor said that knowing the stations received bad gasoline from Motiva "gives me a little peace of mind" as he prepares to file a claim asking Shell to pay to repair his vehicles.

Shell has agreed to pay for repairs and as of last week had received about 30,000 claims from drivers in Louisiana and Florida. Some gasoline from the Norco refinery was sent to Florida and sold from Port Everglades and Tampa stations.

Louisiana Attorney General Charles Foti's office refused requests to release information it had concerning locations that might have sold the bad gasoline. Initially, a spokeswoman said the attorney general would not release the list because of "attorney client privilege." Later, in denying a request filed under the Louisiana Public Records Act for a list of stations "where . . . problem gasoline was sold," Isabel Wingerter, chief of Foti's consumer protection section, wrote, "We have no conclusive list that identifies those stations."

In an interview, Wingerter said the information Foti's office had obtained would be useless to consumers.

"You've got the same list in your telephone book," she said. "It lists every Shell station. That doesn't mean every Shell station sold bad gas."

Not all of the area's stations were on the list released by Shell. In any case, Wingerter said, consumers don't need a list to know if they bought bad gasoline.

"If they got bad gas, they know it," she said.

Stewart Yerton can be reached at syerton@timespicayune.com or (504) 826-3495.

Fair use of copyrighted material

I use whatever station is on the way. I look for the cheapest price and go with it. After 30 years of driving I have not found and felt any performance issues. But this is just me. Seeing that in the US 90+% of all stations use the same pipeline I don't get hung up on names. Now I know each stations "adds" their own extra mix to the gas to help clean the engines, etc. but I have not had any issues. Again this is just me. If I have to start picking certain gas stations for my 997 it is time for me to sell it.

Just my 0.02 before taxes

Wow! Hadn't heard that.

Quote:
    bstew said:
    I use whatever station is on the way. I look for the cheapest price and go with it. After 30 years of driving I have not found and felt any performance issues. But this is just me. Seeing that in the US 90+% of all stations use the same pipeline I don't get hung up on names. Now I know each stations "adds" their own extra mix to the gas to help clean the engines, etc. but I have not had any issues. Again this is just me. If I have to start picking certain gas stations for my 997 it is time for me to sell it.

Just my 0.02 before taxes

I'm with you on that. It's less about what company's truck delivered the stuff to the station, and more about the tanks underground, and how tight of a ship is run at that station with regard to regular scheduled testing and maintainance of the containment and pumping systems. You can get a great tank of fuel from a well-run and supervised "El Cheapo" station, and you can get a water-infested tank of swill from a carelessly run Shell.

I go for price, make sure they've got 93 octane available, and I steer clear of $hitholes... The rest is almost like debating who makes the best bottled water.

I personaly go for price. After last years hurricane season allot of stations where price gouging. Citco had the cheapest gas, and even-though they are run by Chavez in Venezuela (communist) I went there for the non-gouged price. I have never noticed any difference in different brand, so I just put 93 octane

Another consideration.....I read a petroleum research report a couple of years ago that suggested that what was important was to do about 10 tank fulls with the same brand and then repeat the process with a different brand. The explantion was this....every gas has a "cleaning" additive, but each manufacturer has a different formula that cleans the fuel system differently. By doing at least 10 tank fulls you maximize what one brand can clean and then changing brands may clean other deposits in the system that the previous brand did not. So the theory was that if you cycle through 3 to 4 different brands you will get more "complete" cleaning of the system.
    It certainly struck me as logical and food for thought....

That makes sense. I should definitely consider that. Anyone else heard of changing brands every 10 tanks?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    804071 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448746 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266364 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90170 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6760 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886090 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834523 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM