Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2015 Mini Clubman and Countryman

S3 better than a Mini JCW?

I'm not sure, I traded my old daily driver, a 5 year old Cooper S for a new S3 hatch last year and yes the S3 is quick rides better and has better sat nav and comfort there is a certain something missing, compounded by the fact that the family don't think the S3 is cool

The steering isn't great and the S3 just doesn't have the fun factor that the Mini had, so I can see myself trading the S3 back for a Mini JCW now we can order a manual car

Jonathanbr:

S3 better than a Mini JCW?

I'm not sure, I traded my old daily driver, a 5 year old Cooper S for a new S3 hatch last year and yes the S3 is quick rides better and has better sat nav and comfort there is a certain something missing, compounded by the fact that the family don't think the S3 is cool

The steering isn't great and the S3 just doesn't have the fun factor that the Mini had, so I can see myself trading the S3 back for a Mini JCW now we can order a manual car

I never drove the new S3, so I can comment on performance numbers only.

Yes, the new JCW is a lot of fun to drive but surprisingly mostly in the city or when you push it hard. The brake of the JCW is really good for a Mini, something I noticed immediately. The Steptronic is a real treat, using it in "S" mode together with the "S" mode for the engine, makes a perfect combo. The upshifts and downshifts come at perfect times, very good setup, I wish Porsche would offer the same with their Sport Plus setup (gears are kept too long, rev figure goes over 5000 rpm when it upshifts, even if you don't fully press the throttle). 

Also interesting: The ESP setup. When in "S" mode, the ESP barely interferes, only the electronic "LSD" works and you can barely feel it in the steering wheel. I have winter tires on my car right now, so my observations maybe differ from the ones with summer tires but overall, I think the new Mini JCW has a very good setup, a setup the engineers put a lot of thought into it. Cannot comment on manual but truth to be told, I am happy to have Steptronic, especially for the city. It works so well, completely different to the automatic available in Mini cars so far.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Are the brakes the same as the GP? Because those are the old 135i 6 piston brembos. I've always said that the brakes in my GP is one of the best OEM setup. For a car that barely weighs 1100kg, it was perhaps an overkill but hey, you can never have too much brake!

WAY:

Are the brakes the same as the GP? Because those are the old 135i 6 piston brembos. I've always said that the brakes in my GP is one of the best OEM setup. For a car that barely weighs 1100kg, it was perhaps an overkill but hey, you can never have too much brake!

I don't have a clue. The brake system is from Brembo as far as I heard. Also, I remember reading an article about the Mini JCW where it achieved a new record low braking distance, even compared to some sports cars.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC, how do you find the JCW's steering for feel and response? Are there any issues with torque steer?

There were 2 90 min programmes on BBC this week, "Building Cars Live"

The shows concentrated on MINI's Cowley plant .. good fun, but also really showed how well thought out and built a MINI is.

MINI plastics in my view are better and feel more expensive than the plastics used in 1 and 2 series BMWs.

sfo:

RC, how do you find the JCW's steering for feel and response? Are there any issues with torque steer?

Yes, there are issues but barely noticeable, especially considering the fact that I already have winter tires on the  car. The electronic LSD/dynamic traction control system seem to work well but do not expect wonders from a 231 hp front wheel drive car. It will be interesting to see how well it works with summer tires.

I am also surprised that the car doesn't show much understeer but like I said before, I have winter tires right now and didn't have the chance (yet) to drive the car at the limit. I will do that as soon as the car hits 1000 km (it has 630 km now). 

The steering feel and response is very direct but I mentioned before that it feels a tiny bit detached from the road surface, it is difficult to explain because it is a direct drive feel but as if there is something between the tires and the road surface. This setup has been very likely chosen to reduce torque steer but the steering feel itself is sporty and direct. I can feel almost every single little stone on the road in my 991 GTS steering, not so with the Mini JCW steering.

--

RC:
    sfo:

Yes, there are issues but barely noticeable, especially considering the fact that I already have winter tires on the  car. The electronic LSD/dynamic traction control system seem to work well but do not expect wonders from a 231 hp front wheel drive car. It will be interesting to see how well it works with summer tires.

I am also surprised that the car doesn't show much understeer but like I said before, I have winter tires right now and didn't have the chance (yet) to drive the car at the limit. I will do that as soon as the car hits 1000 km (it has 630 km now). 

The steering feel and response is very direct but I mentioned before that it feels a tiny bit detached from the road surface, it is difficult to explain because it is a direct drive feel but as if there is something between the tires and the road surface. This setup has been very likely chosen to reduce torque steer but the steering feel itself is sporty and direct. I can feel almost every single little stone on the road in my 991 GTS steering, not so with the Mini JCW steering.

sounds like they have improved this Generation JCW torque steer avoidance.

the last gen JCW I drove has the same detached steering feel you mention. Very pointy, yes. Feel, no. Synthetic, yes.

Synthetic, yes, this is a good description. kiss Similar to the first 991 steering feel when they introduced the electric steering. Now they (Porsche) have improved it to perfection, the 991 GTS steering feels really highly analogue and extremely direct. I love it.

What I really like about the new Mini JCW is the small size (kind of) but the much higher level of "maturity" compared to the previous generation(s). I would not get a less powerful version and I would always order the options the car has, both really enhance the driving experience. Wouldn't have been happy with the Mini One, now I am 100% sure (thanks god I listened to my wife this time ).

A few more details:

HUD: Interesting concept (with that plastic screen, apparently the Mini windshield is too curved to use a "direct" projection) but the information displayed could be a tiny bit bigger and more detailed. I miss a boot pressure or oil temperature gauge in the HUD. Actually, the Mini JCW doesn't seem to have an oil temperature or boost pressure gauge at all. You can display the water temperature through the Mini Connect app though, even power and torque. Adding the chrono package would change that but considering where the chrono package resides, I'm not so sure it is a very good option.

Harman Kardon sound system: Highly recommended! Not very good but slightly better (more base available) than the Porsche BOSE system. 

Navigation system: Basically the BMW navigation. Works very well.

Mini Connect/Office: Works well, needs an USB cable to connect (doesn't work through BT, only BT audio is supported). Interesting functions, for example you can use Rhapsody (or other supported music services like Amazon Prime Music) through the Mini navigation command centre, incl. searches. Nice.

Steptronic: Best automatic transmission I ever encountered in a small car. If you set the Steptronic to "S" mode and choose the "S" driving mode as well, you get a perfect (honestly!) throttle/shifting response and a very direct steering feel. Very good setup, the engineers put a lot of work into that.

LED headlights: Wow, best light ever on such a small compact. Amazing. Highly recommended!!!

Chassis: Stiff but still (almost) comfortable. Side roll is quite limited, which is nice. Doesn't feel as go-kart like as my 991 GTS but almost...

Sound (engine/exhaust): Inside the car, you can hear a louder but typical 4-cyl. sound, outside the car the sound is a bit more noticeable and the exhaust makes those crackle/spitting noises when in S mode. Sounds OK but not spectacular but OK enough not to be annoyed...or bored, which is good.

Quality (interior): The quality look and feel is impressive for such a small car, better than BMW's 1 and 2 series for sure. Only downside: When driving on a bad road, you can hear some noises from the material "moving". My 991 GTS is much better in that (was to be expected) but still, very impressive quality for such a small car. Mini has matured.

Visibility: Amazing visibility from the inside, a very good car for the city or for older people/beginners.

Rear view camera: Excellent quality, much better than the quality on my 991 GTS. What is wrong with you, Porsche? enlightened

What do I not like too much?

Well...the fuel gauge for example. Too playful, too gimmicky. A simple and classic fuel gauge would have been nicer.

I also miss a gauge for oil temperature and boost pressure. C'mon, Mini...you can do better. 

The engine cover also looks boring, when you open the engine hood, you are expecting something nice, something worthy of the name JCW but all you get is a simple plastic engine cover with a barely noticeable Twin Turbo Power lettering (not even sure what this "twin turbo" power means since the car has a mono turbo as far as I know).

I also don't know why the Mini JCW comes with 205 tires, they just don't look good on the car. 245s rear, 225s front, best look in my opinion (or 225s all around).

--

RC:

Steptronic: Best automatic transmission I ever encountered in a small car. If you set the Steptronic to "S" mode and choose the "S" driving mode as well, you get a perfect (honestly!) throttle/shifting response and a very direct steering feel. Very good setup, the engineers put a lot of work into that.

that's quite an achievement

autos and small cars/engines generally don't pair comfortably

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690509 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409767 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256030 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235280 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65650 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858437 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774721 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM