Crown

Forum - Thread

Obtaining the pinnacle of my driving life

Hi all,

As I’m fairly new here I thought about giving you guys a short summary of my driving life in anticipation of introducing my newest ride.

I’ve been crazy about cars all my life – starting as a young boy from peering through the windshield from the backseat on the way to the south of France for 8 hours straight. I just couldn’t close my eyes for a second, I found it truly fascinating. In those days one could still push the pedal down without worrying too much about our policing friends waiting behind every corner, so I stared at the speedo climbing to 180 whilst my mother and sister were still prudently awake, until they were vast asleep and the speeds went even higher. I think at that time, cruising at triple digit km/h speeds with a 2 in front meant the world to me. Speed has and will always be a fascinating thing to me.

Then, after a few fairly crappy cars I finally obtained the financial capability to afford on of my Vmax dreams, an Audi RS6 Avant. I had it tuned to about 525 HP and of course, had the limiter removed. Perhaps my age wasn’t all that suitable for that power at the time (I’m still surprised I survived those years) but boy it was fun…I remember a trip where I averaged 251km/h (and on a less enjoyable note, 42l/100km) for a full tank. The car did it all without any sign of fatigue, great stuff and  it will remain on of my all-time V8 favorites.

A few years on I got seriously hooked on the Nordschleife and needed something suitable for it next to my daily drive. Something relatively cheap & light, something that didn’t need thousands of mods and that would forgive a few mistakes here and there without killing me instantly. Not that many alternatives were available, but the R26.R from Renault seemed just perfect. It wasn’t (and still isn’t) the most beautiful creation on the road (I always feel the French stopped designing after they finished the front end), but from a driving perspective it is one of the best FWD cars ever made. The fun one can have with it is simply astonishing, and it ticked all the boxes: cheap, light, forgiving and a 100% ready package to hit the track. It was fast too! There was quite little competition on the Nordschleife when driven hard, and a time of 07:53 BTG is the fastest I obtained.

After about 170 laps in the thing, I started to look for a new car to further improve my driving capabilities, and of course the only way to go was RWD. I wanted something special too, hence the M3 CSL came into sight. I found a good one at my dealer in Switzerland, sold the R26.R, signed the papers and went driving. Fascinating, the change in attitude you need to go from FWD to RWD. You can’t hoon it around without experience, you need to feed it into corners and above all – pay damn good attention. Considering that in the RWD line the M3 CSL is still fairly easy to drive , I knew I had quite a lot of work ahead. Slowly I got accustomed to it, using trackdays and driftdays to further enhance my driving abilities. As of today, I am still learning – even got an E36 328i next to it so that I can drift around corners without worrying too much about financial loss.

Then some time ago, I started to look for an additional ride to complete the garage. The M3 CSL will stay anyway since values seem to be appreciating by the day.

As I was still longing for a V8 burble I considered the CLK63 Black Series. However, after checking out a few I dropped the idea due to too many downsides. The gearbox, the offset steering…my love for it slowly eased away. NEVER start it up though since you’ll instantly forget about all the downsides! The sound is incredibly good – I dare to say probably the best V8 sound available.

As the news broke out about the 991 GT3 fires, and as my colleague (member Porker) was looking at 997 GT3RS’s, my attention was drawn to them as well. I preferred a low mileage gen1 since I consider them to be a bit more reliable and esthetically complete, and colorwise it just had to be a kermit. Luckily I found one in Switzerland with about 10K on the clock in the color of my choice – didn’t hesitate a second, signed the papers and am about to pick it up coming Saturday. Then I’ll join Member Porker with his new ride for a dash through the Vosges Mountains in France, so it is going to be a loooong week of waiting ahead!

--

M3 CSL / Alpina D3 Bi-Turbo Touring / RS2 Avant / GT3RS Kermit

Re: Obtaining the pinnacle of my driving life

What a way to make an entrance! Most welcome dear colleague, I'm counting down the days just as you are (T minus 6 days until collection!). It's going to be one hell of a blast.

wink

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL / 2007 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Great introduction Bacchus!

Congrats for both of you with your new cars kiss

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

Great read, congratulations on the GT3 RS - fantastic color. 

Porker: Congratulations to you too!

Welcome and Congrats Bacchus!
    You guys do realize that we now expect a full photo diary of the trip of kermit and porker's orange baby, right? ;-)
    Would be awesome to have pics of the two brethren together...

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Hi Bacchus, what a great introduction Smiley Your Kermit looks fantastic - IMO the most beautiful RS of the watercooled era Smiley Looking forward to see this beauty  in its natural habitat in the Eifel Smiley @ Frank: orange ??? I must have missed a thread or two.....I can only imagine one car in orange suiting your hobby.....Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 981S white/black/red, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Great write up, amazing way to introduce yourself to the community ! 

Any friend of Porker is a friend of ours here. Welcome to RT and can't wait to hear more about your GT3 experience. 

Thanks for the warm welcome guys kiss

--

Welcom to the forum Bacchus . Thanks for the great write up ! A true pinstonhead like most on this forum blush

Your green RS is beautiful . My favorite color for such a car kiss and the 997.1 RS is getter more beautiful with time . A truly impressive car .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

SmileySmileySmiley

BlueflameSmiley

Welcome! I had the same GT3 RS in green, what a car!

--

1987 911 Carrera 3.2 - 1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2012 Cayenne Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S - 1995 BMW318ti

Congrats ! kiss

Congrats and welcome! Smiley Loved your story and photos. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

Congrats and welcome! Smiley Loved your story and photos. Smiley

+1 Smiley

Another 'channel' to congratulate you! 

Plenty of time soon to chat on the subject of your acquisition.

1395682288447image.jpgCongrats, welcome to the club! enjoy your Kermit, weather should soon improve again. what about the prospect of a Swiss frog gathering?

Cheers

Mike

Thanks again all!

Great pic Mike, I wouldn't say no to a nice gathering. Head into Ticino and enjoy some good food as well!

--

Welcome! wink Great introduction.

A get together, drive over a pass into Ticino and enjoy some good food sounds like a plan. Count me in indecision

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Welcome and congrats for your new toy.

--

J.Seven

The first 1000 kms are history!

Picked up the beauties last night so we could set off first thing this morning. And what a beautiful day it was! Blue skies and sunshine all over, just perfect weather for a drive through the French Vosges. We mostly took upon the Grand Ballon and the Ballon d'Alsace - I was a bit startled to see that the whole place was still deserted, despite the weather! Guess not a lot of tourist gambled on enjoying dry, warm weather and sunshine end of March. Well, I'm not gonna complain about empty roads, that's for sure!

It's quite difficult to put my feelings into words when it comes to this thing. It is absolutely amazing how this car connects you to the road, as if your brains are directly connected with your tires and the road. It communicates everything so perfectly, absolutely fascinating.                                                                                                                                  I definitely have to get used to the different driving style this beast requires. I need to stay above 4000rpm to have sufficient torque, delay my braking a bit to set it in the corners, and above all - I need to learn not to underestimate the speed at which you're travelling. This thing is bloody fast! I'm looking forward to getting to know it more closely in the coming years.

A few impressions from today:

--

Welcome to the board! Congrats on the beautiful and stunning GT3RS, what a machine. 

I applaud your garage, it's right up my alley. My all time favorites are the e46 M3 CSL and the RS2 is just a legend. Not to mention you now have probably the best porsche made to date! Looking forward to many many more beautiful pictures and updates! 

Cheers from Canada 

I am very close to pulling the trigger on an APLINA B10 #76 of 507 e34 made! Would be great to see pics of your D3

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Thanks mate!

B10 looks stunning in that colorcombo - go for it! kiss

--

Couldn't resist - got up this morning and went for a drive smiley

Visited the old Reims F1 circuit which was pending on my bucketlist. A bit sad it's in decay, but you can still very much taste the heritage there. The guys back then must have been completely nuts, barreling down there just a shy of 200mph in the sixties!

A few pics of today

]

--

Gorgeous Bacchus, really stunning car and love the pictures!
    It's always a mixed feeling to see remains of human culture with so much heritage turning to dust.

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Gorgeous pics mate. That is a very cool setting for a photo shoot. You mean to say that that bit of straight road was the actual race track? It's very skinny for a race track and I see some bumps etc... it must've been a very tough track to race on! 

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Great photos! The perfect background kiss

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

What a beautiful photo, your RS in the Reims old circuit pit lane. I hope that this place will be preserved , it is a piece of racing history.

Anyone who can call themselves an owner of a 997.1 RS, especially in those colors, is a very lucky driver. The 997 looks so amazingly fresh. Bacchus, thank you for sharing your story with us :)

--

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS 

These cars look as good as when they came out . The complete shape is very balanced , all is perfectly integrated and the colors will be timeless .  I can see the 997.1 RS being the most desirable  in the years to come .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I agree with you Gnil. Who in their right mind sells these beauties anyway?

--

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    808352 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    450174 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267589 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90831 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7748 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

888185 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    837062 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM