Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: ATTENTION 991 GT3 Owners: DO NOT use your car anymore!!! (Recall)

throt:

You guys should store the car at home till the OPC is told about the fix and is ready to carry it out. That would be my choice.

Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I see in the news that they have isolated the problem, fixed it and are testing the fix. It seems that the end may be in sight.

john999s:

I see in the news that they have isolated the problem, fixed it and are testing the fix. It seems that the end may be in sight.

They know the cause but... I rather think that DPA caught up with the Australian Porsche speaker and his claims a couple of days ago and this news made it around the world. Smiley So far, there is nothing official from Porsche yet but will come soon (weird, I actually thought today but... Smiley). 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-14/porsche-forecasts-stable-profit-on-china-investment-cost.html

It was reported here and then in Autocar et al. 

Porsche is one screwed up company. They send a note to the dealers in the US on Friday saying all customers will be called today Monday and the dealers were to get the "letter" first thing this morning. So far nothing. Germans…….

Old news that was last week. Porsche said they would spill the beans today. Let's see.

john999s:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-14/porsche-forecasts-stable-profit-on-china-investment-cost.html

It was reported here and then in Autocar et al. 

So...did you read something about a solution or a fix or when this is going to be over? Smiley

Cheers. Smiley

--

ClockEm:

Porsche is one screwed up company. They send a note to the dealers in the US on Friday saying all customers will be called today Monday and the dealers were to get the "letter" first thing this morning. So far nothing. Germans…….

1. Monday isn't over yet and especially in the US, it just started.

2. Germans? Smiley I get Italians or Mexicans and even Canadians but now Germans? Smiley

Oh boy... Smiley

--

Well I posted a summary if what I had read as I hadn't seen it here. Make of it what you will :)

"Dear _____________

[Title] [Last_Name]:

As advised previously, engineers at Porsche AG have been conducting technical analysis of the Porsche 911 GT3 engine in order to find a solution to the problem which led us to recommend you stop driving your car.

This analysis is now completed, and we would like to inform you about the cause of the problem and the planned remedial actions.

As already communicated, two vehicles in Europe suffered engine damage, causing the vehicles to catch fire.

Analysis has revealed that in both cases the engine damage was caused by a loosened piston rod screw connection which damaged the crankcase. In order to avoid this in the future, an optimized screw connection is currently being tested. For the final validation of this solution, Porsche AG is currently carrying out extensive tests.

At Porsche we are rigorous when implementing an engineering solution, therefore, after the successful testing and validation we will be installing new engines with optimized piston rod screw connections in all 2014 Porsche 911 GT3 vehicles.

Due to the complexity of the necessary arrangement, we are currently unable to provide you with a specific workshop date for your Porsche 911 GT3. We will be arranging an appointment with you individually, as soon as the logistics planning is finalized. We will be providing you with additional information within the next three weeks.

We continue to remain committed to supporting your individual needs during this time.

Your personal contact person will make contact with you within the next days to discuss individual solutions to bridge the gap until you are reunited with your Porsche 911 GT3.

Thank you very much for your patience and your loyalty to the Porsche brand.

Kind regards,

Tim Quinn

Vice President, AfterSales

Porsche Cars North America, Inc."

--
    '07 Cayenne TT '06 Ruf RT12 '06 GT3 '06 Jeep SRT8 '03 911 TT '99 MB E55 '98 Evo 5 '87 BMW M3

Interesting.  Glad it's only the rod bolts - the rods themselves would be a bigger issue for re-design.  Substituing rod bolts is easy as there are many to choose from already made...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

The statement did not make it clear or definite that the con rods themselves are not involved. Notice the wording: "screw connection", not "screw" (they use screw to mean bolt, presumably). The screw or bolt connection involves the con rod itself, obviously.

KMM:

The statement did not make it clear or definite that the con rods themselves are not involved. Notice the wording: "screw connection", not "screw" (they use screw to mean bolt, presumably). The screw or bolt connection involves the con rod itself, obviously.

Good point

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

New engines then, I think that's a good news. But it will take some time to happen and will cost Porshe a small fortune...

Nick, if they change them all it will not affect resale whatsoever as long as they are fixed correctly. I read above that changing an engine is a 2 hour job? Well Porsche charged my insurance company 55 hours of labor to change the engine on a Cayenne...

SciFrog:

New engines then, I think that's a good news. But it will take some time to happen and will cost Porshe a small fortune...

Nick, if they change them all it will not affect resale whatsoever as long as they are fixed correctly. I read above that changing an engine is a 2 hour job? Well Porsche charged my insurance company 55 hours of labor to change the engine on a Cayenne...

Guys...if you read my posts from a couple of days ago... Smiley

You really need to start reading between the lines and no, I cannot always say everything we know because of the people (sources) involved. A little bit of trust would help though... Smiley

--

Any idea on when new engines will be available? I have a good friend whose GT3 will need its engine replaced

--

2014 Porsche 991 C4S Black with Sports Design Package,  2013 Porsche Cayenne Dark Blue Metallic, 2015 Porsche MACAN S (May 2014 Delivery) New York

SciFrog:

..... if they change them all it will not affect resale whatsoever as long as they are fixed correctly.....

That's a shame - there was me hoping to pick up a nice unloved GT3 for close to the price of my 4 year old 997 C2S - which has a nice reliable proven engine.... ah well, dream on...Smiley

OPC Swindon had FOUR new GT3's in their compound when I was there last Wednesday..Smiley

Seriously I hope this problem gets resolved quickly so you guys can get out there and enjoy your great cars..Smiley

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

bobr:

Any idea on when new engines will be available? I have a good friend whose GT3 will need its engine replaced

German dealers haven't received any new engines as far as I heard, so it may take a while... Smiley

A rumor indicates April for the first batch of engines delivered to German dealers but it doesn't say early April, mid April or end of April, so it can be anything from April 1st Smiley to April 30th. I assume it could take longer for a US delivery but I could be wrong (if Porsche air ships the engines, they should be in the US quite fast).

I was quite shocked when I saw a new GT3 on the road last Saturday. Some owners seem to take this lightly. Smiley I actually thought that all cars are already at dealers but apparently I was wrong.

--

RC: I can confirm that not all GT3 are back to dealers... Few/some owners continue to use their car...!

Now, I'm waiting for the delivery date. Because I've already missed the beginning of the track season... :(

RC:
    bobr:

German dealers haven't received any new engines as far as I heard, so it may take a while... Smiley

A rumor indicates April for the first batch of engines delivered to German dealers but it doesn't say early April, mid April or end of April, so it can be anything from April 1st Smiley to April 30th. I assume it could take longer for a US delivery but I could be wrong (if Porsche air ships the engines, they should be in the US quite fast).

I was quite shocked when I saw a new GT3 on the road last Saturday. Some owners seem to take this lightly. Smiley I actually thought that all cars are already at dealers but apparently I was wrong.

--

Problem with taking it back to the dealer is many cars will sit outside exposed to the elements. The stop sale was on Feb.6th and by the time the car gets an engine replacement it could sit outside for three months. So owners are just leaving their cars in their garage.

Driving the car is stupid. Porsche will not reimburse the insurance company if they have to pay. The insurance company could hassle the owner and refuse to pay because his actions undermined their ability to collect from Porsche. Not to mention that the car could ignite while stuck in traffic and expose many innocent people to personal injury.

I have a GT3 order from Germany for one of my friends. The car was in production at the beginning of March and then Porsche stops deliveries. Today, I had an e-mail and was told that the engine of the car will be replaced. The car is still at the factory.

I have the German Latter from Porsche. So If you are interested about the latter, PM me your e-mail so that I can send it to you. 

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

pride355:

I have a GT3 order from Germany for one of my friends. The car was in production at the beginning of March and then Porsche stops deliveries. Today, I had an e-mail and was told that the engine of the car will be replaced. The car is still at the factory.

I have the German Latter from Porsche. So If you are interested about the latter, PM me your e-mail so that I can send it to you. 

Onur, thank you but I guess this is something everybody already knows by now. We discussed this for quite a while. The moment engines arrive at dealers, customers will be informed. Porsche (and dealers) want to end this painful situation as fast as possible, also because many of those who already have a car and cannot use it, are using loaners and they cost quite some money, both the dealers and Porsche.

As far as I heard, customers who already have a car have priority for the engine install (which makes sense).

--

RC:
    pride355:

Onur, thank you but I guess this is something everybody already knows by now. We discussed this for quite a while. The moment engines arrive at dealers, customers will be informed. Porsche (and dealers) want to end this painful situation as fast as possible, also because many of those who already have a car and cannot use it, are using loaners and they cost quite some money, both the dealers and Porsche.

As far as I heard, customers who already have a car have priority for the engine install (which makes sense).

--

I heard the cars waiting at the factory are in the front line for the engine exchange since the gt3 line has stopped. But who knows. This is a fresh news for me since I had the e-mail today. If the car had already imported to Turkey, it will not be good to change the engine because 2. Hand market is too cautious about this kind of things. People don't want to buy such cars. Anyway, this is only Turkish Market.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

There is no GT3 line. The cars have been removed from the production line. The production is mixed...GT3...Carrera...Turbo/S.... If they would have kept the GT3 on the production line, the whole production would have stopped. 

Regarding the engine exchange: Porsche plans in Germany to have new car documents issued, incl. the new engine numbers. So an exchange will be untraceable as a favor to customers. Not sure this is going to work though, it needs to be approved by the authorities. I can imagine they will try to do the same with other car markets. An alternative could be a compensation for the owners but this needs to be done individually and discussed with the dealers. A little advice here: Don't sell yourself too cheap if you get what I mean. Smiley

--

My friends April manufacturing date for his  GT3 has been  rescheduled to September - October and it will be  a 2015 model. Not the end of the world, but will miss this years driving season.

--

2014 Porsche 991 C4S Black with Sports Design Package,  2013 Porsche Cayenne Dark Blue Metallic, 2015 Porsche MACAN S (May 2014 Delivery) New York

Thanks bobr,

i hope this means my june date becomes nov-dec....  I will ask....

bobr:

My friends April manufacturing date for his  GT3 has been  rescheduled to September - October and it will be  a 2015 model. Not the end of the world, but will miss this years driving season.

Heard the same news from my friend with a GT3 on order -- now MY 2015 and can re-spec the car.

--

Mike

Carrera GT + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T + GT3 RS 4.0

From NHTSA.  

Note: Owners are advised not to drive their vehicles until the engine has been replaced.

So I guess it is safe to say now, that even in the US, driving the 991 GT3 right now (before the engine has been replaced) poses a serious legal risk. Don't do that.

--

RC:
    not to drive their vehicles until the engine has been replaced.

So I guess it is safe to say now, that even in the US, driving the 991 GT3 right now (before the engine has been replaced) poses a serious legal risk. Don't do that.

If Porsche is not reaching a GT3 owner, .e.g. if someone is not living at his fixed residence currently and /or he never gave the dealer his cell phone number. That's not impossible. What then, in case of a critical incident?

jesse:
    RC:
    not to drive their vehicles until the engine has been replaced.

If Porsche is not reaching a GT3 owner, .e.g. if someone is not living at his fixed residence currently and /or he never gave the dealer his cell phone number. That's not impossible. What then, in case of a critical incident?

I guess it depends. If something happens and the owner can prove that he didn't know anything... Smiley Not easy though, the media (press, internet, whatever) was full of reports about the GT3 incidents and recall, so it would be very difficult to prove that an owner didn't know. Also, in some countries, like Germany, the authorities are informing the registered owner of the car at his fixed residence address. People are required in Germany, for legal reasons, to provide a forwarding address if you are not available at your registered fixed residence address. The authorities (police, tax office, etc.) need to be able to reach you and it is your responsibility to make that sure (in Germany...not sure about other countries). 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    809283 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    450610 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267943 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91116 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7932 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

888886 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    838942 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM