Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Satellite Aided Transmission is now reality

People often joke about all the new driving aids and  what, for example,  the GT-R can do …… stating that the next step will be an inboard map of every track  linked to the auto transmission that will choose the right gear for each corner .

This is now  reality Smiley

The new Rolls Royce Wraith has Satellite Aided Transmission and the GPS chooses the gear for you .

I guess that would also work well on the Nurburgring Smiley

Check it out :  ( and lets see when this will start being built into ' normal' cars   )

1382705481795Sans titre.tiff

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Re: Satellite Aided Transmission is now reality

RC & Nick will get this asap on the next software update indecision

The Audi A8 has had this feature for several years, since the introduction of the D4.

http://www.audi.co.uk/new-cars/a8/a8/integrated-technology.html

BjoernB:

I love those who think they are the coolest drivers because they drive powerful cars with manual transmission. I love even more their faces when they get their asses handed over on a plate by an "automatic" driver (happened to me very often when I had my 997 Turbo RUF 550 with Tiptronic). Smiley

Wer austeilt, muss auch einstecken können. Smiley

Oh yes, I get it: You have more fun, you are more involved. Understood, you love being slow. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Smiley

A rule to be successful is WHEN GIVEN AN ADVANTAGE TAKE IT!Smiley

RC:

Oh yes, I get it: You have more fun, you are more involved. Understood, you love being slow. Smiley

I love it Smiley

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Seems that the gearbox linked to the GPS is on it's way to conquer all cars in a not so long distance .

Next step will be that the satellite tracking will keep the distances for you  + respect the speed limits .

It is actually the only way to go on our congested roads in order to have more car and less jams + crashes.

Not fun but functional

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

RC:
    BjoernB:

I love those who think they are the coolest drivers because they drive powerful cars with manual transmission. I love even more their faces when they get their asses handed over on a plate by an "automatic" driver (happened to me very often when I had my 997 Turbo RUF 550 with Tiptronic). Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Smiley - I don't have a ego problem NOT driving the fastest car Smiley Smiley

Gnil:

Seems that the gearbox linked to the GPS is on it's way to conquer all cars in a not so long distance .

Next step will be that the satellite tracking will keep the distances for you  + respect the speed limits .

It is actually the only way to go on our congested roads in order to have more car and less jams + crashes.

Not fun but functional

Insurance companies, car producers and police all will love the invention of the eCall system Smiley

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECall

Though the GPS gearbox link soon will become redundant as soon as electric cars will be the only choice....Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 981S white/black/red, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

SAVE THE RING ! It will be the only place left to have fun indecision

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

BjoernB:
    RC:
    BjoernB:

--

Smiley - I don't have a ego problem NOT driving the fastest car Smiley Smiley

Nor do I.   For me, slow is by far more friendly to the wallet and the license as the Chicago Ruling Class feel it necessary to install speed cameras on many a street.  

Ok, so faster is better. I'm fine with that in principle. But a computer will always do what you do faster. 

So next time, when they tell you that you're not allowed to use the steering wheel yourself because the car+GPS+computer will do a better and a faster job than you, you won't complain either, right?

With that kind of reasoning, a human should not be allowed to sit behind the wheel, period. A computer will always shift, brake, accelerate & steer better and faster than you can. 

To be honest, we should all pray for that technology to fail miserably. Otherwise, you're not going to be allowed to drive anymore. You'll arrive faster to your destination though... 

amazon:

Ok, so faster is better. I'm fine with that in principle. But a computer will always do what you do faster. 

So next time, when they tell you that you're not allowed to use the steering wheel yourself because the car+GPS+computer will do a better and a faster job than you, you won't complain either, right?

With that kind of reasoning, a human should not be allowed to sit behind the wheel, period. A computer will always shift, brake, accelerate & steer better and faster than you can. 

To be honest, we should all pray for that technology to fail miserably. Otherwise, you're not going to be allowed to drive anymore. You'll arrive faster to your destination though... 

Luddite Alert.  I've learned, from the 991 GT3 section, that technology is the only way to go and another harboring any disagreement, is just that, old, slow, and disagreeable.  Technology is the solution to going fast so I can't wait for the self-driving GT3.

Remember the time when "experts" (or delusional technology scared people) predicted that computers will take away all jobs, all feelings, all fun, all humanity and what not and now look at us. No robot sex yet. 

On a more serious note: There is a huge difference between technology helping you and technology replacing you. 

--

RC:

Remember the time when "experts" (or delusional technology scared people) predicted that computers will take away all jobs, all feelings, all fun, all humanity and what not and now look at us. No robot sex yet. 

On a more serious note: There is a huge difference between technology helping you and technology replacing you. 

Ask Airbus, Air France and the families of the victims about that particular subject.  And you may want to include the flight crew from Asiana with the completely awesome non-instrument landing at SFO earlier this year.

CGX car nut:
    RC:

Ask Airbus, Air France and the families of the victims about that particular subject.  And you may want to include the flight crew from Asiana with the completely awesome non-instrument landing at SFO earlier this year.

Technology isn't always fool proof. Smiley

Maybe I should use Walter Röhrl's comment about the 991 Turbo S to end this: You have to be a complete idiot to crash the new 991 Turbo S. Point made.

--

RC:
    CGX car nut:
    RC:

Technology isn't always fool proof. Smiley

Maybe I should use Walter Röhrl's comment about the 991 Turbo S to end this: You have to be a complete idiot to crash the new 991 Turbo S. Point made.

Guess what?  Make those cars easier drive, they become more accessible to the idiot driver, and that idiot driver is more apt take the car to the limit and beyond.  I've meet more than enough Porsche drivers, several with multiple Porsche purchases, that barely had enough skill to use a manual transmission, making the car more accessible to a broader audience will incur more "incidents" of driver error.  While Walter Röhrl is a tremendous driver, I doubt he has much experience with far numerous ham-fisted driver.  

You couldn't be more wrong: In Europe, everybody drives stick, automatic transmissions are not common with the usual driver, so manual transmissions do not prevent idiot drivers. Another point made. wink

This whole "manual magic" driving myth is very alive in the US but not so much over here. Simply because most cars have manual and everybody learns driving stick.

As to Walter Röhrl's comment: He was actually referring to the typical Porsche driver, not to beginners or real idiots. Smiley My wife would crash my 991 Turbo S within the first day, so would any beginner driving the car. 

--

RC:

You couldn't be more wrong: In Europe, everybody drives stick, automatic transmissions are not common with the usual driver, so manual transmissions do not prevent idiot drivers. Another point made. wink

This whole "manual magic" driving myth is very alive in the US but not so much over here. Simply because most cars have manual and everybody learns driving stick.

As to Walter Röhrl's comment: He was actually referring to the typical Porsche driver, not to beginners or real idiots. Smiley My wife would crash my 991 Turbo S within the first day, so would any beginner driving the car. 

--

Europe is not the entire world, even Porsche realizes that with its increased emphasis on China and India. 

Returning to the manual issues: if one owns a manual car, one is literally assured of having a carjacking proof car as so few people can drive a manual in the States. 

I actually wanted to say the same...the US is not the entire world. indecision

wink

--

RC:

wink

You really think that the drivers of India and China are skilled?  Those two countries are approximately 1/3 of world's population.

CGX car nut:
    RC:

wink

You really think that the drivers of India and China are skilled?  Those two countries are approximately 1/3 of world's population.

I haven't said that but they are more used to manual than to auto trannies.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    810423 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    451024 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    268385 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91400 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    8212 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

889648 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    844465 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM