Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2013 Japanese F1 Grand Prix at Suzuka

After dominant wins in Singapore and Korea, Vettel is favourite to win in Japan.

The destination of both titles is no longer in doubt (apart from highly unlikely mathematical possibilities) so it's just a question of when not if.

The Koreans were too polite and respectful to boo and I expect the Japanese will be the same.

Interesting comment from Hamilton: "He [Vettel] is not unbeatable. His car is unbeatable".

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Re: 2013 Japanese F1 Grand Prix at Suzuka

It makes Webber look really bad, think he has half the points Vettel has. Of course this is all bad luck and the fact that RB can only build one competitive car.

But this way it is really boring, hope next season will be better...

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

I can now understand the boredom for some in seeing a Schumacher/Barrichello one/two finish happen so many times. However, as long as Vettel wins with only a very few appearances of another RedBull driver on the podium; it is still quite interesting! 

Unfortunately this year there is no driver's championship, only two types of constructor's championships 

BTW, I doubt that Webber ("second" driver, leaving this season, and clashing in and out of the track with Vettel) has had the same car as Vettel anymore... and I doubt we will be seeing Webber on the podium again before he leaves F1.

--

Webby luck is woeful. Soon after his announcement regarding moving to Porsche his pace really quickened up, keeping Vett very honest during qualifications. Then one of the first bad luck hiccups was that dodgy pit stop during a race with one if his wheels flying off ( forgot what track that was at ). It just seemed ( to me anyway ) that when he showed true pace the bad luck come tumbling back. Don't get me wrong, I think Vett is a great driver but his car just seems to pull away from the rest of them.

I would have loved to see Hulkenberg in a RBR, that guy carries great pace....

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Check out the latest Sport Auto Magazin - they explain the functionality of the RB - and the FACT that this car needs clean air to work - so if you drive from pole it's by far the fastest (which I guess we all see all the time Vettel opening up gaps of 2 seconds plus afte the start) if you have distorted air - the car has HUGE problems managing its tires and working properly aerodynamically - hence if you're starting more in the back as Weber - you have problems like everybody else. Kudos to Vettel that he qualifies where he does - but if he doesn't (or cannot pass the Mercedes asap) he faces the same problems as everybody. I still admire Kimi the most being able to get on podium starting 9-10th with a Lotus - to me he's by far the best driver currently....

Webber's new chassis for Suzuka didn't seem to upset his performance  smiley

According to the commentators, he used to have a special lighter weight chassis to offset his being heavier than Vettel; but no longer so on the new car!  Well it makes sense that this chassis was probably a back-up for Vettel and they were not going out of their way for Webber; but perhaps if they hadn't been doing him so many favors and just given him the same as Vettel in the first place, things might have gone a bit better for him all along 

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/10/13/2013-japanese-grand-prix-lap-times-and-fastest-laps-2/

Webber's 1st pit stop was on lap 17. At that point, he was still on a 2 pit stop strategy.

After the 1st pit stop, his team told him to move to a 3 pit stop strategy.

Have a look at Webber's lap times for his 2nd stint (using the tool in the link above). They are all consistently around 1 min 37 secs. His tyres were not finished.

But they brought Webber in to the pits for an early 2nd pit stop so that Vettel could leapfrog Webber by making a longer 2nd stint.

Why? Because RBR knew Webber would not let Vettel past.

Some may call this a conspiracy theory but Ted Kravitz on Sky Sports F1 said the same thing on Ted's Race Notebook and so did Gary Anderson on the BBC F1 post-race Forum.

What surprises me most is why RBR feel they need to do this. Vettel will win this year's title very easily from this position. He doesn't need the team to scupper Webber's race strategy. Vettel will be this year's champion. Most probably in India. If not, then at the following race.

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Because it's not over until it's over. Very good thinking on behalf of Horner, irrespective of whether someone agrees on principle or not.

What is the point of the SF's team orders to Massa?

--

"Form follows function"

I totally agree, easy, as soon as Webby fines some pace something seems to come in to play.

RBR are not going to let Mark and Seb come anywhere near each other, if they did Seb could well end up off the track allowing Alonso to catch up a bit in the points.

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

The Telegraph just had an online poll amongts its english readers on if Vettel was a great driver or had a great car, and the poll was who was the greatest driver of all time, here are the results... Not many of the voters seem to be impressed by Vettel 

1381778819423Untitled-1.jpg

--

I don't think this poll is a valid conclusion in anyway (see Lauda, Piquet and Prost), like most on-line polls.

Anyway, FA fans can at least find something to rejoice from this "distinction" since the true Titles are regularly lost.

Alonso: " Signore Di Montezemolo, I lost the Title again this year, but I finished in the Daily Telegraph online poll"

--

"Form follows function"

Carlos, sorry man, I think Alonso is a very talented driver but I can't trust a poll where Sir Stirling Moss gets 0% and Fangio less than 5%....

or I could trust it if I take under account the general public's lack of info on the subject and I change the poll's question too "who do you like more?". Alonso has a very good public image.

--

There is no try. Just do.

Sky Sports F1 did a poll. Better than The Telegraph poll since it just focussed on Vettel and so didn't make unfair comparisons across eras (where there can be a skew towards today's drivers).

Sky Sports F1 Poll - 13.10.13

Is Vettel a living legend in F1?

Yes 37%
    No 63%

Is Vettel the best driver of the 2013 grid?

Yes 27%
    No 73%

Do you like the finger celebration?

Yes 31%
    No 69%

Would you like to hear more from Vettel (eg via Twitter)?

Yes 31%
    No 69%

--

reginos:

I don't think this poll is a valid conclusion in anyway (see Lauda, Piquet and Prost), like most on-line polls.

Anyway, FA fans can at least find something to rejoice from this "distinction" since the true Titles are regularly lost.

It is what it is, Vettel can win as many tittles as he wants that until he wins one in similar terms than the other drivers he won't be considered a great driver. Kimi, Alonso and Hamilton are a class above Vettel.

--

Pentium:

Carlos, sorry man, I think Alonso is a very talented driver but I can't trust a poll where Sir Stirling Moss gets 0% and Fangio less than 5%....

or I could trust it if I take under account the general public's lack of info on the subject and I change the poll's question too "who do you like more?". Alonso has a very good public image.

Don't get me wrong, I agree 1005 with you there, anytime you compare drivers across different ages, the result is useless, you simply cannot. But the poll does compare two current drivers and the result can't be more obvious.

--

easy_rider911:

Sky Sports F1 did a poll. Better than The Telegraph poll since it just focussed on Vettel and so didn't make unfair comparisons across eras (where there can be a skew towards today's drivers).

Sky Sports F1 Poll - 13.10.13

Is Vettel a living legend in F1?

Yes 37%
    No 63%

Is Vettel the best driver of the 2013 grid?

Yes 27%
    No 73%

Do you like the finger celebration?

Yes 31%
    No 69%

Would you like to hear more from Vettel (eg via Twitter)?

Yes 31%
    No 69%

Didn't know about that poll, very interesting as well, thanks Smiley

--

Carlos from Spain:

It is what it is, Vettel can win as many tittles as he wants that until he wins one in similar terms than the other drivers he won't be considered a great driver. Kimi, Alonso and Hamilton are a class above Vettel.

I still remember Vettel giving some very impressive performances as a loaner driver to the BMW/Sauber team. They did not have the car to make him look better than he really was! I still think that Vettel is right there in the same class as Kimi, Alonso, and Hamilton. The four of them are each and every one excellent!

I do still favor Alonso if only for the days of watching him against Schumacher (my real favorite) when you could watch in car and see Michael constantly adjusting darn near everything on his steering wheel to get everything out of every corner while Alonso was just too smooth. Little time adjusting anything and less steering input. He appeared to have either tremendous skill or 'magic' on his side.

My dream team would have been Alonso and Hamilton, but since that has already been tried  Smiley

I would go with Alonso and Kimi : Oh golly that is next year's Ferrari lineup isn't it?

Last I heard Mercedes engine development is well ahead of Renault, and little info from Ferrari.

Just my thoughts, but in 2014 RBR might get bested by STR (their junior team)   Smiley

Carlos from Spain:
    reginos:

Everybody finds a way to elevate his favourite driver in such arguments. But the true test is the track and the results IMO. F1 seasons especially in the modern era are very long and variable and no fluke could consistently win to become a multi title winner. Motorsport is man and machine together and the quality of the car is an essential part of the package. It is not banger racing.

Some other points:

The all time best for me is Lauda. 0.95% in this poll! and Prost little above that! Ridiculous! Apparently the replies came from people who don't know much about F1 history, schoolboys and casual F1 viewers most probably.

Hamilton and Raikkonen don't figure at all! Strange!

As to the "finger celebration" why all the fuss, I don't understand.

i don't rate Alonso's chances for 2014 very highly too. The best turbo engines will come from Renault and Mercedes. The Mercedes engine is already 80 HP more powerful and 10kg lighter than the rest, according to rumours. And Alonso will have to deal first with Raikkonen, a real winner instead of the feeble Massa.

--

"Form follows function"

Vettel is a very good driver. He is very technical, he is very disciplined and he isn't too emotional. You cannot win four championships if you are a bad driver or if the car is better than the others. At some point, you make a mistake and you're done. Vettel didn't make many mistakes.

The antipathy campaign started against him by various groups, especially from English speaking regions but also Spain (sorry, Carlos) is unjustified. Remember what the Spanish press wrote about the so called Vettel's "illegal" passing (Alonso) maneuver? It was clear that they were wrong, that Alonso was wrong and even Ecclestone was pretty mad at Ferrari because of that.

Btw: I couldn't care less about who is F1 champion or not, simply because I don't care about car races (ANY car races). Either I drive myself or I don't care.  So please don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to keep Vettel's flag up the pole but I hate emotional accusations based on antipathy, mass hypnosis/hysteria (just look at soccer in some countries...not a soccer fan either) and make believe.

Vettel is an amazing driver in an amazing car and he will win again. Next year, it is maybe someone's elses chance, if the driver AND the car are perfect.

Now kill me.  indecision

wink

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Slowly... Hi hi hi... Kill him slowly... smiley

Go Vettel!

Kill me too! angry

--

There is no try. Just do.

I would add the following:

Is the RBR the best car? Looking at Webber's season the answer is No. Some might even say that it is Vettel's talent  that elevates the car to its high level..

Even if RBR were the best car, when we factor in the consummate ease with which Vettel is leaving everything in his stride, the objective observer will have to recognize a true Formula One genious.

Others, have won in superior cars but not with the comfort that Vettel is winning. Damon Hill and Villeneuve come to my mind, who finally won one Title each with the superior Williams, but not after struggling and in the case of HIll after losing twice against Schumacher.

--

"Form follows function"

Too funny, Vettel 3% on this one too! 

http://autosprint.corrieredellosport.it/

They should have included Vettel's RBR car intead of Vettel's name on the poll, would of gotten many more votes angrybroken heart

1381959802166Untitled-1.jpg

Must be the brittish, the Italians, the spanish etc are all biased on the same direction, except the germans who are objective Smiley

--

Jealousy, my friend. The sour grapes syndrome. 

If you cannot win in the races, win in these funny polls.

--

"Form follows function"

Yes, and having Mr.Grumpy-I-Was-Beaten-By-A-Rookie- Fred at the top of all these polls, in front of even Senna, talks so much about their credibility! Comical.

I also can't take these polls seriously . The gap between Alonso and the others is far too big + most people do not even remember or did not know the past pilots + the are taken by  what they see now .

I used to be a fan of Vettel , at his beginning in F1 as he did show true talent . I am not found of him anymore because of his personality , but , as said, someone who wins 4 titles in a row does have talent .

Alonso is also very talented and specially pretty smart  . Now I am not found of him either .

Next year will be interesting in the Ferrari team...... I hope both drivers will get the same cars/support , but I am not convinced about that .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

A good one on SV from Chris Harris:

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=28668

Seems like the sanity finally prevails everywhere...

Spot on kiss

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Four championships, Newey-assisted or not, in an era of Hamilton, Alonso, Raikkonen, is perhaps the most remarkable run of success in the history of the sport.

Nice CH views. I find these polls pretty stupid to be honest. I do not understand the sheer dissatisfaction and disbelieve in talent that is shown about Vettel. I'm guessing he has become too successful for his own good, but yet I find that people respond even harsher than in the Schumacher era. Just step back and think about what it takes to be driving home 4 championships in this era, given the competition.

I am a big fan of Vettel, ever since his amazing race in 2008. He is one of the best if not THE BEST driver period. Does that mean Alonso or Kimi aren't? Nope they are amazing too. The fact that Vettel is personal friends with Kimi shows a lot about his character that the public isn't seeing.. What I like about Vettel is that he's grown so fast, kept his quality behind the wheel and is still focused and not too worried about what other people think or say. I mean some calling that he has a faster car in the grid is just pathetic IMO... Especially when others yet (Rosberg etc) are proving those sore losers wrong.

He came and built a team around himself and has been dominating much like Schumacher. I wonder what Alonso's problem is... At Ferrari it must be getting embarrassing to think that Red Bull is beating you 4 years in a row!! Next year will be very interesting at Ferrari. The statistics will show who is better, assuming they will get the same car.. at this point I fear Ferrari may not even be able to construct two equal performing cars broken heart

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    810533 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    451054 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    268410 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91422 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    8230 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

889678 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    844675 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM