Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 targa

RC:
    TomSilver:

Yes, on the german forums they discuss that the Targa will have no back seats, which I find hard to believe. Being a 2+2 seater was always a 911 trademark. But now even RC mentioned it, so it seems to be possible. 

I just know that there was some sort of issue with the back seats but the latest thing I heard was that the back seats are there but can only be used with the roof closed. Not sure how Porsche solved this problem, if there was such a problem, so it remains to be seen. I think that one German car magazine claimed that there won't be any back seats at all but in my opinion, this would actually "kill" the Targa. 

Why instal a glass roof that takes space when opened? They could use a canvas roof that rolls open into the fixed part of the roof. Similar to the Lancia (Beta) Monte Carlo.

On the Mercedes you unload your luggage to open the roof, on the Porsche you unload your passengers. Ridiculous yes

--

"Form follows function"

RC:

I think Suzy ordered a C4S, not a Turbo. In her place, I would have sold the Boxster S and changed the C4S order to a 991 Turbo Cab. angry

Now you talking Smiley

--

SportCarGroup:

BTW Suzy, you realy want to change your mind from Turbo to Targa? The performance figures are so different....or woman choosing the car judging exterior look only?

I didn't order a Turbo. I ordered a C4S in stone grey metallic. Wanted white metallic, but they (someone at zuffenhausen, don't gonna say his name) said it was not feasible. Problem was that 3 weeks later there was a white metallic Turbo in front of me at the IAA in Frankfurt and i got really pissed. That car looked beautiful and must have been in production at the point  I asked for that color. Felt like they lied to me. That's why I had an appointment last week. They made their apologies for giving me the wrong information and said they didn't have the right information theirselves. I could have changed to the oryx white, but i was curious about the Targa (my favourite model of the old cars). That's why I canceled and decided to wait untill end december/early january.

But if that doesn't have usable backseats (at least as usable as the coupe) it's no option for me. There would be no need to upgrade from my boxster in that case. Performance isn't the most important facor for me. I would buy something else than a Porsche if that was the case. Smiley

--

I'm just another female petrolhead :)

SuzyF:
    SportCarGroup:

BTW Suzy, you realy want to change your mind from Turbo to Targa? The performance figures are so different....or woman choosing the car judging exterior look only?

I didn't order a Turbo. I ordered a C4S in stone grey metallic. Wanted white metallic, but they (someone at zuffenhausen, don't gonna say his name) said it was not feasible. Problem was that 3 weeks later there was a white metallic Turbo in front of me at the IAA in Frankfurt and i got really pissed. That car looked beautiful and must have been in production at the point  I asked for that color. Felt like they lied to me. That's why I had an appointment last week. They made their apologies for giving me the wrong information and said they didn't have the right information theirselves. I could have changed to the oryx white, but i was curious about the Targa (my favourite model of the old cars). That's why I canceled and decided to wait untill end december/early january.

But if that doesn't have usable backseats (at least as usable as the coupe) it's no option for me. There would be no need to upgrade from my boxster in that case. Performance isn't the most important facor for me. I would buy something else than a Porsche if that was the caseSmiley

Example? Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

SuzyF:
    SportCarGroup:

But if that doesn't have usable backseats (at least as usable as the coupe) it's no option for me. There would be no need to upgrade from my boxster in that case. Performance isn't the most important facor for me. I would buy something else than a Porsche if that was the case. Smiley

Why you would not go with RC's advice selling the Boxster and getting a 991 Turbo Cab?

--

RC:
    SuzyF:
    SportCarGroup:

But if that doesn't have usable backseats (at least as usable as the coupe) it's no option for me. There would be no need to upgrade from my boxster in that case. Performance isn't the most important facor for me. I would buy something else than a Porsche if that was the caseSmiley

Example? Smiley

Depends if it was to be a DD or not. If so, a Mclaren mp4.

If it was pure for fun and performance. Donkervoort D8 GTO. No brainer for me. 

But since I don't like the Mclaren and the Donkervoort is too hardcore for DD it will probably still be a Porsche haha

--

SportCarGroup:
    SuzyF:
    SportCarGroup:

Why you would not go with RC's advice selling the Boxster and getting a 991 Turbo Cab?

I'm not a big fan of the looks of the turbo and especially not the cab, although I have to admit that RC's car looks very nice. That did change my mind a bit... Dark colors suit the turbo a lot better than light colors.

--

The 991 Turbo looks awesome, Cab as well. If I would order one I would take round exhaust tips, and paint the side intakes in exterior color broken heart

--

SuzyF:

But since I don't like the Mclaren and the Donkervoort is too hardcore for DD it will probably still be a Porsche haha

The MP4-12C is not as great as you may think but I have to admit that I would prefer it over a 458 for example. I would choose the F12 instead. Smiley

Donkervoort D8 GTO? Seriously? Oh well...you are still young...my old bones would shiver and the car wouldn't be really fast for me. Smiley Also no airbags (as far as I remember)...hmm...not really a car I would like to be on the street with, maybe on the track.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

the great mystery is 

turbo targa

back seats or no seats?

1380883489284normal.jpg

--

SportCarGroup:

1380883489284normal.jpg

Couldn't make the intake pure white, but still looks much better to me Smiley Hate the external black plastic parts Smiley

--

someone should do a turbo targa render

RC:
    SuzyF:

The MP4-12C is not as great as you may think but I have to admit that I would prefer it over a 458 for example. I would choose the F12 instead. Smiley

Donkervoort D8 GTO? Seriously? Oh well...you are still young...my old bones would shiver and the car wouldn't be really fast for me. Smiley Also no airbags (as far as I remember)...hmm...not really a car I would like to be on the street with, maybe on the track.

Damn! How could I forget the F12?! Of course i would choose that over a mclaren.  

The Donkervoort is really special.  Not a great streetcar indeed, although not as harsh as you may think. But the speed and performance is breathtaking.  I've been lucky enough to drive it for about 15 minutes not long ago.  It has 400hp and only weighs 695kg. It's like a big gokart. Very direct steering without powerassist. I was very deeply impressed. May look like a kitcar but does feel as refined as a porsche.  Only downside is that my hair looked like my hairdryer had exploded after that 15 minutes drive LOL

--

steelested:

someone should do a turbo targa render

Quick PS

normal copy.jpg

--

Oh Y E S

Game over

indecision

--

SportCarGroup:
    SportCarGroup:

1380883489284normal.jpg

Couldn't make the intake pure white, but still looks much better to me Smiley Hate the external black plastic parts Smiley

--

I agree that this does look better indeed... Thank you for confusing me even more!! LOL

--

i personally think its much more handsome than cabrio

whereas it reminds me of a cockroach.

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

SportCarGroup:

Did a quick render Smiley
    Here's a Turbo S cab in PTS Stone grey metallic, with LTS two-tone Black-Natural brown interior AND painted vents! ;)

--

Not a fan of painted vents (but it seems many people seem to like them painted), I would rather add some sort of carbon shell to them, like on the GT2 RS. Oh boy...I think we just opened a can full of worms if someone from Exclusive department read this.  indecision

--

RC:

Not a fan of painted vents (but it seems many people seem to like them painted), I would rather add some sort of carbon shell to them, like on the GT2 RS. Oh boy...I think we just opened a can full of worms if someone from Exclusive department read this indecision

They better should! Smiley  I've got tons of ideas for them! Smiley

--

steelested:

i personally think its much more handsome than cabrio

I'm trying to understand, explain? I loved the 993-997 Targas, because even closed you have the cabrio feeling, because of the glass roof.The downside is that it's not a full cabrio and you sacrifice a bit of the classical 911 shape.

With the new 991 you only have the downsides unless the middle panel is glass as well?

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

I think that a Targa should have a detachable roof, not just a sunroof. For me that is the reason why I didn't like the 993-997 Targas. I love the original Targa and the 991 will have the same looks with that bar and panoramic rear window. If I want a glass roof I can get it on the coupe.

Just a matter of personal taste I guess ;)

--

i simply prefer the look - its possible the roof panels are also glass....

dont know why but its purely an asthetic thing...

I loved the old targa style. With it open while you were driving it had 97% of the feeling of a Cab but with less wind buffeting. It also have significantly more headroom in the back due to the roofline. I liked it aestetically as well.

Loosing the rear seats would be a terrible thing and point to lack of foresight and engineering prowess. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

How many times would you have someone sitting in the back with the roof down ? 

So, if the Targa only has the disadvantage to hide the seats when the roof is open, it is not too much of a disadvantage 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Assuming Porsche is using the Cabriolet shell as the starting point for the Targa, it's conceivable that the rear seats are put out of action with the targa roof down .. the panel would not fold like the Cab, and it would take more space, protruding into the rear passenger compartment

would look very strange though.

can't wait to see what the Targa really is.

its certainly generating a fair amount of interest.....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    810288 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    451000 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    268366 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91370 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    8180 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

889583 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    844152 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM