Crown

Board: Lamborghini Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

How to cut an Aventador into half...

Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Re: How to cut an Aventador into half...

that carbon tub must be extremely strong Smiley

I read somewhere that mid engined cars are designed in a way that the rear half breaks off in a strong collision to prevent the engine crashing the passengers. I don't remember where I got this info so it may be false. 

I think you are correct Enma. Any mid-engine car bult around a crash cocoon will do that because the heaviest part of a car, the engine, sits outside of it. You can't cheat physics...

--

There is no try. Just do.

Is it me or was the Lambo driver way too fast? angry

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Oct. 5th 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Way too fast but that car just turned right in front of him... Speeding fine for one, dangerous driving for the other.

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Mithras:

Way too fast but that car just turned right in front of him... Speeding fine for one, dangerous driving for the other.

In Germany: Speeding fine (and maybe criminal charges for the Lambo driver) and nothing for the other one. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Oct. 5th 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

Is it me or was the Lambo driver way too fast? angry

Yeah definitely speeding. 

Sure he was speeding but there were no cars behind him, what on go'd green earth would make someone decide to turn left IN FRONT of an oncoming car, especially one that is going too fast? The distances weren't that great!

And you look at the damage to the Mazda and it isn't all that bad. A write-off sure, but... 

--

That guy's insurance company will not be very happy with him.

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

RC:
    Mithras:

In Germany: Speeding fine (and maybe criminal charges for the Lambo driver) and nothing for the other one. Smiley

That doesn't seem fair when the driver in the Mazda clearly either wasn't paying attention or lost control (suspect the former - driver sending a text, changing a CD or whatever) went across the Lamborghini's path - who had nowhere to go. Smiley

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

dreamcar:
    RC:
    Mithras:

That doesn't seem fair when the driver in the Mazda clearly either wasn't paying attention or lost control (suspect the former - driver sending a text, changing a CD or whatever) went across the Lamborghini's path - who had nowhere to go. Smiley

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

A German judge would argue that the Lambo was so fast that the Mazda driver couldn't see him in time. Smiley Trust me, this is how it works when cars are speeding here. You speed, you loose. The "other" one usually gets away completely.

--

LP700 is going too fast, and Mazda driver visually could not determine how fast LP700 (not his/her fault).  This is 100%LP700's fault.   Normal road speed he could stop to avoid the crash....  LP700 is taking the risk on other road user.... If the driver in Mazda die, then LP700 would be going to jail!

huangester:

LP700 is going too fast, and Mazda driver visually could not determine how fast LP700 (not his/her fault).  This is 100%LP700's fault.   Normal road speed he could stop to avoid the crash....  LP700 is taking the risk on other road user.... If the driver in Mazda die, then LP700 would be going to jail!

This is exactly how a German judge would see the case...and in this case, he would be right. You don't speed in high density residential areas, this is just too dangerous.

--

RC:
    huangester:

This is exactly how a German judge would see the case...and in this case, he would be right. You don't speed in high density residential areas, this is just too dangerous.

Whilst the Lambo was obviously going too fast, the Mazda's driver had plenty of time to see him and take avoiding action if he had been driving with only normal care and attention. Both drivers would be prosecuted on the basis of that video. 

--

fritz

Common sense dictates that a car going straight has the right of way before cars doing turns, especially left turns, so the fault lies with the Mazda. The Aventador was speeding so it will mitigate Mazda's driver's share of fault but not completely.

From my neck of the woods, the insurance company will assess 50% blame on each driver. Had the Aventador not been speeding, it will be 100% fault on the Mazda. Our insurance company will increase the premium for both drivers as a result, as they consider a driver is at fault if they are found to be more than 49% liable. 

--

Whoopsy:

Common sense dictates that a car going straight has the right of way before cars doing turns, especially left turns, so the fault lies with the Mazda. The Aventador was speeding so it will mitigate Mazda's driver's share of fault but not completely.

From my neck of the woods, the insurance company will assess 50% blame on each driver. Had the Aventador not been speeding, it will be 100% fault on the Mazda. Our insurance company will increase the premium for both drivers as a result, as they consider a driver is at fault if they are found to be more than 49% liable. 

That's pretty generous. Some European insurers will disallow your "no-claims bonus" even if you are just an innocent victim of someone else's driving error.  

--

fritz

Oh, get hit with no fault of your own in canada a few times and your insurance will still go up... Just not like this it going to do. 

I agree with Whoopsy 100% though on his take on things. 

--

Where I live, we only have one insurance company, monopoly on car insurance, it's a semi-government corporation. Believe me, they are not generous at all, they try to assess 50-50 blame on every accidents even if it doesn't make sense just so they can increase premium on both drivers. 

--

A few posters suggest that the Aventador is traveling too fast; however, what is not noted is the speed limit for that section of road.  I know of numerous roads, similar in appearance, with speed limits of 50 to 60 mph.  

Regardless of how fast the Lamborghini was traveling, the other driver did not yield the right of way to oncoming traffic before turning left.  That driver is at fault as the Lamborghini was clearly visible up to the time of the accident.  The speed of the Lamborghini is a secondary factor, not the primary factor of causation.  

CGX car nut:

A few posters suggest that the Aventador is traveling too fast; however, what is not noted is the speed limit for that section of road.  I know of numerous roads, similar in appearance, with speed limits of 50 to 60 mph.  

Regardless of how fast the Lamborghini was traveling, the other driver did not yield the right of way to oncoming traffic before turning left.  That driver is at fault as the Lamborghini was clearly visible up to the time of the accident.  The speed of the Lamborghini is a secondary factor, not the primary factor of causation.  

I agree, we do not know the legal speed limit but I know a couple of cases where drivers were in a similar situation and the judge always gave them full blame.

Most "absurd" ruling: A customer of mine was doing 220 kph on the Autobahn, when a smaller car moved to his lane to pass a truck at around 120 kph. My customer hit the smaller car in the rear at around 180 kph, both crashed into the middle plank of the Autobahn and both were hurt badly, the other driver spent three months in the hospital, my customer almost three weeks. The judge ruled that although there wasn't a speed limit on that Autobahn, my customer should have respected the recommendation of 130 kph (this is the recommended speed in Germany when there is no speed limit), so he partially blamed my customer. Because the other guy in the small car spent more time in the hospital, my customer got 60% of the blame and the other one 40%. Unbelievable.

Similar decisions in other cases, the blame was divided or in one case, one got 100% of the blame because he had "points" on his license from a prior "safety distance violation" and the judge assumed that he didn't keep a safe distance to avoid the accident (similar stuff...he drives on the Autobahn, car moves on his lane...this time without blinking!!!).

I wouldn't want to be a traffic violation lawyer, must be pretty tough.

--

RC:
    CGX car nut:

I agree, we do not know the legal speed limit but I know a couple of cases where drivers were in a similar situation and the judge always gave them full blame.

Most "absurd" ruling: A customer of mine was doing 220 kph on the Autobahn, when a smaller car moved to his lane to pass a truck at around 120 kph. My customer hit the smaller car in the rear at around 180 kph, both crashed into the middle plank of the Autobahn and both were hurt badly, the other driver spent three months in the hospital, my customer almost three weeks. The judge ruled that although there wasn't a speed limit on that Autobahn, my customer should have respected the recommendation of 130 kph (this is the recommended speed in Germany when there is no speed limit), so he partially blamed my customer. Because the other guy in the small car spent more time in the hospital, my customer got 60% of the blame and the other one 40%. Unbelievable.

Similar decisions in other cases, the blame was divided or in one case, one got 100% of the blame because he had "points" on his license from a prior "safety distance violation" and the judge assumed that he didn't keep a safe distance to avoid the accident (similar stuff...he drives on the Autobahn, car moves on his lane...this time without blinking!!!).

I wouldn't want to be a traffic violation lawyer, must be pretty tough.

The language of the law in the State of New York is very precise:

"§ 1141. Vehicle turning left. The driver of a vehicle intending to

turn to the left within an intersection or into an alley, private  road,
      or driveway shall yield the right of way to any vehicle approaching from
      the  opposite  direction which is within the intersection or so close as
      to constitute an immediate hazard." (emphasis added."

http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/LAWSSEAF.cgi?QUERYTYPE=LAWS+&QUERYDATA=$$VAT1141$$@TXVAT01141+&LIST=LAW+&BROWSER=B...

Even if the car is so fast that you cannot see it?  We have the same laws in Germany but they apply ONLY if the speed limit is respected.

--

RC:

Even if the car is so fast that you cannot see it?  We have the same laws in Germany but they apply ONLY if the speed limit is respected.

If you look at the video, there was no question in this instance of the Lambo not having been visible in good time for the car turning left to have been able to react.  Smiley
    Whilst the Lambo was presumably speeding, the other car's driver was most certainly slumbering. 

--

fritz

fritz:
    RC:

If you look at the video, there was no question in this instance of the Lambo not having been visible in good time for the car turning left to have been able to react.  Smiley
    Whilst the Lambo was presumably speeding, the other car's driver was most certainly slumbering. 

+1

The left turning driver would have been able to see the oncoming car. 

--

Unless she's deaf, she'd be able to hear it coming!!!

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

First thing would be to do an alcohol test on both drivers .......  And I can well imagine the Mazda driver being not completely sober

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

bridggar:

Smiley

--

bridggar:

Ha yes. I can see what you've done there.   Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    bridggar:

Ha yes. I can see what you've done there.   Smiley

Well... it has to be a she, no? Smiley The Lambo driver surely is a guy. Smiley

I guess Suzy just prepares to kill us all here... Smiley Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    809101 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    450540 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267858 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91048 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7905 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

888724 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    838062 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM