Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S

SuzyF:

Christian, do you still have that rattle in the sunroof? I noticed the car I drove also had a rattle when driving on bad roads (glass sunroof).

Funny: The rattle appears now only when I drive very slow, below 30kph, over bad pavement. Otherwise, it is gone. Smiley I noticed something else today: During my excessive driving on those tiny curvy roads, I noticed a smell of fuel in the interior at some point but not all of the time. I stopped, went outside but there was no fuel smell, also it disappeared from the car but later on was present again. I still think it came from outside (lots of motorcycles on the road) but I'm not sure. I will address this smell with my mechanic when I get back. The fuel in my tank has more of a sweet smell but the fuel I smelled in the interior was that typical "old fashioned" fuel smell and my son smelled it too. Oh, have I mentioned that I love the PCCB brake and for the first time, the PZero tires? Somebody did his homework.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    During my excessive driving on those tiny curvy roads, I noticed a smell of fuel in the interior at some point but not all of the time. I stopped, went outside but there was no fuel smell, also it disappeared from the car but later on was present again. I still think it came from outside (lots of motorcycles on the road) but I'm not sure. I will address this smell with my mechanic when I get back. The fuel in my tank has more of a sweet smell but the fuel I smelled in the interior was that typical "old fashioned" fuel smell and my son smelled it too.

You could check if the fuel cap has been twisted clockwise until it clicks. If not, that would be the cause of the smell.

--

fritz

Thanks for the hint but this was the first thing I checked, this is why I wrote about the sweet smell of the VPower fuel but the fuel cap was OK. Btw: I forgot to mention, my Turbo S has that nice looking silver fuel cap standard, I never noticed it in the standard options list. devil

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Another photo...

1382224342149image.jpg

--

Last one for now, I need to edit the license plate. 

1382224407881image.jpg

--

RC:

Last one, couldn't resist. It gives you an idea of some of the roads... indecision

1382214356167image.jpg

I cannot imagine how you overtook that one. Sport Chrono Flying Mode indecision

P.S. Your car is super Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

RC:

Hmm, I get the feeling that this rather has to do with the fact that you ALWAYS contradict what I am saying than anything else. Smiley Did a Panamera Turbo S outrun you in the M5 or why that anger? Smiley I get it, you tune your M5 for showing off only. Smiley

christian,

i am just expressing my opinion, if it is always orthogonal to yours, then we have something to talk about.Smiley 2

honestly, i do not remember having been outrun by a panamera turbo S but if so, fine with me. you need to leave some pleasure for the poor guys driving around in big ugly pana-whales. Smiley 8

i never had the feeling that the M5 needed a tune. it does need however a serious diet and an akrapovic exhaust.

enjoy your turbo S. i reiterate, it is a great car.

peter

Belated congratulations  RC. VERY nice! Smiley Hitting a ton in 2.9! Where is it going  to end? By the way, I havent had time to read all the posts yet: is the car wrapped as you talked about, or is this au natural?

Yesterday i finally saw at my dealer a 991 TTS,colour is like yours RC,well nothing bad to tell,looks really good,the led lights looks great,the front lip that comes in and out is really interesting,wheels looks gorgeous....i love how it looks,no chance to drive it due is sold and i find right that no one is allowed to drive it.

i took the decision to stay with my RS order,i need a weekend toy,and also if i like much the Turbo,i think i NEED something more "special",also if i'm sure that this turbo can match all that i search...time wil tell.

So,really congrats Christian,GREAT car!!!!

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

moo:
    RC:

Hmm, I get the feeling that this rather has to do with the fact that you ALWAYS contradict what I am saying than anything else. Smiley Did a Panamera Turbo S outrun you in the M5 or why that anger? Smiley I get it, you tune your M5 for showing off only. Smiley

christian,

i am just expressing my opinion, if it is always orthogonal to yours, then we have something to talk about.Smiley 2

honestly, i do not remember having been outrun by a panamera turbo S but if so, fine with me. you need to leave some pleasure for the poor guys driving around in big ugly pana-whales. Smiley 8

i never had the feeling that the M5 needed a tune. it does need however a serious diet and an akrapovic exhaust.

peter

This was actually addressed at somebody else. Smiley

--

Super Darius:

Yesterday i finally saw at my dealer a 991 TTS,colour is like yours RC,well nothing bad to tell,looks really good,the led lights looks great,the front lip that comes in and out is really interesting,wheels looks gorgeous....i love how it looks,no chance to drive it due is sold and i find right that no one is allowed to drive it.

i took the decision to stay with my RS order,i need a weekend toy,and also if i like much the Turbo,i think i NEED something more "special",also if i'm sure that this turbo can match all that i search...time wil tell.

So,really congrats Christian,GREAT car!!!!

Dario, I get your point. I really do. I was in the same boat when the 991 GT3 was announced. I was pretty close to get one. Same reason here: Something special as a weekend toy. After having driven over 2300 km in the Turbo S though, I think that I made the right decision. The 991 Turbo S is a different beast than the 997 Turbo (I am pretty sure you have your previous car in mind...) and while a GT3 RS is certainly very special, I'm not sure you are going to like the car for a very long time. The GT3 RS will be a very challenging car and while challenge is good, especially for a weekend toy, at some point, you will be disappointed that supposedly slower cars will actually outrun you in real life. I do not know your driving style and driving region but unless you want to seriously track race the car and/or join many club/driving ed events most of the time, the GT3 RS will not be even close to the performance experience of your previous (tuned?) 997 Turbo.

Please don't misunderstand me: The 991 GT3 RS will be a wonderful fun car but since we know each other for such a long time, I'm not sure it is the car your really want in the end.

That said, you still have time, even if you already ordered a GT3 RS.  Smiley

--

RC:
    moo:
    RC:

christian,

peter

This was actually addressed at somebody else. Smiley

no wasn't. it goes straight to you RC.

p

ps: afterthought: i surely was never outrun by a pana-whatever in my M5. i would remember the horror of seeing that ugly rear end infront of me. most likely unforgetable.

moo:

no wasn't. it goes straight to you RC.

p

ps: afterthought: i surely was never outrun by a pana-whatever in my M5. i would remember the horror of seeing that ugly rear end infront of me. most likely unforgetable.

Grow up!  You're behaving like a toddler.

Smiley

Probably not that exciting for most of you anymore, but today I attended a trackday to see my buddy's friend race.
    Big was my surprise when in the paddocks, I saw this black 991 turbo, which excited me more than a lot of the racecars on the track! :-)

Wasn't able to spend too much time with it, so the pics are a bit crappy. Anyway, you get the idea...
    IMHO, I was always leaning towards liking black the most for the turbo, since it hides all the unnecessary deviations from the clear design lines... and now I am sure! :-)

More pics of the trackday will follow in another thread.

Dsc_6960_1680.jpg

Dsc_6961_1680.jpg

Dsc_6962_1680.jpg

Dsc_6963_1680.jpg

Dsc_6964_1680.jpg

Dsc_6965_1680.jpg

Dsc_6966_1680.jpg

Dsc_6967_1680.jpg

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Badge deletion will cause a lot of stress and sudden cardiac arrests for those who have no idea what they will be running into indecision

I really like the black one. I have to say that agathe grey is not my favourite color, even when my Pana GTS is in that color.  There is a brownish touch that I don't like. The best grey tone is imho stone grey metallic. Saw a 997 in that color -amazing.

Regarding Italien drivers: they are mostly nice guys. I'm just back from a 4-day Dolomites trip and had a lot of fun. 40% are trying to race you, regardless what car they drive. That was sometimes pure fun to see how a talented driver squeezed the last bit of performance out of his old Fiat! Another 40% set the right  turn signal and let me easily pass. 20% ignored me.

In Germany, 100% ignore you and try to not let you pass.

--

Note to self: I DO NOT need a Turbo. 

TomSilver:

I really like the black one. I have to say that agathe grey is not my favourite color, even when my Pana GTS is in that color.  There is a brownish touch that I don't like. The best grey tone is imho stone grey metallic. Saw a 997 in that color -amazing.

Regarding Italien drivers: they are mostly nice guys. I'm just back from a 4-day Dolomites trip and had a lot of fun. 40% are trying to race you, regardless what car they drive. That was sometimes pure fun to see how a talented driver squeezed the last bit of performance out of his old Fiat! Another 40% set the right  turn signal and let me easily pass. 20% ignored me.

Must be the same people that RC has to face every single day ? emotionless with a grumpy look ? Smiley

TomSilver:

Very true. I actually never saw an angry Italian once while driving the car in Italy. Like you said, they try to race you in the smallest (and least powerful) cars possible but at some point, they let you pass. In Germany...well...I returned through Garmisch yesterday and a woman was driving 70 kph in a 100 kph zone. The moment I started to pass her, she fully accelerated, which was quite dangerous because I had traffic coming on the other side ahead of me. After I passed her, she flashed her lights and I don't have a clue why she did what she did (not that I really care).

A similar thing on the Autobahn: BMW 135i (M-OP 135...sorry, I kept his license plate in memory because he didn't let me pass him for over 20(!) km). He drove as fast as possible but I could have easily passed him. No chance, he was always driving on the left lane. Even when I let myself fall back intentionally and then fully accelerated to show him the acceleration capability of my car, no way, he wouldn't let pass me. Very annoying. Over 20 km...can you imagine? No speed limit (Garmisch-Munich). As a little reminder for our international friends: Passing on the right is against the law in Germany, unless there is a traffic jam and you are allowed to pass on the right only slowly. There was no damn car on the right and this idiot just didn't want to move. Smiley Maybe he thought he is fast. Smiley Smiley

From my experience in Germany, Germans, Dutch and Swiss are the worst (sorry guys, I know...stereotypes). They drive either too fast but then don't let pass you or they block you intentionally, so you cannot pass them. Actually, in Germany we call the Dutch "Nur Links", from the NL country code abbreviation on cars. Smiley Smiley

Kidding aside, there is always some truth in the observations people make. In Italy for example, when a car kept the left lane blocked, it was usually a car with a German license plates. The GT2 RS I mentioned before had NL license plates (Netherlands).

--

Funny... I'm always glad when I'm driving in German, because people are kind of polite on the road. I (almost) never get blocked in Germany. I'm born and raised in Holland, but people there are the most agressive and asocial drivers in the world. I hate driving in Holland. Worst off all is that they really think that they are good drivers, which absolutely isn't true, but still better than the Belgians or the French. In Belgium 85% of the drivers shouldn't be allowed to have a driver's license anyways. I know, because I've lived there too long. I have not much complaints about the Swiss (yet) to be honest. Driving in Italy is nice and I can only confirm the things you say. 

On the other hand, there are good and bad drivers (mostly bad) in every country. I sometimes feel like I really could use that Aston Martin of James Bond... i would like to have some of those rocket launchers on my car, to shoot people out of my way. I always feel the need to drive ahead of everybody :) 

--

Suzy

SuzyF:

Funny... I'm always glad when I'm driving in German, because people are kind of polite on the road. I (almost) never get blocked in Germany. I'm born and raised in Holland, but people there are the most agressive and asocial drivers in the world. I hate driving in Holland. Worst off all is that they really think that they are good drivers, which absolutely isn't true, but still better than the Belgians or the French. In Belgium 85% of the drivers shouldn't be allowed to have a driver's license anyways. I know, because I've lived there too long. I have not much complaints about the Swiss (yet) to be honest. Driving in Italy is nice and I can only confirm the things you say. 

On the other hand, there are good and bad drivers (mostly bad) in every country. I sometimes feel like I really could use that Aston Martin of James Bond... i would like to have some of those rocket launchers on my car, to shoot people out of my way. I always feel the need to drive ahead of everybody :) 

Smiley My son loves the idea of driving a tank. If the guy in front of you doesn't move to the right...well...go over him. Smiley

I am a very calm driver (I was different when I was younger... Smiley) and I do not pass on the right in rage or do something stupid, simply because I understand the possible consequences and I don't mean the legal ones. This is why I drive behind those idiots as long as it takes, without provoking them or trying to threaten them by staying glued to their rear or flashing the lights to make them move to the right. My wife says I'm too calm but I am always hoping that at some point, the driver in front of me will finally move to the right. Most of the time it happens but it takes way too long and I just feel annoyed afterwards because it took that long. Smiley

Also, there is one single thing which drives me nuts on the Autobahn in Germany, even more than people blocking the left lane: Those who don't use their turn signal. It seems to be a common illness in Germany. They move to the left without using the turn signal, even if I approach them at higher speeds. Is it really that difficult to use a turn signal?

This is how many accidents happen here...people moving from the right to the left without using the turn signal (which is MANDATORY to use in Germany when you change your lane). I guess they also forget looking in the driver side rear view mirror. Smiley

--

That turnsignal-problem sounds very familiar... But it is not only in Germany, but everywhere I drive. And not only on the Autobahn, but also when leaving a roundabout or in fact with everything people are supposed to use the turnsignals. Tourists enjoying the scenery and suddenly stop or drive slowly, without giving notice or people trying to find an adress.... It sometimes seems that rearviewmirrors and turnsignals have completely disappered on their cars. crying

Lots of people are driving with virtual blinkers. They don't see anything else, other than what's in front of them or they are too busy with everything else other than paying attention to the road. In the meanwhile the steam is coming out of my ears, when driving behind such idiots. Smiley

--

Suzy

@RC, why don't you overtake on the right? I know it's not allowed, but if the right lane is free, why not?

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

993Targa:

@RC, why don't you overtake on the right? I know it's not allowed, but if the right lane is free, why not?

What happens if the guy on the left suddenly moves to the right?

Also, I would probably loose my driver's license for a month if I get caught and not to mention the possible loss of insurance coverage if an accident happens.

Is it worth it? I don't think so.

--

RC:
    993Targa:

Also, I would probably loose my driver's license for a month if I get caught and not to mention the possible loss of insurance coverage if an accident happens.

How long would it take for the Turbo S to overtake the slow frontrunner? Fractions of a second! During this infinitely small time frame the probability of all these negative things happening is minutely small.

I would take the theoretical risk rather than experience the frustration and possible build up of anger Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    RC:
    993Targa:

How long would it take for the Turbo S to overtake the slow frontrunner? Fractions of a second! During this infinitely small time frame the probability of all these negative things happening is minutely small.

I would take the theoretical risk rather than experience the frustration and possible build up of anger Smiley

I got used to it. I do not pass on the right, simply because it is too dangerous (many in Germany don't seem to realize that this is not only forbidden but also very risky. Some drivers are even nuts and just move to the right but the biggest risk actually comes from video surveillance cars (police). They are everywhere here.

Also, if you loose insurance coverage, just imagine that on a 200k EUR car which would be probably seriously damaged at higher speeds (we are talking 140-180 kph here, not low speeds).

--

Better safe than sorry, then kiss

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Exactly. Sometimes I drive behind an idiot at 160 kph for a couple of km, the right lane completely free and another driver who gets angry behind me, actually overtakes us on the right lane. This drives me mad because if that guy in front of me decides to move to the right...well... Smiley I would probably not get away either in such an accident but I usually try to keep enough distance to react in time (and to avoid the video surveillance distance measurements hidden next to Autobahn bridges (no kidding).

We have no speed limit on many parts of the Autobahn but we have video surveillance, not only mobile but also stationary and if they do not measure the speed when there is no speed limit, they measure safety distances between cars or they video tape you while you are passing on the right illegally.

A friend of mine even claims that once, he had a car driving on the left lane at around 140 kph, not moving to the right for a couple of km. He then got closer and closer to that car, flashing his lights and even honking. At some point, a red "POLIZEI...bitte folgen" (police...please follow) display came on in the rear window and he lost his driver's license. He was in court for that and the judge claimed that the recommended speed is 130 kph (which is true, we have no speed limit but a recommended speed of 130 kph), the police car was driving 140 kph and there were trucks every now and then (every 300 to 400 meters or so) and the police car therefore was still in an overtaking process and didn't have to move to the right. Can you believe that? The police actually wanted to get him for endangerment of traffic too (because he was too close to the rear of the car at 140 kph) but he was "lucky", he lost his driver's license "only" for a month but had to pay over 400 EUR or so, not to mention the lawyer cost.

I believe my friend, he is actually a pretty reasonable driver from what I can tell. Also, I had a similar encounter with a police video surveillance car in the city. He (the police officer was alone in the car) claimed that I was racing my car in the city (which was completely untrue) and that he followed me (in the city, for over 20 minutes!!!) and finally stopped me. I was aware that somebody is following me (didn't know it was the police, it was an old VW Passat stationwagon with one person only) and at some point, I tried to loose him because I didn't understand why he is following me (from my past diplomatic work, I had kind of a paranoia looking for cars in the rear view mirror, we were trained for that). Then, I really lost him (took a curve very fast and then entered a parking lot) and he drove by very fast. When I wanted to exit the parking lot, he drove in with a blue light on his roof and almost hit two guys who came out of a restaurant. This was actually my "luck" because I took the number of these two guys and later on, they confirmed my story at court. The police officer was way out of line, he insulted me (no witnesses though), he forbid me to take my jacket out of the car (it was very cold) and he basically jumped me and funniest thing was actually that he claimed I had driven to fast in the street leading to the parking lot, a street with a 30 kph speed limit (which wasn't true, the speed limit was 50 Smiley). Overall, he stood no chance in court but now it comes, I had to pay a 60 EUR fine (no points though) because the video surveillance in the car clearly showed that I was driving too fast at some point...when I tried to evade him. The judge let me go but asked the police officer to stay. My lawyer told me later on that the judge had given some sort of official warning to the police officer because of the whole thing, which actually proves that the judge believed me but typical German, he had to fine me. Since then, I am very very careful with the law over here, they can basically do anything to you if they find a reason.

I have no points on my driver's license, no accidents over the past 28 years or so (first one at 18, second one at 19, never again) and I'm not a slow driver if you understand what I mean. So I guess I'm doing something right. Smiley Smiley

--

Sorry I didn't notice that "the 135i drove as fast as possible", so I guess around 250km/h. Ofcourse I wouldn't overtake on the right with such speeds. But I've admit that if somebody is blocking me with 120-130 km/h, to teach me a lesson, I could be tempted to overtake on the right. Not saying that I ever did this smiley

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

993Targa:

Sorry I didn't notice that "the 135i drove as fast as possible", so I guess around 250km/h. Ofcourse I wouldn't overtake on the right with such speeds. But I've admit that if somebody is blocking me with 120-130 km/h, to teach me a lesson, I could be tempted to overtake on the right. Not saying that I ever did this smiley

That particular 135i really drove me nuts because he was driving as fast as possible, so he didn't want to "teach" or block me but he didn't move to the right, so I can pass him. This means that the driver either didn't pay attention of what is going on behind him or he just thought there is nothing faster around. Smiley I fell back half a km a couple of times and then fully accelerated to get closer fast (so he would get an idea of my acceleration, usually people "get" the hint) but no way, he was driving on the left. For 20 km. It drove me nuts.

--

RC:
    reginos:

Exactly. Sometimes I drive behind an idiot at 160 kph for a couple of km, the right lane completely free and another driver who gets angry behind me, actually overtakes us on the right lane. This drives me mad because if that guy in front of me decides to move to the right...well... Smiley I would probably not get away either in such an accident but I usually try to keep enough distance to react in time (and to avoid the video surveillance distance measurements hidden next to Autobahn bridges (no kidding).

--

Whenever I see an idiot speeding or closing the gap behind me and another idiot that blocks my way in front, I move to the right and let the driver behind me do the dirty work and force the slow driver to change lanes Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780506 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442472 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263274 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261589 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85740 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5891 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881320 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818554 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM