Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2007 997 Turbo

After seven + years LOVING my 2005 997S I have decided on my 8th Porsche (and 7th 911) to take me past my 50th birthday and beyond.  After reading all about the new 991, the high prices, the automatic transmissions, the epic depreciation, the death of the Metzger in the GT3 - I have bought the following - and traded my car in the process.  Smiley  The only thing I don't care for are the wheels - on the plus side it has average miles (not a garage queen) a new clutch and plugs  PLUS (RC will love this part) NEW N2 Michelins!!  Turbo with new clutch and tires is like a woman with her virginity restored!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2dr-TURBO-/200913030452?ru=http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=200913030452&_rdc=1&forcev4exp=true

Wish me well.  Looking forward to the road trip to Miami to go do the trade.

Cheers!

PS - don't laugh at the verbiage in the ad.  The sales guy is very nice (seee his feedback) and while it does have a sport shit linkage there is NO ODOR!

Re: 2007 997 Turbo

Congrats! Looks awesome kiss

--

Congrats - my dilemma was 991 or 997 TT...... I chose a different path. (with you on the wheels, that said, hate the 997 TT stock wheels)

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

Congrats! The drive should be a walk in the park for you; there and back within 24 hours? indecision

I plan on 20 hours each way.  It should be a wonderful drive.  Non-stop of course except for gas.  Also, there is a Hungarian Deli in Ft Lauderdale where I will be buying a load of PIC hungarian salami - added benefit.

The price for the car is right.  Very little depreciation left and my trade in was excellent.  Lets just say the difference is less than what RC paid in downpayment for this PTT lease. 

So excited - my first Turbo.  Hope I like it.

Okay really, yes you have driven so many times solo to Montreal and back (about 20 hours each way) without any problems; but do you remember the benefit of utilizing a back up driver? Perhaps someone who has put in thousands of miles behind the wheel of your 996! And at least another thousand driving your 997.

Just imagine spending most of the drive to Florida comfortably napping, and then you could easily drive the entire 20 hour run back home in the Turbo. (Just a few groveling thoughts from Otto) . 

Congrats, seems like a very original and clean 997TT. It`s really nice color combo and has a good mileage on it, but change the rims back to original.. they look terrible on the car. I guess with the new amazing tires, you will probably just run them (it makes sense) but the original factory rims were so much nicer!

Congrats on this buy, for 65K that is a steal IMO.

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather (Canada)
    1991 BMW 318i Brilliantrot/Black Leather (Germany)

Ex: '89 525i, '74 280E, '87 325is, '86 325e, '05 FF, '85.5 944

Leawood911:

I plan on 20 hours each way.  It should be a wonderful drive.  Non-stop of course except for gas.  Also, there is a Hungarian Deli in Ft Lauderdale where I will be buying a load of PIC hungarian salami - added benefit.

The price for the car is right.  Very little depreciation left and my trade in was excellent.  Lets just say the difference is less than what RC paid in downpayment for this PTT lease. 

So excited - my first Turbo.  Hope I like it.

I don't want to burst your bubble but I hope you have warranty on this buy. The engine alone costs a fortune, repairs aren't cheap and it is no secret that many pre-facelift 997 Turbo have been chipped. Almost 50k miles also is quite a lot, I would keep an eye on the gearbox too.

Congrats anyway Smiley but personally, I would have bought it from a certified Porsche dealer with Porsche warranty. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Hey don't listen to RC, he is becoming a risk aversed old fart with his leases and pandering to his loved ones and customers , the car will be bullet proof even chipped these engines have so many inbuilt protecting features that you will be fine and as we all know this ain't no A91 closed deck chocolate, if something breaks you bolt the broken part off and bolt on a new bit - congratskiss

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

TB993tt:

Hey don't listen to RC, he is becoming a risk aversed old fart with his leases and pandering to his loved ones and customers 

Smiley

--

SportCarGroup:
    TB993tt:

Hey don't listen to RC, he is becoming a risk aversed old fart with his leases and pandering to his loved ones and customers 

Smiley

Meant in a kind (know exactly where he's coming from and fighting it off hard) kind of way Smiley

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

TB993tt:

Hey don't listen to RC, he is becoming a risk aversed old fart with his leases and pandering to his loved ones and customers , the car will be bullet proof even chipped these engines have so many inbuilt protecting features that you will be fine and as we all know this ain't no A91 closed deck chocolate, if something breaks you bolt the broken part off and bolt on a new bit - congratskiss

You forgot to add that you will put your money where your mouth (writing hand) is and pay for any repairs Leawood may encounter. Smiley

Btw: What you call "old fart", I call intelligence. Smiley

Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

No worries!

Like in Blackjack - never buy insurance. I know exactly what I am doing and so does RC (and Porsche).  As you know I have owned 911s all my life and done extensive work on them myself.  My early mechanical background is in fabricating parts from bar stock in a machine shop starting at age 15 and working on air cooled motors / flat sixes since then.

If it was not for folks like RC can you imagine what that car would have cost me? His type of fear makes it possible for me to own that car for a fraction of what it cost to lease a new one - AND I get to drive it all I want.

The fact is that if the engine showed any signs of issues (or the gearbox) they would not have wasted the money to put in a new clutch without fixing everything (or anything obvious). It does come with an eBay buyers protection plan (very limited). I got 30 second approval for 60K at 2.25% for 72 months. I will need only about a third of that so about an extra $12 a day including extra insurance coverage (lower deductible $500) to trade up from my car and to own the Turbo.  Until I sell stock to pay it off (not right now, thanks) this will be my first Porsche payment ever - $300 per month - NOT BAD!  Keep in mind I have a 2013 Sonata if the weather is horrible.  The Turbo will take my 997S place as my daily driver.

The other good thing is that my mechanic is THE US Porsche club Turbo expert (Panamara magazine features his advice). Not only can he bolt it back together if there is a failure - he is better than any Porsche service center mechanic. Again, because of folks like RC and their fear of NON Porsche Dealer repair shops I can employ his services cheaply enough that I don't worry about stuff like engine failures. It is built into the price but odds are in my favor that I will not face that expense.

My point is to show everyone here that Porsche ownership of EXCELLENT used cars is affordable and fun! Let's face it, given the price increases for the new cars this car will be a solid value for years to come. I was careful to pick a manual, the newer four wheel drive, all the right options, Metzger block - you name it. Except for those uglific wheels! Who knows they may grow on me or I can use them for winter tires. I have enough money left for nice wheels, no problem.

Cheers - AND THANKS RC! -

BTW throwing money at what might not even be a problem is not always intelligence.  Your statement implies we are not smart for buying used Porsches (without extra warranty coverage).  Again - it is priced into the car.  It is a gamble, so it crossing the street, but it is a very educated gamble - and I am older than you by just a little and not an old fart so I doubt you are an old fart. 

Wishing you well... (just lose the 't' when referring to Mezger)

Leawood911:

If it was not for folks like RC can you imagine what that car would have cost me? His type of fear makes it possible for me to own that car for a fraction of what it cost to lease a new one - AND I get to drive it all I want.

You are aware that you drive an old model of the 911 Turbo, so I'm  not quite sure why you are so happy about it?! Smiley

The fact is that if the engine showed any signs of issues (or the gearbox) they would not have wasted the money to put in a new clutch without fixing everything (or anything obvious).It does come with an eBay buyers protection plan (very limited). I got 30 second approval for 60K at 2.25% for 72 months. I will need only about a third of that so about an extra $12 a day including extra insurance coverage (lower deductible $500) to trade up from my car and to own the Turbo.

A new engine is around 40k USD as far as I remember. With the old Mezger engine being "decommissioned", repair cost won't really be cheaper in the future.

The other good thing is that my mechanic is THE US Porsche club Turbo expert (Panamara magazine features his advice). Not only can he bolt it back together if there is a failure - he is better than any Porsche service center mechanic. Again, because of folks like RC and their fear of NON Porsche Dealer repair shops I can employ his services cheaply enough that I don't worry about stuff like engine failures. It is built into the price but odds are in my favor that I will not face that expense.

I heard stuff like that more than I can count the cars I owned and in many cases, the owners paid a heavy price for their naivety. However, I forgot that you drive all-season tires in summer on a 911 and you are happy with them, so I'm not surprised. Smiley

My point is to show everyone here that Porsche ownership of EXCELLENT used cars is affordable and fun! Let's face it, given the price increases for the new cars this car will be a solid value for years to come. I was careful to pick a manual, the newer four wheel drive, all the right options, Metzger block - you name it. Except for those uglific wheels! Who knows they may grow on me or I can use them for winter tires. I have enough money left for nice wheels, no problem.

So why didn't you get a 924 for 5000 bucks? Smiley I am sorry but you are comparing old cars to new cars and it doesn't make any sense to me. Smiley Oh well...all-season tires on a 911 don't make sense to me either. Smiley

Cheers - AND THANKS RC! -

BTW throwing money at what might not even be a problem is not always intelligence.  Your statement implies we are not smart for buying used Porsches (without extra warranty coverage).  Again - it is priced into the car.  It is a gamble, so it crossing the street, but it is a very educated gamble - and I am older than you by just a little and not an old fart so I doubt you are an old fart. 

I didn't want to spoil the fun with your new car, you misunderstood me. The "intelligence" comment referred to the "old fart" comment made by a different user. I was just pointing out that buying a used 997 Turbo with 50k miles on it without a used Porsche warranty poses a serious risk. Nothing more and nothing less. Apparently you and others love risks, I don't. I learned it the hard way, maybe you and others need to learn it the hard way too. Don't forget that I have contact with hundreds of Porsche owners worldwide and while you may have been lucky so far, not everybody was that lucky. Especially the 997 Turbo is the favorite car for chip tuning and so many things can go wrong, especially if previous owners were cheap. No Mezger engine withstands bad tuning.

Back to topic, I didn't want to steal your thunder, I'm sorry about that. Smiley

--

DuckieRS:

Wishing you well... (just lose the 't' when referring to Mezger)

You are correct - I am sorry - you will find many people adding the 'T' so I have mistakenly picked up on that  (if you google it you will likely find it spelled with a 'T').  German is my first language and I always assumed his name was the more common spelling which also means Butcher.  Good to know - Thank you!

"You are aware that you drive an old model of the 911 Turbo, so I'm not quite sure why you are so happy about it?! Smiley"  -

Obviously I am not tied to having the latest and greatest - because I am less concerned about what others think and simply enjoy the driving and the car.  Funny how I could drive any car and no one would care so I choose to be frugal and conservative.  You are very concious about what car your customers see you in so you buy a 200K car.  Not certain I follow that. - trust me - I can afford a new one, it just makes no sense.  They are just cars to me, not status symbols.

While some here buy only new cars I am certain that if everyone had your distain for 'soiled and used' cars Porsche would be out of business because there would be even LESS resale value.  In fact your comments do not help resale value at all!  Actually I find your spending on leases without even knowing residual amounts far more reckless - not to mention overpriced and limiting in terms of mileage.  Keep in mind I drive my cars A LOT.  I can put your anual ration of mileage on in two weekends.

Turbo's have been around a long time.  This is hardly an old Porsche and I will be VERY happy with it.  It is also the last of the mezger turbos.   There are folks still using twin cam speedsters - now that is an old and expensive engine!

Still harping on perfectly good tires you know nothing about?  Thought that was a mute point now that Michelin does not even sell an N tire for the 911?  Bottom line, as I have pointed out many times, until you try the conti DWS ULTRA HIGH PERFORMANCE all season tires you really need to keep your opinons about them to yourself if you are going to use them to insult me.  You simple have no idea what you speak of and I do.  I have tried both.  Let me know what you think after you try them.  Each time you do make such ill informed statements you highlight your ignorance.  Sorry.  For the type of driving I do and the climate I am in they make perfect sense.  So sorry you can't see that.

Comparing a 5K 924 to a 997 turbo is hardly a comparison - where did that even come from?  On the other hand I bet it will smoke the PTTS or your GTS (cause of the chip, lol).  You are correct - in some way comparing it to newer cars is no fair bacause of the new cars price disadvantage and almost same performance (unless it is chipped, lol).  BTW, Porsche does the same thing - they call it overboost.

In the US I would doubt the car has spent more than 10 seconds at a time at full throttle, especially in Florida.  Good for them if they chipped it, I would not care for a second.  If the motor blows I will replace it and have a virtually new car.

Seriously RC - I mean well and am simply enjoying my purchase - don't worry that you can upset that for a second.  I certainly know what I am doing and as I have said many times - it is just a car!  Let's enjoy our cars and have fun with this forum.  Clearly you need to rationalize your Porsche expenses, I do not because they are a tiny fraction of yours.  I doubt I get any less enjoyment (not that I would ever enjoy driving your cars, lol) and MANY more miles in the drivers seat.  The Turbo is in a totally different league from the GTS or the PTTS.  Everyone makes four door sedans and SUV's only one company makes the 911 type car  - so I'm not quite sure why you are so happy about them?! Smiley"

Smiley

Gladstone:

Just imagine spending most of the drive to Florida comfortably napping, and then you could easily drive the entire 20 hour run back home in the Turbo. (Just a few groveling thoughts from Otto) . 

Congrats on the car... and I second that you should take an experienced co-driver with you. There is only one that should cross your mind. 

Enjoy many miles in her... I spare any comments about all-season tires although I prepared some nice ones. 

Smiley

997 TT is a great choice no matter which model - I am thinking of one too in the near future because the RS is during Oct - March a garage-queen and the 4x4 would be great fun also in winter ! Enjoy and give us yr impressions.

Leawood911:

Seriously RC - I mean well and am simply enjoying my purchase - don't worry that you can upset that for a second.  I certainly know what I am doing and as I have said many times - it is just a car!  Let's enjoy our cars and have fun with this forum.  Clearly you need to rationalize your Porsche expenses, I do not because they are a tiny fraction of yours.  I doubt I get any less enjoyment (not that I would ever enjoy driving your cars, lol) and MANY more miles in the drivers seat.  The Turbo is in a totally different league from the GTS or the PTTS.  Everyone makes four door sedans and SUV's only one company makes the 911 type car  - so I'm not quite sure why you are so happy about them?! Smiley"

Smiley

You are aware that my four door sedan kicks your 997 Turbo (performance) ass, straight line AND on the track? At the same time, I can move my family in comfort, including some luggage. So I'm still not sure I understand what you are  trying to say with the different league. Smiley 

Maybe you should widen your (car) horizon a little bit, I do that all the time and I'm sometimes pretty impressed with what I find out.

I rationalize my Porsche expenses pretty well, they make sense to me and buying an old Porsche wouldn't make a bit of a sense because I would get bored. I owned a tuned 996 Turbo, I owned a tuned 997 Turbo for five years, so my experience with the 997 Turbo is way bigger than yours, not even speaking of the many details I learned on the way as an owner. Just wanted to give you a friendly advice but I guess you always take your own advice first, this is why you never actually discussed your buying decision with us (not that it matters but it could have been fun).

Enjoy your car in good health but this doesn't change reality. Smiley Smiley

--

Folks. This is getting silly.

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

Folks. This is getting silly.

The make-up sex is amazing though. Smiley Smiley

Smiley

--

I'll send one of my girlfriends to RC for the makeup sex. 

But seriously I do listen to RCs advice. We can both be correct. He is a new Porsche buyer I am not. My four door is a new sonata. My girls have them as well. With both in college and me a software developer I would not want the depreciation. I have always been cheap but it has served me well and I have had a wonderful life driving and loving my old Porsches all my life. That's what we share in common. Not ever a bad thing. I help is resale value and he helps mine. Perfect match. Given that so many old Porsches are still on the road someone else must also see some value in old cars so this not a pissimg contest. It is entertainment. Besides my home in Andorra is the tie breaker. 

I will let the rest of you decide if you wood rather be in the ptts on a track or street or in the turbo. I always just stuffed the kids and dogs in the back of the 911!  They might still prefer that to back of the ptts. Lol. Did I mention I have dachshunds so they fit. Downsize the family not enlarge the car!  

The choice to buy the car was an impulse buy. For that kind of money I don't waste much time and I did not want an eBay bidding war. You must admit the starting price is good and if it does not break it will be a ton of fun. 

Thanks RC for your advice. I know you see my point as well. Cheers. Prost.  

Favor - can someone photoshop these wheels -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-PORSCHE-911-SPORT-CLASSIC-FUCHS-19-WHEEL-TIRE-997-CARRERCA-S-TURBO-/350496358823

onto the black Turbo I am buying.  What do you guys think?  I love these wheels as they remind me of my old cars.

thanks

Here.jpg

Nice Fuchs wheels. kiss

But the tail pipes look like gutter downspouts on a cheap house.heart

I wouldn't garage your Porsche next to a Hyundai Sonata, it might not like you and.... get revenge. cheeky

JOE- thanks for the picture!! Much better than a PS! Smiley

The Sonata has been next to my 997 for years.  It might not even notice the difference. Smiley

In the interest of asking for opinions and advice - what do you guys think of these wheels (and does anyone want the current ones?Smiley)

Get the Fuchs wheels for sure, and change the exhaust tips to dual round ones on each side. 

Thanks for the suggestion about the exhaust.  I was just looking at my 997S exhaust and thinking that would be nicer.  I welcome all suggestions. Smiley

Planning the drive to the dealer in FL for next weekend. Looking forward to posting pics

Go with the Fuchs wheels. kiss

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782714 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    443052 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263559 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    262066 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86123 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6055 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881792 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    820398 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM