Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Itch scratched

So...

It's the subtle changes I like. The bonnet badge, recessed into the bonnet. The windscreen bonded to the backing without an unsightly edge strip. The key. Those lights!!!

Loving it!

--

991 (on it's way!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

The iPod surrond feature on PCM3. The sound pipe for engine note change in Sport mode. The faster spinning starter motor. LED lights in overhead console.

All great!

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

One thing I've found odd - oil pressure. My 997 was almost always at 5 except at idle - whereas 991 is 2-3. Obviously not been able to push much as need to keep below 4,500 rpm but I'm told by the dealer this is normal with pressure building as revs increase.

Talking of dealer - not so much as a box of chocolates on collection! (although tank was full) No top-up oil or screen wash either. Perhaps a sign of the times?

--

bridggar:

Talking of dealer - not so much as a box of chocolates on collection! (although tank was full) No top-up oil or screen wash either. Perhaps a sign of the times?

not even Porsche key rings?

some fuel?

probably because you got such a good deal, no more to be had

Ah - I did get two key rings. (and full tank of fuel)

--

bridggar:

But was the fuel super-unleaded...? Smiley

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Parking sensors - I must be in minority (and have plentiful parking).  I would not get them and I would have no need for them.  I have been parking these cars since I was 16 and know when I will fit.  It is not like the sensors will make the spot any bigger or teach you when to turn the wheel.  Additionally - the biggest problems is judging the lenght of the front end with curbs etc.  My car is VERY low and I must stay car away from curbs - parking sensors may not even help with that.

John H:
    bridggar:

I'd guess not - but so what?

--

Leawood911:

Parking sensors - I must be in minority (and have plentiful parking).  I would not get them and I would have no need for them.  I have been parking these cars since I was 16 and know when I will fit.  It is not like the sensors will make the spot any bigger or teach you when to turn the wheel.  Additionally - the biggest problems is judging the lenght of the front end with curbs etc.  My car is VERY low and I must stay car away from curbs - parking sensors may not even help with that.

Smiley... That makes three of us  - you, me & Budster. Smiley

Quite an exclusive club!  Smiley

--

bridggar:
    John H:
    bridggar:

There's a massive amount of discussion here on R/T re the importance of the grade of fuel we use in our cars!

Do a search - you'll be surprised how critical a factor it is...

--

John H:
    bridggar:
    John H:
    bridggar:

There's a massive amount of discussion here on R/T re the importance of the grade of fuel we use in our cars!

Do a search - you'll be surprised how critical a factor it is...

More important is the quality of the fuel - I'd much rather use premium brand normal unleaded than supermarket brand super unleaded.

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

+1 Agreed..kiss

--

John H:
    Leawood911:

Smiley... That makes three of us  - you, me & Budster. Smiley

Quite an exclusive club!  Smiley

My mistake..Smiley.. the group is you, me and PureBlue - still exclusive though!  Smiley

--

Kind of ironic that the first thing to go wrong with my new car is the front parking sensors....

--

It would seem the intermittent fault is due to a faulty sensor (rather than a software fault) so I have to wait until next week - or maybe the week after before the part is available. (needs to be shipped, then painted)

Was nice to be loaned a C4S 991 whilst they checked as it reinforces my view that the simpler Carrera was a great choice. I did like the front/rear traction graphic though. Glad I didn't spend £1700 on PSE.

--

Any chance of some photographs of your new 991 please? Smiley

--

No PSE - you must be joking!  It has to be a must for any 911?

How can you justify such an opinion? heart

--

£1700. The noise generated within the cabin (which is all I care about) is almost as much fun as the loud button. It has no performance gain. And it's £1700!!!!

--

I must admit I would really miss PSE and an option I would definitely tick if I was ordering a new 991 - and it's supposed to be even better on 991 than 997 - but with options you have to stop somewhere and each to their own I guess.

--

bridggar:

£1700. The noise generated within the cabin (which is all I care about) is almost as much fun as the loud button. It has no performance gain. And it's £1700!!!!

I don't know whether there is a performance gain or not. Perhaps there is and Porsche don't mention it for type approval purposes.

Nevertheless, on the 997.2 when I retrofitted the PSE, I've found that the engine became more free-revving at the higher ranges, even with the button at the off position. I am sure that the benefit is not just aural.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Nevertheless, on the 997.2 when I retrofitted the PSE, I've found that the engine became more free-revving at the higher ranges, even with the button at the off position. I am sure that the benefit is not just aural.

As an aside, reginos, the PSE on our 997/2 was also retrofitted, by the previous owner. According to the book of words,  when you press "Sport" button PSE should come on as well, but with mine it doesn't, have to press the PSE button separately to activate it. Is this the same as yours - I have assumed it is a quirk with retrofitted PSE?

--

On my 997.2 GTS, the sport button automatically turns the PASM to sport mode but the PSE has to be turned on seperately & mine was factory fitted

Gilmour:

On my 997.2 GTS, the sport button automatically turns the PASM to sport mode but the PSE has to be turned on seperately & mine was factory fitted

Thanks Gilmour - mine is an early 997/2 - maybe it was changed at some point Smiley hardly a major issue!

--

dreamcar:
    reginos:

As an aside, reginos, the PSE on our 997/2 was also retrofitted, by the previous owner. According to the book of words,  when you press "Sport" button PSE should come on as well, but with mine it doesn't, have to press the PSE button separately to activate it. Is this the same as yours - I have assumed it is a quirk with retrofitted PSE?

Same here. Sport button activates PASM but not PSE.

--

"Form follows function"

Thanks reginos - Book of Words must be wrong. The usual procedure - start engine - press sport button - press PSE button - press PASM button ( to put suspension back to Normal ride quality ) prevails Smiley

--

On the sportscars, when do people use the sport mode of PASM on the road? I'd like to have some feedback please.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

On the sportscars, when do people use the sport mode of PASM on the road? I'd like to have some feedback please.

Not yet with the 997/2, but on really challenging roads in the Yorkshire Dales ( such as the B6265 from Ingleton to Hawes, past the magnificent Ribblehead viaduct, my No.1 top English driving road or the Buttertubs Pass road from Hawes to Thwaites, another cracker) when we had the Boxster - yes, as it gave better control. No doubt the same would apply to the 997 on this road. The Cayman was truly awesome here and gave me one of the finest driving experiences ever, no PASM but used sport plus with the PDK and changed gear manually using the paddles.

--

I have found that on roads with a series of tight bends the sport mode give more steering accuracy and less understeer. But this is for very short spells as it is crashy.

IMO there should have been 3 modes. Normal similar to current, a firmer mode for road driving and a track mode similar to current Sport. 

--

"Form follows function"

I believe PASM sport mode on the new 991 has a much more road usable sport suspension setting, the set up on the new car is more compliant throughout. Not had the opportunity to drive one for long enough to make a valid comparison though.

--

It is indeed, as the ride is smoother and more composed overall. In the case of the 991 there could have been a sportier third mode (track) for people who don't want the more extreme -20mm Sport PASM option.

--

"Form follows function"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806459 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449510 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267039 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90446 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7198 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

887262 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    836033 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM