Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: BMW's galore

Congrats Mike for the new additions!  

I was fortunate enough to own a 1M for 12 months.  (thanks to fellow member giving up his build slot to me!).

since some members are interested in the 1M, I will share my limited knowledge as an ex-owner.

it was a wonderful car.  great fun to drive, definitely tail happy! more than enough power for the road, and being TT, usable torque everywhere!  I prefer it to the M3, mainly cos I like lighter+smaller cars.   but M3 engine has much much more character.  the 1M engine is, well, nothing special to be honest.  runs out of puffs towards the end, and sounds.... well.... ordinary....   but it suits the car well for what it is.  and did I say it was FUN to drive?!

I find that u have to drive with the TC half off (or M-Dynanmic Mode ON) all the time, otherwise it's very frustrating as it cuts in ALL the time.  with TC fully off, it's tricky in the wets, a bit too much tip-toeing for my liking.    I wish there's was a way for the driver to configure it a bit.   but i guess it's not what a 1M stands for.   It;s a simple hot hatch type car on steroids, back to basics, just get in and drive.

Steering feel was good, (not great compared to a Porsche). but at least it's not as light as most modern BMWs.   Dont really like the sports seats. pain in the butt on long trips! not enough padding no shoulder support.  the OZ spec has all creature comforts like a fully spec 1-series.  the new nav and idrive r excellent.

overall, 8/10 for me.    It's certainly a great final hooray for the 1-series and BMW marketing department has done an exceptional job for the 1M.  i dont recall another modern BMW that has generated so much hype around the world.

in OZ, it costs the same as a slight used E90 M3 or used 987 Boxster S.   for me, I will prob get the Boxster S cos I am a Porsche man at heart.   but I have enjoyed every single moment owning and driving the 1M.

Unfortunately, it's not as rare in OZ than in other countries. we have ~ 300 1M delivered. so considering we are such a small market, that's quite a lot.  UK has about 450?  definitely not as rare as the CSL.  

and Mike, I am sorry, only one colour looks good on the 1M!  smiley

1M.jpg

--

BMW 1 M + C63. 

Thanks for this interesting rapport. I like this car and would consider it as my DD if I do not have the Carrera S for that.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

derder:

Congrats Mike for the new additions!  

I was fortunate enough to own a 1M for 12 months.  (thanks to fellow member giving up his build slot to me!).

since some members are interested in the 1M, I will share my limited knowledge as an ex-owner.

it was a wonderful car.  great fun to drive, definitely tail happy! more than enough power for the road, and being TT, usable torque everywhere!  I prefer it to the M3, mainly cos I like lighter+smaller cars.   but M3 engine has much much more character.  the 1M engine is, well, nothing special to be honest.  runs out of puffs towards the end, and sounds.... well.... ordinary....   but it suits the car well for what it is.  and did I say it was FUN to drive?!

I find that u have to drive with the TC half off (or M-Dynanmic Mode ON) all the time, otherwise it's very frustrating as it cuts in ALL the time.  with TC fully off, it's tricky in the wets, a bit too much tip-toeing for my liking.    I wish there's was a way for the driver to configure it a bit.   but i guess it's not what a 1M stands for.   It;s a simple hot hatch type car on steroids, back to basics, just get in and drive.

Steering feel was good, (not great compared to a Porsche). but at least it's not as light as most modern BMWs.   Dont really like the sports seats. pain in the butt on long trips! not enough padding no shoulder support.  the OZ spec has all creature comforts like a fully spec 1-series.  the new nav and idrive r excellent.

overall, 8/10 for me.    It's certainly a great final hooray for the 1-series and BMW marketing department has done an exceptional job for the 1M.  i dont recall another modern BMW that has generated so much hype around the world.

in OZ, it costs the same as a slight used E90 M3 or used 987 Boxster S.   for me, I will prob get the Boxster S cos I am a Porsche man at heart.   but I have enjoyed every single moment owning and driving the 1M.

Unfortunately, it's not as rare in OZ than in other countries. we have ~ 300 1M delivered. so considering we are such a small market, that's quite a lot.  UK has about 450?  definitely not as rare as the CSL.  

and Mike, I am sorry, only one colour looks good on the 1M!  smiley

Hi derder,

I agree with you fully. The E92 is a total different barrel of fish to the 1M. Over here they(1M) are relatively rare as there is only 70 allocations for my country. The CSL(65 allocations) is still the king for me, I love every aspect about the car. I actually just got it back today from the shop. There are still other improvements I want to make, but I will do them over the course of the next month.

Looking as new Mike, love the passion you put into making it perfect. I just got home from my commute in the CSL, and even after a long day at work, I couldn't resist taking the long way home. It's that sort of car, the CSL, I'm hooked!

Your CSL looks magnificent - like a new car!  I'm waiting (impatiently) for mine to come back from the shop, can't wait to get back in it.  Smiley

Mike,  once ur CSL is "done",  the 1M will be gathering dust...

the CSL is my all time fav.  if only they come in manual.....

--

BMW 1 M + C63. 

@Porker: Thanks Porker. The CSL is a special car and I spent the last few years searching for the right one. This one is worth the extra effort smiley

@PureBlue: Thank you! It's almost there, just a few more touches here and there and it will be literally as new! I wish you luck on getting yours back before the weekend. The weather there must be marvelous now.

@derder: I'm sure you are right derder, but I will still get to get behind the wheel of the 1M every now and then indecision I too wish it came in manual, but I got used to the SMG with the other BMW's in the garage. It's no more or less irritating than any E-gear Lambo.

Thanks for the driveway photo upload Mike, the CSL looks like new! Nice find kiss

Thank you Atz! One more with another stablemate.

You shouldn't make your CSL feel so inferior!

Mike S:

Thank you Atz! One more with another stablemate.

These 2 cars are my all time favorite along with 430 Scuderia. Awesome collection of cars Mike. Smiley

--

ONUR

WAITING FOR THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Porker:

You shouldn't make your CSL feel so inferior!

Oh it smiles because it knows it offers just as much fun if not more Smiley

Btw Mike, have you not insured it? No plates up front... do you need front plates? Are you temp. insuring your cars as you take them out, i'd imagine with so many cars it won't be sensible to have them all fully insured. No idea, but here in Germany they are working on a general plate which you can switch between your cars.

Hi Atz, it was still in the process of being re-registered. I do unfortunately need plates.

It is all done now!

Fine example, Mike, well done.

Congrats...

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

That looks absolutely mint, congratulations again. Any chance you'll be tempted to fit the Michelin Cup-tyres?

That looks fantastic!

Finally got mine back from the shop last week (after 2 1/2 weeks) and promptly picked up a nail in one of the rear tyres.  Initially thought of replacing the two rears only, but then discovered that Michelin had discontinued the PS2s in this size (265/30 19) - so it gave me a perfect excuse to order a full set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cups.  Now my car's sitting in the garage wating for its new tyres to arrive (a transport workers' strike in SA is playing havoc with deliveries of just about everything).  Smiley

PureBlue:

That looks fantastic!

Finally got mine back from the shop last week (after 2 1/2 weeks) and promptly picked up a nail in one of the rear tyres.  Initially thought of replacing the two rears only, but then discovered that Michelin had discontinued the PS2s in this size (265/30 19) - so it gave me a perfect excuse to order a full set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cups.  Now my car's sitting in the garage wating for its new tyres to arrive (a transport workers' strike in SA is playing havoc with deliveries of just about everything).  Smiley

I'm quite surprised by the Michelin Supersports I have fitted to my CSL, dry grip is better than expected for a non semi-slick while I can easily drive quickly in torrential rain, a very nicely balanced tyre in my experience.

Yet, I do feel a CSL should have MPSC fitted, which is what my next tyre will be.

Regarding suspension, I'm ditching the Bilstein PSS10 in favor of Intrax 1K2 or KW Clubsport this month, I'll post my impressions when fitted.

Porker:
    I'm quite surprised by the Michelin Supersports I have fitted to my CSL, dry grip is better than expected for a non semi-slick while I can easily drive quickly in torrential rain, a very nicely balanced tyre in my experience.

Yet, I do feel a CSL should have MPSC fitted, which is what my next tyre will be.

--

I think as soon as you will try the CUPs (real cups not the g@y CUP+) you will be shocked.
    The tyre was designed for the CSL so you can draw your conclusions Smiley

370hp/389NM stock M3 CSL http://www.clubcsl.com

Mike S:

Hi Atz, it was still in the process of being re-registered. I do unfortunately need plates.

It is all done now!

--

Your CSL looks very nice !
    Congratulations !

It would be good if you apply the epoxy foam workaround in the rear chassis subframe, in order to avoid future issues with cracks.

370hp/389NM stock M3 CSL http://www.clubcsl.com

That is a pristine looking M3 Mike, I wouldn't expect anything less from you. Also love the 1M there next to it. The 1M is def one of my favourite current BMWs.

Looks mint! All you need are a set of these for the interior

Smiley

Mike S:

It is all done now!

No A/C SmileySmileySmiley

--

ONUR

WAITING FOR THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Thanks guys. I put on other tires for a number of reasons. There was no immediate stock of the MPSC tires and I am not going to be driving the car much. I generally don't drive many of them much. I also felt it would have been a waste as there are no nice tracks near where I live in any event.

I do need to address the mats, the originals are still underneath.

The car does indeed have no A/C kiss

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803293 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448596 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266158 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90083 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6635 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885764 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833374 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM