Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Picked up my C63 AMG Coupe PP

RC:

I just can't wait until it warms up and I can put on my summer wheels. kiss

It won't make a difference....trust me indecision

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

I get wheelspin in 3rd gear, and I have 255 Winter tires. I Hope I can finally feel  the whole acceleration with sommer tires on! Intouch don't destroy this hope! 

intouch1:
    RC:

I just can't wait until it warms up and I can put on my summer wheels. kiss

It won't make a difference....trust me indecision

What tires do you have ? The guy at my local AMG center claims that with the Continental 5P M0, traction is excellent. This tire is supposed to address some of the traction issues of the C63.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

255 max on C63?

If cars are having trouble putting down 500-600hp even with 305s, how in the world can 255 handle 500hp?

I have to imagine if there is no traction control even slicks can't handle 500 with only 2 wheels.

Whoopsy:

255 max on C63?

If cars are having trouble putting down 500-600hp even with 305s, how in the world can 255 handle 500hp?

I have to imagine if there is no traction control even slicks can't handle 500 with only 2 wheels.

It actually works pretty well, I have 225s on the rear now and while there are minor traction issues from standstill, there isn't really that huge traction problem one could expect from such a huge torque. Of course the C63 would be the perfect candidate for a 4matic (AWD) option and probably the most amazing affordable car on the planet with 4matic and maybe 50 horses more but I have to drive with what I have. Smiley

Traction issues due to the huge torque are actually the reason why people should stick to tire recommendations from AMG, especially on the C63. The best summer tire in this regard is the Continental P5 M0 (the M0 is very important because it has a different compound mixture in the rear, offering better traction for the RWD C63).

I actually love Sport Handling mode the best: It doesn't turn ESP off completely but it allows a lot of slip before the ESP kicks in for safety reasons. For public roads, definitely the best option. I tried driving a little bit with ESP turned off completely (pressing the ESP button for a couple of seconds does that) but the car is too unpredictable with that setting on public roads. Even at 3500 rpm and half throttle, the rear wants to break out (and it actually does with ESP turned off), so one needs to be careful.

Yes, 285s would probably do wonders on the rear of the C63 but the C63 AMG Coupe Black Series has the rear axle from the E63 AMG I'm afraid, this is why wider tires fit. The maximum recommended size for the C63 AMG are 255s on the rear, some tuners offer 265s but thats it. More doesn't improve anything, the chassis just isn't tuned for larger rear tires and I won't even mention the impact on the LSD & MCT gearbox with wider tires on the rear axle.

I'm kind of thinking about the C63 AMG Coupe Black Series offer my dealer made me but the car was almost 50k EUR more expensive, so these are worthless thoughts in the end. The Black Series would have been also too flashy for my needs and performance is practically the same. Only traction from standstill is a tiny bit better (4.1 instead of 4.3 seconds from 0-100 kph) because of the wider rear tires and the type of tire (Supersports).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:
    Whoopsy:

255 max on C63?

Yes, 285s would probably do wonders on the rear of the C63 but the C63 AMG Coupe Black Series has the rear axle from the E63 AMG I'm afraid, this is why wider tires fit. The maximum recommended size for the C63 AMG are 255s on the rear, some tuners offer 265s but thats it. More doesn't improve anything, the chassis just isn't tuned for larger rear tires and I won't even mention the impact on the LSD & MCT gearbox with wider tires on the rear axle.

From the limited experience I have with an E63 AMG, fitted with 285 rears if I recall correctly, even that size didn't do wonders for the traction. During a spirited drive, the ESP-light was constantly flashing below 100km/h on a cold dry road. I felt it was a hugely entertaining car, but I wouldn't say it has 'minor' traction issues.

Of course, driving that car once in a blue moon, or driving it daily dictates another driving style, I'm sure you drive your C63 in a more self-sustained way than I did.

Was it the latest model ? AMG has changed chassis setups, ESP setups and tire mixtures a lot over the past two years.

The new C63 AMG Coupe PP even outruns the M3 Coupe with Competition Package on the track, more than half a second difference in Hockenheim, Kleiner Kurs. 

--

It was the present model (W212) but still in NA-spec, not the latest 5.5 TT. wink

Getting my summer wheels mounted tomorrow...finally. blush

It is going to be a surprise...I actually don't have a clue what summer tires the wheels have.

--

Wow, if you're on the way with summer wheels the spring is apparently in front of the door. :-)
    Have fun!!!
    --
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

Had my summer wheels mounted an hour ago, traction is definitely better but I still have another 300 km to go before I can actually drive the car in a more serious manner to see how bad (or good) traction really is.

Slight disappointment: My summer wheels have the Continental Sport Contact 3 tires and not the Continental Sport Contact P5 I have hoped for (highly recommended because of improved traction !). I may exchange the summer tires anyway because I don't know how the previous driver actually drove this car ("climbing" boardwalks, etc.), so this is an opportunity to get the tires I want to.  

With the wider rear tires (255s instead of the 225s winter tires), the car doesn't look much different from the rear, which was kind of a surprise. The 255s are not wide enough to cope with the four gigantic exhaust pipes, so maybe AMG should have toned down the size a notch to make it look more harmonious. Not really a problem but this car could definitely need some wider tires in the rear, 285s would be perfect in my opinion (from an optical point of view).

amgsr.jpg

Also interesting (my neighbor will hate me): I just found out that my neighbor ordered a C63 Coupe Black Series last year, he will be pretty p.ss.d when he finds out that I got a similar car. I didn't have a clue and my C63 Coupe certainly is no Black Series but I know him pretty well and he is kind of a guy who cares a lot about being special regarding cars. Car lovers always go for the same stuff...I guess. Smiley Smiley

--

Your tire dealer will be your best friend the next couple of month, assuming a spirited driving style and you as an inevitable target of some hot-blooded street racers  indecision

Has the fan issue been solved meanwhile?

jesse:

Your tire dealer will be your best friend the next couple of month, assuming a spirited driving style and you as an inevitable target of some hot-blooded street racers  indecision

Has the fan issue been solved meanwhile?

Smiley

The fan issue is well known but there is no fix yet. According to AMG, a fix should be ready around May or June.

Fan only gets on at 118 degrees C oil temp and turns off at 108 degrees C.

--

finaslly checked my tires. contisport contact 5P

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

finaslly checked my tires. contisport contact 5P

Funny part about this is: Today I got the claim from my mechanic, that the 5P M0 isn't approved in 19'' size by AMG...yet. Which sounds very weird since they have a...M0 classification. Smiley

I suppose you have 18'' wheels ? Smiley

--

yup went for 18'' cause of our less than perfect roads. and my c63 being a daily driver i opted for the smaller rims.

--

Hi, Christian,

I'm very interested in your first experience with the C63 AMG since you have the summer tires on. The break-in is now surely over I guess, so that you can enjoy the car with the full performance. How satisfied are you all in all? Are there things that you would criticize? (Apart from the problem with the fan). But I'm sure you have lots of fun with this beast of a car.Smiley

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Congrats on your new toy Christian. This car must be a hell of lot of fun, much easier to play/slide than any current 911, the front engine/RWD layout together with so much power at low revs it´s the magic formula for some huge power slides, all tempered with an engine sound  only a 8 cilinder engine can provide Smiley and what a sound this particular AMG motor has Smiley, fum fun fun Smiley

J.Seven

Conny997:

Hi, Christian,

I'm very interested in your first experience with the C63 AMG since you have the summer tires on. The break-in is now surely over I guess, so that you can enjoy the car with the full performance. How satisfied are you all in all? Are there things that you would criticize? (Apart from the problem with the fan). But I'm sure you have lots of fun with this beast of a car.Smiley

I actually wrote a pretty extensive report about my experience and...Rennteam 2.0 ate it. Smiley I took me over two hours to write it and it was gone...poof. Smiley

Right now I have a lot of work (prior to the Easter holiday) and I just can't do it.

A couple of short observations though:

1. The exhaust sound is just amazing, I like it much more than the sound on my 997 Carrera GTS Cab PSE. It is loud but in "C" mode, it can also be subtle in lower rev ranges, providing a pretty obvious V8 bubble. I already had a couple of people at parking lots asking me to rev a couple of times, the C63 really seems to be famous. Smiley

2. Steering is very precise and despite the thin rear tires, the car drives like on rails, very very sporty chassis setup and very close to the 911. The 911 steering feels a tiny bit more direct, the throttle response in Sport Plus mode is a tiny bit better and side roll is a tiny bit reduced on the 911 but otherwise, the C63 Coupe is pretty close to the 911, which was kind of the biggest surprise.

3. Traction is bad but...not really. The ESP setup is very good for a Mercedes, you can actually enjoy the whole 487 horses with ESP on, it works pretty well, even when it slightly cuts off power. The best mode for sporty street driving is the ESP Sport Handling Mode, which is very close to the Porsche PSM setup with Sport Chrono active. It allows enough slip to do some mild drifting but I tried to drift in a larger traffic circle and it cuts power off too much when the drift angle is too big. For drifting, turning ESP completely off is the best method and it works amazingly good but keep in mind that this means untamed 487 horses, my son was shouting out loud...because he was afraid. Smiley I used a large parking lot outside the city yesterday, so neighbors wouldn't call the police. Not sure but I think I burned off 50% of my rear tires tread pattern yesterday... Smiley To make it short: From 0-60 kph, the ESP comes on but the LSD does a pretty good job too. With ESP completely turned off, the car tries to break out till aprox. 100 kph (!), you need to be very careful, there is a lot of power and torque involved. I'm still impressed how good the ESP setup is though, the traction issues are there but not as much as I thought (gladly). I'm actually pretty sure that with larger rear tires, the traction would be almost perfect, especially in ESP Sport Handling Mode.

4. Top speed is 290 kph according to the speedo, this is when the electronic limiter kicks in very very gently. GPS (roof antenna) showed true 284 kph. The C63 speedo is very accurate, at 50 kph it is true 50 kph and at 100 kph, it is 101 kph. At 200 kph, it shows 202 kph. I always have to keep that in mind. Smiley

5. Fuel consumption, driving the car as crazy and as fast as possible, is in the 20 liters / 100 km range. Not bad at all, especially since I can reduce the fuel consumption to 16 l / 100 km or so when driving "normal".

6. I already have 2200 km on the car and oil consumption is...practically zero. I didn't fill up anything and the level is still at full. Not bad at all, especially since I heard that the C63 engine actually loves to eat up oil.

7. Even on wet pavement, the car drives excellent, traction is OK (with ESP turned on).

8. The 19'' Continental SportContact 3 M0 tires are pretty good, on dry and wet pavement. I like them much more than the Pirelli PZero on my Carrera GTS Cab. 

9. The brakes are just amazingly good for a Mercedes, no fading at all (even from higher speeds) and it is possible to define the braking point very precisely. The brake pedal feel is firm and sporty. Actually the best brake system I ever encountered on a Mercedes.

10. A Jaguar XKR-S Cab encounter on the Autobahn made the driver and his female companion laugh, I was able to keep up with them from 160 to 260 kph but I couldn't pass them and he couldn't drive away. So the 487 horses are apparently all there... Smiley

I couldn't be happier with this car, the sound keeps a smile on my face each and every day and it is fun to drive, even on wet pavement. For the money I paid, this car is a steal. Smiley

--

J.Seven:

Congrats on your new toy Christian. This car must be a hell of lot of fun, much easier to play/slide than any current 911, the front engine/RWD layout together with so much power at low revs it´s the magic formula for some huge power slides, all tempered with an engine sound  only a 8 cilinder engine can provide Smiley and what a sound this particular AMG motor has Smiley, fum fun fun Smiley

J.Seven

Thank you. Smiley

One reason I got this car is the fact that the C63 Coupe seems to be the "last" German muscle car. All new Mercedes models will get the bi-turbo V8, which isn't a bad engine at all and sounds nice too but the C63 V8 is just amazing. The last of it's kind, I plan to keep this car for a very long time (could be my first car in a possible "collection" Smiley). I just wish it had 4matic (AWD) but everything else is almost perfect.

--

Thanks a lot for the very valuable and competent report.Smiley All in all a great car, as I already presumed. I think the consumption is quite normal for this 6,2 litre engine. Especially your last sentence is very motivating to include this great engine in my further purchase considerations.Smiley

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Conny997:
    Thanks a lot for the very valuable and competent report.Smiley All in all a great car, as I already presumed. I think the consumption is quite normal for this 6,2 litre engine. Especially your last sentence is very motivating to include this great engine in my further purchase considerations.Smiley

I saw a white C63 Coupe Black Series two weeks ago around Lake Ammer, it had the S-CC press car license plates. Beautiful car, much better looking live, I kind of regret not getting one but the price difference was just too steep and I couldn't afford it. Even the rear wing, I'm not a fan of such stuff, looked good on that car.

--

had a longer drive in my c63 today and stepped on it in s+ mode and esp in sport handling mode.....great car !

and what an engine. gobs of torque on a fairly high revving v8 is just amazing....

--

intouch1:

had a longer drive in my c63 today and stepped on it in s+ mode and esp in sport handling mode.....great car !

and what an engine. gobs of torque on a fairly high revving v8 is just amazing....

My sales guy told me today that he had a C63 sedan customer a couple of days in his office who requested a possibility to mute down the exhaust system because it is too loud. Smiley Even in "C" mode, the V8 bubble apparently is too much for this customer, he wants to install a flap system exhaust but Mercedes doesn't approve it (warranty). Now he wants to get a E63 instead because the new bi-turbo charged version is apparently not that loud (I can confirm that, the latest E63 is pretty civil, only if you "step it", the sounds gets really loud).

Crazy people... Smiley

--

that's why the 6.2 NA equipped cars will be secial. the last of it's breed.

the sickest sound the car actually makes is when really stepping on it during upshifts. its barely noticeable for a second or so, but what a lovely sound....

--

I plan to keep this car for a very long time... 

--

RC:

intouch1:

My sales guy told me today that he had a C63 sedan customer a couple of days in his office who requested a possibility to mute down the exhaust system because it is too loud. Smiley Even in "C" mode, the V8 bubble apparently is too much for this customer, he wants to install a flap system exhaust but Mercedes doesn't approve it (warranty). Now he wants to get a E63 instead because the new bi-turbo charged version is apparently not that loud (I can confirm that, the latest E63 is pretty civil, only if you "step it", the sounds gets really loud).

Crazy people... Smiley

Unbelievable this customer. He should buy a S-Class V12.
    --
    Kind regards, Conny 

Conny997:
    RC:

intouch1:

Crazy people... Smiley

Unbelievable this customer. He should buy a S-Class V12.

Nah... even that is too gruff for his liking. An Audi S4 it is then.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

I met this particular customer today when I went to my dealership for an appointment for changing oil in the LSD.

He bought the E63 station wagon my dealer had there, very nice looking car, including ceramic brakes. Rebate was insane according to him and yes, the car sounds quieter than mine but you can still hear the V8 bubble when he gently accelerates. He took off from the dealership at around 30-50 kph and probably not more than 3000-4000 rpm but the car sounded really muted. I think he found the perfect car but I still wonder why he chose the station wagon.

--

Great car, congrats Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688954 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408904 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255619 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234878 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65459 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857732 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773679 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM