Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

C2S: Sport Chrono yes or no

Hi folks,

With sport button standard now... not sure if  sport chrono its even necessary, i'll never use the launch control or the chrono clock.... sport plus is overkill for the street (keeps revs way too high for street driving). 

About to finalize my CS2 order, but cant decide on SC o not.  Will the car feel any slower without SC, even on sport mode? (see above)

Also deciding on Ruby Red or Guards red, or just plan Black.

Opinions welcome :)

Cheers,

COCO

--

2011 Turbo S Cabriolet Guards Red/2tone Black Cream
    2006 Cayman S with goodies
    2005 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    2007 Toyota Hilux Bulletproof 

Re: C2S: Sport Chrono yes or no

I had/have the exact same deliberations with myself - in addition to color options. I agree that sport plus is too aggressive for daily driving and I do not use launch control either - the only reason as to why you may want to get it is resale value (if you care).

I opted to go with the PDCC instead of Chrono.

btw - another reason why i will not order Chrono is indeed the fact that SPORT is standard but also that if you do order Chrono, the clock will turn into Chrono so effectively you lose a nice analog clock...

As for colors - i am contemplating between Basalt Black & Dark Blue.

Don't forget that the Dynamic Engine Mounts (as on the GT3) are part of the Sport Chrono Package and they cannot be ordered separately. Only for this I would tick the box..

--

"Form follows function"

^

How would you tell the difference in normal street driving conditions?

SC is a must option!

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

SC Plus mode may be too much for regular street driving but its an absolute joy for the ocasional spirirted driving, turns the 991 into a different car that you cannot access without the SC. Just for that I would order it. Also as Reginos said, the dinamic engine mounts are also part of the package, how can you tell the difference in normal street driving? my guess would be in highway driving for example, were the weight transfers unselttle the car more. And its an option that cannot be retrofitted. For me SC is one of the absolute must have options.

--

Carlos from Spain:

SC Plus mode may be too much for regular street driving but its an absolute joy for the occasional spirited driving, turns the 991 into a different car.

A 911 without SC is like a rottweiler without balls.  Even if you don't want puppies. 

Don't do it to him - it's just not right.

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Budster:
    Carlos from Spain:

SC Plus mode may be too much for regular street driving but its an absolute joy for the occasional spirited driving, turns the 991 into a different car.

A 911 without SC is like a rottweiler without balls.  Even if you don't want puppies. 

Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

The Dynamic Engine Mounts alone are well worth the price of the SC option.

Budster:
    Carlos from Spain:

I would rather think of 911 as a doberman - elegant but fearless. Smiley

Agree that SC is an absolutely must have option. It can like you mention be too agressive in sport plus if you have it in AUTO-mode. BUT the thing is that (if you like me) drive it often in manual and use the paddles for switching gears, then Sport plus is your best friend because the gear changes are engaging so much faster in Sport plus than in Sport mode. For this thing alone I would tick the box for SC and the dynamic engine mounts is also a very nice thing to have! Do it! smiley

--

On Order: 991 C2S Basalt Black/Black - PDK, PSE, SPASM, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.2 C2S Meteor Grey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.1 C2S Black/Black - PSE, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, etc.

SC is a must have option. Enjoy it!

--

There is no try. Just do.

Lukas:

(if you like me) drive it often in manual and use the paddles for switching gears, then Sport plus is your best friend because the gear changes are engaging so much faster in Sport plus than in Sport mode. For this thing alone I would tick the box for SC and the dynamic engine mounts is also a very nice thing to have! Do it! smiley

I am still confused and not so yet convinced. I was under the impression that gear change with the new paddles was lightning fast in the new 991 so I dont see how a micro second more or less would make any difference, if any, with SC between SPORT and SPORT+

I might still tick the SC option, but I am just having a hard time justifying it.  There are so many other cosmetic options that I want to tick instead, but I am trying to keep the build sheet as low as possible without sacrificing urban performance. Maybe if by having SC this would mean a much better throttle response with the sports+ on, and eventually a faster acceleration than regular SPORT mode, then it would be absolutely worth it in my opinion (besides the engine mount thingy). But if throttle response is the same with the "standard" SPORT mode, I see no much advantage unless you are in full auto mode and wish gear changes near the red line.

I think having PDK is the real "must have option", at least performance wise. 

Thanks all for your input, btw.

--

2011 Ferrari 458 Italia Rosso Mondiale / cuoio
    2011 Turbo S Cabriolet Guards Red/2tone Black Cream SOLD
    2010 BMW activehybrid7 Black/Black (DD)
    2010 Cadillac Escalade hybrid
    2006 Cayman S with goodies (WC) SOLD

Coco, if you aren't interested in maximizing (or at least optimizing) the potential performance )and I'm not suggesting for one moment that you aren't interested in performance at all), why don't you just get the C2 instead of the C2S - you'd then be able to get as many cosmetic items as you like, and the C2 is still a fantastic performance car.

I personally wouldn't do it, hence my tongue-in-cheek analogy earlier.  But if you're getting a C2S, you should fully load it with what is almost a "standard" performance option (yeah, it's a contradiction I know!) before looking to improve the stitching colour.

I know you'll never use it.  But you'll always know it's there...

--

The combination of PDK, limited slip diff, Sport chrono and sport exhaust, makes the car a very different animal.

You may go even further adding the -20mm sport pasm and PCCB (the later really not necessary in a C2 or C2S).

But for sure these options really make a difference in how you enjoy driving a 911. So you need to ask yourself what it is more important. The driving part or the looks.

--

Lukas:

Agree that SC is an absolutely must have option. It can like you mention be too agressive in sport plus if you have it in AUTO-mode. BUT the thing is that (if you like me) drive it often in manual and use the paddles for switching gears, then Sport plus is your best friend because the gear changes are engaging so much faster in Sport plus than in Sport mode. For this thing alone I would tick the box for SC and the dynamic engine mounts is also a very nice thing to have! Do it! smiley

+ 1 .  Totally agree

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Note: Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV), which I defined above as the LSD (limited slip diff) is standard on the C2S but an option on the C2. Same thing with the standard PASM: standard on C2S, option on the C2.

Also I forgot the PDCC but that is available only on the C2S.

I had the same dilemma: a full option C2 (all driving options + some design ones) or a compromised C2S (only some of the options). So perhaps you can also analyze the C2 option. For a daily driver the C2 is enough. For spirited driving session I would say that the C2S is better.

--

Oh, and one more thing: don't forget that all these electronic stuff are designed at first as a whole package. They tune the systems first on a car that has ALL of them. Next step is to take them out one by one and see how they compensate for their absence. Because of that, the "driving aids" work better when are all of them installed. Especially the gearbox-suspension-sportchrono-traction package (for instance a full TurboS will be: Turbo + PDK + PASM + PDCC + SC + PTV + AWD + PCCB). PSM (stability control), ABS, TC and so on, are all more effective when all the other components are installed. Taking some out have more or less of an impact depending on how you use your car: mostly daily driver or mostly fast driving. However the Sport Chrono has a big impact on both of those (like the PASM and the PDK has too). So I would not buy a car without it.

You should first decide how you are going to use your car MOST of the time.

And in the end, don't worry too much: you can't go wrong with a 911 Smiley

--

Another option that I'm beginning to think is an absolute must - which I didn't get and I'm annoyed that it needs to be a must - is the Burmeister sound upgrade.

I'm staggered just how poor the basic sound system is in a car of this quality (and price of course!). 

I've just moved from a 2005 Audi S4 with the standard (albeit their in-house top end) "symphony" unit, and despite the fact that a sedan has more scope to fill every cavity with a speaker, the 911 unit is just awful. 

I'm not sure how good the Burmeister is, and as I don't regard myself as an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination I wouldn't normally be interested in paying more for an audio option, but if I could, I would turn the clock back and go with the upgrade.

BTW - the PCM isn't great either when it comes to controlling data- scrolling through artists, let alone songs is arduous, and a dangerous  thing to do in any car, let alone a fast one!  Phone numbers too.  I've heard recently that even hands-free phone operating is to be banned in the US - I'm beginning to see why..!  (Joking - I think that's going too far... where does it stop..?)

--

With the new turbo s all the letters will be nice...but it's all standard and car is sat enuf to perhaps need those options

but. C2s is just a driver I can't see why Pdcc or pccb is needed.

bud, the burmeister is needed! In turbo s it was great

Can anyone explain why sport exhaust is needed

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    804082 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448746 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266365 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90171 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6760 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886093 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834531 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM