Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Los Angeles Porsche launch

LOL
    --
    Happy Driving

Given ISUK's point about 987 production terminating in June, as well as the (deliberately?) leaked pictures of the new Boxster testing, I guess the smart money must be on the next-generation Boxster. We'll know in 10 days' time...

550 maybe ? 

Seriously, I don't have a clue.

It could also be the Cayenne GTS or the Panamera GTS.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

My guess is also Cayenne GTS. On the other side...when its available in spring 2012, a debut in Geneva makes more sense.

..or what´s about a final edition of 911 turbo!? Comparable to 911 Carrera GTS.

560hp - 580hp plus further interior/exterior goodies...!?

Would be nice, or?

Has LA been the introduction venue for the 987 and its variants since 2004?

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

The 987 Boxster was launched at the Paris show in 2004.

...just read online in a German mag, that the world premiere in LA would be the Panamera GTS...hmmm, I don't know, Porsche always had the Shanghai Motor show as the first venue of the Panamera...9 days to go...

Cayenne GTS or Panamera GTS intro doesn't really excite me.

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

+1  Smiley

Apparently it is the 991 cab that is debuting at LA.

Thanks ISUK... 991 cab intro would be nice. We could finally see what they have done with the Cab top..

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

It's too soon for the 991 Cab + it won't come in fall. More like early spring next year.

I also don't think it's the 550 because we haven't seen any mules or any hints yet anywhere.

A GTS version isn't exciting enough, some black edition a sad joke...

I suspect the Boxster unveiling.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Trust me, it's the 991 cab according to my "source". The timing makes sense as the car is going to be in showrooms in early Spring. The coupe was shown at Frankfurt in September and will be in showrooms 4 months later in December. The cab will be shown at LA and in showrooms within the same sort of timescale

Don't forget the cab's have been spotted driving around California in the various convoys practically undisguised.

Porsche world premiere at the Los Angeles Auto Show 2011...

(7 November 2011)

Porsche is dispatching two new stars to the Los Angeles Auto Show 2011: the Porsche press conference will put the spotlight on the debut of the new 911 Carrera in North American and on the world premiere of a model boasting impressive performance and dynamic looks, exuding unadulterated driving pleasure.

To have first access to Porsche’s exciting announcements, watch the press conference live on Porsche Drive on Wednesday, Nov. 16 at 12:05 p.m. (PST) as we stream from the LA Auto Show.

LA Auto Show - Porsche link

Smiley SmileySmiley

....that "unadulterated driving pleasure" made me think again (happens sometimes...broken heart).

I guess its the 981 Boxster, with a downsized machine. Makes also sense, since obviously the photoshots for press materials did already happen.

..so still hope, for a Cayenne GTS and a 911 turbo special edition. Since both are only variants,  these may not go along as world premieres...

ISUK:

Trust me, it's the 991 cab according to my "source". The timing makes sense as the car is going to be in showrooms in early Spring. The coupe was shown at Frankfurt in September and will be in showrooms 4 months later in December. The cab will be shown at LA and in showrooms within the same sort of timescale

Don't forget the cab's have been spotted driving around California in the various convoys practically undisguised.

Could be...but I doubt it. The official 991 Coupe presentation takes place in december in Germany and I can't see any logic in showing the Cab to the public before the official launch of the Coupe.

Apparently the Panamera GTS will be shown...it remains to be seen.
    --

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

...hmm, I am still struggeling with the "unadulterated driving pleasure"...it sounds a bit "James Dean" to me...ok, 8 days to go...

d997h:

...hmm, I am still struggeling with the "unadulterated driving pleasure"...it sounds a bit "James Dean" to me...ok, 8 days to go...

550 then ? Smiley

--

...isn´t that veeery early!?  enlightened

It is NOT the Boxster.

I have the info from the Porsche PR that has invited me to LA Auto Show...

--

Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. Steve McQueen

RC:

Could be...but I doubt it. The official 991 Coupe presentation takes place in december in Germany and I can't see any logic in showing the Cab to the public before the official launch of the Coupe.

Apparently the Panamera GTS will be shown...it remains to be seen.

The cab and coupe appeal to different customers in the main so anyone wanting a cab will wait for it and showing it at LA won't adversely affect coupe sales. It will however build up a healthy forward order bank for the factory for next Spring for the new drop top Smiley

The coupe has already had it's "official launch" at Frankfurt and the December reveal is really the market introduction at dealer level. Following a similar timetable we could expect to see the dealer launch of the cab next March which is just in time for Spring in the northern hempishere. It does look like the new model release programme is being accelerated under VW.

Porsche never introduced another model variant before the initial model variant was introduced at dealer level to customers. It would confuse customers, it would be bad marketing.

As far as I know, the 991 Cab will be announced in Detroit or Geneva.

I could be wrong but the description of the announcement surely indicates something else than "another" 911 variant.

--

I recon the LA show is not big enough to be granted any ''major'' reveal, as new Boxster would be. My guess would be the 991 Cab.

Since we have been speculating about the sub-918 mid-engined Porsche, here is some information from the Autocar magazine

"Porsche may be forced to use the underpinnings of the next-generation Audi R8 for its all-new Ferrari 458 supercar rival — in spite of it being Volkswagen Group’s designated maker of platforms for future sports cars.

Development of this all-new part-carbonfibre architecture is already at an advanced stage and it was previewed on the Audi R8 E-tron concept at the recent Frankfurt motor show. It will underpin the second-gen R8 and Lamborghini Gallardo.

Porsche boss Matthias Müller outlined plans in August for a new supercar to slot between the 911 and 918 Spyder. But in spite of the firm’s desire to develop bespoke underpinnings for its 458 rival, Porsche may be forced to make use of the R8’s foundations. This is because VW considers the next R8 platform a suitable architecture for the Porsche and would save on development costs.

Such is Porsche’s desire to make a bespoke chassis, the firm could even delay its new supercar to coincide with the third generation of R8 and Gallardo in the early 2020s, with the trio using Porsche-developed underpinnings.

The second-gen R8 is also set to use the Audi-Bentley co-developed twin-turbo V8 that has been recently launched in the S8. Autocar understands that the engine can be pushed even further than the 513bhp developed in the S8.

The current R8 is due for a facelift at the Geneva motor show in March. Aside from cosmetic upgrades, the biggest developments will be an increase in power of the base 4.2-litre V8 to 450bhp and the 5.2-litre V10 to 552bhp.

A new dual-clutch seven-speed S-tronic gearbox will replace the current automated six-speeder."

--

"Form follows function"

991Cab does not make sense to me, too early and would take some of the spotlight away from the coupe they are just now introducing. Porsche always loved to escalate the introduction of all the models every 6mo and keep them separated, same with the Boxster rumor, though I guess there is a posibility they may have changed tactics all of a sudden.

Also neither the Cab of the Boxster have "impressive performance" compared to the 991 coupe they would will be sitting next to in the stand, so if they use that wording in the same press release and the introduction of the 991CarreraS, it stands to reason that it would have even better performance than a 991carreraS... or be a completely different vehicle class and therefore not comparable, i.e. a special Cayenne sport version.

My guess is still with a sub-918 "concept" car, not yet the real version prototype even but rather testing the waters and creating expectations with a just a concept.

--

Ha, this thread is becoming quite entertaining - I can't remember the last time Porsche caused such confusion and conjecture with a press release.  Is it the new Boxster, the 550, the 991 Cab, the Panamera GTS, the Cayenne GTS, maybe even the new sub-918 supercar???  Is it a bird, a plane - no, it's SuperPorsche.

I guess this simply shows that no one has the vaguest idea what this is going to be, which is probably excactly what PAG wanted.  After all this build-up, let's just hope it's not a big disappointment.  Smiley

(For what it's worth, my money's still on the Boxster.....or the 550....no, wait, maybe the Cab....).  Smiley

I say cab.

PureBlue:

I guess this simply shows that no one has the vaguest idea what this is going to be, which is probably excactly what PAG wanted.  After all this build-up, let's just hope it's not a big disappointment.

Guess those in the know won´t let the cat out easily. Very curious if Porsche delivers on the marketing front this time...

It just shows that we can expect so many enticing models as we haven´t had the chance to since a long time.

dxpetrov:

I recon the LA show is not big enough to be granted any ''major'' reveal, as new Boxster would be. My guess would be the 991 Cab.

I used to go to that show every year - it's Big.  And LA is a huge market for Porsche and other upscale autos.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Just talked to a "friend". It is not the Cab. The Cab will be announced early next year. This isn't 100% though since this "friend" doesn't work in the marketing department and he refused to give me any hint, so he knows exactly or he doesn't have a clue (which would be odd though).

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802108 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448131 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265748 323
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    264474 288
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89842 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6274 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

884938 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831384 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM