Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Hit and Run in Florida results

This guy must paid a tidy sum to the widows for them to recommend this light of a sentence.  His family has lots of money and he should not have been let off this easy.  I remember us discussing this before, just could not find the thread.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/fl-ryan-levin-change-plea-20110603,0,1729299.story

Re: Hit and Run in Florida results

Not very bright lads, are they? Abandoning the car suggests there was alcohol involved, as does driving at 2:30 a.m., so maybe they "reasoned" they'd be better off with a hit and run charge than a DUI charge. 

Terrible.

--

"We all love the music. What we hope is that the music loves us." -- Tom Waits

I am not familiar with British law but since they were on the job the families would have been entitled to Workers' Compensations benefits. It would have tide them over until the civil case was resolved. I am fairly confident there would have been a huge insurance policy to cover the damages UNLESS the driver was excluded.

I cannot believe a judge agreed to such a light sentence considering his record.

--

I agree with you Nick, it was not right.  This is the life of the privledged, he knows not what is right, just what can be bought.  He did not come forward to admit his guilt, but instead blamed his buddy, who had to work a plea deal after helping him.  The parents money saved him, yet I doubt that he will have learned anything.  I hope that I am wrong, I hope he has learned plenty and will turn his life around.  It had to be a major payoff to the families, way beyond the insurance settlement.  Sad, so sad...

"spitting out chewing gum" does not suggest a man filled w/ remorse but rather arrogance. This appears to be a callous ivdividual shielded from justice by wealth.
    --

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

I agree with you.  I am willing to bet that this will not be the last time we read about this guy doing something stupid.  10 years doing hard time might change his out look.Smiley

Guys, try to view things differently (this is no excuse for what this guy did): He killed two family fathers with kids. They are gone, they can't provide and protect their families anymore. The wealthy family of the guy who killed them, apparently paid a serious compensation sum to both families and the families accepted the sentence. This compensation money will make sure that the families of the dead will get the possibility to lead a somehow good life and to assure a good education and future for their kids. It sounds horrible but putting this guy away for five or even ten years wouldn't have helped the kids of the two deceased men in any way.

This way, at least the kids have a future and are financially OK, even without their fathers. Again, this is no excuse, what this guy did was horrible but the families of the deceased count most and I think or actually hope that they struck a very very good deal to be able to offer their kids a good future even without their dads. 

Sad story, very very sad story but the families come first. Revenge doesn't feed mouths, as sad this may sound.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

dan996:

I agree with you.  I am willing to bet that this will not be the last time we read about this guy doing something stupid.  10 years doing hard time might change his out look.Smiley

He should have lost his driver's license forever. In Germany, this would certainly have been the outcome and usually you can't take another driver license test for another 10-20 years, depending on the verdict.

Another thing: Racing in the city and especially at night is not only wrong, it is stupid. So many things can go wrong, even if you're not drunk. Keep that in mind next time somebody stands at the stop light next to you, revving like crazy.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

I agree with you on the compensation, however he should still do time as we think his life has been get into trouble and parents bail you and never learn a lesson.  He did lose drivers license for life according to the article, but my assesment is that I believe he will do something stupid again in the future and get caught driving or hurt someone else.  I just don't believe he has learned anything from this.  I do believe in the compensation for the families which they may have gotten anyways from his net worth but would have taken longer to get.  I do not blame the families for taking the money now, just that the time does not fit the crime.

When you read his record its obvious hes a scumbag with deep pockets.

There are a lot of kids left behind who will never enjoy their fathers presence in their lives because of him.

With those circumstances, not only should he and his buddy have gon3 to jail for a long time, but their assets both present and future should have been confiscated and attached for later harvesting.

He needs to pay the compensation, the most important part  in all of this in order for those families to have some kind of a future, but he shouldn't just get away with doing that, he should also serve time, otherwise he will just do it again to another family in some other way.

--

I agree with you, guys but apparently the family is wealthy, not that guy per se. So confiscating his assets should have been...worthless? Yes, money can't compensate the kids for a lost father but what would be the alternative? 

Yes, I'm pretty sure that this nutjob is going to do something stupid again, maybe sooner than people actually expect him to but I'm pretty sure that his pretty moderate punishment was part of the compensation deal.

Life isn't always fair but now it is important that the kids of the killed fathers get their share of "justice", as much as possible.

--

RC:

Life isn't always fair but now it is important that the kids of the killed fathers get their share of "justice", as much as possible.

That was the only good thing about al of this and that is that the guy responsable has a lot of money and was able to compensate the families even if its in exchange for prison sentence. Other cases the guy is a crackhead, a drunk, a criminal, or whatever without any money... a prison sentence only would do little for those fatherless kids.

But if I were the judge I would have been exceptional harsh with the prison sentence (given his history and what he did after the accident) and the compensation would allow to reduce it but not completely eliminate it.

--

I think the compensation was actually some sort of a deal with the DA/judge and the families of the killed men, so not much of a choice here. A long and painful law suite wouldn't have been in the interest of the families of the killed men and their kids.

No real choice here...I'm afraid.  

--

Compensation is good, but that guy should get a LIFETIME ban from ever driving again. It should be a given sentence. sad sad story, but he was made aware of the dangers when taking his drivers tests.. as all of us were.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

In case you guys do not know, he was arrested in his hometown of Chicago for hitting a policeman while they were in pursuit of him.  So the guy has a Porsche and thinks he can out run the police, then hurts one of them.  I am sure that is the reason he left Chicago as he is no longer welcome there.  He is habitual in his wrong doings, that is why he needs to sit for a few years.  It is not going to happen this time, but I hope that I or anyone I know is NOT on the road when he breaks the law and jumps into a car again.  If I see him driving I will report him, he does live down here where I live.

He did get a lifetime ban from driving and he will be under house arrest for 2 years, followed by 10 years of probation. If he does something stupid he goes right back into jail.

"As part of his sentence, McCarthy restricted LeVin from ever driving again and ordered him to serve 1,000 hours of community service."

"LeVin will not be required to wear an electronic monitoring device. He'll be allowed to exercise and attend church and must turn in a detailed weekly schedule to be approved by his probation officer."

He avoided going to jail (for now) but if steps out of line...

Here is an event after the sentence was handed down.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/chibrknews-man-in-fla-hitandrun-to-be-jailed-in-illinois-20110610,0,4888459.story

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690123 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409525 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255872 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235111 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65609 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858274 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774440 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM