Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Turbo S and news

It's been a long time since my last post, busy with work and racing! Smiley

I've put over 2000 km in my new Turbo S, my first Turbo car, it is very impressive!

It's GT silver with Cocoa int and loads of options, expensive for a 911 but cheap supercar performance in a 911 body.

Compared to my ex 599 hgte, the box is less violent but the car is better to drive, better built, and most important, in the real world where torque matters more than HP, more useable. All in all, it's a far better car, noise and looks aside which are subjective.

I have since sold my 599 bc it is redundant with the Turbo, after 2 years and 30000 km, great car but flawed, too big, too heavy.

I am also selling my Scuderia, very disappointed, the GT3RS is a far better trackcar and more fun.

Both cars visible at my friend's Joe www.joemacari.com

And I have a 918 Spyder on order. I have of course kept my CGT, my Carrera S and my RS.

You've guessed it, I have a slight fetish for P cars!Smiley

Race wise, I competed recently in Le Mans Classic in my 910, nothing comes close to racing on the 24h track, it was fantastic. video here:

Re: Turbo S and news

IMG00178-20100729-1350.jpg

1282830523000IMG00175-20100726-1734.jpg

This is the 910, I decorated it with its original style from Daytona 24h back in 1969! Fabulous little car!

910.jpg

And I also just bought this 1965 911 SWB to compete in the upcoming Carrera Panamericana!

It's got a 3,2L engine good abotu 260 hp, car weighs less than 1T! Its is very entertaining to drive!!! And its previous german owner did the Carrera with it in 06 so it's ready for the gruelling race!

911.jpg

910 is sweet

racerx:

910 is sweet

what he said Smiley    you're racking up an impressive collection of porsches Smiley

Enmanuel:
    racerx:

910 is sweet

what he said Smiley    you're racking up an impressive collection of porsches Smiley

Against my own will!Smiley

I love Ferraris and other brands but I prefer driving my cars than just looking at them, what can I say!Smiley

Seriously speaking, 599 was a fabulous car, but a GT, not a sports car, GTO is most probably better but with the same flaws, size and weight.

458 seems very impressive but I find the front very ugly with those weird plastic moustachesSmiley

And Ferraris in general all have lifeless steerings, especially compared to Porsches. I eagerly await the 12C, 991 and 918.

Quick question on PDK:

Has anyone ever noticed a slight noise in auto mode with shifting up? Like a high pitched noise, mostly when box is cold. Difficult to describe but it's not loud, you wouldn't hear it with the radio on or windows down.

It's a bit odd.

Futch:
    I love Ferraris and other brands but I prefer driving my cars than just looking at them

Envy is not a familiar feeling for me but in your case I have to make an exception SmileySmiley Your superb collection is exactly what I would have in my garage if the garage would be big enough Smiley And more important: you use these jewels for what they are made for - love the inboard from the 910 Smiley And I bet the SWB is a blast to drive in any tight corners Smiley

May I ask what has been the reason for your disappointment with the Scuderia ?

I wish you all the best for the Panamericana Smiley And of course we all expect you to enter into a serious competition with your fellow moderator Easy-Rider thereafter.....Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

What a fantastic stable of cars! The Turbo S is impressive in every department and the GT-silver is one of my favourite colours. Very nice and congrats on your latest addition!

--

Current: 997.2 C2S Meteorgrey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, Nav, Bose, etc.

Sold: 997C2S Black/Black - PSE, Adaptives, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, Nav, BOSE, etc.

Porsche-Jeck:

The GT3Smiley

Seriously, poor interior, the car is too loud, unecessarily loud frankly, steering is lifeless, too light, the seats are too hard. Basically you don't feel "connected" to the car the way you connect with the GT3.

The engine is amazing as is the gearbox, and the car "feels" light and that's great.

The GT3 may not be as fast but I certainly find it more satisfying to drive, and ultimately, more entertaining.

turbo s is really as good as it gets. currently the best offering in the automotive world.

were i living in a country without our high import tax and a 'normal' car market i would have chosen it over the sls.

however, with the 991 around the corner it did make more sense to go with the sls.

just as i decided for the X6 over the cayenne facelift.

futch....great car collection

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Thanks.

I've been very lucky to drive most sports cars available today.

The Turbo S is most probably the most complete sports car/ GT car today.

It's a great choice, except for trackdays, it is too heavy in the corners.

My opinion excludes looks and noise as these are too subjectives.

Futch ! 1282839743137bow (1).gif

Futch:

And I have a 918 Spyder on order. I have of course kept my CGT, my Carrera S and my RS.

Race wise, I competed recently in Le Mans Classic in my 910, nothing comes close to racing on the 24h track, it was fantastic. video here:

Wow -- wonderful collection and experience. Congrats on your motorsports (and otherwise) good fortune. That you speak so highly of the Turbo S tells me what a great car it is.

"Competed," as in actually drove in the race? How many hours did you drive, night or day, & was it hard to keep your focus? Physically and/or mentally exhausting?

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic "Stage 2" ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

Futch:
    Porsche-Jeck:

The GT3Smiley

SmileySmileySmiley

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

cannga:
    Futch:

Wow -- wonderful collection and experience. Congrats on your motorsports (and otherwise) good fortune. That you speak so highly of the Turbo S tells me what a great car it is.

"Competed," as in actually drove in the race? How many hours did you drive, night or day, & was it hard to keep your focus? Physically and/or mentally exhausting?

Le Mans Classic is not like the real 24h race. But you do get to race on the 24h track, which is for me, by far, the most exciting track I've ever driven on, just the names of the curves are legendary, the Dunlop curve, Indianapolis, the Porsche Curves (quite technical actually!), Playstation and Michelin chicane and of course the mythical Mulsanne straight.

To start with, you don't race for 24h, you race three sessions of 45 minutes each over 24h, which is already quite tiring if you are not a pro.

Especially this year, there was a heatwave, 36 degrees C, so pretty tough with the suit, underwear and helmet on.

The night time session is surreal, especially when you get overtaken by Richard Atwood in a 917 followed by a Ferrari 512S in the Mulsanne straight, the stuff of legend.Smiley

I started 49th on the grid and finished 12th with more powerful cars ahead of me like the 917, the Lola T70 and other Chevrons.

It is a fantastic event and I highly recommend it to anyone, racing or just visiting.

Next one is in 2012.

Futch,

What can I say? Every time you post, you seem to have acquired one of my dream cars! :-)
    Absolutely fantastic to read about your stable and the races. I can only wish you posted some more! :-D

-Joost-

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Futch, I'm just speechless  Your collection of Porsche cars is like a dream garage for me  Many congrats on the latest additions - GT Silver and Cocoa for your 997.2 TTS - what a great colour combo!

The fact that you are using them in the way they were built to be used is even more wonderful  No garage queens for you!  

How about some more photos of the whole collection?

I also love the way you have kept your -20mm 997.1 C2S - I agree - it's worth keeping

Once again, many congrats - and wishing you many happy miles in all of these great cars

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

Futch, that is amazing! You are a true Porsche fanatic. I LOVE your classic race cars, and i LOVE that you RACE them!! I can only imagine the feelings of your experiences on the track. Thanks for posting the video. I'd also like to see your collection together.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Futch:

The night time session is surreal, especially when you get overtaken by Richard Atwood in a 917 followed by a Ferrari 512S in the Mulsanne straight,

OK, now this is one ionstance were being overtaken would give me a smile that would last for days Smiley Amazing. Congrats Fancho! Smiley

--

Good to see you Smiley.

Let me guess Smiley  You love Porsche Smiley.  Dude, I love your selection of cars.

--
    Happy Driving

Great selection, Futch, really great.

Especially I like your choice of the Turbo S.

And it's very interesting to see that you dumped two cars, that are arguably two of Ferrari's best in favour of the Porsche opponent. But I do understand you very well... Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Futch:

And Ferraris in general all have lifeless steerings, especially compared to Porsches. I eagerly await the 12C, 991 and 918.

That plus they don't provide this "heavy" feeling - they feel more like sitting on the road as opposed to being glued to it like the Porsches Smiley

P.S.: Fully agree with your view on the 599GTB. The turbo/GT Porsches are the far better cars

Lucky guy.More pics please.

With a TurboS and a GT3RS...Can i ask why you kept the Carrera S, only easy_rider seems to know the secret

What happend with the 910 windshield we can see a big crack. Did someone get carried away on the track

congratulations for enjoying life and doing what you like most... that's a beautiful collection you got, and it is great you drive 'em all!

Futch,you have all the cars that a Porschephile dream to have!

Really congrats!

--
    997 TT, what a car/che'mmmmmaghena!!!

Leblanc:

Lucky guy.More pics please.

With a TurboS and a GT3RS...Can i ask why you kept the Carrera S, only easy_rider seems to know the secret

What happend with the 910 windshield we can see a big crack. Did someone get carried away on the track

Easy had a ride in my 911 and he has almost the same i think, sport suspension, 2WD and manual box.

I keep it because I'm very attached to it, 70000 km in almost 5 years now, it really is a fantastic car and my cars are not all in the same place which is why a group picture will be difficult.

But it's also a very fun car, for mountain driving for example, it's my favorite, the RS is too low, too trackday oriented, the Turbo is fantastic but the S is purer, the manual box is a joy to use. Turbo is the best for everyday.

I only noticed the crack on the 910 windshield when watching the video! It must be emplified by the lens. The old lady is 43 years old so she's got a few cracks here and there! Smiley

The -20mm 997.1 C2S (that Futch, Carlos from Spain and I all have - and which RC and Lukas used to have) is IMvHO kind of a collector's item. It's the last conventionally sprung sports suspension in the Carrera range. It also comes with rear LSD. From the 997.2 onwards, the sports suspension is all PASM based.

It rides like a go kart. The handling is so agile, steering precision is razor sharp and steering feel communicates everything so well. You literally feel every aspect of the road surface through your finger tips. All 3 of us have manual transmission (for driving pleasure and interaction) and sport chrono for the engine throttle mapping. Carlos and I have PSE whereas Futch has the X51 Powerkit (that includes PSE) and also PCCBs.

I have written at length about it before so I won't repeat it again here. But, in summary, it's a real gem. It really is. I can afford to replace it with more expensive cars, but I just can't bring myself to part with it. It's great in the twisties and on mountain roads. I just love on/off ramps on motorways. I still love this car as much as the day I first collected it from Zuffenhausen. It just needs a bit of extra care (i.e. using both hands) at high speed on motorways since the steering is more sensitive.

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806289 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449451 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267023 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90434 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7177 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

887150 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835896 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM