Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Jaguar XKR MY11

The DB9 / DBS for those of us who don't have 7 figures plus in our bank accounts.

--

...the only thing stopping you in all likelihood, is you!

Very good car, liked it from the very beginning.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

very classy and sporty!

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

The Jaguar XK is one of the cars many like (or say they like) but very few actually buy. It's like the girl everybody falls in love with but no one marries.

Jaguar production and sales  figures are disappointing given the heritage of the marque and negligible compared to German brands (even to Porsche).

Moreover, a large % of the unimpressive volume sales is in the UK. The ROW just doesn't like or trust Jaguar

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

reginos:

The Jaguar XK is one of the cars many like (or say they like) but very few actually buy. It's like the girl everybody falls in love with but no one marries.

Disagree here. XKR is a GT, not a sportscar. It's a competitor to cars like the 6series from BMW or Maserati GranTurismo for example. But there are more people interested in cars like the 911, 458 or Gallardo, at least here at Rennteam. So it's logical that many like the car, because it's good, but not so many would actually buy it. Smiley

--

Rossi:
    reginos:

Disagree here. XKR is a GT, not a sportscar. It's a competitor to cars like the 6series from BMW or Maserati GranTurismo for example. But there are more people interested in cars like the 911, 458 or Gallardo, at least here at Rennteam. So it's logical that many like the car, because it's good, but not so many would actually buy it. Smiley

I wasn't referring to RT in particular. Jaguar's sales record outside the UK is disappointing.

In the GT class, how many more 6 series or even 2-seater SL do you see around Europe compared to XK?

--

reginos:

In the GT class, how many more 6 series or even 2-seater SL do you see around Europe compared to XK?

Numbers of the 6series would indeed be interesting. I don't think they sell too well. Does anybody know the numbers?

And I doubt Maserati sells more GranTurismo than Jaguar does with the XK(R). Smiley

--

IMHO MY11 Jaguar XKR Coupe(specially with Speed or Speed and Black packages) is better car overall then BMW 6 series, Maserati Granturismo or even Aston Martin DB9.

It is real Gentleman's express IMHO.

I would buy one...but only a used one.  Have you seen the depreciation on those things??????

Rossi

Disagree here. XKR is a GT, not a sportscar. It's a competitor to cars like the 6series from BMW or Maserati GranTurismo for example. But there are more people interested in cars like the 911, 458 or Gallardo, at least here at Rennteam. So it's logical that many like the car, because it's good, but not so many would actually buy it. 

WHY?

I wonder why, really, is it engine placement preference or some "I'm a racer fantasy".  (2nd half  *)

racerx:
    Rossi

Disagree here. XKR is a GT, not a sportscar. It's a competitor to cars like the 6series from BMW or Maserati GranTurismo for example. But there are more people interested in cars like the 911, 458 or Gallardo, at least here at Rennteam. So it's logical that many like the car, because it's good, but not so many would actually buy it. 

WHY?

I wonder why, really, is it engine placement preference or some "I'm a racer fantasy".  (2nd half  *)

I think engine placement is an important point. With the engine behind you, the car feels a lot more special and sportier IMO. Or let me put it this way: if you are interested in a sports car and want to spend around 100k to 150k, there are simply more thrilling alternatives to a XKR. If you want to spend more than 200k, there are not as many midengined cars left, but you have the choice of quite some fascinating front-engined cars like the 599 for example.

--

Cayman and Elise/Exige are under 100K and mid engine.

The Corvette is also a front mid engine layout but I believe you guys talk about the rear mid engine layout so we count it out.

BTW: the MX-5/Miata is also front mid engine layout (the engine is placed behind the front axle) As the 599 and California Smiley

--

There is no try. Just do.

I was trying to get at why you and others are more "interested" in the cars you named all of which are rear engined. (and I agree that most on these boards fall into that category)

Because in the real world on real roads, a good front engined GT is just as exciting and capable if not more exciting than any rear engine "sportscar". Just watch Tiff drive the V12 Vantage for instance. The only drivers who could tell any difference would be true race drivers on a closed circuit.

I think a lot of people fool themselves into believing things, maybe the new 928 if done right will change some minds.

Rossi:
    reginos:

Numbers of the 6series would indeed be interesting. I don't think they sell too well. Does anybody know the numbers?

And I doubt Maserati sells more GranTurismo than Jaguar does with the XK(R). Smiley

Outside Europe is where jaguar looses more ground compared to its competitors. true the car is good but sales reps don't stand behind their products whereas BMW, Maser, Aston, etc . all have great costumer service, jag dealers are constantly making excuses and taking forever to fix things on cars. therefore they've made up an image of unreliability that most people with enough money to buy such a car don't care for. 

KresoF1:

IMHO MY11 Jaguar XKR Coupe(specially with Speed or Speed and Black packages) is better car overall then BMW 6 series, Maserati Granturismo or even Aston Martin DB9.

Judging by sales not too many "gentlemen" left in the world. Smiley

If Porsche manage to sell around 20.000 911 in a year I would expect the XK to sell at least twice as many given its more mainstream appeal and its easier dynamics.It's also more suitable for affluent women.

So Jaguar must be doing something wrong Smiley

--

"Judging by sales not too many "gentlemen" left in the world." Smiley Good point man!

--

There is no try. Just do.

reginos:
    KresoF1:

Judging by sales not too many "gentlemen" left in the world. Smiley

If Porsche manage to sell around 20.000 911 in a year I would expect the XK to sell at least twice as many given its more mainstream appeal and its easier dynamics.It's also more suitable for affluent women.

So Jaguar must be doing something wrong Smiley

Problem is current image status of Jaguar as a brand.

One of my friends bought new 997.2CS PDK just because it is Porsche. Actually, he did not needed sportscar-he is using 997.2 as daily driver.

Few days ago he got the chance to test drive XKR MY10 and in total honesty he said to me that XKR is for his needs better car overall. Not so demanding to drive, with better comfort and as fast in straight line(in fact 100km/h till 200km/h XKR is faster, a lot faster).

So, point it that far too many people are using sportscar a la 997.2 as GT(which in all true it is not). Since most of this people wont admit that they are not the right material for true sportscar...

Similarly, the XF range is supposed to be better in crucial areas than comparable German cars especially the diesel and the R, but very few sales outside the UK. The default choice in the class is again BMW, Mercedes and some Audi.

You can easily spoil your reputation (like Jaguar did) but very difficult to regain.

--

they have only ever had 1 reputation - bad electrics

It is weird, they have the best TV ad's of any car manf. and the cars are nice

But their market seems to be restricted to old people and women.

And I think the fact they are owned by Tata is a negative to most people!

racerx:

Beat me to it, its got that retiree image still..I feel Jag are desperate to shift this....The oll boy in the Jag 20yr back was a very common sight and still is..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

throt:
    racerx:

Beat me to it, its got that retiree image still..I feel Jag are desperate to shift this....The oll boy in the Jag 20yr back was a very common sight and still is..

+1 Smiley

--

KresoF1:

I agree that the XK series should be considered, but when I was  GT-shopping recently, the reasons I preferred the Audi S5 were:

- slushbox auto only vs 6MT option on S5
    - Jag quality history vs Audi
    - for my location, AWD preferred over RWD
    - $20,000 more for base XK and $30,000 more for XKR compared to S5

--

2010 Audi S5,  2002 M Coupe

Jags are more American market oriented traditionally and as of the last year are strongly marketed/promoted in California for example and it shows in the numbers,btw,i have seen more 6 series(convert) in LA than anywhere in Europe and the same goes for the XK and XF 

XF is nice looking and finally broke the image I have always had of Jag sedans

old empty nesters in their Vanden Plas

Jaguar Ad 1983.jpg

racerx:

they have only ever had 1 reputation - bad electrics

About that - I've been wondering about the reliability of the electrically opening/closing AC vents on the XF... but I do love that feature. 

racerx:

XF is nice looking and finally broke the image I have always had of Jag sedans

old empty nesters in their Vanden Plas

Jaguar Ad 1983.jpg

Smiley

Have any of you guys actually parked your hoochie's on those very seat's, it's not a car seat, there more like a sofa, so comfy.....Smiley..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

that line was the best looking IMo.

Seriously considering getting one. So cheap, now!  Only I have to look into how dependable are they... :-)

--
    Cash, gas or ass... no one rides for free!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779374 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442277 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263128 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261415 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85643 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5820 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881109 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817636 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM