Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Boxster Spyder: Official Press Release...

Eh, this aging Boxster's name must be Demi Moore ...but in her thirties! Smiley No talk of toupee (or mustache, actually) just yet!  

--
    2008 Boxster S

Re: Porsche Boxster Spyder: Official Press Release...

4trac:

So... an aging Boxster S goes to the gym to get lighter, but at middle age still has lost his hair... thus the ill-fitting toupee just to make it feel better... did I miss anything?  Smiley

Sounds like a pretty good description of me.....Smiley

--
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue (Zuffenhausen collection)  BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

Re: Official - Porsche Boxster Spyder

Gauss:

I think what dreamcar meant was a weight-reduced Cayman S with the right motorsport options... not a roofless cayman.

Ahh, OK. Sorry Dreamcar! ;-)
    We can only guess what the marketing strategy behnd this model is. However, I find it a better option than they offered with the first boxster:

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

It has been pointed out that the German Porsche site has the Boxster Spyder up on its configurator.    I translated options using Google translator, which was very helpful and again am pleased to see that a modestly equipped Spyder is a great bargain as compared to a comparably equipped Boxster S, and with an additional 10 hp.  Again, it is starting to look better to me, but I still prefer the standard roof line.

vincesf

Something along these lines would be nice:

- PDK

- Sport Chrono Package Plus

- Steering wheel with paddles

- PCM with navigation

Page-02.jpegPage-03.jpeg

--

987 Boxster S, Arctic Silver with 'Martini Racing' Livery, H&R Monotube Coil-Overs, H&R Anti Roll Bars, Strut Brace, FVD ECU, BMC Air Filter, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, Recaro Racing Shells, PSE.

997 Carrera 4S, Guards Red, Bilstein PSS10 Damptronic, H&R Anti Roll Bars, IPD Plenum, Dension Gateway 500, PSE.

vincesf:

It has been pointed out that the German Porsche site has the Boxster Spyder up on its configurator.  

vincesf

It's on the UK configurator as well - but no option for steering wheel mit PDK paddles, sadly. Smiley

--
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue (Zuffenhausen collection)  BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

dreamcar:
    vincesf:

It has been pointed out that the German Porsche site has the Boxster Spyder up on its configurator.  

vincesf

It's on the UK configurator as well - but no option for steering wheel mit PDK paddles, sadly. Smiley

It's available, option 840 "3-Speichen-Sportlenkrad mit Schaltpaddles" (from german configurator)

detail_840_987720.jpg

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

reginos:
    dreamcar:
    vincesf:

vincesf

It's available, option 840 "3-Speichen-Sportlenkrad mit Schaltpaddles" (from german configurator)

Au contraire - it's NOT on the UK configurator, strangely - but maybe it's just an oversight Smiley

--

I do like that steering wheel... Might even be pdk tempted with that wheel... Very maybe! Call me a bit behind the times (and too lazy to look) but is 20mm sports + LSD an option on Boxster 987.2 now?

wtsnet:
    I do like that steering wheel... Might even be pdk tempted with that wheel... Very maybe! Call me a bit behind the times (and too lazy to look) but is 20mm sports + LSD an option on Boxster 987.2 now?

Me too - so much better than those silly push-me-pull-me tiptronic style buttons.

..and no, -20mm PASM is not an option on normal 987, although LSD is. Not sure I'd want it though, with it's harder ride and the front spoiler even more prone to ground on ramps and sleeping policemen.

For me though, if I was to do it all again I'd have a Cayman S PDK or maybe wait and see if the Cayman RS appears as I really don't like that tarted up look, as you may have gathered by my earlier comments. Smiley

--

The car is a great idea and I suppose having the modified rear and lowered screen goes some way to justify the higher cost, but the lack of a proper soft top cover will limit it sales to certain parts of the world. 

Configurator for the Boxster Spyder is up  and running on the U.S.A. site.   I can not find anyway to delete the Porsche graphics along the side of the car.   You can of course do a model designation delete on the rear-deck, but I would prefer the car without the graphics.   Paddles are definitely included as an option which is good news.   

vincesf

All this type of graphics are decals (not painted of course) and easily removable with the help of a hairdryer.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

interesting new info

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...oxster/245373/

Porsche Boxster Spyder - new details

Porsche has released more information on its new range-topping Boxster, the Spyder, ahead of the car’s official unveiling at the Los Angeles motor show this week.

The new details confirm that the car is a far cry from the marketing-spun money-maker some feared it would be, but rather a fully redesigned and re-engineered sub-£50k performance special.

The Boxster Spyder will indeed run the same 315bhp 3.4-litre engine as the Cayman S. It’s a significantly different motor to the 305bhp unit in a Boxster S, however: it revs all the way to 7500rpm, and features a different crankcase, different engine mounts, a different oil pump, different intake manifolds and a more sophisticated direct fuel injection system.

Weighing just 1275kg unladen, the Boxster Spyder will become the lightest new car that Porsche makes, and the fastest of its current crop of two-seaters; equipped with a seven-speed PDK gearbox and a Sport Chrono Plus package, it’ll crack 62mph in just 4.8sec. With it’s further overdriven seventh gear, the PDK car is also more economical than the manual.

The car’s 80kg weight saving relative to a standard Boxster S has been made via the fitment of aluminium doors (15kg), an aluminium rear deck (3kg), lighter bucket seats (12kg), and via a lighter roof that weighs only 6kg all in. The car also comes without air conditioning and without a CD-radio as standard.

Contributing to a more focussed dynamic character for the car is a chassis with a 20mm lower ride height, stiffer springs and anti-roll bars, and higher rate fixed-rate dampers. The new dampers also have an additional rebound stop spring to reduce body roll still further.

The Boxster Spyder has wider tracks than standard – 4mm at the front and 8mm out back – and a centre of gravity 25mm lower than that of a Boxster S. Weighing less than 10kg a corner, its alloy wheels are the lightest that Porsche currently offers on any of its road cars, and they come with hi-tech compound tyres that can be run at lower pressures than is normal for the size, to the benefit of rolling refinement.

The new car also comes with a different steering ‘box to a standard Boxster S – it’s slower geared around the straight-ahead and quicker off-centre – as well as 318mm drilled and vented front brakes and a limited-slip differential as standard.

And the bad news? You can’t drive it at more than 124mph with that canopy-like roof attached, and roof on or off, Porsche doesn’t recommend that you take it to an automated drive-through car wash.

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

Wow, the spec info is pretty interesting - quite some changes.  I especially like the idea of the light wheels (and they look nice).  I want one - but with a normal, useable roof 

--
    2007 987S, KW v3 1964 Type 1

I have to say I love it, absolutely love this car !!!!

My options would be :

-PDK

-Sport Chrono Plus

-A/C

-Sport Exhaust

-CD System

-And Xenon if it comes as an option.

Nothing less, nothing more !!!

We where considering this car for the near future (as we are thinking in selling our 2006 bmw 320d, and getting another sportscars in the family ).....

But from what I have just read about the roof, this isnt a smart move from porsche, seems this car will only sell in sunny places. Its just not very intelligent to design a roof with those specifications, may be if they would have add another 30kg to the roof design, this car would have become a SUPERB PRODUCT

Oh well, I'm sure once we spot this baby in the streets, we'll get excited but fustrated at the same time !!!!.......too bad !.

--

Ok, judging from last pic, it seems the cabin is totally closed when the roof is on right ??.....look at second unit that attaches into the rear part, just besides the seats, that seems to really close the interior cabin, from the rear and when putting the windows up......

--

other pics here

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/fahrbericht-porsche-boxster-spyder_1016406.html

--

Look at this....

Kai1982:

Look at this....

I'm speechless !!!!!!! , I think this is one of the best looking porsche's I've seen. It doesnt matter if its not a 911, in real terms is a Cayman S with some cosmetics and that rear design, but its just the mixture of all those things, including the 997.2 GT3 RS door handles, that makes this car so special !!! Smiley

And how it sounds !!! Smiley, wonder if that is with or without Sport exhaust. Really great ! Smiley

On the other hand, the roof seems to be completely sealed, so that is good news indeed, I even like the idea of the process of putting the roof, it makes the experience even better (at least for me Smiley)....seems like if you where going to sail with a boat or something, quite special !!!! Smiley......

Will see what happens in the months !!! SmileySmileySmiley, can't wait to see one !!!!

THANKS FOR THE VIDEO !!!!!!! SmileySmiley

--

The perfect Sunday/mid-week Porsche for those of us who drive these  SF Bay Area/Monterey Bay area roads all the time , where you may need the heater , but never A/C !

I'll take mine in Aqua Blue , 6 speed ,sports exhaust , PCCB s ,Lithium Battery ,no A/C, no radio , and leave the top in the garage for the lowest weight possible. Plus , I weigh 140 lbs so compared to you 200-220 lb fat guys ....

Hey Alex18 - I have had this "romantic experience" of putting up a manual roof before... my very first sports car - a well used 1969 MGB.   And I can assure you that by the time you see the rain coming, and get the parts out of the storage to put up manually... you and the interior will be completely wet!! Smiley

But to some of  other peoples' comments about a perfect roadster except for the romantic roof... surely some enterprising company will design a carbon fibre fixed hardtop that works with this styling?  This would easily  extend the use of this car into wetter seasons or non-Mediterranean locations? 

--

Present: 2005 STi,  2002 M Coupe

Future: 2010 Cayman S - pending order;  2010 Audi S5 - on order

4trac:

Hey Alex18 - I have had this "romantic experience" of putting up a manual roof before... my very first sports car - a well used 1969 MGB.   And I can assure you that by the time you see the rain coming, and get the parts out of the storage to put up manually... you and the interior will be completely wet!! Smiley

But to some of  other peoples' comments about a perfect roadster except for the romantic roof... surely some enterprising company will design a carbon fibre fixed hardtop that works with this styling?  This would easily  extend the use of this car into wetter seasons or non-Mediterranean locations? 

There are several aftermarket hard-top for murcielago-lp640 roadster,so I think porsche tuner will provide us a similar useful product,they know what people ask for Smiley

--

i found this example

inspiration from c gt gemballa (airscoop)

pu_RA-c7d76186bd37a52c092f7d87c09f7754.jpg

--

It looks ok, it looks photoshopped (obviously), but the idea is correct.... I like it !!!

@4trac, I completely picture the scene, like you say if there is inmediate rain, say bye bye to the alcantara backet seats !!! , no matter how quick you are in putting the roof, lol ......but, this is another part of the experience, and even more in a car like this !!...Said that, this car looks fantastic, good performance figueres, GREAT GREAT SOUND, stock backet seats, light-weight.....and for a ¨ reasonable ¨ price (this is the key of it) ....... It really reminds me to a 997.2 GT3, but only 60.000€ less !!!! (ok the gt3 is a beast )

I can't wait to see one in real !!!!, and cant wait to listen to one with sport exhaust !!!.....

Definately we are thinking in ordering one for the next months !!!

--

I guess the spyder in the video has the PSE

--

--

Amazing the new PCM system its so new we can't see how it works, lol

andrea, lets hope that is not PSE equipped, I would love to have even louder sound than it has lol ( I am really impressed with the sound in the video of the Sunday morning drive, it is just perfect and very gt3'ish).....may be those little modifications the engine has are the main reason why it sounds so good and with so much character ????...too bad we can't see in the video the PSE button in the dash board.

--

Hope this pics are not a repost !!!! Love it ! 2010porscheboxsterspyderlive000.jpg2010porscheboxsterspyderlive001.jpg2010porscheboxsterspyderlive002.jpg2010porscheboxsterspyderlive006.jpg2010porscheboxsterspyderlive007.jpg2010porscheboxsterspyderlive008.jpg2010porscheboxsterspyderlive009.jpg2010porscheboxsterspyderlive011.jpg2010porscheboxsterspyderlive012.jpg2010porscheboxsterspyderlive013.jpg2010porscheboxsterspyderlive014.jpg2010porscheboxsterspyderlive015.jpg2010porscheboxsterspyderlive016.jpg2010porscheboxsterspyderlive017.jpg2010porscheboxsterspyderlive019.jpg

--

Guys.Please don't take this badly, but this car does nothing for me!

I'm sure that it is fantastic fun to drive and has wonderful performance, but from an aesthetic point of view, it leaves me ice cold.

So sorry.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781593 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442755 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263443 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261819 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85927 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5969 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881587 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819413 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM