Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Any Mika Hakkinen fans here?

I had never followed F1 until 1998 when in between the 24 hours of Le Mans I watched qualifying for what I think was the Canadian GP. Up till this point I had never seen cars that could corner this fast, or brake so late. I was simply amazed. It just so happened that the first car I saw was the Flying Finn. We know that the McLarens were the dominant car this year if not perhaps the following year but I loved watching Mika from that day on.

Before this turns into a Schumacher vs. Hakkinen post know that this is not my intent. While I can definitely appreciate Schumi for his talent, I never liked his win at all costs mentality. Mika had class and balls of steel. Their battles were great to watch and I was lucky enough to be at Indy for his last win in 2001. His last season in F1 wasn't the best, nor was his DTM effort but I still miss seing him race.

Remember SPA 2000?

GqwzjuZGB1.jpg

17brr1.jpg

wk1999_hakkinen copy.jpg

mika copy.jpg

mika-hakkinen-in-mclaren.jpg

Smiley

Re: Any Mika Hakkinen fans here?

Mika for sure is a very good driver, but I miss these cars even more. (I never thought I'ld say that).

Hakkinen was an excellent driver with great mentality, I´d say it comes with significance if Schumacher sees him as his greatest rival in Formula 1. They knew each other since they were racing karts as little kids, so they do know each other´s strenghts and weaknesses.

His sheer speed in DTM was excellent, I´d say his performance there was quite underrated (or misleading). For someone who has spent most time in single seaters, he adapted very quickly. Most other opponents spent their entire carreer in closed-roof cars (Schneider, Ekström etc.).

So yes, one can say I am a fan of Hakkinen. In fact, he was very popular in Germany despite Schumachers success back then.

Eunice:

Mika for sure is a very good driver, but I miss these cars even more. (I never thought I'ld say that).

What cars do you miss Eunice? The V10s, or the West McLarens?

Hakkinen.jpg

Ferdie:

Hakkinen was an excellent driver with great mentality, I´d say it comes with significance if Schumacher sees him as his greatest rival in Formula 1. They knew each other since they were racing karts as little kids, so they do know each other´s strenghts and weaknesses.

His sheer speed in DTM was excellent, I´d say his performance there was quite underrated (or misleading). For someone who has spent most time in single seaters, he adapted very quickly. Most other opponents spent their entire carreer in closed-roof cars (Schneider, Ekström etc.).

So yes, one can say I am a fan of Hakkinen. In fact, he was very popular in Germany despite Schumachers success back then.

I wasn't expecting such a positive response. I for one loved his no nonsense approach. You ask him a question, he gives you a precise answer. Schumacher always viewed him as his biggest threat and there was mutual respect between the two. I can remember when one was out during qualifying, the other would be watching the monitor like a hawk.

You make a good point about his speed being underrated in DTM. I wasn't able to catch much of the racing being that there really isn't coverage in the states. It is often the case that when a driver goes from a single seater to something else they don't do very well. Mika even had a Porsche Super Cup victory early on.

I wasn't aware that there were a lot of German Hakkinen fans during this time. The few Germans that I spoke to here were Schumi fans. Thank you for your insights!

Hakkinen was a very good driver in F1 with 2 titles to his credit. And he drove for my favourite team.

However, if we consider everything (number of titles, time span of success, personality etc) IMO he is behind: Lauda, Prost and Piquet.

Of course, no need to mention MIchael Schumacher because he is the all time #1.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

I didn't have the pleasure of watching Lauda, Prost or Piquet. I'm rather new to F1 with my real introduction coming in 1998. The first driver/car I saw that impressed me was Hakkinen. The Ferraris were my enemies because I had always rooted for Porsche. This is what happens when your father introduces you to Porsches at an early age.

917962:

This is what happens when your father introduces you to Porsches at an early age.

Very correct upbringing Smiley Smiley

--

reginos:
    917962:

This is what happens when your father introduces you to Porsches at an early age.

Very correct upbringing Smiley Smiley

When he sold the first one I cried until he showed me what replaced it. A Carrera!

917962:

I wasn't aware that there were a lot of German Hakkinen fans during this time. The few Germans that I spoke to here were Schumi fans. Thank you for your insights!

You´re welcome! Smiley

Those were two ads that were aired in Germany:

Thanks Ferdie!

I'm afraid much of the first one was lost on me since my German is non-existent. The second one was great.   Danke vielmals!       Smiley

Bitte sehr! In Youtube´s information box is the translation:

Mika: Can I help?
    woman: Thank you
    Mika: no problem
    woman: quite a sporty car
    Mika: It's a Diesel
    woman: Yeah sure. And you are a formula1 driver.
    Mika: Exactly

Smiley  Now it makes perfect sense.

I enjoyed this one

And not forget Mika on Top Gear:

That is one of my all time favorites Eunice. You never mentioned what it was that you missed about the cars.

917962:

That is one of my all time favorites Eunice. You never mentioned what it was that you missed about the cars.

It's hard to grasp, it's the looks, the width, the speed the V10s, the new cars look more like toys (on TV at least).

there were also some mercedes commercials  with his ex-wife Erja

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

A detail about Hakkinen I've just found out from Wikipedia. Pity!

On May 18 2008, his newly completed mansion in France burned down after the light in one of his trophy cabinets made a short circuit. Nobody was injured in the conflagration. However his pet tortoise perished in the fire, along with his collection of F1 trophies.

--

reginos:

On May 18 2008, his newly completed mansion in France burned down after the light in one of his trophy cabinets made a short circuit. Nobody was injured in the conflagration. However his pet tortoise perished in the fire, along with his collection of F1 trophies.

Really a pity. But there is some irony hidden in there too.

Eunice:
    reginos:

Really a pity. But there is some irony hidden in there too.

Self-destructionSmiley

--

reginos:

Self-destructionSmiley

Of his F1 trophies, yes.

Eunice:
    917962:

It's hard to grasp, it's the looks, the width, the speed the V10s, the new cars look more like toys (on TV at least).

I'm with you Eunice!

The new generation of cars have never quite touched me like the V10s did.  

That James May episode is simply brilliant. Thanks for sharing 

And I agree that the former F1 cars looked a whole lot better.

Bond... Mika Bond!

boss1.jpg

BBC Radio 2 Breakfast Show Sporting Challenge: "Motor Racing with Mika Hakkinen..."

BBC-Radio-2_Chris-Evans_Sporting-Challenge

Smiley SmileySmiley

Sorry! I like cars...not guys.

1275033416838icon107.gif

You're a funny man spydie! Would you feel differently if you knew that he did a race in Supercup and won?

Boxster, you find all the good stuff. Thanks!  

I have to get back to serenading Mika.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778335 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442093 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262976 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261254 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85504 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5718 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880925 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816635 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM