Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: News from the 'Ring - report & pics

if it's the same like here in Luxembourg, then you get full coverage on the Nürburgring North Loop (as it is considered as a one-way toll road and not a circuit) but no coverage on a real circuit. You may however "ask" the insurance company to cover you for a special track day. Although it's clearly written in the General Terms that timed races and circuit use are excluded from insurance coverage, they usually say yes when you inform them in advance. And be sure to get that "yes" in a Fax document or Email 

--

Had also a long talk with the chap from my insurance. He was really ferm on his saying. No cover insurance on track at any cost. He even mentionned that no other insurance do. Well anyway i think that thoses insurance thing really stink. Why having a Da.. expensive insurance if you can't use it for some pleasur on a track.

Not for a race, i agree but just for pleasure. I really think that the insurances policy is going in the shoes.

--

Cayenne Turbo - Mini Cooper S - 997 GT3

It does exist, I have it. Sent details via mp to your bro. Depending on damage, you might still be under the deductible limit.
    --

997 GT3 - 550M - 355 GTS F1 - Prius - S4

zeshark:

PS Greetings to Anne, I am the guy with "the other" yellow GT3 ... I followed you for a lap on Wed morning, you're clean & fast Smiley

Thanks zeshark! I remember "the other" yellow GT3, they tend to stick out in the crowd. Smiley

Greetings to you too! Smiley

I could not help myself and had to fool a little last time I was there:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3157129&l=132ce4eb9d&id=692352002

I forgot my camera this time, but here are some photos from photographers:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=123212&id=692352002&l=57e5ca6500

--

Anne Smile 
    '09 997 Carrera S, GT Silver 
    x '08 Porsche Cayman S Design Edition 1

Anne:

Hahaha , next time I see Sabine I will recommend this sticker to her Smiley Great shots Smiley

@ Cram: by chance I saw your "opponent's" damaged GT3 last Saturday (I needed some new front tires ad hoc......hence I had to find a nearby shop with some MPSC available and there I spotted the car).

40k Euro repair costs Smiley I hope it's not that bad on your car Smiley I'd kill the bastard Smiley

Needless to say that the kind of damage at the grey GT3 fully supports your view that it was his fault.

I was quite lucky yesterday: 270° spin without any crumbled metal.....Smiley

On a lighter note: funny shot from yesterday Smiley

würg.jpg

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Porsche-Jeck:

Hahaha , next time I see Sabine I will recommend this sticker to her Smiley Great shots Smiley

40k Euro repair costs Smiley I hope it's not that bad on your car Smiley I'd kill the bastard Smiley

Needless to say that the kind of damage at the grey GT3 fully supports your view that it was his fault.

You need to have a bit of fun. Smiley

40k Euro, that must have been a huge damage! Smiley I hope its not so bad on yours Cram. Smiley

Was your spin on the Nordschleife Achim? Well, sometimes we need and deserve some luck. Smiley

--

Anne Smile 

Anne:

Was your spin on the Nordschleife Achim? Well, sometimes we need and deserve some luck. Smiley

Yes, Anne - I felt like an idiot Smiley Following the recommendation of a friend (very good GT3 driver and NoS expert) I tried a different line at the Steilstreckenkurve. My fault: I didn't adjust the corner entry speed enough (compared to my usual line). Also I had new grippy front tires installed while the rears are pretty worn, which didn't help of course. Finally I was just about to close the gap to this GT-R Smiley (actually my first encounter with a GT-R which was driven very fast, normally they are no problem). Anyway the GT3 snapped around quite brutally with no pre-warning Smiley Usually I'm pretty fast at the wheel but this time I knew in a split second that I'd loose the car Smiley  Full brake, car enclosed in a rubber cloud and than you look into the eyes of the following drivers.....through the side window Smiley Luckily I managed to stay on the tarmac and my final "parking position" was not exactly in the ideal line....

Lesson learned: experiments whith new lines only if one commences at "cruising speed" and definitely not if one is in "race mode" Smiley

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

I had my first spin at the Nordschleife last year. I know how you felt Achim It happened right after Metzgesfeld...I still despise that downhill part.

--

At least Kallenhard is a more tricky corner - makes for a better excuse than Steilstreckenkurve Smiley 

Anyway, better just a spin than a visit to the armco Smiley A friend received last week an invoice for 147 meters of armco Smiley When I took him for a PAX lap last weekend (first visit to the 'Ring for him after he had a big crash 4 weeks ago) he was shocked when we arrived at Kesselchen: "Geez, they renovated the entire section with my money" Smiley

--

Porsche-Jeck:
    40k Euro repair costs Smiley

Seriously? It only had a minor damage in the front. Maybe a new front spoiler and some touch up around the left indicator. You sure it is the same car? There was another GT3 which got the nose completely clean shaven Smiley I can understand if that one will cost EUR 40k to get running again.

--

987 Boxster S, Arctic Silver with 'Martini Racing' Livery, H&R Monotube Coil-Overs, H&R Anti Roll Bars, Strut Brace, FVD ECU, BMC Air Filter, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, Recaro Racing Shells, PSE.

997 Carrera 4S, Guards Red, Bilstein PSS10 Damptronic, H&R Anti Roll Bars, IPD Plenum, Dension Gateway 500, PSE.

Gnil:
    Porsche-Jeck:
    Anne:

@ Cram: by chance I saw your "opponent's" damaged GT3 last Saturday (I needed some new front tires ad hoc......hence I had to find a nearby shop with some MPSC available and there I spotted the car).

On a lighter note: funny shot from yesterday Smiley

würg.jpg

Great pic Smiley 

I am surprised by the 40K damage, because the car seemed only to have slithly the front wing + radiator + spoiler broken Smiley  

Good you did not crash Achim !!!!Smiley Even though you have insuranceSmiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Porsche-Jeck:

Lesson learned: experiments whith new lines only if one commences at "cruising speed" and definitely not if one is in "race mode" Smiley

very lucky my friend - but good to see that you learn from your mistakes Smiley

--
    Off enjoying my car...

bluelines:
    Porsche-Jeck:
    40k Euro repair costs Smiley

Seriously? It only had a minor damage in the front. Maybe a new front spoiler and some touch up around the left indicator. You sure it is the same car? There was another GT3 which got the nose completely clean shaven Smiley I can understand if that one will cost EUR 40k to get running again.

Hhhhhhm, Meteor Grey 3.8 with BE number plate, crash on the GP circuit during the Scuderia course...
    Sure, it could have been the other car, but I'm afraid there is no such thing as a "minor damage" (moneywise) on a GT3 Smiley

@ TEE: that's the beauty of life - even if you're an old fart like me you still can learn something new Smiley

@ Anne: now that you mentioned that one needs some luck now and then - perhaps you know your country fellow with the orange 964 3.8 RS ('Ring regular) Smiley He was not so lucky on Sunday: car heavily damaged (I guess totalled) at Eiskurve Smiley

Oh, and I forget to tell a rather bizarre story (just too much things to remember from a quite eventful weekend Smiley).

Here's the story: well this season I missed one of these Sunday morning 8:00 magic laps.....pure heaven....first car to enter the NoS for a slow info lap.....waking up the Eifel animals with the PSE.....side window half down enjoying the sound......morning sun working itself through some light fog.......it really can't get better than this (lap time aside Smiley).

So I arrived 7:59 h at the Breidscheid entrance. Grandpa Strack ("custodian" at Breidscheid for decades) arrives a minute later and was laughing about the "greeting committee" waiting for him - meanwhile 4 other cars arrived.

But then this special oil sucker vehicle entered the 'Ring. WTF - couldn't they have cleaned the track yesterday evening in case that someone spilled his oil Smiley

No they couldn't......because some kind of super moron spilled a lot of oil all over the place at Pflanzgarten during the night SmileySmiley I bet this a...hole was still sitting in a bush waiting for the first car to get catapulted into the woods.....unbelievable Smiley

Grandpa Strack who's working there for more than 40 years said that this is the first time ever that someone did this.

Thanks to the Marshals (who always do an inspection lap before they open the track) I was not the very first one to arrive at Pflanzgarten. Even if I'm only cruising for the first two laps or so in the early morning (damp sections etc.) it wouldn't have been funny. 

--

Scary story about the oil. People like that are all over the world, unfortunately.

As for the 147 meters of Armco, did they give him a discount? It seems unlikely to damage such a consistent length of Armco. Either you hit full on and take out maybe 5 or 10 meters, or if zou are going really fast and skid along the Armco for a long time, you scrape it, but no damage is done. Or is even a scrape such a problem on the Ring? 

Good question, Marek Smiley First one has to know that damaged armco is a welcomed revenue source for the Nürburgring GmbH - so even if you only cause very light damage they' ll replace it at your costs Smiley

Secondly the meters are counted per layer. At some sections like Kesselchen (where my buddy had his crash) there are three layers of armco - hence the 147 m translate into a strip of 49 m where the armco was damaged.

Still sounds like too much ? Smiley Well, he lost control at 200 km/h + ,went into the grass, hit the armco, swung around rolled 3x and zigzagged between the armcos (right/left), hence the damage occured on both sides of the track. The impact was so heavy that he even destroyed 30 m of fence (behind the armco). He had more than one Guardian Angel that day: full roll cage, bucket seats + 6-point harness saved his life (he even had no injuries). Even though the track doctor sent him to the Adenau hospital for some x-ray examination because he said: the looks of the car wreck doesn't suit the assumption that you didn't suffer any injury.

Anyway, they charged him 11,000 Euro for the armco - that's 50% of the average amount becoming due during a full VLN race weekend with 200 cars or so....Smiley

--

Porsche-Jeck:

@ Anne: now that you mentioned that one needs some luck now and then - perhaps you know your country fellow with the orange 964 3.8 RS ('Ring regular) Smiley He was not so lucky on Sunday: car heavily damaged (I guess totalled) at Eiskurve Smiley

Oh, and I forget to tell a rather bizarre story (just too much things to remember from a quite eventful weekend Smiley).

Here's the story: well this season I missed one of these Sunday morning 8:00 magic laps.....pure heaven....first car to enter the NoS for a slow info lap.....waking up the Eifel animals with the PSE.....side window half down enjoying the sound......morning sun working itself through some light fog.......it really can't get better than this (lap time aside Smiley).

So I arrived 7:59 h at the Breidscheid entrance. Grandpa Strack ("custodian" at Breidscheid for decades) arrives a minute later and was laughing about the "greeting committee" waiting for him - meanwhile 4 other cars arrived.

But then this special oil sucker vehicle entered the 'Ring. WTF - couldn't they have cleaned the track yesterday evening in case that someone spilled his oil Smiley

No they couldn't......because some kind of super moron spilled a lot of oil all over the place at Pflanzgarten during the night SmileySmiley I bet this a...hole was still sitting in a bush waiting for the first car to get catapulted into the woods.....unbelievable Smiley

Grandpa Strack who's working there for more than 40 years said that this is the first time ever that someone did this.

Thanks to the Marshals (who always do an inspection lap before they open the track) I was not the very first one to arrive at Pflanzgarten. Even if I'm only cruising for the first two laps or so in the early morning (damp sections etc.) it wouldn't have been funny. 

I´m sorry to hear that, I think I know who it is. Did it have a black hood or something else black on it? But I might be mixing it up with some other car... He must have been driving pretty fast to go out in Eiskurve. Or was it moist? I guess this is one of the many curves I should be pushing a bit more, it has always felt smooth. But passing another car (on the left side of course) towards the top can be surprising when the track tightens in and goes slightly to the right over the top. Smiley

As for the person who deliberately poured oil on the track at Pflanzgarten I´m really horrified. SmileySmiley Doesn´t he understand that this actually is a murder attempt? If the Marshals had not checked the track and had not seen the oil, and a motorbike had come first, there is a very big chance he would have been killed. And if it had been a car it would probably crash rather violently with big damages. I hope they find whoever did this and give him the punishment he deserves. Smiley

I wish I could go down to the Ring one more time this year, but I´m pretty sure I wont be able to make it. We bought a new house and are moving in the beginning of november, and besides a lot of work I´m busy selling the old house. I think my boyfriend is going down in about 3 weeks though, he has his car at Mathey, so its a bit easier for him. But I would really like to take a serious shot at getting under 8 minutes BTG... Well, next year.... Smiley

--

Anne Smile 

The track was completely dry, but maybe the car had a technical problem - the half ripped out engine was covered with foam when I arrived at the scene. I've encountered the car many times on the track and I always got the impression that the driver is very reasonable never taking any crazy risks.

You're right regarding that it's a tricky corner for overtaking manouevers, especially when the driver in the slower car doesn't know the track and therefore suddenly steers to the left....Same goes for Flugplatz and Fuchsröhre. I always take a very conservative approach when overtaking at these corners and I would have been in serious trouble more than once if I wouldn't have sticked to this conservative approach.

"Murder attempt" actually were my first words after I heared what happened at Pflanzgarten Smiley

BTW i'd reserve your time attack for a trackday - too risky during the Touristenfahrten IMHO.

But maybe a good excuse for my better half why I should have a closer look at the new RS - I need a proper Blondinen chasing tool Smiley Just kidding of course - looking forward to meet you again next season and all the best with your new house Smiley

Here's a pic of the orange/black aircooled baby:

nor-rs.jpg  

Ahhhhh, and I knew I would forget to tell yet another crazy story from last weekend Smiley

At the Breidscheid entrance there were three Czechs (2 x 3.8 GT3, 1x 997 GT2) installing their base camp there for the entire weekend. They had a service truck with them and after every two laps or so the drivers made a pit stop at Breidscheid. While they kept sitting in their cars 4 guys in blue overalls jumped out of the truck: one of them cleaning the window, one checking tire pressure and one providing a water bottle to the driver. Finally they played around with the monstrous torque converter for the single bolt wheels of the 3.8 GT3s "checking" whether all four wheels were still tight....Smiley It was the ultimate 'Ring poser show - too bad I hadn't a digi cam with me Smiley

A friend of mine thought that this kind of service actually could be a clever business idea considering the number of posers Smiley Of course we would make it more attractive with some sexy car wash in the summer time Smiley

--

What is the best way to learn the ring, is there a track guide online somewhere to prepare? I'll have my first time on the ring soon.

Eunice:

What is the best way to learn the ring

I'll be happy to show you the way around, Eunice Smiley I think the BMW track guide can be found at the sportauto-online website - it's quite good though not perfectly up to date. Also the ideallinie-konzept stuff is not bad - though it costs 120 Euro or so. If you like I can lend it to you.

--

Eunice:

I made my first experience with the 'Ring in this years Scuderia Hanseat course. Was really, really good. I can highly recommend it. You would however have to wait until May or September 2010 for the next courses...

A couple of laps with P-J is probably the best way Smiley I am sure he can show you the ins and outs of the whole ring. P-J, next year we have to make a lap together Smiley

--

987 Boxster S, Arctic Silver with 'Martini Racing' Livery, H&R Monotube Coil-Overs, H&R Anti Roll Bars, Strut Brace, FVD ECU, BMC Air Filter, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, Recaro Racing Shells, PSE.

997 Carrera 4S, Guards Red, Bilstein PSS10 Damptronic, H&R Anti Roll Bars, IPD Plenum, Dension Gateway 500, PSE.

Porsche-Jeck:

The track was completely dry, but maybe the car had a technical problem - the half ripped out engine was covered with foam when I arrived at the scene. I've encountered the car many times on the track and I always got the impression that the driver is very reasonable never taking any crazy risks.

You're right regarding that it's a tricky corner for overtaking manouevers, especially when the driver in the slower car doesn't know the track and therefore suddenly steers to the left....Same goes for Flugplatz and Fuchsröhre. I always take a very conservative approach when overtaking at these corners and I would have been in serious trouble more than once if I wouldn't have sticked to this conservative approach.

"Murder attempt" actually were my first words after I heared what happened at Pflanzgarten Smiley

BTW i'd reserve your time attack for a trackday - too risky during the Touristenfahrten IMHO.

But maybe a good excuse for my better half why I should have a closer look at the new RS - I need a proper Blondinen chasing tool Smiley Just kidding of course - looking forward to meet you again next season and all the best with your new house Smiley

Here's a pic of the orange/black aircooled baby:

nor-rs.jpg  

Ahhhhh, and I knew I would forget to tell yet another crazy story from last weekend Smiley

At the Breidscheid entrance there were three Czechs (2 x 3.8 GT3, 1x 997 GT2) installing their base camp there for the entire weekend. They had a service truck with them and after every two laps or so the drivers made a pit stop at Breidscheid. While they kept sitting in their cars 4 guys in blue overalls jumped out of the truck: one of them cleaning the window, one checking tire pressure and one providing a water bottle to the driver. Finally they played around with the monstrous torque converter for the single bolt wheels of the 3.8 GT3s "checking" whether all four wheels were still tight....Smiley It was the ultimate 'Ring poser show - too bad I hadn't a digi cam with me Smiley

A friend of mine thought that this kind of service actually could be a clever business idea considering the number of posers Smiley Of course we would make it more attractive with some sexy car wash in the summer time Smiley

Sounds bad. But yes, it was his car, but from what I heard his brother was driving it. That sucks.Smiley Your right about this guy, he drives quite safe and considerate as far as I have seen, and he must have quite a few laps on his conscience. He has usually been using a red USA registered 996 GT3 when I have bumped into him down there. I guess he wont be to happy about this...

As to reserve my time attack for a trackday thats probably the most sensible thing to do. There are too many idiots out there during the Touristenfahrten and much more risky. But I tend to forget everything about times when driving, I just enjoy driving as fast as possible when I´m in the right mood. The 8:07 was during touristenfahrt and did not feel fast. I was thinking about doing a Sport Auto course next year, I have heard that they are good. Do any of you guys have experience with their courses at the Nordschleife?

New 997 GT3RS = Blondinen chasing tool. I like that! SmileySmiley My boyfriend sometimes get the question, what if Anne is faster than you? He always answers: "Then I have to buy a faster car". Smiley But he's faster than me in the first place. He has more driving experience, and many more laps on the Ring than me as well as probably more talent, so I would have needed a faster car than him to be able to run from him. Smiley

It´s a pity you didn´t have your camera to show us the Czechs. Smiley They didn´t have tire warmers as well? Smiley

As for the car wash we have often talked about that it would be a good business idea to have another petrol station close to the entrance. This should have a bigger shop and with some fast food etc, and 2 car wash possibilities. One for washing the car yourselves and the other for having it hand washed and maybe polished by others. With so many really nice cars at one place almost all the time a lot of people will want to wash their cars to show them from their best side.  Now we usually go to Bahrweiler and wash our cars there. I haven´t thought about the sexy car wash, but thats a great idea, and I would be surprised if there wasn´t a market for this. Smiley

--

Anne Smile 

bluelines:
    Eunice:

A couple of laps with P-J is probably the best way Smiley I am sure he can show you the ins and outs of the whole ring. P-J, next year we have to make a lap together Smiley

Yes, doing a few laps with PJ and then following him for a few more would be the best way!!! PJ is the Rennteam Ring master Smiley Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Anne, do you time your lap from bridge to bridge ?

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Yes, from bridge to bridge, or Bridge To Gantry (BTG) as they for some reason call it. My Performace Box is set up to take the time from BTG automatically. Smiley

--

Anne Smile 

Yes  i confirm, the best teacher for the Ring is PJ  I'm sure he can drive it with closed eyes. Then i would say, Anne then her Boyfriend and then all the one behind.

To know this ring you've got to be often there. Lucky those who can.

--

Cayenne Turbo - Mini Cooper S - 997 GT3

Anne:

Yes, from bridge to bridge, or Bridge To Gantry (BTG) as they for some reason call it. My Performace Box is set up to take the time from BTG automatically. Smiley

so...I'll have to improve my time slightly SmileySmiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Eunice:

What is the best way to learn the ring, is there a track guide online somewhere to prepare? I'll have my first time on the ring soon.

Just to get you warmed up, the attachment contains the BMW-guide mentioned before.

1253702513331Nordschleife.pdf

--

Matt C
    2005 997 C2S / 1988 911 3.2 Conv.

Matt C:
    Eunice:

Just to get you warmed up, the attachment contains the BMW-guide mentioned before.

1253702513331Nordschleife.pdf

Thank you very much, exactly what I was looking for! Smiley

Funny about my fellow countrymen making a show at the Ring. Don´t worry about it, I am sure they just wanted to show the locals that the eastern side of Europe is catching up in various aspects. Maybe in the past some German guy stepped on their blanket on the beach in Croatia, or whatever. This happens, you know? 

Btw, can you take out a Cup car during a Touristenfahrt? How do the VLN teams handle the practising side of the business? Do they just go with the tourists in regular street cars to practise the lines?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806611 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449539 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267056 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90450 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7217 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

887357 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    836205 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM