Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: BMW X5 M & X6 M

BMW X5 M, X6 M Minisite Source Code Reveals 550 HP Twin Scroll Details

It's possible BMW may not have hired the most clever web designers for the BMW X6 M website as the source code contains some rather telling tags, like "550 HP" and "Twin Scroll Twin Turbo."

Despite all outward appearances, we of the Jalop are by no means master web ninjas, but Firefox has this neat feature called "View Page Source" which lets you look under the hood of any website you visit. Doing so for the just-launched BMW X5 M and X6 M minisite reveals the following tag cloud:

Crafted at M, SAV, SAC, Sports Activity Vehicle, Sports Activity Coupe, E70 M, E71 M, X5M, X5 M, X6M, X6 M, M GmbH, BMW M, discussion, behind the scenes, news, spyshots, spyshot, prototype, disguise, disguised, testing, Nordschleife, Nürburgring, report, blog entry, image material, press, press release, eight-cylinder engine, V8, Twin Scroll Twin Turbo, 550 bhp, performance, motorsport, sport, dynamics, xDrive, X-Drive, all-wheel, Adaptive Drive, HUD, Head Up Display, dynamic, sophisticated, feedback, gills, lightweight, spaciousness

Oops. Seems the overzealous designers were hankering for some love from Google and included all the key details about the cars in an effort to maximize searchability. It's possible the details revealed here aren't exact, but we doubt it. So now we know they're both likely to get V8's equipped with two twin-scroll turbochargers blasting out a ridiculous 550 HP, all-wheel drive, heads-up display's and the same Adaptive Drive found on the 7-series. And what is this business of "gills?" The complete details will be arriving in thirty days when the vehicles are completely revealed, or sooner when some real h4xorz turn the website into swiss cheese.

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

These new BMW are the only new car that entice my right now. Porsche has some heavy thinking to do if these come out significantly lower than the Cayenne TT and handle well.

SciFrog:
    These new BMW are the only new car that entice my right now. Porsche has some heavy thinking to do if these come out significantly lower than the Cayenne TT and handle well.

Based on what intouch1 stated while ago the handling and the power delivery of his X6 was the reason he got it over the Cayenne Turbo.

--
    Happy Driving

How about the X5? The third row would be huge for me.

We're on the same boat Smiley, X5 would be my only option too .  I have to have enough seats for 3 kids or there will be a war in my house Smiley.

--
    Happy Driving

For me, the X6 would be the car. 

Anyway - I'm convinced we will see next year an M7, with the same egine.

After I had a 750i Testcar for almost a week, I'll have a new mega-star for a possible next car in my drawer. And if I imagine the same car with an M-Packaged implant, wow - thats simply is it!

Ron (Houston):
    SciFrog:

Based on what intouch1 stated while ago the handling and the power delivery of his X6 was the reason he got it over the Cayenne Turbo.

--
    Happy Driving

yup, it's been 2 months now that i got my X6 and i really do prefer it over my previous cayenne turbo. it's a clever car and has way more options than my loaded CT had.

love the soft close doors...

handling is something new. the way the car turns into a curve is totally different from any suv i have driven before.

the slushbox is light years more responsive than in the cayenne. when in sport mode it really does hold those gears even when around the top rpm range. it does not shift up until the limiter.

although having 43 hp less than the CT it feels very quick. i have yet to do some pulls against the CT that i have sold to a friend....

personally i cannot wait for the X6M.......it tickles all my fancies. the car simply looks way coller than any other suv simply for it's fastback rear.

i am sure that the price will be way below the CT 2.0 too.

base price for the X6 50i is 67k $ in the US....fully optioned I got mine just short of 100k including shipping etc.....the euro was about 1.4 to the $.....a real bargain imo.

a fully loaded X6M will not be more than 100k $ in the US.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

SciFrog:
    How about the X5? The third row would be huge for me.

Got the 2 seater third row in mine and there great for the kiddies,,very tidy design to...

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

intouch1:

handling is something new. the way the car turns into a curve is totally different from any suv i have driven before.

I agree with all your comments but this one is something I had a hard time explaining to my friend before.  It is sort of like getting pushed in through the outer rear wheel into the curve.  For a car thats 2.2 tons handling is very very impressive.  Slushbox is light years ahead of any slushbox Porsche has offered before PDK. 

My experiences are for the Xdrive35d but I am pretty sure M version will be a CTT(s) killer in performance, in feeling and in looks.

--

2006 C4S --to be ditched soon..

Suzuki Burgman AN400

This is a never ending story. The X models are new compared to the cayenne which is a 2004 car really and as expected they are superior in some areas (according to what some of you say). Until the new cayenne in 2010(?) which will make the X appear an old model etc etc.

However, what is the advantage of getting a 2.2 ton car that offers no off-road ability and no great accomodation and rave that it handles like a normal sporty sedan/estate? Get a good 5 series (for example) and save the costs related to this overweight beast.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

reginos, i have to disagree with you. while i thought that the x6 will only be a bridge between gen 1 cayenne turbo and gen 2 CT i am now convinced, that it's x6m for me.

the cayenne 2.0 is largely based on the gen1 and will offer no real surprises. the x6 is far more advanced.

and in all honesty offroading is the last that comes to my mind when thinking of these cars.

no one buys a cayenne to go offroad with it hence i could not care less how it performs on dubai sand dunes.

the x6 will get you through snow and mud just as good as a cayenne

luxury performance suv make a lot of sense in the real world. with our bumpy roads.....bad asphalt and many a sleeping policeman these cars actually make sedans and estates obsolete.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Queram:
    intouch1:

I agree with all your comments but this one is something I had a hard time explaining to my friend before.  It is sort of like getting pushed in through the outer rear wheel into the curve.  For a car thats 2.2 tons handling is very very impressive.  Slushbox is light years ahead of any slushbox Porsche has offered before PDK. 

My experiences are for the Xdrive35d but I am pretty sure M version will be a CTT(s) killer in performance, in feeling and in looks.

--

2006 C4S --to be ditched soon..

Suzuki Burgman AN400

yup, first time i was going a bit faster in the x6 and swerving left and right to see how it handles, i was amazed at how the actively turns in. you can really feel the push from the outer back corner. it neither over nor understeer...its new....

--

queram,

yes, the X6M is the new cayenne turboS.....

it will be the perfect car for those who need a 4 door and don't want a limo or an estate. for me it's the natural rival to let's say S63, Panamera, m5, RS6 and naturally the cayenne and q7.

when porsche came out with the cayenne turbo is was an all out assault on the world of suv's.

now we have the ML63 etc......but the looks of the X6 are unique. it is really a very very cool car.

--

intouch1:

queram,

yes, the X6M is the new cayenne turboS.....

it will be the perfect car for those who need a 4 door and don't want a limo or an estate. for me it's the natural rival to let's say S63, Panamera, m5, RS6 and naturally the cayenne and q7.

when porsche came out with the cayenne turbo is was an all out assault on the world of suv's.

now we have the ML63 etc......but the looks of the X6 are unique. it is really a very very cool car.

--

I agree Smiley
    It is the best everyday car, IMO.

Kerem, I should drive your X6 sometime. :)

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis / 07 CARRERA S Meteor / 05 M3Coupe SilverGrau / 03 M3Coupe Bluewater / 96 M3Coupe EVO Estoril

intouch1:

reginos, i have to disagree with you. while i thought that the x6 will only be a bridge between gen 1 cayenne turbo and gen 2 CT i am now convinced, that it's x6m for me.

the cayenne 2.0 is largely based on the gen1 and will offer no real surprises. the x6 is far more advanced.

and in all honesty offroading is the last that comes to my mind when thinking of these cars.

no one buys a cayenne to go offroad with it hence i could not care less how it performs on dubai sand dunes.

the x6 will get you through snow and mud just as good as a cayenne

luxury performance suv make a lot of sense in the real world. with our bumpy roads.....bad asphalt and many a sleeping policeman these cars actually make sedans and estates obsolete.

--

Judging by rumours of how well the panamera drives, I expect the cayenne 2 to be far removed from cayenne 1. Admitedly cars like the x6 could be an extra impetus for Porsche to up their game.

Moreover, like you say because most luxury SUVs don't go off-road, I expect Porsche to offer an on-road version of cayenne2, without transfer gears and reduction box, less suspension travel and less weight. Such car will put emphasis on road performance and will be nearer to yours and other people's driving needs.

--

but then they still have the problem of the looks.

all suv's look the same with the straight hatch at the back.

this is where bmw nailed it with it's fastback design......and that's what made me switch. the looks at first and then i was really blown away of the whole package.

let's see how it will hold up.

the cayenne turbo is still going strong and my buddy who bought it loves it. it's a 2006 with about 23k km now. not a single issue with the car except for a faulty sensor which made the 4wd faulty lamp come on every now and then.

--

If the X6 sloping rear proves to be a real long term hit, I expect all manufacturers to copy the idea very soon, with little extra cost to offer a coupe version of exisiting or future SUVs.

Imitation in cars is easy as there are no patents on the general design concept. Look for example at the Mercedes vario-roof or the CLS 4 door coupe concept how they sparked off so many similar models from many manufacturers.

--

You guys are tempting me so much that I'm going to test drive one today Smiley.

--
    Happy Driving

Ron (Houston):

--
    Happy Driving

2300kg with 550ps/700Nm... Not my kind of car...

KresoF1:

Ron (Houston):

--
    Happy Driving

Smiley damn right

x5/6 cayenne turbo,ml63 all FTMFL !

they are not very Sporty,certainly not very Utility like,maybe they qualify as vehicles....

when i need a car to perform off road and bad weather tasks with max drivability and     

comfort, i use my range rover which can also shift a bit on road if required.

I prefer to do the sporty driving in proper sports cars.

hugo:

KresoF1:

Ron (Houston):

--
    Happy Driving

Smiley damn right

x5/6 cayenne turbo,ml63 all FTMFL !

they are not very Sporty,certainly not very Utility like,maybe they qualify as vehicles....

when i need a car to perform off road and bad weather tasks with max drivability and     

comfort, i use my range rover which can also shift a bit on road if required.

I prefer to do the sporty driving in proper sports cars.

while i certainly consider the range rover to be classy, it is downright boring. furthermore, i have yet to hear of an owner who did not suffer  many issues with his range.

i am not going to debate over the needs of a car or what is superfluous....as a land cruiser td does it all.

when it comes to passion, these power suv's are great cars.

i started with a cayenneS as i thought, well, that's powerful enough for an suv....hell, was i wrong. 6 months later i had my cayenne turbo and enjoyed every second of owning that car.

my brother who loves cars as well took it for an extended drive only to report back that the car feels more like a sports car than an suv.....and right he is.

--

Beautiful power-slide with zero body roll of Cayenne turbo in this video

When can we expect dealers to have X5/6M's arriving in showrooms?

--
    997S Cab Seal Gray

october 24th

--

Today I visited my local BMW dealer for a tire change (winter to summer tires) on my wife's M3 Cab and we talked about the upcoming X5/X6 M variants. He offered to me his first X5 M at a very attractive discount, he just didn't know exactly what options his first car will have.

At around 100000 EUR (incl. the dealer offered rebate), the X5 M seems to be kind of a bargain to me. A Cayenne Turbo S with similar options would be at least 140000 EUR.

24106_1238948093196.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

get the same deal on an x6m and go for it without thinking twice.....unless you need 3 seats in the back.

--

intouch1:

get the same deal on an x6m and go for it without thinking twice.....unless you need 3 seats in the back.

Christian,

I agree with intouch1.  Go for the X6M this way the kids won't even fight in the back seat each have their own seat Smiley

--
    Happy Driving

6 months old Cayenne TTS can be had for the projected X5M price here in the US...

intouch1:

What is the advantage of the X6M compared to the X5M, besides its novelty value, which might wear off come resale time?

The speed is there in both. Slightly, better handling perhaps for the X6? You don't buy a car of this type to do play on the circuit. There are more dedicated cars for that purpose.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777003 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441627 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262743 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260899 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85159 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5547 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880604 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815804 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM