Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: 997.2 GT3 in Geneva

New crystal clear rear light design, available later this year... Smiley

--

Back again!  Smiley

OMG they are asking 1.088,85 € to have your star rim center bolt painted Smiley and its not even available till 08/2009. 

Those crystal lights are terrible from the little picture above. 

--

2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd

These rear lights reminds me of a ricer with a Honda Civic...Smiley
    --
    "If you want to convert a normal car into a race car, you have to change 80% of the parts - with a Porsche; a change of 20% will do the job" - W. Röhrl

rantanplan:
    PinKchampagnE:
    Can't wait to read the first reviews.

the guy i mentioned before who drove to the show and back in the new GT3 was heavily involved in the production of the new GT3, or in fact all cars developed at Porsche Motorsports in Weissach (all GT cars). He said even though the previous car was amazing everywhere they managed to improve its stability and downforce dramatically. the downforce is almost thee times!! as high as in the GT3 mk1. also the rear break cooing system was imroved through a new pipe, whic will be available for the mk1 as soon as the mk2 will be on sale! amazing news considdering the rear brakes wear out a lot quicker than the front ones. 

the brakes are also improved, not only cause their 380mm now but because they managed to loose some extra weight, even on the GT3-PCCB version.

from the technical part there is no doubt that the new GT3 outperforms the current one quite a bit. on the nordschleife its runs about 8 secs. faster (around 7:40). However it will still be seen because the car wasnt copletely finished at that time last year and they werent able to test under good conditions this year yet.

greets! 

--
    997 GT3 clubsport
    Interesting, thanks for the info. Smiley

That's quite interesting (inofficial) information Smiley

8s on the NBR would be a significant improvement - hopefully Sportauto can test the new GT3 soon Smiley

Rossi:
    cdixon:
    KresoF1:
    From today 997.2 GT3 is in German Porsche web configurator.

Liftsystem Vorderachse. Hinweis: Frühestens verfügbar ab 09/2009.

2.975,00 €

Dynamische Motorlager. Hinweis: Frühestens verfügbar ab 09/2009.

1.190,00 €

How much !!!!!

3000 Euros to avoid speed bumps, and 1200 Euros to stop your engine from wobbling about !!! 

Thought exactly the same, when I read it in the configurator. Smiley

--

Back again!  Smiley

Seriously, whats the point of the new engine mounts, just for comfort? Smiley

They are supposed to further improve track performance. Usually, the GT models come with softer shock mounts. By ordering this option engine movements (relative to the chassis) can be further reduced in sports mode. I would definitively order (and try) it for optimized track use. Porsche would not offer such option if you could not notice its impact on the track Smiley

MKSGR:
    They are supposed to further improve track performance. Usually, the GT models come with softer shock mounts. By ordering this option engine movements (relative to the chassis) can be further reduced in sports mode. I would definitively order (and try) it for optimized track use. Porsche would not offer such option if you could not notice its impact on the track Smiley

Dynamische Motorlager is bringing only about 1.5s on the Nordschleife in Rohrl hands, according to my P. source.  It is not a must option. Of course, if it not that expensive and if you like to wait little bit longer then go for it.

Second thing for all potentional GT3 buyers-standard brakes are amazing and there is NO need for optional PCCBs. Standard brakes are as big and as powerfull as PCCBs. For track use there is even an advantage for standard brakes.

I learned a lot about 997.2 GT3 since I decided to get in instead of Cayman S.

Harder engine mounts have always been a performance modification for rear engined Porsches since ther beginning. You see them advertised even for 70s or 80s 911s in parts catalogues.

The position and weight of the engine determine the 911's handling behaviour so how much the engine is allowed to move on the chassis is crucial.

The new Dymanic system is an effort to have both normal (=comfort) engine mounts and harder(=better handling) engine mounts at the press of a button.

Perhaps on the NBR the advantage may be thin but on tighter circuits or a twisty mountain roads the benefit will be greater.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

The Ricey Option!!  Smiley

Taillights in clear glass look 

Clear glass look lens with red reflector. Functions and dimensions correspond to those of the standard tail lights.

--
    997 GT3 Guards Red

KresoF1:
    MKSGR:

Dynamische Motorlager is bringing only about 1.5s on the Nordschleife in Rohrl hands, according to my P. source.  It is not a must option. Of course, if it not that expensive and if you like to wait little bit longer then go for it.

Second thing for all potentional GT3 buyers-standard brakes are amazing and there is NO need for optional PCCBs. Standard brakes are as big and as powerfull as PCCBs. For track use there is even an advantage for standard brakes.

I learned a lot about 997.2 GT3 since I decided to get in instead of Cayman S.

The Dynamische Motorlager is an improvement over the previous version GT3, because they installed another functionality of Porsche race cars into the street version without compromising anything. Both, the GT3 Cup and the RSR have that option too and it actually does improve the handling and speed under extreme conditions. 

in terms of the brakes, its true that the steel brakes are now as big as the PCCB and they managed to improve both quite a bit. However, the PCCB still does brake a little better and it especially allows to brake later compared to the steel ones. Also because there is no fading. The 50% weight difference of unsprung mass also makes a noticable difference, according to Olaf Manthey. He said not to underestimate the difference to the handling.

greets! 

--
    997 GT3 clubsport

Where are the bolts that attach the rotor to the aluminium top-hat?

_rocket:

Where are the bolts that attach the rotor to the aluminium top-hat?

The PCCB cars have an aluminium top-hat, whereas the cast-iron brake cars have a one-piece rotor and top-hat, so no bolts.  

--
    fritz

No, no, the new GT3 cast-iron brakes are actually a 2-piece design.

Variable engine mounts have been used by Audi for their TDI engines a decade ago already but certainly without the handling effect in focus. Smiley

For the average driver, I see this feature in line with the sport button - resulting in a less comfortable and compromised setup. The sum of settings (SC, PASM, engine mounts) certainly alter the car´s handling character.

THis is worth listening to.

http://www.drivers-republic.com/first_look/news/details.cfm?articleid=1a74aea7d0c540f6a71412c7eb72f2dc

Chris Harris interviewing Andreas Preuninger. The audio link is on the last page... Some very interesting info. 

Just heard that interview this morning, I was just going to post it too Smiley

Whats amazing about this is that according to the GT3 project manager,  profesional drivers have driven the new MK-II GT3 in the track in the dry, and most were faster with the PSM on than with the PSM OFF Smiley its that unintrusive and effective, amazing.

The lift system is quite expensive but its mentioned in the interview that it weights only 5 Kg and its located in the middle of the car down low so it does not affect the center of gravety and can lift 3cm the front of the car, equaling a normal carrera 911. To me this feature improves useability without drawbacks so much that they can get away with that price. I would definately get it.

2.5kg less each now for the steel version, thats a lot. And the PCCB now are 5kg less than regular brakes. Personally I would stick with the new improved steel rotors, more than enough IMO (law of diminishing returns applies now IMO).

Amazing downforce (increased three times vs Mk-I)and cooling improvements, yet top speed is increased slightly.

Love the centre locking hubs detail.

Will be interesting to hear roads test of the new engine with extra mid range torque now that they have been able to increase 200cc thanks to new FIA regulations.

To me this car is the definition of PORSCHE.

--

spotted @ geneve

DSC00016.JPG

DSC00017.JPG

DSC00020.JPG

DSC00022.JPG

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

Yep some interesting new technology...

I doubt i will bother with the Ceramic Brakes.  I will probably tick the engine mounts and axle lifter on mine though. 

andrea:

spotted @ geneve

--

Hey andrea, could you please use a flashlight next time? Smiley

We can only guess, but I think the GT3 looks gorgeous in aqua (?) blue. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    andrea:

spotted @ geneve

--

Hey andrea, could you please use a flashlight next time? Smiley

We can only guess, but I think the GT3 looks gorgeous in aqua (?) blue. Smiley

--

I found the pics on another forum Smiley

--

I was talking to a salesman at a UK OPC today and the guy told me that 997 GT3 Mk2s are available to order. They are expected to be made in smaller numbers even than the Mk1 997 GT3 since PCGB is expecting to import fewer cars into the UK to help keep residual values higher. This OPC has no firm allocation of cars but instead cars are being made to order for customers with an initial deposit of GBP10k.

They are not expecting to have any demo cars so the only way to try them out is to pay for a GT Experience at Porsche Driving Experience Centre Silverstone (which gives a few hours in a 997 GT2 and a 997 GT3 Mk2) at a cost of around GBP400. This OPC said that, if a customer then proceeds to place an order, then the OPC will absorb the cost of the GT Experience ... like I said, that's provided that an order is subsequently placed. Otherwise the GT Experience is at the customer's own cost.

He also said that a European launch event would be expected to take place at Porsche Driving Experience Centre Silverstone and that customers could expect the first cars to be delivered around June 2009. He expects the sales brochures to be available in May.

As yet there are no details about the 997 GT3 RS...

He also said launch dates for the 997 TT Mk2 are still not confirmed...

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

andrea:

--
    I guess that's the same car... Smiley

997gt3-2.JPG

--

Best looking 911 ever! I'm really impressed with the 997 GT3 MK2...
    --
    "If you want to convert a normal car into a race car, you have to change 80% of the parts - with a Porsche; a change of 20% will do the job" - W. Röhrl

Rossi:
    andrea:

--

997gt3-2.JPG

--

Smiley

Rossi:
    andrea:

--

997gt3-2.JPG

--

Yes! ;) I found this pictture too but you was faster on post it :)

--

IMO cars like the GT3 go better with flat colours and silver of course that is a colour in the Porsche character.

This blue is a more deluxe colour suited to a limousine.

--

I find the GT3 to have too many slats, vents and kinks, just as the Turbo. Those darker colours can take away some yet keep the reflections on the well-executed surfaces. If I woudl order the Mk.2, I´d choose Atlas Grey. Since it is not possible to order as a special colour, I´d have to go with Basalt black. 

Ferdie:

I find the GT3 to have too many slats, vents and kinks, just as the Turbo. Those darker colours can take away some yet keep the reflections on the well-executed surfaces. If I woudl order the Mk.2, I´d choose Atlas Grey. Since it is not possible to order as a special colour, I´d have to go with Basalt black. 

I'd stick with GT Silver, not too bright not too dark.

--

Guards Red with Standard brakes. If someone wants PCCBs then GT Silver or Speed Yellow...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    809183 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    450568 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267885 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91068 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7909 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

888819 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    838151 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM