Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Cayenne with Diesel engine

Porsche makes great products and I actually don't want to complaint about high production figures. I can see a 911 or Cayenne at almost every corner over here in Germany, so exclusivity isn't really Porsche's domain anymore. I couldn't care less. Unfortunately Porsche seems to feel different about their products, the prices are going up, almost at the same level with the production figures. This changed now(production figures) but the prices are still pretty high in my opinion. The problem isn't actually the base price, it is how much the car actually costs after you add some options to it. 

My wife got herself a brandnew BMW M3 Cabriolet with DKG, the latest model. Price tag with some options around 90000 EUR, after rebate 80000 EUR. The Boxster S she sold had a new car price tag of 76000 EUR and this was over two years ago. Get a fully equipped Boxster S right now and you'll end up at the same price tag as a BMW M3 Cab DKG. This is ridiculous in my opinion.

Bottom line is: if the customer starts to think that he's not getting what he's paying for, then the manufacturer has a problem. Porsche still profits and profited a lot from customer "perception" and their past racing history. Most customers don't have a clue about the Porsche they're driving, I already had my share of experience with "perception" and reality. Smiley

--
    RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Porsche made the Cayenne D to have a Cayenne below 250 g/Km of CO2 and below 10 l/100 Km.

Period !

--
    Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. Steve McQueen

RC  Porsche dealers here in the US are stuffed with left over 2008 and now 2009 model year cars. If the price on the Boxster S special edition versions are any indication of what is to come, I just do not see spending upwards of $75 - 80K for 987.2 model. Porsche needs to develop more realistic pricing for options and make some options part of the standard models.
    --
    2006 987S, Artic Silver, Cocoa, Cocoa Top 2006 Cayenne S Lapis Blue New York

bobr:
    Porsche needs to develop more realistic pricing for options and make some options part of the standard models.
    --
    2006 987S, Artic Silver, Cocoa, Cocoa Top 2006 Cayenne S Lapis Blue New York

I agree but I doubt it is ever going to happen. Smiley

--
    RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Especially in the US where Porsche are cheap...

I wonder what Walter is thinking about the Cayenne Diesel ? Smiley
    diesel.JPG 

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Porsche-Jeck:
    I wonder what Walter is thinking about the Cayenne Diesel ? Smiley
    diesel.JPG

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black
    Given the choice, I supect WR would pick the red one.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

You're too fast, guys. Smiley

Just planned to publish the picture myself.

I don't know if I should laugh or cry viewing this photo.

As far as I know, Walter Röhrl is currenty driving a 997 Carrera S Facelift with PDK.

--

Pure marketing. Smiley

Well, if Röhrl wants to compare the two and suggest what Diesel engines are for, that picture is entirely fine :)

Cayenne V12 TDI test mule spotted?

http://www.gtspirit.com/2009/02/19/rumours-v12-diesel-porsche-cayenne/
    --
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

I recently heard the rumor that Audi is going to stop Q7 production and that there is no more funding for a successor development. If true, it would make a LOT of sense for Audi to pass this marvelous monster Diesel engine to Porsche.

Time wil tell...

--

RC:

Bottom line is: if the customer starts to think that he's not getting what he's paying for, then the manufacturer has a problem.

Somehow I guess I hear this more often here in the board. Actually many of us are concerned to get what they are paying for when getting a Porsche. On the other hand side - there is still the "emotions" which are all we are paying for and they are hard to valuate.

No more Q7? They are plentiful on the roads in the US and would think they are selling quite well... It was never a car for europe anyway.

I seriously doubt they are about to stop producing the Q7, it's selling very well !!!

42,000 units in Europe in 2008 + 21,000 units in the US + RoW that I would guess around 10-20,000 as well. Bottom line around 70-80,000 units sold.

By the way, the Q7 is outselling the VW Touareg .... and no one is talking about stopping it..... 

I cant believe that. The Q7 hits the market quit well, so why to stop production?

It might be that they dont plan a direct successor - this might be a different story and for me understandable in the current market situation. Development costs of new models are very high, so why making a successor of a niche product.

On the other hand side, the Q7 is nearly 3 years on the market now. That means, they can at least produce this car without bigger changes for the next 7 years. If compared to classics like the Range Rover, MB G-Class, they are producing those cars for decades with only minor changes (ok - the Range got an update in between but the previous model was produces long time ago).

I heard the rumour about the Q7 production end last week during a short conversation with somebody who is close to Cayenne development. He was surprised too.

I know that a lot of car manufacturers are re-considering their model range and are doing new adjustments to the current crisis, so maybe this is part of it.

I was very surprised to hear this too, the Q5 even now has delivery times over here in Germany, so the whole Q model range seems to be a huge success.

Maybe Audi wants to stick with the smaller Q5?

Again...a rumour but from a pretty interesting source, this is why I mentioned it.

--

The third row on the Q7 is a must for US market. X5 has it, GL has it, R class has it...

SciFrog:
    The third row on the Q7 is a must for US market. X5 has it, GL has it, R class has it...

is it usable the 3rd row?comfortable or only kids could ?

--

The best 3rd row is in the GL. The Q7 is for big kids, or short trip for adults. The seats are the same as the 2nd row, the only difference is the floor height.

By the way, what is true is, the Bratislava factory where the Touareg, Cayenne, Q7 and Polo are made has dramatically reduced its output and they are even closed for few days. 

EricAlain:
    By the way, what is true is, the Bratislava factory where the Touareg, Cayenne, Q7 and Polo are made has dramatically reduced its output and they are even closed for few days. 

What is also true is that my former Audi dealer, not a very large one, has THREE Q7 on his used car lot and he couldn't sell them for the past three months, even at substantial price reductions. He NEVER had a used Q7 on his used car lot before.

The sales person told me that Q7 orders are currently non-existant, SUV interested customers are going for the Q5 or the A4 Avant, one size smaller in each case.

So maybe there is some truth in the rumor.  

--

A little sidenote: my Porsche dealer has one or two Cayenne Diesel available for immediate delivery but til now... Smiley

One of them costs 87000 EUR...OUCH. For this kind of money, I would rather buy a BMW 3.0sd I saw recently. 55000 EUR sticker price, lots of options, 11% immediate rebate.

So you get a slightly smaller SUV for 50000 EUR, fully loaded and with a much better performance. Of course it doesn't have the Porsche badge...(and the Audi engine). Smiley 

--

x2, definately wouldn't even thick about it twice, the X3 sd is much lighter, more powerful & much faster at a two thirds of the price...
    --

I went as a front seat passenger in a BMW X3 on a 300km trip a few weeks ago. It was one of the worst cars I travelled in. Too uncomfortable harsh ride, too tight space even at the front, a plasticky dash and nothing to make you feel you are in premium car. Perhaps the X3 is the worst medium SUV that is made today

Come on RC you knock everything Porsche makes and you are lusting over BMWs recently but comparing a Cayenne to an X3 is not right.  At least you could pick a Q5 for a cheaper comparison to the diesel Cayenne.

Anyway the 3lt Porsche diesel was born out of necessity which has been created by emission and consumption legislation and it shouldn't be discussed as a serious performance car. I am all for it because it will generate some sales that would otherwise go elsewhere, reduce Porsches average CO2, and help PAG make some money in these difficult times.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Guys,

I'm in the market for an suv diesel.My options are

1-cayenne(which i test drove.huge amount of tourke in the low revs)

2- cayenne ...

3-cayenne ...

i need a big,comfortable and low gas consumption  highway cruiser with tons of space.I considered the x5,the ml and q5.But i really like the cayenne.By saturday i will have my order placed.

Btw-I'm getting a disount of 12%.My dealer offered 20%  on any cayenne they have in stock(exept diesel).Thay have around 2 dozens of cayenne s,gts,turbo and turbo s awaiting for customers..

sertag:

Guys,

Btw-I'm getting a disount of 12%.My dealer offered 20%  on any cayenne they have in stock(exept diesel).Thay have around 2 dozens of cayenne s,gts,turbo and turbo s awaiting for customers..

Really??

but is an official Porsche dealer?

20% and 12% on Diesel is a lot of discount ....it is really interesting...have you trade in something?

thanks

--
    997 TT, what a car/che'mmmmmaghena!!!

really a lot...  6% over retiring used car near my city instead...
    --

Darius,

official dealer of course. They also have a brand new silver gt2 on the floor for 5 months...

the dealer started with a 9% percent discount on the diesel and we reached 12%...

i didn't have any trade ins,or else i would have got 9%. 

Incredible...let me think to buy something

--
    997 TT, what a car/che'mmmmmaghena!!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    809174 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    450562 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267880 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91067 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7908 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

888808 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    838134 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM