Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997 TT NEEDS MORE POWER

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I have no idea whether people drove Porsche's to work 20 years ago but if you have not noticed times have changed. More traffic, higher fuel costs, safety and more powerful high performance engines.
    It would be like taking a 997 to a put-put track. A total waste of resources and fuel.

Well Nick, I had the good fortune (good sense?) to buy a home where my daily drive to work takes me along great sportscar roads. So traffic is not an issue.

Despite today's high gas prices, I frankly doubt that fuel costs me a higher proportion of my disposable income than it did in the past. We've had to live with >3$-a-gallon gas for a long time here in Europe!

Safety? Well, I can understand your concern, you being a Ferrari driver. But as a Porsche driver, I can comfort myself with the knowledge that my car is state-of-the-art in terms of both active and passive safety.

Why should powerful engines cause problems in daily driving? With half-way intelligent use of your right foot, you can have as little power at your disposal as you ever want.

You're making the mistake of trying to apply the rules which govern your own life universally. It doesn't work.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    BTW, regarding the 996 outselling the the 997 I meant as of March 15th 2009 at 2:30;32 seconds pm Pacific time and cars sold to the universe public (including Martians) and not dealers.

So now we know just how seriously we can take any future claims you make relating to Porsche sales prospects. Correct that: We now know just how seriously we can take anything you say.

the reason that you drive a sportscar daily is bc....it takes a different type of driver thats willing to make the tradeoff of 20 minutes waiting.....for a goood onramp or corner, at least imo. The 911 is the car for this:) It just happens to also be the most accomplished racecar ever;)

Asto megale, exeis odigisei kai ta dio aftokinita??
    I happen to own a 996tt and drove a 360 f1 (with its owner as co passenger) along the same road one after the other. The 360 was so much worse than the 996t in everything except sound.. Less power, a lot less torque, worse grip, worse brakes, worse handling and balance, intrusive electronics, worse ride and you need to be Ari Vatanen to go near the limit of the car without risking your safety. (and I am talking uk B roads with traction, anything less would be suicide on the 360). Jeez it would take a quantum leap for any 360/430 derivative to approach the 996tt in everything. Sad really especially when to tt is essentially a reliable car thats a daily driver while the ferrari is anything but.. Anyway the 360 is the competitor of 997 tt just like the 355 was the competitor of 993tt and the 430 is the competitor of the 997tt.

Quote:
    C4S Co-Driver said:
    Honestly, people need to get over HP figures and 0-60 times. I'm not sure about the rest of you but I do more than race from 0-60 and brag about how much HP my car has.
    I would say that 60-120+ is way more applicable as most races I've encountered happen on the freeway. Plus I plan on spending a good portion of the driving my car above 60mph.

The new Turbo is going to be more than fast enough for just about everyone on this forum. If you go the NBR and set a new lap time equal to or below what the Porsche test drivers and magazines get, then you can complain. But until you prove that you can handle ONLY 473hp and 500+ lb-ft of torque, grow up and stop complaining.

How many people actually track their cars? I ask this because there are not too many public roads in the entire US where you're going to be able to safely exploit the full potential of this car. So why do you need more power? To brag to your friends? It sounds like you need a Ferrari or Lamborghini then.

Also you need to keep in mind that the Turbo is NOT the top performance Porsche. If you want insane performance go buy a GT2 or GT3. The Turbo is supposed to do everything well, including taking you to work everyday and run errands. I don't see many GT2s or GT3s doing that.

Honestly, do some of you have serious self esteem issues? No one is going to laugh at you in your new Turbo with only 475HP. Ferraris and Lambos wont' be able to touch you and you're going to be basically tied with a Z06. Go out and buy a Pagani Zonda if you really need more performance.

Most importantly, complaining about needing more HP in a car that you haven't driven is just stupid.

P.S. The Ford GT has 550hp, not 600hp.

First of all the Ford GT does have 600 HP not the 550 advertised by Ford. I know this because I have contemplated the purchase of one for a few months now. I believe it was Motor Trend that dynoed one and it was 600 HP. Also some of the GT Forum members have dynoed there cars and the number is 600. I have driven the GT and it is a Stellar Performer,Doubtful the new TT will be able to stay with it. I am going to have to wait until Porsche comes with the "S" or "X50" package because I want the 500+ HP, Thats just me you may be happy with 475HP or less, I will not. I have owned plenty of Exotics and I think at this stage of game the realized HP figures are important to sports car buyers.
    I don't have any self esteem issues I just know what I want.
    I guess we will wait and see how the new TT compares to its competition and if it out performs everyone then thats great. My guess is it won't outperform the Z06 which costs half as much.

Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:
    Quote:
    C4S Co-Driver said:
    Honestly, people need to get over HP figures and 0-60 times. I'm not sure about the rest of you but I do more than race from 0-60 and brag about how much HP my car has.
    I would say that 60-120+ is way more applicable as most races I've encountered happen on the freeway. Plus I plan on spending a good portion of the driving my car above 60mph.

The new Turbo is going to be more than fast enough for just about everyone on this forum. If you go the NBR and set a new lap time equal to or below what the Porsche test drivers and magazines get, then you can complain. But until you prove that you can handle ONLY 473hp and 500+ lb-ft of torque, grow up and stop complaining.

How many people actually track their cars? I ask this because there are not too many public roads in the entire US where you're going to be able to safely exploit the full potential of this car. So why do you need more power? To brag to your friends? It sounds like you need a Ferrari or Lamborghini then.

Also you need to keep in mind that the Turbo is NOT the top performance Porsche. If you want insane performance go buy a GT2 or GT3. The Turbo is supposed to do everything well, including taking you to work everyday and run errands. I don't see many GT2s or GT3s doing that.

Honestly, do some of you have serious self esteem issues? No one is going to laugh at you in your new Turbo with only 475HP. Ferraris and Lambos wont' be able to touch you and you're going to be basically tied with a Z06. Go out and buy a Pagani Zonda if you really need more performance.

Most importantly, complaining about needing more HP in a car that you haven't driven is just stupid.

First of all the Ford GT does have 600 HP not the 550 advertised by Ford. I know this because I have contemplated the purchase of one for a few months now. I believe it was Motor Trend that dynoed one and it was 600 HP. Also some of the GT Forum members have dynoed there cars and the number is 600. I have driven the GT and it is a Stellar Performer,Doubtful the new TT will be able to stay with it. I am going to have to wait until Porsche comes with the "S" or "X50" package because I want the 500+ HP, Thats just me you may be happy with 475HP or less, I will not. I have owned plenty of Exotics and I think at this stage of game the realized HP figures are important to sports car buyers.
    I guess we will wait and see how the new TT compares to its competition and if it out performs everyone then thats great. My guess is it won't outperform the Z06 which costs half as much.

Well, I would like to thank you for the information about the Ford GT. I didn't know that it was underrated.

Look, horsepower is important. But you're overvaluing it. Horsepower does not make a car great. Saying things like, "I want the 500+ HP, Thats just me you may be happy with 475HP or less, I will not", is childish at best. I seriously doubt you will be able to tell the difference between 475hp and 500hp. It's a 5% difference in hp. I'm pretty sure you just want to say that you're car has 500+hp and show off the Turbo S badge. I'm not going to stop you from buying a Turbo S. Do whatever you want. I just beg of you to stop measuring a cars performance by HP. It makes you look like you have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:
    Quote:
    C4S Co-Driver said:

You're totally right! For that kind of buck, you should get a lot more bang. It's not like Porsche can claim to be exclusive anymore. Their image has been totally watered down and it's going to get worse with the Panamera.

Waiting for the Turbo S is the right thing to do. What's the point in paying $150 and having to pay another $30k in mods just to keep up with the ZO6 in the real world.

Can you imagine how some Porschepile's ego is going to get deflated when a Z06 zooms right by him from 60-120mph on the freeway.

First: then: followed by:

Maybe then it will light the fire under some Porsche executive asses and they'll put out a turbo S with 550hp. And do it sooner than we think.

Quote:
    C4S Co-Driver said:
    Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:
    Quote:
    C4S Co-Driver said:

Well, I would like to thank you for the information about the Ford GT. I didn't know that it was underrated.

Look, horsepower is important. But you're overvaluing it. Horsepower does not make a car great. Saying things like, "I want the 500+ HP, Thats just me you may be happy with 475HP or less, I will not", is childish at best. I seriously doubt you will be able to tell the difference between 475hp and 500hp. It's a 5% difference in hp. I'm pretty sure you just want to say that you're car has 500+hp and show off the Turbo S badge. I'm not going to stop you from buying a Turbo S. Do whatever you want. I just beg of you to stop measuring a cars performance by HP. It makes you look like you have no idea what you're talking about.

Actually I'm Dead on with the HP thing. Let me educate you about performance, it comes down to Power to Weight in most instances when your talking about straightline performance. I have vast knowledge in this area and have spent countless thousands of dollars on HP. The New TT weighs 300 pounds more than the Z06 with less HP, so unless theres some magic potion in the TT I'm not aware of the TT will be beaten by the Z06 in the Quarter mile. Many forum members here don't care about straightline performance but I do and 500 HP not only sounds better it will propel the TT faster down the road. Now theres also a thing called Torque which plays a major factor as well.
    Hopefully the Engineering will overcome the Power to weight ratio.

I bet that Porsche could over-boost the engine to 750 hp, and charge $ 50k more than what they are going to charge for the 997tt. But, when you blow the engine Porsche should be able to prove that you had something to do with it. Then they'll do you a mutually agreed favor this one time, and replace your engine under warranty. Poor Porsche will be out $20 grand, but will still be up $30k. In a few years, Porsche will have enough cash to buy Toyota, as well as the rest of VW. Then again, maybe Porsche will be closing plants like GM & Ford.

jb

Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:
    Quote:
    C4S Co-Driver said:
    Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:
    Quote:
    C4S Co-Driver said:

Actually I'm Dead on with the HP thing. Let me educate you about performance, it comes down to Power to Weight in most instances when your talking about straightline performance. I have vast knowledge in this area and have spent countless thousands of dollars on HP. The New TT weighs 300 pounds more than the Z06 with less HP, so unless theres some magic potion in the TT I'm not aware of the TT will be beaten by the Z06 in the Quarter mile. Many forum members here don't care about straightline performance but I do and 500 HP not only sounds better it will propel the TT faster down the road. Now theres also a thing called Torque which plays a major factor as well.
    Hopefully the Engineering will overcome the Power to weight ratio.

Don't even try and lecture me on power to weight ratio. Look at the last thread I started. THIS THREAD Also, there is a difference between caring about straight line performance and using it to judge the entire car's performance. 500hp still isn't enough to give you an equal power to weight ratio. More importantly is the fact that the Z06 is still 300+ pounds lighter. Also, you of all people should know that the Z06 is underrated by around 50hp, so you're going to need to have roughly 597hp to have an equal power to weight ratio. I don't know what part of California you live in, I'm from Santa Barbara, but I have yet to find a place where every stop light is a race with a Z06.

I agree that we should wait and see what actually comes out..as far as expectations go I'm not sure why people are jumping all over those of us who expected 500hp or more,Porsche IS in fact going to do this so they agree with us that there is both a need and a market for it.
    They are just not ready yet...which is why waiting to see what comes out now makes sense.In the meantime I'll continue to drive my 2006 C4S to work (because I can!!!) It really does not have to be that if you dont like what Porsche puts out we should be bannished from Porsche land...
    BTW what people do with their cars, drive them to work, on the track or park them in a garage to polish and admire , or go to the local bar and brag is really up to those who can afford it and pay the money!

Quote:
    Can you imagine how some Porschepile's ego is going to get deflated when a Z06 zooms right by him from 60-120mph on the freewway?

LOL...I find the thought that a Corvette blowing by me while I'm sitting in my 911 Turbo would be a blow to my ego extreeeemely comical.

OTOH, I think if I owned a Corvette, just looking at a 911 Turbo might do the trick

To each his own. I think we all know that any of us buying a 911 Turbo could have a Z06 if we wanted...we just don't.

Quote:
    TX 911 said:
    Quote:
    Can you imagine how some Porschepile's ego is going to get deflated when a Z06 zooms right by him from 60-120mph on the freewway?

LOL...I find the thought that a Corvette blowing by me while I'm sitting in my 911 Turbo would be a blow to my ego extreeeemely comical.

OTOH, I think if I owned a Corvette, just looking at a 911 Turbo might do the trick

To each his own. I think we all know that any of us buying a 911 Turbo could have a Z06 if we wanted...we just don't.

I don't disagree with you however, statements such as these are absolutely no different than Nick's statements about cars and exclusivity. It's funny how some use this argument when a low-priced car can equal the performance of a higher priced vehicle. Not saying it's wrong... to each his own.

This reminds me of the comments people made about the Ferrari supercars after the Mclaren F1, everyone said that Ferrari should be able to make a car faster and more powerful than the F1. The point is that Ferrari, Porsche and Lamborghini do not need to make the most powerful or the fastest cars in a straight line, they sell very well regardless.

Quote:
    vinnie said:
    This reminds me of the comments people made about the Ferrari supercars after the Mclaren F1, everyone said that Ferrari should be able to make a car faster and more powerful than the F1. The point is that Ferrari, Porsche and Lamborghini do not need to make the most powerful or the fastest cars in a straight line, they sell very well regardless.

How much does the McLaren F1 cost? I really don't understand why people make such a big fuss about the new 997 Turbo and the power figure of 480 HP "only". I'm happy to get 60 HP more over the "old" 996 Turbo and still 30 HP more than the very fast Turbo S at slightly lower weight.

Yes, I agree...Porsche could have added a little bit more, especially in the times of a BMW M5, SL55 AMG, etc. But this is Porsche, they always had less power on the paper compared to other manufacturers but performance was always at par or better than the competition. Look at the 997 Carrera S with 355 HP and 20 mm chassis? It "smokes" the SL55, SL65 AMG, BMW M5, BMW M6, Ferrari F360 and other very powerful cars on the Nordschleife. Porsche sells a COMPLETE package, they sell cars which are suitable for driving on the track, driving to the restaurant at night with your loved one and even driving skiing to the mountains. Not to forget about the rear seats for two kids or additional luggage (two large Samsonites fit in there very well).

Now that is a good point. RC, I think your nickname stands for Really Clever ?

The new Turbo will rock hard !

Quote:
    RC said:
    Porsche sells a COMPLETE package, they sell cars which are suitable for driving on the track, driving to the restaurant at night with your loved one and even driving skiing to the mountains. Not to forget about the rear seats for two kids or additional luggage (two large Samsonites fit in there very well).

Very good point!
    It's the package that seduced me. I don't use my car on a daily basis, I use it for small trips, track days and big trips.
    On big trips, you have no idea how the girl is happy to fit her huge suitcase on the folded back seats!
    Yesterday, walking around Soho NYC, we came across a nice dark blue F430.
    she told me the 911 is dwarfed by the presence of the Ferrari.
    Well try fitting your vanity case in it ungrateful woman!
    That's it... Nick, I'm sending you her phone number.

PS: Granted, the Ferrari did look rather gorgeous.

having said that, seriously, the F430 (and F360) is a very well laid out sports car in terms of luggage space.
    The front boot is rather big although, oddly shaped and I'm pretty sure you could fit a big Samsonite behind the rear seats, provided you don't opt for the sound package (sub woofer, very cleverly placed between the seats!)

Re: 997 TT needs more power

Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:
    I think the new TT should have at least 550 HP Minimun. I don't think 480 HP is going to get it. The new Z06 has 535 HP not the 505 advertised. the Ford GT has 600 HP. I sold my 03 TT a year ago and I have my name in for a new 997 TT when available. I really like the TT and I want to buy the new one but it better be Quicker and Faster than the Z06 or Porsche has serious problems. Personally anything under 500 HP from the start is a mistake. I think the TT is one of the best engineered cars on the road and I loved my 03 TT, But I'm not going to be happy unless this new TT kicks ass. I am not bashing the new TT I will own one but hopefully with a X50 Package having 550 HP. The new ferrari GTB will have 620 HP. I dont want to be negative, I'm just not sure of the reasoning.

Dear twinturbo001,

We've had discussions like this before regarding what car is faster ot better or.....

But it gets to a point that this type of posts become very redundant, boring to read and to look at. I'm personally proud that GM finally came up with a true sports car (questionable?) but we all love Porsche and that's why we're here.

To us it doesn't matter if Corvette is third the price or half the price of a Porsche, majority of people here own more than one or two Porsche and money is no object to them.

What really matters in rennteam is that we are all bunch of adults that can carry on civil conversation and have a great time meanwhile we learn from one another about cars and in particular Porsche.

We never bash other makes and pretend we're the best and I'm sure this comes with maturity and age.

I have no doubt in my mind that there are Corvette sites that you can share your point of view with other members and receive positive feed back but rennteam won't be the place for it.

Enjoy your Z06, it's fine car.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781424 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442704 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263420 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261772 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85890 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5948 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881535 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819263 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM