Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997 TT needs more power

I think the new TT should have at least 550 HP Minimun. I don't think 480 HP is going to get it. The new Z06 has 535 HP not the 505 advertised. the Ford GT has 600 HP. I sold my 03 TT a year ago and I have my name in for a new 997 TT when available. I really like the TT and I want to buy the new one but it better be Quicker and Faster than the Z06 or Porsche has serious problems. Personally anything under 500 HP from the start is a mistake. I think the TT is one of the best engineered cars on the road and I loved my 03 TT, But I'm not going to be happy unless this new TT kicks ass. I am not bashing the new TT I will own one but hopefully with a X50 Package having 550 HP. The new ferrari GTB will have 620 HP. I dont want to be negative, I'm just not sure of the reasoning.

Re: 997 TT NEEDS MORE POWER

Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:
    I think the new TT should have at least 550 HP Minimun. I don't think 480 HP is going to get it. The new Z06 has 535 HP not the 505 advertised. the Ford GT has 600 HP. I sold my 03 TT a year ago and I have my name in for a new 997 TT when available. I really like the TT and I want to buy the new one but it better be Quicker and Faster than the Z06 or Porsche has serious problems. Personally anything under 500 HP from the start is a mistake. I think the TT is one of the best engineered cars on the road and I loved my 03 TT, But I'm not going to be happy unless this new TT kicks ass. I am not bashing the new TT I will own one but hopefully with a X50 Package having 550 HP. The new ferrari GTB will have 620 HP. I dont want to be negative, I'm just not sure of the reasoning.

First, welcome to the board! Always glad to see new faces.

Second, please use paragraphs, they're much easier to read.

Third, browse the forum and look at what the new car is actually offering in terms of turbocharger technology and the performance this technology brings.

Fourth, the GTB is not a competitor for the 997TT; that would the be 430.

Fifth, it will at least match the C6Z performance, don't worry about it. The Ford GT on the other hand isn't its competitor.

Sixth, the 996 Turbo S beats both the F430 and the new M6 in the straights, so think about what the new car will do.

7th 3.6l turbo isnt exacly 4.3l athmospheric, more like 6l,

people quit comparing porsches and ferraris that are in the same price range. at the moment there is no ferrari to compare with porsche on an fair honest performance level.In the future maybe 997 gt3 rs ws 430 cs, but curently 430>997 carrera s and 599gtb > 997 turbo.

Quote:
    arakis said:
    7th 3.6l turbo isnt exacly 4.3l athmospheric, more like 6l,

people quit comparing porsches and ferraris that are in the same price range. at the moment there is no ferrari to compare with porsche on an fair honest performance level.In the future maybe 997 gt3 rs ws 430 cs, but curently 430>997 carrera s and 599gtb > 997 turbo.

Arakis tilezre malakas

430 and the 997 carrera is not a comparison.

The 430 can be compared to 997 turbo

The 599 and the 612 cannot be compared to any other Porsche

Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:

Welcome aboard,

I (1) agree and (2) disagree:
    (1) The 997TT (as did the 996TT) will be factory-limited well below its power reserves with the benefit being tremendous reliability, but a 550-600 peak HP version would be great for Porsche to make which would smoke just about everything out there-but this isn't necessarily as profitable for the company (greater warranty service issues and only drivers like us demand it so not worth it for them to market it).

(2) Even at 480PS/473bhp, the base TT (and with the "S" possibly at 510-525PS/500-520bhp), the 997TT will still be very fast, faster than the ZO6 (except perhaps in the straightline).

BUT this is where a simple ECU flash can come in, stay with rennteam, and I'm sure we'll have good info. on tuners' products promptly, since many senior members here have orders for 997TT's at launch, and at least some of them are into the aftermarket.

Keep in mind that all ECU mods will VOID the warranty of your car.
    Why is everyone so fixed on a Turbo S with rougly 5% more power, you will hardly notice the difference.

Quote:
    CF said:
    Why is everyone so fixed on a Turbo S with rougly 5% more power, you will hardly notice the difference.

Yes,

I am well aware of the warranty hazard-so any mod. needs to be weighed against your desire for more power, your risk of loss of warranty-covered service, and your dealer's cooperability with you. All the more reason to wish for a factory-run tuning program.

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Quote:
    CF said:

Yes,

I am well aware of the warranty hazard-so any mod. needs to be weighed against your desire for more power, your risk of loss of warranty-covered service, and your dealer's cooperability with you. All the more reason to wish for a factory-run tuning program.

amen, it definately would be nice to have something like Toyota has with its TRD. Dealer installed performance options that come with a warranty. Porsche definately needs this

I think straightline performance is important. If the new 997 TT isn't as fast or faster then the Z06 0-60 or in the Quarter mile then I think its a mistake for Porsche. They should at least offer some type of factory option that accomplishes this.

Quote:
    sdy284 said:
    Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Quote:
    CF said:

Yes,

amen, it definately would be nice to have something like Toyota has with its TRD. Dealer installed performance options that come with a warranty. Porsche definately needs this

Isn't this called a "power kit"

Quote:
    FSU-997S said:
    Quote:
    sdy284 said:
    Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Quote:
    CF said:

Yes,

hehe, well yes, but i'm talking about the ability to pick out specific performance parts...ie: headers, mufflers, intake, lowering springs, strut tower brace, etc etc. Not just a powerkit for $16k or whatever it is for like 30 hp

I'm talking about a more customizable service

i think we better wait for the official numbers before talking about a power kit ,i have a feeling the numbers will be devastating...

Quote:
    FSU-997S said:
    Quote:
    sdy284 said:
    Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Quote:
    CF said:

Yes,

Yes, BUT...a powerkit that (along with other mods. sponsored by the factory well alluded to by sdy284) jumps power, not by 30bhp, but by 130bhp.

I drove some earlier 996 Turbos (2001 and 2002) and currently own a Turbo S. I believe there is a noticable difference between the two.

Could be the additional torque or the fact that the late 996 Powerkit engines/Turbo S engines are all relatively "healthy" and deliver more than the advertised 450 horses. However, I also noticed an increased turbo lag which makes sense due to the larger chargers.

I don't care whether the car is called Turbo or Turbo S as long as it delivers in the performance department.

Whether the incremental performance will be worth the additional money is highly subjective. In principle, I hate this policy but I also can't blame Porsche that I don't have myself under control when it comes to ticking the boxes on the order sheet

OAB

The decision for my Turbo S was based on the fact that I wanted PCCB (standard in S model) and Porsche offered me a good deal on the car so additional cost of Powerkit was substantially lower than

I feel that many of you are too horny on the 500hp number. Why be so fixated with horse power? I think that the car is fast enough. 0-100km/h in 3.9 seconds if alot faster than the Gallardo and F430. Bare in mind that the PDK tranny will decrease the acceleration time even further.

Not to mention the Turbo S which will set the bar even higher when it comes to performance. Yes cars like the Z06 has more power and it a lot cheaper but who cares, people still love the 911 Turbo more.

On top of that Porsche don't want to be disrespectful towards CGT and 996 GT2 owners by producing a 997TT which totally humiliates them.

Honestly, people need to get over HP figures and 0-60 times. I'm not sure about the rest of you but I do more than race from 0-60 and brag about how much HP my car has. I would say that 60-120+ is way more applicable as most races I've encountered happen on the freeway. Plus I plan on spending a good portion of the driving my car above 60mph.

The new Turbo is going to be more than fast enough for just about everyone on this forum. If you go the NBR and set a new lap time equal to or below what the Porsche test drivers and magazines get, then you can complain. But until you prove that you can handle ONLY 473hp and 500+ lb-ft of torque, grow up and stop complaining.

How many people actually track their cars? I ask this because there are not too many public roads in the entire US where you're going to be able to safely exploit the full potential of this car. So why do you need more power? To brag to your friends? It sounds like you need a Ferrari or Lamborghini then.

Also you need to keep in mind that the Turbo is NOT the top performance Porsche. If you want insane performance go buy a GT2 or GT3. The Turbo is supposed to do everything well, including taking you to work everyday and run errands. I don't see many GT2s or GT3s doing that.

Honestly, do some of you have serious self esteem issues? No one is going to laugh at you in your new Turbo with only 475HP. Ferraris and Lambos wont' be able to touch you and you're going to be basically tied with a Z06. Go out and buy a Pagani Zonda if you really need more performance.

Most importantly, complaining about needing more HP in a car that you haven't driven is just stupid.

P.S. The Ford GT has 550hp, not 600hp.

....If the 997 Turbo accelerated as fast as the bugatti; but was rated at 450 HP, i think everyone would still complain; u just cant satisfy ppl, nobody has driven it yet and complaints!!!

Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:

Oh boy, I would love to name this theard "PEOPLE NEED MORE BRAINS" but I'm afraid this wouldn't help much.

OK, I try to make my point in the broken english I'm speaking (writing):
    1. I would love the 997 Turbo to have 1000 HP or why not 2000, so we never have to worry again about power?
    2. the car isn't even on the market yet and people make comparisons, cancel orders, love it, hate it, etc. Funny...like chasing a ghost.
    3. the 997 Turbo is indeed Porsche's TOP model BUT only as a basis for other cars. There will be a powerkit available, there will be a 997 Turbo S available and there will be, very likely, a GT2 available and maybe even a supersportscar based on he 997 Turbo called GT1.
    4. the Ford GT has just been reviewed in SPORT AUTO on the Nordschleife and in Hockenheim, the results are not impressive for such a powerful car, sorry.
    5. the Corvette Z06 has NOT been tested by SPORT AUTO yet, I also haven't seen ANY RELIABLE or OFFICIAL track time for the Z06, so all this gossip and these rumors floating around the internet are a bag full of crap if you ask me.

Now based on the five points I made, WHY should Porsche put 550 HP in the 997 Turbo if 480 HP (473 HP US?) are apparently enough to keep the competition under "control"? ONLY in the US, the Z06 may be considered a serious competitor, in Europe and the rest of the world, the Corvette is more of an outsider with that "old" reputation which will be difficult to get rid of, Germans and Europeans know what I'm talking about.

Porsche wants to earn money, this has to be clear. They don't have anything to give away for free. So earning more cash with a powerkit, the Turbo S, the GT2 and so on is Porsche tradition. You want the fastest available Porsche? Wait for the GT2 or get the rumored GT1. Too expensive? Bad luck.

And finally, I have my personal experience with people who are driving high power cars and demand more and more power. Half of them are little kids waiting for red light races. But when it comes to serious racing with lots of nasty twists and turns, they start to whine or pee in the pants like we say here. Litte kids like I said. Then, there are those who just want to have more power in their cars to be able to say "look, I have 900 HP under the hood, kiss my a..". Then, there are those who think they are good drivers and have everything under control but blowing away some low power BMWs, Mercedes and don't know what on the track doesn't mean they're good drivers, this means that they have more power under the hood and in the case of the 911 Turbo more traction. And finally, there are those who really know how to drive these babies at the limit and usually don't complaint too much about power but other little things like chassis setups, tires, etc. And if they demand more power, it usually is in the 30-40 HP range to make the whole experience perfect. And of course there are drivers who know their limits and capabilitie and are happy that they're able to own and move one of the finest sportscars around. I know that I'm using a lot of stereotypes but a thread like "997 TT NEEDS MORE POWER" or "I NEED TO EARN MORE MONEY" or "MY GOVERNMENT SUCKS" or "THE SKY ISN'T BLUE ENOUGH" demands the usage of stereotypes.

Guys, just relax: if you don't want to get a Turbo now (and I bet a lot of people won't get one now even if they want or have the money), don't get it and wait. Or get something else, get a facelifted Murcielago with 620 HP, I heard that this car will be a blast. Or wait for the F430 Challenge Stradale, it should be a very nice product too. But please stop bragging about the 997 Turbo, a car which isn't even on the market yet.

And as a last point: the Nuerburgring Nordschleife track time for the 997 Turbo is rumored around 7:50 or even a second or two below. The Ford GT did 7:54 on the Nordschleife as far as I remember. Do I need to say more?

If you're looking for a car to win red light races or to win the hearts of some drunken fellows with impressive sounding HP power figures at the next bar, the 997 Turbo is definetely the wrong car for you. If you're looking for a WHOLE PACKAGE, a technically very refined one, the 997 Turbo may be what you're looking for.

And a last word: I'm not THAT MUCH a Porsche addict that I don't understand the demand for more power. Like I said before, I would love to see more power in the 997 Turbo too. But before we start to make the 997 Turbo look bad, we should wait until we see the first reviews. Trust me if I tell you that I'm going to be the FIRST one to criticize Porsche and the 997 Turbo if the car isn't up to the expectations I had and still have about this car.

But I'm realistic and I know that Porsche wants to make money with the powerkit, the Turbo S and so on. IF the 997 Turbo has a similar performance (straight line) like the 996 GT2 MkII, I'll be a happy owner. IF the 997 Turbo does 7:50 or even less on the Nordschleife and 1:12 or even less on the Kleiner Ring Hockenheim, I'll be a happy owner. Everything BETTER than these expectations isn't realistic. So if you're a person with both feet on the ground, you shouldn't expect more from the 997 Turbo. And if not...well, like I said before, bad luck.

Quote:
    luwalira said:
    I feel that many of you are too horny on the 500hp number. Why be so fixated with horse power? I think that the car is fast enough. 0-100km/h in 3.9 seconds if alot faster than the Gallardo and F430. Bare in mind that the PDK tranny will decrease the acceleration time even further.

Not to mention the Turbo S which will set the bar even higher when it comes to performance. Yes cars like the Z06 has more power and it a lot cheaper but who cares, people still love the 911 Turbo more.

On top of that Porsche don't want to be disrespectful towards CGT and 996 GT2 owners by producing a 997TT which totally humiliates them.

Totally true.
    Also,i think that 480hp are more than enough for normal roads.Maybe not for the Autobahn but when trees are like 30cm from the road,you better not make a mistake.

Quote:
    C4S Co-Driver said:
    Honestly, people need to get over HP figures and 0-60 times. I'm not sure about the rest of you but I do more than race from 0-60 and brag about how much HP my car has. I would say that 60-120+ is way more applicable as most races I've encountered happen on the freeway. Plus I plan on spending a good portion of the driving my car above 60mph.

The new Turbo is going to be more than fast enough for just about everyone on this forum. If you go the NBR and set a new lap time equal to or below what the Porsche test drivers and magazines get, then you can complain. But until you prove that you can handle ONLY 473hp and 500+ lb-ft of torque, grow up and stop complaining.

How many people actually track their cars? I ask this because there are not too many public roads in the entire US where you're going to be able to safely exploit the full potential of this car. So why do you need more power? To brag to your friends? It sounds like you need a Ferrari or Lamborghini then.

Also you need to keep in mind that the Turbo is NOT the top performance Porsche. If you want insane performance go buy a GT2 or GT3. The Turbo is supposed to do everything well, including taking you to work everyday and run errands. I don't see many GT2s or GT3s doing that.

Honestly, do some of you have serious self esteem issues? No one is going to laugh at you in your new Turbo with only 475HP. Ferraris and Lambos wont' be able to touch you and you're going to be basically tied with a Z06. Go out and buy a Pagani Zonda if you really need more performance.

Most importantly, complaining about needing more HP in a car that you haven't driven is just stupid.

P.S. The Ford GT has 550hp, not 600hp.

My sentiments exactly

997tt is already bloody fast. And i doubt its competitors can out corner it on the track.

Quote:
    C4S Co-Driver said:

With the exception of your references to Ferrari and Lambo I agree with much of what you wrote. However, what I find puzzling is how people justify their TT purchase by claiming its good for everyday drivng, has a back seat to put my kids in and use it for work.

Why would anyone think driving a 480 hp TT at a cost of about $150,000 is an everyday and work car? To sit in traffic with that car is insane. You could have comfort, safety and economy in many cars for far less money. More insane is to put kids in the back with their knees up against their chin and try to show what the car can do. Totally irresponsible and in my view borderline criminal.

Cars of this type are to be used in the right situations and at the right time. They are not everyday cars and certainly not cars for children. A sport car is about performance and to be used as such. This applies to Porsche's, Ferrari's and any other elite sport car. Every time I see someone drivng a recent model Porsche dressed in a suit going to work I shutter. Why would someone drive a high performance sport car to work.?.

Quote:
    nberry said:Why would someone drive a high performance sport car to work.?.

I do it all the time

Spoken like a true Ferrari owner

Quote:
    gbj said:

Maybe we know something Porschephiles have difficulty grasping. You don't play football in your Sunday suit.

Mike, why am I not surprised?

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:Why would someone drive a high performance sport car to work.?.

I do it all the time

If you include a 911 as a "high performance sports car", been doing it for 20 years. Where's the problem?

I have no idea whether people drove Porsche's to work 20 years ago but if you have not noticed times have changed. More traffic, higher fuel costs, safety and more powerful high performance engines.

It would be like taking a 997 to a put-put track. A total waste of resources and fuel.

BTW, regarding the 996 outselling the the 997 I meant as of March 15th 2009 at 2:30;32 seconds pm Pacific time and cars sold to the universe public (including Martians) and not dealers.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Why would someone drive a high performance sport car to work.?.

Why would somebody buy a high performance sports car & be scared of putting to many miles on it?

and... somebody who has the means to purchase such a high performance machine, surely has the means to pay for the resources to run it.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    gbj said:

Maybe we know something Porschephiles have difficulty grasping. You don't play football in your Sunday suit.

Maybe the Porschephiles know something that the Ferrari-ites dont: Buy a Sunday suit you can wear, not just look at

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    C4S Co-Driver said:

With the exception of your references to Ferrari and Lambo I agree with much of what you wrote. However, what I find puzzling is how people justify their TT purchase by claiming its good for everyday drivng, has a back seat to put my kids in and use it for work.

Why would anyone think driving a 480 hp TT at a cost of about $150,000 is an everyday and work car? To sit in traffic with that car is insane. You could have comfort, safety and economy in many cars for far less money. More insane is to put kids in the back with their knees up against their chin and try to show what the car can do. Totally irresponsible and in my view borderline criminal.

Cars of this type are to be used in the right situations and at the right time. They are not everyday cars and certainly not cars for children. A sport car is about performance and to be used as such. This applies to Porsche's, Ferrari's and any other elite sport car. Every time I see someone drivng a recent model Porsche dressed in a suit going to work I shutter. Why would someone drive a high performance sport car to work.?.

About the Ferrari and Lamborghini comment, I wasn't trying to say that they are for people who only care about appearance. Ferraris and Lamborghinis have earned their badges and they're great cars. But there are still a large portion of people who buy them solely for image purposes. And since a lot of members seem to want to buy a car that everyone within 200ft knows is brimming with performance, I think the Italians may be a better choice. I would certainly take a F430 over a Turbo but that's because I'm in love with the Spider after watching the following video: CLICK HERE Anyways, I think that the Italians and the Turbo are going to be very close in performance. If one car is .1 second faster in 0-60 that doesn't mean anything. Don't be fooled by lap times at the NBR either. You're never going to race anyone around that track (unless you go to Germany) and public roads shouldn't be treated like a race track. I do think that the Turbo is more versatile than the Italians, but it doesn't give you the bespoke feeling of an Italian supercar, something you just can't beat.

Seriously people, if you complain about a car not having enough horsepower (especially when it has 470+hp) and you haven't even driven it, you should not be buying a sports car. You should go spend your money elsewhere because probably you're going to end up wrapped around a tree after trying to get your car to drift on a two lane switchback road because the car "only" has 473hp and things can't get out of control when you're car is so underpowered. (that's sarcasm for those who missed it)

nberry, this part is in regards to your comment about why anyone would buy a Turbo and use it as an everyday car. One reason behind using a Turbo to drive to work is that not all people can afford another car on top of the Turbo. $130K+ is a lot of money. Sure, you could buy a Continental GT for roughly the same price but when the weekend rolls around and you want to go to the track or your favorite back roads, the Bentley is not exactly the best car for the twisty stuff. It weighs in at over 5,200lbs. You could always buy a Z06 and a 5 series for roughly the same price. But I know I would take the Turbo over those two any day of the week. The Turbo has decent suspension for everyday driving, and it's fairly comfortable. If you're single, you don't really need a back seat. I think the Turbo is a very manageable sports car. Yes, it's fast as hell but it has a lot of stuff added for comfort and safety. The Turbo is a workhorse. It does everything reasonably well, especially considering all the performance it has.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781484 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442714 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263423 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261790 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85912 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5959 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881546 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819313 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM