Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: E55 AMG - 300 kph (188 mph)

Merc has a very good clientele service IMO.
    Bilal, re the S600, we have one (the 500hp one), and honestly, it's not that much fun, took it out for a drive again last time I was in Paris, and it's not really my idea of a fun car, completely inert. ESP at 50 kmh when flooring the pedal.
    As for the suspension I don't like them, but only because I like sports cars in the first place, and in the S600, it's like driving a carpet at all times.
    It fits its purpose very well, a very fast very comfortable limo.
    My father thourghly enjoys it.
    You wouldn't (if you're a sports car enthousiast), I don't, and most of our member wouldn't, again, as a sports car of course.
    On the motorway, it's supreme! Absolutely silent, great sound system, nice comfy seats.
    I know I posted pics of the car when we get it, but honestly, it doesn't even belong to this forum.
    The S55AMG would I suppose. More sporty in its approach.
    Fanch.
    PS: for the pleasure http://www.rennteam.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=7453&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

Fanch what you described is basically the driving aspect of any Mercedes. They all have numb steering Of course they're not drivers cars, not in any aspect, they never will, since feelsome steering is all thats required to make a night and day difference. But Mercedes cars are up there in there own little world, that comparison to any other car is pointless and irrelevant, at least in my opinion.

As for sports cars, I know a Lotus Elise is waaay more fun than possibly even an SLR!. The feelsome and very accurate steering, toe sensitive throttle response, manual gearbox and very lightweight, it all makes for one hellofa car.

But then you look at the bad points such as degrading build quality, interior rattles, hard ride, shocking unreliability, and daily usability, and in that aspect, its a complete waste of money.

But the Mercedes doesn't have that driving pleasure and it scores points in all the other categories. And you very well know about UK roads, and how "smooth" they are. And then the "real world choice" points to a Mercedes-Benz. Its just a complete package.

I guess I have been spoiled by driving around in comfortable Mercedes cars that I feel every other car is inferior, I don't know why.

Although I am certain that when I get a chance to afford such cars, I would always have a top of the line Mercedes or AMG coupled with either a GT3 or a GT2 if I could, I really would. That way you get to enjoy both sides and everyone is happy. I'm not as inert and usless when it comes to choosing the right car for the job as many of you think you know

Fanch what you described is basically the driving aspect of any Mercedes. They all have numb steering Of course they're not drivers cars, not in any aspect, they never will, since feelsome steering is all thats required to make a night and day difference. But Mercedes cars are up there in there own little world, that comparison to any other car is pointless and irrelevant, at least in my opinion.

As for sports cars, I know a Lotus Elise is waaay more fun than possibly even an SLR!. The feelsome and very accurate steering, toe sensitive throttle response, manual gearbox and very lightweight, it all makes for one hellofa car.

But then you look at the bad points such as degrading build quality, interior rattles, hard ride, shocking unreliability, and daily usability, and in that aspect, its a complete waste of money.

But the Mercedes doesn't have that driving pleasure and it scores points in all the other categories. And you very well know about UK roads, and how "smooth" they are. And then the "real world choice" points to a Mercedes-Benz. Its just a complete package.

I guess I have been spoiled by driving around in comfortable Mercedes cars that I feel every other car is inferior, I don't know why.

Although I am certain that when I get a chance to afford such cars, I would always have a top of the line Mercedes or AMG coupled with either a GT3 or a GT2 if I could, I really would. That way you get to enjoy both sides and everyone is happy. I'm not as inert and usless when it comes to choosing the right car for the job as many of you think you know

As for RC,

http://www.rennteam.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=7325&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

its not much, but BOY am I gonna hold that against you!

As for RC,

http://www.rennteam.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=7325&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

Bilal,
    I completely agree with you, money no object and say I'd have to go for two cars only, I'd take an SL55AMGPP (PP for performance Pack) for everyday driving, and a nice track car for pleasure like a GT3RS or even a Carrera GT
    Now of course, the choice of the everyday car is subjective, but if you're gonna do lots of city driving, then an Auto gear box makes sense. I love the SL styling but you could replace it by a Cayenne Turbo I guess.
    Now, a Cayenne Turbo for everyday, and Carrera GT for the track, humm, I wonder what kind of lucky ba....d has such a nice combo?
    Were are you CF?
    Fanch.
    PS: And yes, you're right, my father really doesn't give a s.... about cars, the S600 was my choice, but he does enjoy humiliating 911 and 360 on the motorway I guess you could call that fun. That's history now on french motorways (Automatic radars everywhere, watch out guys!)

Bilal,
    I completely agree with you, money no object and say I'd have to go for two cars only, I'd take an SL55AMGPP (PP for performance Pack) for everyday driving, and a nice track car for pleasure like a GT3RS or even a Carrera GT
    Now of course, the choice of the everyday car is subjective, but if you're gonna do lots of city driving, then an Auto gear box makes sense. I love the SL styling but you could replace it by a Cayenne Turbo I guess.
    Now, a Cayenne Turbo for everyday, and Carrera GT for the track, humm, I wonder what kind of lucky ba....d has such a nice combo?
    Were are you CF?
    Fanch.
    PS: And yes, you're right, my father really doesn't give a s.... about cars, the S600 was my choice, but he does enjoy humiliating 911 and 360 on the motorway I guess you could call that fun. That's history now on french motorways (Automatic radars everywhere, watch out guys!)

Quote:
    As for RC,

I never said the S600 is slow.
    What it looses in curves, it gains on straights.

Quote:
    As for RC,

I never said the S600 is slow.
    What it looses in curves, it gains on straights.

Quote:
    and as for the ABC settings, this is what they said...when I contacted AMG from our dealership...

Dear Mr. Siddiqui,

please find now the desired prices for the modification of the S 600 suspension

for the S 55 AMG:

Material (4x ABC springs) EUR 3.360,00

Installation EUR 410,00

Suspension electronic alignment EUR 120,00

TÜV approvement EUR 100,00

Prices netto, without VAT !

Kind regards,

Mercedes-AMG GmbH

Dino Ernst

Verkauf Signature Series & Manufaktur

Mercedes-AMG GmbH

Daimlerstrasse 1

D - 71563 Affalterbach

Internet: www.mercedes-benz.com/amg

I'm afraid Mr. Ernst misunderstood you.
    This is exactly the cost if you want to modify a S 600 to the S55 Nuerburgring Sport Suspension.
    But maybe I'm wrong and AMG really offers "down-tuning" (which I still doubt but everything is possible).
    If true, this would disappoint me very very much. It doesn't make sense at all.

Quote:
    and as for the ABC settings, this is what they said...when I contacted AMG from our dealership...

Dear Mr. Siddiqui,

please find now the desired prices for the modification of the S 600 suspension

for the S 55 AMG:

Material (4x ABC springs) EUR 3.360,00

Installation EUR 410,00

Suspension electronic alignment EUR 120,00

TÜV approvement EUR 100,00

Prices netto, without VAT !

Kind regards,

Mercedes-AMG GmbH

Dino Ernst

Verkauf Signature Series & Manufaktur

Mercedes-AMG GmbH

Daimlerstrasse 1

D - 71563 Affalterbach

Internet: www.mercedes-benz.com/amg

I'm afraid Mr. Ernst misunderstood you.
    This is exactly the cost if you want to modify a S 600 to the S55 Nuerburgring Sport Suspension.
    But maybe I'm wrong and AMG really offers "down-tuning" (which I still doubt but everything is possible).
    If true, this would disappoint me very very much. It doesn't make sense at all.

Quote:

Bilal, I'm currently in the process to get rid of my E55.
    As fast as it is, as luxurious it feels, as refined it might be and as good it might look, it is no car for me. I need a car with a soul, a car to challenge me, a car to match my spiritual senses and a car to make me feel happy when I drive it.
    The E55 is a great sports limousine and probably the best buy regarding a AMG Mercedes right now. Add a limited slipp differential to it and it is fun to drive. But it is no Porsche.

I am a Porsche man, I can't help it and because of the family I'll go for a Cayenne Turbo and when the 997 Turbo shows up in around 3 years, I'll get one of the first.

I really tried hard to love the E55 but it is like a relationship with a woman: she might be beautiful, she might be good in other things but if the stomach doesn't feel like a thousand bees humming around in it, it isn't the right woman to spend the whole life with her. I'll be sad to give away my E55 but I'm happy I go back to the Porsche world. We still have the ML55 AMG and the SLK32 AMG to enjoy Mercedes cars too but a Porsche is for the soul, the body and the brain.

Quote:

Bilal, I'm currently in the process to get rid of my E55.
    As fast as it is, as luxurious it feels, as refined it might be and as good it might look, it is no car for me. I need a car with a soul, a car to challenge me, a car to match my spiritual senses and a car to make me feel happy when I drive it.
    The E55 is a great sports limousine and probably the best buy regarding a AMG Mercedes right now. Add a limited slipp differential to it and it is fun to drive. But it is no Porsche.

I am a Porsche man, I can't help it and because of the family I'll go for a Cayenne Turbo and when the 997 Turbo shows up in around 3 years, I'll get one of the first.

I really tried hard to love the E55 but it is like a relationship with a woman: she might be beautiful, she might be good in other things but if the stomach doesn't feel like a thousand bees humming around in it, it isn't the right woman to spend the whole life with her. I'll be sad to give away my E55 but I'm happy I go back to the Porsche world. We still have the ML55 AMG and the SLK32 AMG to enjoy Mercedes cars too but a Porsche is for the soul, the body and the brain.

If its EXACTLY the cost, then I guess you're right. Jeeze I even said make S55 suspension "softer" but there you go.

If its EXACTLY the cost, then I guess you're right. Jeeze I even said make S55 suspension "softer" but there you go.

Quote:

As I said, maybe I'm wrong but AMG offers a Nuerburgring Suspension (same as S55 version) for the S500 and S600.
    Maybe you should ask again or I can do it for you too. I know Mr. Ernst pretty well, he's a very very nice guy.

Quote:

As I said, maybe I'm wrong but AMG offers a Nuerburgring Suspension (same as S55 version) for the S500 and S600.
    Maybe you should ask again or I can do it for you too. I know Mr. Ernst pretty well, he's a very very nice guy.

Quote:

Then perhaps you should investigate a Lexus LS430. It will suit you.

How does the A-class ride compared to the S-class? I don't know, as they don't sell them in the U.S.

Quote:

How does the A-class ride compared to the S-class? I don't know, as they don't sell them in the U.S.

Merc can fit any option, downgrading wouldn't surprise me.

I can see why this would disappoint you RC bc you are a sports car enthousiast but I think this is good from Merc.
    They are basically saying that the client is king and can get whatever he wants even if it means downtuning.
    Fanch.
    PS: Talking about avalaible options, an unfortunate event happened yesterday. My mother was picking up someone at gare du Nord in Paris (Eurostar terminal, doudgy area guys, don't hang around there with a nice car) and it all happened in five seconds, two young "racailles" broke the passenger window of the SL with a brick and stole the handbag. Don't worry, she is safe.
    How does this relate to the topic, well, the Merc is now at our dealership and being fitted with bulletproof unbreakable windows.
    I know, completely OTT, but she's a woman, is only concerned by style (hence why she is not giving it up) and now scared, understandable. And yes, it does add an incredible amount of weight, but there you go...
    My point is: You want it, Mec will fit it.

Merc can fit any option, downgrading wouldn't surprise me.

I can see why this would disappoint you RC bc you are a sports car enthousiast but I think this is good from Merc.
    They are basically saying that the client is king and can get whatever he wants even if it means downtuning.
    Fanch.
    PS: Talking about avalaible options, an unfortunate event happened yesterday. My mother was picking up someone at gare du Nord in Paris (Eurostar terminal, doudgy area guys, don't hang around there with a nice car) and it all happened in five seconds, two young "racailles" broke the passenger window of the SL with a brick and stole the handbag. Don't worry, she is safe.
    How does this relate to the topic, well, the Merc is now at our dealership and being fitted with bulletproof unbreakable windows.
    I know, completely OTT, but she's a woman, is only concerned by style (hence why she is not giving it up) and now scared, understandable. And yes, it does add an incredible amount of weight, but there you go...
    My point is: You want it, Mec will fit it.

Quote:
    Quote:

Well a Lexus is a toyota.

And as for A-class ride. You ever been in a Porsche? Take away the power, fit harder suspension, or better yet, remove all springs. add numb and 3.4 turns lock to lock steering, fit a 1.7CDI 90bhp diesel engine, give it an auto box, and perhaps you'll understand. This is a car that has made me sick of rattles, due to the hard ride or build quality or a combo of both. And it has made me vow never to buy another hard riding car again. When I hear a car has a firm ride in a road test, I usually turn the page. My dad's E-class rides much much better, although its is out of date and inferior to the magnificent S-class we have today..

RC, its cool that you kow him, please ask and confirm this. He did reply before and said that this is a technical question and we haev to talk to our AMG technical shop. I asked if this issue would be possible under AMG Unique Manufacturing, so it may be possible. And also, the 600's have more torque and power than the 55's, so if anything, tecnically unsafe issues shouldn't be a problem. I think teh brakes are also similar on the 55's vs. 600's, don't know for certain though.

fanch, sorry to hear about the break in, hope your mum is alright. I knwo what its like to be on the recieving end, very traumatic.

Again, im gonna venture into another topic, fanch, how does the ride of the SL500 compare with the that of the S600. I read somewhere, that the ride in teh SL gets very close to the S. Is is this true? I could also ask the same question to RC, as wel all know how many cars he's driven!

Quote:
    Quote:

Well a Lexus is a toyota.

And as for A-class ride. You ever been in a Porsche? Take away the power, fit harder suspension, or better yet, remove all springs. add numb and 3.4 turns lock to lock steering, fit a 1.7CDI 90bhp diesel engine, give it an auto box, and perhaps you'll understand. This is a car that has made me sick of rattles, due to the hard ride or build quality or a combo of both. And it has made me vow never to buy another hard riding car again. When I hear a car has a firm ride in a road test, I usually turn the page. My dad's E-class rides much much better, although its is out of date and inferior to the magnificent S-class we have today..

RC, its cool that you kow him, please ask and confirm this. He did reply before and said that this is a technical question and we haev to talk to our AMG technical shop. I asked if this issue would be possible under AMG Unique Manufacturing, so it may be possible. And also, the 600's have more torque and power than the 55's, so if anything, tecnically unsafe issues shouldn't be a problem. I think teh brakes are also similar on the 55's vs. 600's, don't know for certain though.

fanch, sorry to hear about the break in, hope your mum is alright. I knwo what its like to be on the recieving end, very traumatic.

Again, im gonna venture into another topic, fanch, how does the ride of the SL500 compare with the that of the S600. I read somewhere, that the ride in teh SL gets very close to the S. Is is this true? I could also ask the same question to RC, as wel all know how many cars he's driven!

I knew it further incriminating evidence of hard riding cars....

E55

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=545298#post545298

SL55

http://forum-international.amg-owners-club.org/thread.php?threadid=2856&sid=

I knew it further incriminating evidence of hard riding cars....

E55

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=545298#post545298

SL55

http://forum-international.amg-owners-club.org/thread.php?threadid=2856&sid=

Are you saying an A-class rides harsher than a Porsche (let's say std 996), and accomplishes this feat without springs!?!

Secondly, I don't know if those 20" wheels were ever approved. What is a "harsh" ride is very much a subjective opinion. The cars we are discussing here, in terms of rattle etc, were not riding on 19" wheels.

Are you saying an A-class rides harsher than a Porsche (let's say std 996), and accomplishes this feat without springs!?!

Secondly, I don't know if those 20" wheels were ever approved. What is a "harsh" ride is very much a subjective opinion. The cars we are discussing here, in terms of rattle etc, were not riding on 19" wheels.

well I can't say, but I read that Porsche has hard ride? So if anything it can't be harder than A-class hard. RC please confirm this. It accomplishes this with springs, but only at the back, it has no rear shock absorbers.

When teh elk test happened, all Mercedes did was give the car ESP, fit wider rubber, and give porsche ride. As a result, its a bad car, but still an auto.

well I can't say, but I read that Porsche has hard ride? So if anything it can't be harder than A-class hard. RC please confirm this. It accomplishes this with springs, but only at the back, it has no rear shock absorbers.

When teh elk test happened, all Mercedes did was give the car ESP, fit wider rubber, and give porsche ride. As a result, its a bad car, but still an auto.

SL500/ S600 Comparison

My mother is ok mate, thanks for the concern.
    Now, both the S600 and the SL500 are riding on 18in wheels.
    And both have the similar (I think) ABC suspension settings.
    And now here comes the shock, the SL can sometimes feel faster than the S! despite the almost 200 bhp difference.
    Which brings to the point that RC reffered to once, the SL seems to be faster because:
    - It seats lower, much lower.
    - It's a roadster, and with the top down, you get a better impression of speed (one reason why I love cabs!)
    - It sounds sportier (but it's still not great)
    So there you go, plus, the S can feel a bit "fat" in the bends, but it's a dragster on the straights, as long as you are gentle with the throttle.
    Where the S REALLY makes a difference, it's on the straights, when the cars are moving at a reasonable speed, in other words, the torque of course. I think the S has something like 800 Nm whereas the SL has a pathetic 300 or 400 Nm
    So on a motorway, both at 130 kmh, you press the throttle and the S kisses the SL bye bye (and a lot of other sports cars for that matter including my Carrera). But from a standstill, it's not obvious, mostly because of the S' traction problem.
    Fanch.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 6:32 AM
    GnilM
    803168 1807
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448555 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266107 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90051 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6581 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885685 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833231 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM