Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Question on Porsche sport exhaust

I'm getting ready to order a new 997 C2S coupe, and have almost all of my specs determined. I am intentionally not ordering the Sport Chrono +, but have been unable to obtain reliable information from any of the 6 SoCal dealers I've visited. Does the Sport Exhaust have require an electric signal to enable it, ie, a Sport button, or is it "on" all the time. Is the sound obtrusive inside the car at constant speed (freeway) driving? I finally was able to drive a car with the sport shifter and will definitely include it on the car.
    Thanks in advance for your responses!

Dick Kreidel

Re: Question on Porsche sport exhaust

There is a switch to enable or disable the Sport Exhaust

I'm kicking myself for not getting the PSE. With SE the quad tips ARE justified and can't be considered fake. Good choice

Quote:
    MMD said:
    I'm kicking myself for not getting the PSE. With SE the quad tips ARE justified and can't be considered fake. Good choice

MMD: I think you should give Tubi exhaust a try! Its worth it!

Quote:
    MMD said:

Why not get PSE retro-fitted - it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I'm getting it done week after next.

Quote:
    MMD said:

can you explain that? why could they be considered fake with the S-exhaust but not with PSE?

thanks!

Quote:
    maoun said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

can you explain that? why could they be considered fake with the S-exhaust but not with PSE?

thanks!

Because they are mere"y"s in 997s tailpipe. With PSE: no "y" both are functional.

PSE, three words....JUST DO IT!

Quote:
    John H said:
    Why not get PSE retro-fitted - it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I'm getting it done week after next.

Hey John

The cheapest quote I have had from any OPC is 1800+VAT = 2100 quid. Have you managed to better this at another OPC?

If you have then does that mean you are forgoing the on/off button to save money? Or perhaps keep the same tail-pipes?

Cheers

The PSE pipe...the real thing

cool

If I were a 997 owner in the UK without PSE, I would seriously consider getting it retrofitted. The problem with such things is that OPCs in the UK charge high labour rates. I actually think it would be much cheaper to go across the Channel for the day, get it fitted in France, Belgium, Holland or Germany (plus do some nice duty free shopping) and then come back to the UK that evening.

Just my suggestion, but it's no secret that labour rates in the UK for any skilled worker are ridiculous.

Yup - I think most UK OPCs charge just over 100 pounds per hour (before VAT). I have been quoted for a PSE:

Parts = 1050
    Labour = 750 (7 hours)
    VAT = 300

Alex
    The labour hours being quoted by dealers is ridiculous......I'm going to get sport exhaust added in the next couple of weeks, and I wanted to know exactly what was involved......I have a copy of the Porsche 997 TSB for sport exhaust install

These are the times Porsche says it should take...

330 time units for cars with sport chrono
    440 time units for cars without sport chrono

Porsche time units are 100 units = 1hr.

So if you have sport chrono; Porsche says it should take them 3.5 hours....not 7!!!!

FYI the old 996 PSE install was 650 Time Units (6.5 hours)

I'm not saying that I'd want the job done in 3.5 hours....I'd prefer they took their time and did a good job....but well in excess of double the time (I have been quoted 8 hours)is really over gilding the lily!!!

As the excerpt below shows, this DOES include the electrical connection to the DME (so that the exhaust is activated by the button on the centre console)

SUCH good information Jason!!

Although I already have Sports Chrono, I wouldnt mind actually having an extra button for the PSE on/off just so I can hear it in 'normal' mode.

I'm going for the record number of buttons on my switch-panel!

Might keep my chrome tips though as I think they look just as good as the proper PSE ones. That would also save me a few 100 pounds from what I've been told.

Let the bartering commence

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    SUCH good information Jason!!

Although I already have Sports Chrono, I wouldnt mind actually having an extra button for the PSE on/off just so I can hear it in 'normal' mode.

I'm going for the record number of buttons on my switch-panel!

Let the bartering commence

I wanted this but they told me they can't use a extra button on the panel to do the PSE mod as these buttons work with an 'impulsion' and you need something that actually cut of the electricity... that's why one needs to add an extra switch somewhere else ( I put it where the swith to open the roof of the cab is)

Sorry, I don't understand Gnil

Are you saying that if you already have a sport button then you can't have an extra PSE button too? I already have a Cab so I can't do what you have done unfortunaley.

So as I understand there are the following options:

Sports Chrono
    - Tie the PSE on/off into the current Sport Button (meaning you only get PSE in Sport mode and not normal mode)
    - Put the PSE on/off where the Cab roof button goes (only in Coupe cars)

No Sports Chrono
    - Have no button at all (all automatic)
    - Put a new PSE on/off "double tailpipe" button on the console

Miscellaneous
    - Do the Rennteam PSE always on hack

Is that right???

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Quote:
    John H said:

Hey John

The cheapest quote I have had from any OPC is 1800+VAT = 2100 quid. Have you managed to better this at another OPC?

If you have then does that mean you are forgoing the on/off button to save money? Or perhaps keep the same tail-pipes?

Cheers

Hi Alex

The cheapest quote I've heard on this board was from br d for Pounds1500 at Colchester.

'quote from br d'
    "I didn't get a switch, it was activated by the sport button, but that didn't concern me because I'd already seen the 'always on' mod and was pretty sure I would do that anyway."
    br d

I think you said you also have Sports Chrono, so maybe you could replicate this.

Unfortunately I don't have it and the prices I've been given up here are Pounds2040 at Wilmslow and Pounds2482.18 at Chester. Am still haggling but will definately have it done.

Will keep you informed.

Cheers, John

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:

Are you saying that if you already have a sport button then you can't have an extra PSE button too? I already have a Cab so I can't do what you have done unfortunaley.

Sports Chrono
    - Tie the PSE on/off into the current Sport Button (meaning you only get PSE in Sport mode and not normal mode)

No Sports Chrono

Miscellaneous

Is that right???

now I am getting confused..
    On your setting, with sports chrono, the PSE will be activated when you push the sports( chrono) button on!
    So, you can't have it on without sports mode on....unless you do the mod ( you can put the 'new button' where you want, someone has put it under the dash board, another one in the middle console....).

With no sports chrono, the button on the console will activate PSE, but you can't use one of those to do the mod... as they work with inpulse and you need something that cut off the electricity... in order to have PSE on all the time..
    Still confused ?

I am suprised that someone hasn't come out with a small retro fit kit that only includes the small down pipe with a modified tip. It seems easy enough to do. Have a muffler shop cut the hole in the muffler and weld extra tube on. Add the tip to the tube and your done. Seems like the cost would be less than $100.

How much is the PSE option?

2400 crg

can you get it as a dealer option? I do not think I can change my spec for a Feb build. Also, is there a way to get the PSE exhaust tips only?

i have feb build and was able to upgrade to pccb.check with salesmen .i think there are aftermarket systems available.make sure warranty is not affected. good luck crg

Also installing a PSE. Ive recently learned that with Sport Chrono Plus, the sport sport button changes the exhaust tone. No other mods needed.

thanks crg.

You can save some labor $$ if dealer installed by opting not to have the electronics (switch) done. That is, sport exhaust loud all the time. Check with your dealer on this.

I should have ordered mine with one.

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:

Sports Chrono

No Sports Chrono

Miscellaneous

Is that right???

now I am getting confused..
    On your setting, with sports chrono, the PSE will be activated when you push the sports( chrono) button on!
    So, you can't have it on without sports mode on....unless you do the mod ( you can put the 'new button' where you want, someone has put it under the dash board, another one in the middle console....).

With no sports chrono, the button on the console will activate PSE, but you can't use one of those to do the mod... as they work with inpulse and you need something that cut off the electricity... in order to have PSE on all the time..
    Still confused ?

I've just arranged to have PSE fitted next Monday on my 997S (without Sport Chrono)

Apparently the on/off switch comes as an intergral part of the package and will be situated at the bottom of the console alongside the PASM switch. This can then be used to switch to normal exhaust i.e. for late night urban driving. But once switched to PSE it will stay there until switched off!

I spent some time with my OPC Workshop Manager ensuring that this was the case, as there seems to be conflicting opinions on this thread - like some say you can't have PSE on all the time unless you do the mod/hack. My information, as I said, is that it can be on all the time until switched off.

Is this your understanding - in a nutshell?

I thought it could be set as 'on' at the console BUT the PSE cuts on/off automatically at certain speed bands.

The 'hack' I think keeps it on constantly, no matter what speed you are going.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781330 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442680 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263404 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261756 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85877 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5939 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881505 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819184 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM