Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Who has a Wiper Blade on their rear widow?

I was just off to bed and I was kind of laughing to myself about this Porsche extra!

Just wondered who's got it.

Re: Who has a Wiper Blade on their rear widow?

Uh, it's a great idea for northern latitudes where it..., snows .

Not a big deal either. You can remove the entire wiper arm for summer and put a nice trim cap over the axel/stud.

I never use it on my previous rides, so I opt it out whilst specing the car.
    BTW without it, it looks less cluttered at the rear.
    But I believe it is a necessity in snow bound countries.

Quote:
    ResB said:
    I was just off to bed and I was kind of laughing to myself about this Porsche extra!

Why laughing, I don't understand. If you want to see behind you in rain/snow, you have a rear wiper. If you don't want to see because you think you look better, you don't have to have one!! What's the big deal.

Sensibly, our climate in the UK, even in summer, dictates you need a wiper on safety grounds. Drier countries can do without. There's no common ground for a poll here - waste of time!!

Live in Seattle, it has rained for 26 days straight. Don't have it and wish i did. I know lots of folks don't drive their 997's in the rain. If i didn't drive in the rain i would never drive it.

Quote:
    997CarreraS said:
    I know lots of folks don't drive their 997's in the rain.

Not on this forum I hope

Quote:
    John H said:
    Quote:
    ResB said:

Why laughing, I don't understand. If you want to see behind you in rain/snow, you have a rear wiper. If you don't want to see because you think you look better, you don't have to have one!! What's the big deal.

Sensibly, our climate in the UK, even in summer, dictates you need a wiper on safety grounds. Drier countries can do without. There's no common ground for a poll here - waste of time!!

I live in the UK and have done 10,000 miles through winter and back to winter and never needed a rear wiper once.

Quote:
    ResB said:

Just wondered who's got it.

Uh I don't think about Porsche when I'm off to bed, let it go.....

JJBlade said,

I live in the UK and have done 10,000 miles through winter and back to winter and never needed a rear wiper once.

You must be very lucky with the weather in your area!

Or, if you don't have one, you just don't realise the improved rear vision it affords. Personally I like to know what's behind me at all times.

Weather is crap in the Midlands but I have never once needed it. Strange how two peoples 'needs' can be so different.

Quote:
    John H said:
    Quote:
    ResB said:

I was just laughing at the fact that a rear wiper is an "extra" thats all. I was kind of expecting it to be a no cost option if you wanted it removed.

In terms of the poll, it was to guage if people prefered to have it (okay, should have said in the UK) rather than not, or whether or not is was a question of styling or practicality thats all.

I currently have a TT which doesn't have a rear wiper, drive it in what ever the weather and have not needed it. The reason for this I suppose it's cleaned once a week without fail and is garaged overnight.

Hope thats a little clearer and I'm sorry if you felt the poll was a waste of time.

Cheers,

Rich

Quote:
    ResB said:
    Quote:
    John H said:
    Quote:
    ResB said:

I was just laughing at the fact that a rear wiper is an "extra" thats all. I was kind of expecting it to be a no cost option if you wanted it removed.

In terms of the poll, it was to guage if people prefered to have it (okay, should have said in the UK) rather than not, or whether or not is was a question of styling or practicality thats all.

I currently have a TT which doesn't have a rear wiper, drive it in what ever the weather and have not needed it. The reason for this I suppose it's cleaned once a week without fail and is garaged overnight.

Hope thats a little clearer and I'm sorry if you felt the poll was a waste of time.

Cheers,

Rich

Hi Rich,

Didn't mean to offend - In retrospect my comment sounded worse than was meant. To be honest I'm so pissed off with our weather right now. You know, you have the car clean & gleaming then one trip to town and back and it's filthy again.

A poll for the UK would be fine. Strange thing is, only JJ and I have commented from the UK and we differ in our opinions, I guess that's healthy though.

I don't personally find the wiper aesthetically irritating and functionally I wouldn't be without it. As I said before, I like to see whats coming from behind!!

Kind regards, John

A necessity in Upstate New York!!

I have ordered my coupe with the wiper blade. living in manchester where it never stops raining I had no choice!! . currently have an audi cab which has no rear wiper, and it annoys the hell out of me not being able to see clearlty out of the rear window when it is 'drizzling' (hard rain tends to run off the screen).

Quote:
    John H said:
    Quote:
    ResB said:
    Quote:
    John H said:
    Quote:
    ResB said:

Cheers,

Rich

Hi Rich,

Didn't mean to offend - In retrospect my comment sounded worse than was meant. To be honest I'm so pissed off with our weather right now. You know, you have the car clean & gleaming then one trip to town and back and it's filthy again.

A poll for the UK would be fine. Strange thing is, only JJ and I have commented from the UK and we differ in our opinions, I guess that's healthy though.

I don't personally find the wiper aesthetically irritating and functionally I wouldn't be without it. As I said before, I like to see whats coming from behind!!

Kind regards, John

No offence taken fella.

I get a mix of rain and sunshine in Florida. I didn't get it, it's ugly, and most of all, it's constantly in your way when you're washing the car, either up or down, just a pain in the ars. Rarely do I find the rearward view "unviewable" through the water. Not enough of an issue for me to slap an annoying piece of hardware back there.

For me it isn't about functionality - I associate rear wipers with a VW Golf or some other hatchback. I wouldn't want my Pounds80k sportscar to resemble its cheaper VW cousin.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    For me it isn't about functionality - I associate rear wipers with a VW Golf or some other hatchback. I wouldn't want my Pounds80k sportscar to resemble its cheaper VW cousin.

Come on - do you honestly think a rear wiper makes a 997S resemble a VW Golf. You may as well say that having a tail makes Mickey Mouse look like King Kong!!

I wish I had known that putting a wiper blade on a 997 makes it look like a VW Golf hatchback. If I'd know that before commiting to a P purchase I could have saved myself alot of money by removing the wiper on my Golf (daily driver) and made it look like a 997.

anybody have good close-ups of the wiper? i'd love to see it?

also, what button controls it?

thanks

Had it on my 996 turbo and rarely used it and it was a pain washing, didn't look great, etc. Now without it, there were a few times I wished I had it until I put RainX on the rear window- now I don't need it again (and it looks better).

I do not find it ugly.... I even had times where I thaught it looked good to have a rear wiper on a real sports car, makes the concept even more different then the competition!!!!

But I didn't get it on my car..I don't mind the rain on the back window.. why does one need to see perfectly out of the back window? In most cars with aftermarket tinted windows you can't see out of the rear window at night... trucs don't have a rear window, lots of sports car have tiny back windows.... So , some water her and then is no problem... and as soon as you drive faster then city speed the window gets cleared..

This brings to mind what Franco (Raul Julia) said in "Gumball Rally" (1976), as he ripped the rear-view mirror from the windshield of a Ferrari Daytona Spyder and tossed it over his shoulder into the parking lot:

"And now my friend, the first-a rule of Italian driving.
    [Franco rips off his rear-view mirror and throws it out of the car]
    What's-a behind me...... is not important."

Quote:
    maoun said:
    anybody have good close-ups of the wiper? i'd love to see it?

also, what button controls it?
    thanks

The wiper stalk controls it.

M, you don't have a wiper! you can stop looking for it!

Here's someone's car without the rear wiper...NEAT!

Quote:
    John H said:
    JJBlade said,

You must be very lucky with the weather in your area!

Or, if you don't have one, you just don't realise the improved rear vision it affords. Personally I like to know what's behind me at all times.

I'm in agreement with you; must have option in the UK, although it's a shame PO didn't fit a screen wash devise

haha. you're awesome ossi

i know i don't have it!! just curious what it would look like, etc.

can never have too much information!!!

how ya doin ossi? still lurkin round these forums i see.

btw--i'm gettin great mileage now :-)

It must be because I always drive fast enough for it to stay clear

Quote:
    JJBlade said:
    It must be because I always drive fast enough for it to stay clear

...or not even get wet at all

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779721 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442334 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263158 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261462 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85678 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5837 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881169 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817904 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM