Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: I apologise for asking this in a 997 forum, but....

I like the white very much. I was just pointing out that it's not a popular colour in the UK and, hence, will affect residuals quite badly.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    I think the mid-engined handling of the Cayman S is much more accessible for a first-time Porsche owner.

Agreed 100%, my 986S is more fun to drive than my 997S. Boxster is delightful, easy, 911 needs more focus on what's happening at every part of a turn (or whatever).

NEVER, EVER, EVER buy the FIRST run of a new car...

I don't care if it's Porsche or Hyundai, there WILL be problems !!!

997 !

Just read a comparisontest concerning cayman s and 997:
    The cayman got a slight + over the 997.
    Just my opinionn:
    pro cayman: Newer, agile, and better specced...
    pro 911: it's an icon you always wanted...

Conclusion: buy a cayman today and start dreaming about a 997 S for 2 years... that way you sstay motivated at work...

My p-curriculum: 965, 993targa, 996cab, 997S cab and dreaming of what a future 998 will bring...

Good luck!

Quote:
    LB said:
    I think white is very underrated color. Its one of the few colors that accentuate the 911s curvaceous booty

The Cayman is a good coice if you are abit short of money. Though I have to say that luxury cars are all about options and goodies. Therefor the resale value of your 997 will likely be very low if it isn't equiped with options like PCM, Satnav and other popular options. Although your cayman will likely be more epuied you might along the line regret that you didn't buy the 911.

My advise to you is to seek up a decently equiped 997.

Quote:
    luwalira said:
    The Cayman is a good coice if you are abit short of money. Though I have to say that luxury cars are all about options and goodies. Therefor the resale value of your 997 will likely be very low if it isn't equiped with options like PCM, Satnav and other popular options.

In the US, those options contribute VERY little to the cost of a used car...

OK, I feel your pain.

One thing about luxury items (cars, watches etc etc) is that you can never quite afford exactly what you want and even if you do get it, you realise you should have ordered some additional little option. The trick from my experience with my 997S (I wish I had ordered -20mm and LSD suspension) is just to appreciate how damn lucky all of us are for even contemplating buying one of these things, whether a 987, Cayman (not sure of model number) or 997 (S or otherwise).

Anyway, philosophising over, all I can say is that the 997 (S or otherwise) is both GT-ish and sporty; quiet on the motorways and freeways, but when you hit the throttle, it kind of squats on its rear and rockets away. Always feels very planted round corners, so great fun on the twisties (even without the -20mm).

I have also pretty frequently given 2 or 3 friends/relatives a ride in the car and if you set the seats right, you can really cram a lot of people/luggage in to the car for an hour or 2 journeys - and I've only had one case of gangrene so far

Now I can't talk about the Cayman - I have seen a few on the roads and think they are very sexy - more modern than the 997 to be honest, yes probably more of a pure sports car. But, if you have some practical requirements, (back seats, more space, travel longer distances etc) then the 997 which, let's be honest is 1/2 GT and 1/2 sports, is probably the way to go.

If you want a pure sports experience then maybe the Cayman is your thing - you should pay less for something that you never use for practical purposes anyway.

Hope this is clear (1/2 bottle of wine talking!),

SoS.

P.S. I drive my 997S in a mixture of spirited and relaxed styles and it has solidly given me 23 MPG.

Quote:
    JamesC said:
    I like the white very much. I was just pointing out that it's not a popular colour in the UK and, hence, will affect residuals quite badly.

Agreed - the only white 911 I have ever seen in London was the most excellent GT3RS in the showroom down at Porsche East London. But then again, I drive an Arctic Silver 997 so absolutely no individuality there then.

997! For the reasons given! No regrets/worries!

Nice spec! I'd probably skip the CD changer and floor mats.

SVNSVN: Liking the new avatar!

Thanks Gregg! I can't wait to have one of my "baby." This is the next best thing at the moment.

Okay. I test drove the Cayman and a 997 C4S today (didn't have a C2S) and forgetting all the technical stuff this is what I noticed.

The Cayman ride was quite hard, either without or with PASM on. PASM didn't seem to make much difference but to be fair the test drive was hardly "testing" if you know what I mean. Hitting 5,000 rpm was glorious, the change in pitch on the Variable Cam Plus engine was excellent, very satisfying indeed, probably because your nearly sat on the engine. For me the sound of this engine was a very good plus point, however, it was helped I think by the fact that the cabin is quite noisy anyway. The Interior, albeit leather didn't look as luxurious as the 997 for some reason, not really sure why! The stearing response was also very good, you certainly get the sense of speed for this active engine and chassis. Although I didn't drive the C2S, the 4WD (AWD) version gave me an overall feeling of safety. I understand this isn't as quick as the C2S so not perhaps a fair comparison to a degree. The interior felt better, but the car didn't sound anywhere near as good. Very muted in fact inside the cabin but perhaps awesome outside. The car didn't feel as quick, but obviously was. It has the benfit of 2+2 seating which to be fair has far more room than in the TT. In fact you could actually use the seats in the back and get someone in the passenger seat, unlike the TT.

Both nice cars, in fact for everyday driving I think the 997 will be more comfortable in the long run.

But, having said all this the C2S has got to be the one to have over the C2, and you can retro-fit Sat Nav (Pounds2k).

I really could do with one of these cars over a weekend.

[edit]

I've just noticed there are 5 pages. Just going to read the other posts as I only got to page 2.

[edit edit]

There is some really good opinions here, so I thank you all for taking time to reply. Out of interest, what sort of discounts are ppl getting on the C2S?

Something I was particularly happy with was the clutch pedal. Strange I hear you say, but the reason for such a strange comment was that many years ago I drove a number of 911's of various guises, but the clutch pedal used to have me creased up in paid after half an hour in traffic as yiu had to kind of push the clutch into the floor as oppsed to away from you. I have old motorcycle wounds which case havoc with my left leg when i push down and the old mthod of pushing the clutch down used to be worst.

Something else I noticed today. It's strange how the Cayman kind of lost it's line/shape in black and looked not too clever in Seal Grey, but Silver highlighted the great shape. The C2S in the showroom in Seal Grey however, looked very nice.

Right, time to get an insurance quote for the C2S...fiers crossed.

Awesome! Best of luck, ResB!

Quote:
    997CarreraS said:
    I just was at the dealer today and the new Cayman is a beautiful car. But if you can I would still by the Flagship and that is the 997. In terms of options If I had to limit myself I would by the sports exhaust, Sports Chrono and the Bose Sound system. Those are the things that make a real difference to me. How it sounds inside, out side and the throttle response. Good luck you cant go wrong no matter what you do.

Those would be exactly the options I would not get if I were to get minimal options. The standard exhaust sounds fine, the sports chorono adds nothing to the car and is just another Porsche gimmick in my opinion and the Bose is okay but does not blow me away. Further, those are some of the most expensive options you can get! If you can afford minimal options, then get some comfort options like nicer seats, heated seats and the supple leather. If you cant afford a lot, you at least ought to be confrtable.

Quote:
    ResB said:
    Something I was particularly happy with was the clutch pedal. Strange I hear you say, but the reason for such a strange comment was that many years ago I drove a number of 911's of various guises, but the clutch pedal used to have me creased up in paid after half an hour in traffic as yiu had to kind of push the clutch into the floor as oppsed to away from you. I have old motorcycle wounds which case havoc with my left leg when i push down and the old mthod of pushing the clutch down used to be worst.

The clutch of the C4S is much softer then the clutch of the C2S...

I agree with you about the sound of the Cayman

I really like the cayman S, sporty car and really nice design and performance....BUT from what you've said, I would go for a basic 997 carrera, just installing some 19" porsche wheels....and that's it!!

Good luck!!

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    Quote:
    ResB said:
    Something I was particularly happy with was the clutch pedal. Strange I hear you say, but the reason for such a strange comment was that many years ago I drove a number of 911's of various guises, but the clutch pedal used to have me creased up in paid after half an hour in traffic as you had to kind of push the clutch into the floor as oppsed to away from you. I have old motorcycle wounds which cause havoc with my left leg when I push down and the old method of pushing the clutch down used to be worst.

I agree with you about the sound of the Cayman

I need to take more time when typing. It's embarrassing reading it back sometimes!.

I really need to try the C2S then. Thanks for the heads up on this as it is a major factor in the forthcoming purchase.

The Cayman S exhaust note was certainly something to smile about. I accelerated once past 5,000 rpm and couldn't stop doing it. The sales guy must of thought I was nuts

Okay, been messing with the configurator.

Interior colour AT Leather interior in Black Pounds1,879.00
    Wheels 403 19 inch Carrera S wheel Pounds0.00
    Exterior colour Y1 Seal Grey Metallic Pounds543.00 (this colour is growing on me)
    Exterior 635 ParkAssist (parking aid rear) Pounds325.00
    P12 Automatically dimming interior and exterior mirrors with integrated rain sensor Pounds353.00
    Engine P17 Sports Suspension (- 20 mm) including mechanical rear differential lock Pounds0.00
    640 Sport Chrono Package Plus Pounds507.00
    Interior 022 Instrument dials in Black Pounds0.00
    P77 Sports seats Pounds257.00
    342 Heated seats Pounds269.00
    Interior Leather 460 Three-spoke sports steering wheel in smooth leather Pounds289.00
    XSC Porsche crest embossed on head restraints Pounds126.00
    Audio and communication 680 BOSE Surround Sound System Pounds768.00
    Total price Pounds69,297.00

Looks like I'm gunna have to put some more cash into this one. Pounds70k on a car. I must be potty.

Quick question. Is the engine in the C2S a VarioCam Plus engine? The sales guy intimated that the Caman was but the C2S wasn't. However, when reading through sales literature it seems to suggest it is!

Quote:
    ResB said:
    Quick question. Is the engine in the C2S a VarioCam Plus engine? The sales guy intimated that the Caman was but the C2S wasn't. However, when reading through sales literature it seems to suggest it is!

You're sure that it has been a P-car sales guy ?
    Sometimes it's unbelievable what the salesguys know (or better: what they don't know) - so you better rely on the sales literature - and Rennteam, of course

Nice spec for soemone who initially thought about a plain vanilla non-S
    As you have opted for some sporty options you might consider the short-shifter as an addition to complete the package

Are you sure about this, they felt similar to me.

Nice setup!

If you intend to get your car in Seal Grey, I'd throw in coloured wheels as well. The option may look tacky in most cases, but I think it looks awesome on a Seal Grey car. Much better than the stock silver wheels, IMHO.

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    ResB said:

You're sure that it has been a P-car sales guy ?
    Sometimes it's unbelievable what the salesguys know (or better: what they don't know) - so you better rely on the sales literature - and Rennteam, of course

Nice spec for soemone who initially thought about a plain vanilla non-S
    As you have opted for some sporty options you might consider the short-shifter as an addition to complete the package

You are completely right. I was after the vanilla C2 but after half an hour on this forum it was clear that the "S" is where to go. I dunno how I'm going to do it it's just by the time I spec bare minimums on the C2 like Xenon's etc it's nearly at the list price of the S. So I thought, if I'm going to spend Pounds65k on a car why not a few grand more and really get what I want. Just means we'll have to wait for the dining room table. I'm sure you guys understand, it's all about priorities. This also was my intention before I had actually driven the cars also. Are there any pics of the short shifter anywhere?

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Nice setup!

If you intend to get your car in Seal Grey, I'd throw in coloured wheels as well. The option may look tacky in most cases, but I think it looks awesome on a Seal Grey car. Much better than the stock silver wheels, IMHO.

I never thought of that. Porsche configurator here I come...

Looks excellent. This is never ending.

Quote:
    jpcourt said:

Yeah 4S clutch definitely lighter than 2S. (have driven 2*4S and 3*2S)

Quote:
    Persuader said:
    Quote:
    jpcourt said:

Yeah 4S clutch definitely lighter than 2S. (have driven 2*4S and 3*2S)

Part of the safety feature?

6 months ago I was thinking of upgrading my '01 Box to 987S, but in a matter of few short weeks lurking in rennteam 997 forum "jumped" (decision) past 987S, Cayman and 997 3.6 to 997S, also having test-driven all but the Cayman as it is not available yet. So I'm sure you're not the only one faced with dilemma of choosing different models and it's variations. (Besides need a small back-seat for bub-to be ) Good luck with your decision.

Quote:
    ResB said:
    Looks excellent. This is never ending.

The car configurator doesn't make it justice. There are a few pictures of the car with Seal Grey wheels on the forum.

I tried finding a picture of a 997 with painted "lobster fork" wheels (stock 997S wheels) but could not. Here is a picture of a Seal Grey 997 with painted aftermarket wheels, and one with optional Carrera Sport wheels (the latter belongs to MattC on this forum, awesome ):

here are a couple of shots

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781133 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442633 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263388 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261703 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85842 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5923 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881466 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819038 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM