Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

PASM - Useless?

Like many of you I really enjoy the sport button that accompanies the Sport Chrono package...that is I enjoy the throttle elements. I find the suspension set-up in sport mode totally unusable. Even on smooth roads (well at least Northern California smooth which on a scale basis is like 60 grit sandpaper) I find it bone jarring and unsettling. So each time I hit the Sport button I immediately deactivate the suspension button. I know, I know, not too much of a pain. But still....I cannot imagine anyone enjoying this set-up.

Rant off....here are my questions:

1. Does anyone know how the PASM works? Is it a magnetic set-up like Cadillac has on the XLR where the shock dampening properties are changed instantaneously with an applied electrical charge? The change is so immediate it is hard to imagine a valve actuator moving.
    2. Does anyone know if the properties of the PASM dampening can be controlled or mitigated through a software modification....like a re-flash by the dealer? It would be wonderful if there was a range of properties that could be set by the dealer. I imagine this is the case at some level...just wondering if anyone knows or cares to speculate.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Re: PASM - Useless?

1) yes, i believe it is
    2) i'm sure you could, but i have yet to hear or an available re-flash for consumers

you would think that on forthcoming models they will offer three settings (doesn't the ferrarri offer this?) like the 959 did i believe. one for normal, one for sporty on imperfect pavement and one for track.

PASM works by using a "bypass-valve" that is opened or closed. So it is not really an electrical change.

On this page of the Porsche website, you'll find a explanation and an animation on how it works:

CLICK ME
    (on this page, just click on PASM link).

I must be weird, but... I like the sport setting - feel connected to the road and car. Clearly on cobblestones it might get a bit but on motorways (freeways in the US?) it seems fine to me.

Sorry to say this but I find the sport throttle too aggressive for cruising around - use it as a boost when I am overtaking a lot, but otherwise leave it off. I have the sports suspension setting on more often than the sport throttle setting - going round corners with it on is gooooood.

OK, I know, I AM weird!

Quote:
    SonOfStig said:
    I must be weird, but... I like the sport setting - feel connected to the road and car. Clearly on cobblestones it might get a bit but on motorways (freeways in the US?) it seems fine to me.

Sorry to say this but I find the sport throttle too aggressive for cruising around - use it as a boost when I am overtaking a lot, but otherwise leave it off. I have the sports suspension setting on more often than the sport throttle setting - going round corners with it on is gooooood.

I agree. Though sport mode isn't an issue for me as I didn't order the Sport Chrono. But I love PASM. Normal mode is great for around town and I like being able to dramatically firm things up at the push of a button. I've always prefered stiff suspensions in my cars and PASM can give you a firmer ride than the -20.

It's a track thing. You're not supposed to be comfortable on a track; you're supposed to be fast.

You buy a PASM-equipped car for the track. That's the idea anyway.

On the road the PASM sport setting seems to have too high a frequency spring rate. You get the feeling that the nose of the car is bobbing frantically up and down for little reason. On the track however it's perfect.

On the Sport Chrono setting I use sport for out of town and twisty roads, but in town the throttle setting on sport is too sensitive to make smooth progress.

I would like to see Porsche offer a "Manettino" like Ferrari, but we'll see if they can bring themselves to copy someone else's good idea...

Quote:
    MMD said:
    It's a track thing. You're not supposed to be comfortable on a track; you're supposed to be fast.

You buy a -20mm car for track not PASM, if it is available.

Quote:
    JJBlade said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

You buy a -20mm car for track not PASM, if it is available.

PASM practically provide the flexibility of both worlds, I think that's what MMD implies.
    Cheers

Quote:
    MMD said:

I am wondering whether for the Cab owners PASM in normal mode may provide another advantage (compared to the stock suspension) : the softer setting may cause less stress for body/chassis which may pay off for those who hold the car for a long time (maybe the same reason, why you can't get the -20mm sport-suspension for the 997 cab)

I tracked my PASM 997 and I love it. To me the non sport setting is just right for tooling around town but on sport its to stiff for just driving around but perfect for the track. I'm sure the 20mm suspension is better at the track but I don't want to drive that around the city.

It really is the best of both worlds.

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:

I am wondering whether for the Cab owners PASM in normal mode may provide another advantage (compared to the stock suspension) : the softer setting may cause less stress for body/chassis which may pay off for those who hold the car for a long time (maybe the same reason, why you can't get the -20mm sport-suspension for the 997 cab)

You might be right. I chose a 997S Cab (PASM) over a 997S X51 (-20mm) which were pretty much the same price at the time, and I haven't regretted the decision once. This way it's 4 cars in 1:

Top up, normal mode ... general touring about
    Top up, sports mode ... when the roads get twisty and the sun's not out
    Top down, normal mode ... ultimate cruising
    Top down, sports mode ... ultimate fun!!!

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:

You might be right. I chose a 997S Cab (PASM) over a 997S X51 (-20mm) which were pretty much the same price at the time, and I haven't regretted the decision once. This way it's 4 cars in 1:

Top up, normal mode ... general touring about
    Top up, sports mode ... when the roads get twisty and the sun's not out
    Top down, normal mode ... ultimate cruising
    Top down, sports mode ... ultimate fun!!!

Alex, thanx for sharing your experiences and the concise description of the different "operating modes" of your car
    Though being a 987 S waiter myself, I guess I will enjoy a similar mutability of the car. I'm really into this Jekyll & Hyde character of the car and I guess PASM provides and advantage in exploiting this effect (I hope sport chrono and the short-shifter will even broaden the range from cosy cruising up to spirited driving)

Quote:
    MMD said:

If that were true, PASM would come with an LSD. Since it comes with the -20mm, I infer that the -20mm is the "Track" suspension...

PASM in sport mode gives -10mm not -20mm, that is a different set-up altogether.

John H what Grant is saying is that the LSD comes with the -20mm.

Also the 997S rides -10mm lower than the base 997 period , whether it be in sport mode or not..

throt..

Quote:
    throt said:

Also the 997S rides -10mm lower than the base 997 period , whether it be in sport mode or not..

throt..

Exactly! Sorry if I wasn't clear...

If you have PASM, the ride height doesn't change regardless of which mode you are in, does it?

Quote:
    flap said:
    If you have PASM, the ride height doesn't change regardless of which mode you are in, does it?

Correct, it is just -10mm compared to the standard, non-pasm setup (and +10mm compared to the sport-suspension).

Here are all the details: -20mm is -10mm to the PASM which is -10mm to normal making normal + 20mm to the -20mm, but only +10mm to the PASM which is always + 10mm to the -20mm and -10mm to the non PASM oh and I forgot...-20mm is -10mm to PASM on normal mode and is -10mm to PASM on sports mode, Standard being +10mm to PASM on sport and normal mode....

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    Here are all the details: -20mm is -10mm to the PASM which is -10mm to normal making normal + 20mm to the -20mm, but only +10mm to the PASM which is always + 10mm to the -20mm and -10mm to the non PASM oh and I forgot...-20mm is -10mm to PASM on normal mode and is -10mm to PASM on sports mode, Standard being +10mm to PASM on sport and normal mode....

Please forgive my compatriot. It seems that he was able to sneak out. We usually don't let our french speaking Swiss out into the wild without a healthy dose of tranquilizer, a jacket with no sleeves and a GPS-tracking device.

Quote:
    Matt C said:
    Quote:
    Gnil said:

Please forgive my compatriot. It seems that he was able to sneak out. We usually don't let our french speaking Swiss out into the wild without a healthy dose of tranquilizer, a jacket with no sleeves and a GPS-tracking device.

hahaha

Quote:
    throt said:

throt..

Sorry, punctuation has never been my strong point.

Someone tell the nurse I'm out of bed.

Quote:
    Gnil said:

That's almost as well put as I could have done it in French!!

Quote:
    bluelines said:
    Quote:
    Matt C said:
    Quote:
    Gnil said:

hahaha

Who said I went mad?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780506 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442472 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263274 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261589 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85740 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5891 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881320 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818554 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM