Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Eat ,Sleep ,Think Porsche .Does it ever end?

After canceling my long awaited BMW M5 order I ordered a new 911 c4s. With the help of this board and others I became an informed consumer.Now the problem is ,as the rest of you know it seems all I do is monitor this site and others.The last thing before going to bed I am thinking Do I get the Ceramic brakes(because of you FANCH)with your slate grey looking SOOO good with the yellow calipers.Actually it is my current screensaver!And you COOCHAS with your whole website which keeps me from working so that I may see some editor taking another test drive.I have a FEb. build and a April delivery.I just asked my dealer if i could get a LOANER until my car gets here in 10/12 weeks!!!!It better hurry and get here because nothing is getting done at home or at work cause I am allways on rennlist this or rennteam that.Do we ever get less infatuated or is the wait time between order and delivery seem to last forever?Cant wait for spring. I want to get off the computer and into my first PORSCHE. CRG.

Re: Eat ,Sleep ,Think Porsche .Does it ever end?

Haha nope! I took delivery last July '05, rennteam.com is my home page and I still eat, sleep, and think Porsche. It doesn't go away, and I still feel like the luckiest person in the world when I get into my 997S. It is almost scary how much this car becomes a part of you. Almost like finally getting that beautiful model that you never thought would go out with you... now she's here and she's all yours... and you never want to let her go.. you dream about her, and would be traumatized for life if someone were to take her from you.. Good luck with the wait, it is much more bearable with rennteam.. life is good!

My car has been in the garage with battery maintainer plugged in and I guess it's still there but I haven't looked in several days.

BUT when (eventually) I do jump in a drive I get all happy all over again

Even if I already have 2 Porsches in my garage, I also frequently eat, sleep and think Porsche. Porsche to me is more than just cars. It is kind of like my hobby and coming onto this forum is like hanging out with friends. It is hard to describe the feeling towards your Porsche. A new rock chip on the hood will spoil my entire day.....

Well said Tim.

Quote:
    Targa Tim said:
    Even if I already have 2 Porsches in my garage, I also frequently eat, sleep and think Porsche. Porsche to me is more than just cars. It is kind of like my hobby and coming onto this forum is like hanging out with friends. It is hard to describe the feeling towards your Porsche. A new rock chip on the hood will spoil my entire day.....

It's a sickness, I know I certainly have a chronic case.

Excellent posts, guys!

I don't pick up my baby for 8 months- my 1st Porsche! I've spent a lot of time here the past 9 months, it's been very informative and fun too.I think my Porsche sickness is getting worse.

Yargk,

A picture of your 930 would be great!

It's worst now, I hardly eat nor sleep now eversince I got the car ....dunno how long I can hold out any longer.

Quote:
    crg said:
    After canceling my long awaited BMW M5 order I ordered a new 911 c4s. With the help of this board and others I became an informed consumer.Now the problem is ,as the rest of you know it seems all I do is monitor this site and others.The last thing before going to bed I am thinking Do I get the Ceramic brakes(because of you FANCH)with your slate grey looking SOOO good with the yellow calipers.Actually it is my current screensaver!And you COOCHAS with your whole website which keeps me from working so that I may see some editor taking another test drive.I have a FEb. build and a April delivery.I just asked my dealer if i could get a LOANER until my car gets here in 10/12 weeks!!!!It better hurry and get here because nothing is getting done at home or at work cause I am allways on rennlist this or rennteam that.Do we ever get less infatuated or is the wait time between order and delivery seem to last forever?Cant wait for spring. I want to get off the computer and into my first PORSCHE. CRG.

You too!! I've also got 997 screensaver , worse part though, apart from the waiting (March build, May Delivery)is the 3000k's of breakin' in the car and not lettin' loose! Now that's gotta take another 2-3 months

The same here,
    I do not drive my 997S a lot , only when there is nice weather ( yes we have crappy weather her in Southern CA too, Heavy fog in the morning, Dusty during the day, the occassional rain, etc )
    But i do go to the garage very often just to look at it, that is the fun of having one.

Charliepug, I am trying to think of trips to fufill the breakin period.Trips to the kids college.Weekends to relatives in Michigan(windy roads).Maybe even a trip cross country to Las vegas to reach 2000 miles ASAP.I am sure you can find some free time once your car arrives. Be safe and dont forget there is no spare if you are heading to remote locations. CRG

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:

I don't pick up my baby for 8 months- my 1st Porsche!

WHAAAAAAT!? 8 M O N T H S ????? I could NOT wait that long! Might as well find a cooperative MD to discuss taking a coma-inducing drug for seven of them.

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    Excellent posts, guys!

I don't pick up my baby for 8 months- my 1st Porsche! I've spent a lot of time here the past 9 months, it's been very informative and fun too.I think my Porsche sickness is getting worse.

SVNSVN,

I feel the same way. My 997S was originally supposed to have been built on Jan. 4, but that was reportedly delayed because of heavy shipments of Cayman S's to the U.S. My salesman said that it was rescheduled for a build this week, with delivery hopefully the first week of February. I hope he's right. The closer the date gets, the more anxious I am to take delivery. At 58, getting my first Porsche is something I have looked forward to a long time. While the good folks here at Rennteam point out some of the problems, I am convinced that the 911 is the greatest sports car in the world. And I can't wait to begin my experience with it!

Jim

Quote:
    crg said:
    Charliepug, I am trying to think of trips to fufill the breakin period.Trips to the kids college.Weekends to relatives in Michigan(windy roads).Maybe even a trip cross country to Las vegas to reach 2000 miles ASAP.I am sure you can find some free time once your car arrives. Be safe and dont forget there is no spare if you are heading to remote locations. CRG

Hi crg! thanx for your tips. The best way I think is to go to the in-laws the other side of town (miles away), or to take the long way home from work.It's also a bit of a worry knowing there isn't a spare tyre, as I've punctured the Boxster sevral times. What would you do in that case? I know I wouldn't drive with a puncture! HELP

charliepug, 1.stay away from in laws house ..lol
    2.I think what i may do is go on a several hundred mile road trip after putting 0n a few hundred miles around town making sure there are no immediate problems with car.
    3.Scout out area dealers along your extended route to ensure tires and service available.
    4.Not sure if donut spare is available ,if it is you may want to bring along on trips that may bring you outside service coverage.One of these rennlists even showed a spare strapped into the rear seat.
    5.The option TPMS tire monitoring system may give you a early warning of tire trouble.
    6.Drive safely. CRG

MMD,
    LOL! Yeah, that's not a bad idea, or I may have to beg for more test drives between now and September.

Jim,
    No doubt, it's going be way worth the wait- the car is so amazing. You're going to love it! It does everything so well, flawlessly. Once again, congratulations!

To all the owners, waiters and prospectors... cheers!

This might be overkill or paranoid or neurotic but I just joined AAA. Porsche Roadside Assistance towing me to the dealer (50 miles from my home) doesn't do me much good if it's an evening or a weekend when they're closed. AAA can get me and the P-car to my home; I can call 800-PORSCHE the next business day.

dweiser,

I plan on doing the same- only about $75 per year.

Cool avatar- did you make it ?

I thought that I had finally kicked the Porsche habit a few years ago. I became addicted in 1974 at teh age of 19. It was a serious addiction as I fell more deeply addicted over the years. I went from a mild addiction initially with the 914 into a new 911S and then into much more addiction with a narrow-body turbo. I kicked the addiction in 1994 when I finally sold that turbo, deciding that I didn't need such artificial stimulants. Then about a year ago at a moment of weakness I found the redesign of the 911 too much to resist. (Fortunately for me the 996 design didn't appeal to me so I was able to stay off the Porsche habit during those years). Since the arrival of the 997 I have gone totally off the deep end, and it will probably only get worse beginning in May when I travel to Zuffenhausen to 'collect' my new S Cabriolet. I will again suffer a lengthy withdrawl as the car is shipped to the west coast of America and I hope to see it again around August 1st. I have tried to encourage people to never drive a Porsche, to sample one, even briefly, so as to avoid this terrible addiction. I would hope others could learn from my mistakes. But then, they would never learn what the Porsche experience is all about.

Dan

11-12 May 06--going to the mountain (Zuffenhausen)

Hi Richard,
    I just checked and it (AAA) cost me $42 for 14 months (12 plus 2 free), two vehicles covered. They sent me a deal in the mail I couldn't refuse.
    About the avatar, the town here is Brevard and it's a small quirky town of approx. 6,000 in the mountains. We call it "Southern Exposure" after the TV show "Northern Exposure" due to the, well, inhabitants. The toy store owner always wears a hat/beanie with a propeller on top, for instance. He offered free hot dogs during a sale one weekend and the owner of the 50s style soda fountain was so angry he walked over the the toy store and punched the guy out!

Our newspaper comes out twice a week.
    The town is "famous" for its white squirrels (more so all the time) and a white squirrel weather vane was commissioned by the town. I took this pic after it was up for a few days. I also have one with the white squirrel foreground and a beautiful American flag blowing in the wind just behind it. Local paper ran that pic on the 4th of July.

I promise I'll take this down immediately if asked OR tomorrow evening if I'm not asked to sooner but I just had to post it. There's even a Dove in it.
    Again, with apologies to all for being SOOOOOO off topic.

Thanks a lot Don!

My coverage is the extended plan: 100mi towing from home....I'll send you a PM with more details. Perhaps it's just cheaper in NC?

Brevard looks ( from your pictures and book) and sounds great! Another well kept secret in The Great US of A.

All the best!

Great shot!

Yeah, me too- sorry for OT.

Its an obsession and passion. Can any of you walk away from your car and not look at it? How dirty do you let your car get before you HAVE to wash it. Do you have Upgrade Obsession Disease (UOD) or Modification Obsession Disease(MOD). I have been diagnosed with both these. This obsession meant that i HAD to HAVE a 99 996 Carrera. A millennium Coupe, a 2001 Turbo and my 977. Not all at once mind you but I have kept trading up. So for me, NO it never ends. Oh ya, oops I forgot I have a deposit down on a 997TT. I think i need to see my therapist.

997CarreraS, I'm sorry to say it does end, eventually.

Your right , I need to stop. Right after the TT. I Have to put two kids through College at the same time. One in the fall and one 12 months after that.

Quote:
    997CarreraS said:
    Its an obsession and passion. Can any of you walk away from your car and not look at it? How dirty do you let your car get before you HAVE to wash it. Do you have Upgrade Obsession Disease (UOD) or Modification Obsession Disease(MOD). I have been diagnosed with both these. This obsession meant that i HAD to HAVE a 99 996 Carrera. A millennium Coupe, a 2001 Turbo and my 977. Not all at once mind you but I have kept trading up. So for me, NO it never ends. Oh ya, oops I forgot I have a deposit down on a 997TT. I think i need to see my therapist.

Actually, I think the Porsche and Piech family should come to you (and probably 90% of those on this board) to thank you for contracting those diseases and do what they can to make sure they are not terminal :-)

LOL, your welcome over any time. We can talk you through them and maybe you can help. Or maybe my accountant should just sit me down and give me a good talking to.

997CarreraS Where did you get the rear wing? Is it integrated into the existing deck lid, a complete replacement or bolt on. Mind me asking the cost. Think it gives the 997 a little turbo look...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780377 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442444 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263245 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261565 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85727 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5872 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881299 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818451 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM