Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

powerfigure

From a VERY reliable source (actually two), which exactly I can't tell you of course ,

I just got the info that the definite powerfigure for the 997tt will be 480 hp .

Re: powerfigure

Rossi can you ask your source if there will be a powerkit option for the 997T available at the start??

Quote:
    996cal said:
    Rossi can you ask your source if there will be a powerkit option for the 997T available at the start??

Give the man a break. BTW: I wouldn't have too much hopes, the 997 TT seems to have extremely good performance figures from the start, there is no need for a powerkit yet I'm afraid (or not ).

the same as I have heard a few times, some of very reliable sources. So 480 hp is 99,9% sure.
    But I doubt that 3,7 sec for 0-100 km/h is for the standard 997 tt. I think it will be for the 997 tt X50 with PDK.

AM

Quote:
    mumbasic said:
    the same as I have heard a few times, some of very reliable sources. So 480 hp is 99,9% sure.
    But I doubt that 3,7 sec for 0-100 km/h is for the standard 997 tt. I think it will be for the 997 tt X50 with PDK.

AM

Only a little hint: they wouldn't call the "event" NULL AUF... if it wouldn't be for the standard model. And IF this is the value for a PDK equipped car, PDK will be available from the start. One "spectacular" feature of the new technology is the highly improved throttle response.
    And since the Carrera GT production is ending April 2006, Porsche can "afford" to build a 3.7 sec. car like the 997 Turbo. And here's the rumor I heard: the 3.7 seconds should be possible to achieve by ANY driver. Just press the throttle and there you go. And no stupid waiting time to do the same thing again like on the M5/M6 launch control.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    mumbasic said:

AM

Only a little hint: they wouldn't call the "event" NULL AUF... if it wouldn't be for the standard model. And IF this is the value for a PDK equipped car, PDK will be available from the start. One "spectacular" feature of the new technology is the highly improved throttle response.
    And since the Carrera GT production is ending April 2006, Porsche can "afford" to build a 3.7 sec. car like the 997 Turbo. And here's the rumor I heard: the 3.7 seconds should be possible to achieve by ANY driver. Just press the throttle and there you go. And no stupid waiting time to do the same thing again like on the M5/M6 launch control.

good news!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
    RC said:

RC,
    I'm going nuts. why the hell are they taking so long to release the info. Does porsche know some people may have heart problems and they could be liable for their heart attacks .

If you've got heart problems, you shouldn't drive a TT in the first place .... you may have a heart attack while pressing the right pedal....

So may be Porsche is making sure potential buyers are rather fit ....

Quote:
    EricAlain said:

If you've got heart problems, you shouldn't drive a TT in the first place .... you may have a heart attack while pressing the right pedal....

I think the infos we are getting here seem to be now very precise and there will not be much left for surprises when the official info come out.
    Great forum!!!!

Quote:
    EricAlain said:

So Eric are you saying that these people don't qualify .

Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    mumbasic said:

AM

Any driver means PDK or Tiptronic
    But who cares if PDK or Tiptronic, if it could do it in 3.7 seconds

AM

If porsche claims 3.7sec quite possible to do it in 3.5sec!! their estimates are on the higher side generally looking at what Carrera S and Carrera timings have been.

Unfortunately the hosts on cnbc are not porsche nuts. They interviewed the Porsche design chief live from the detroit auto show. They could have asked him directly for a response.

He did say that panamera would be on sale in 09. Kinda slow.

Quote:
    racerx said:
    Unfortunately the hosts on cnbc are not porsche nuts. They interviewed the Porsche design chief live from the detroit auto show. They could have asked him directly for a response.
    He did say that panamera would be on sale in 09. Kinda slow.

yeah right, those loosers at cnbc didnt even react as he mentioned the porsche turbo as the top of the porsche range...

Quote:
    I just got the info that the definite powerfigure for the 997tt will be 480 hp .

Well according to Autoweek, that will put it at 41hp less that the Cayenne Turbo S. The vaunted 997 TT with less HP than a SUV. That's an embarrasment.

Quote:
    rsa said:
    Well according to Autoweek, that will put it at 41hp less that the Cayenne Turbo S. The vaunted 997 TT with less HP than a SUV. That's an embarrasment.

So what? What does the 997 Turbo have in common with the Cayenne Turbo S? I'm sorry but I don't get the point.
    So maybe Ferrari should feel embarrassed too, right? Or Lamborghini? Or Aston Martin? Or...

What counts is performance. And performance-wise, the Cayenne Turbo S isn't even close to the 997 Turbo. So honestly, I really don't get your point. When the Cayenne Turbo showed up, it was already 30 HP over the 996 Turbo power figure. Not to speak about the 500 HP powerkit version (which I own myself btw.) which is 80 HP over the 996 Turbo power figure and even 50 HP over the 996 Turbo S power figure.

Comparing apples to oranges...it never worked.

The 480hp figure is a big dissappointment. Autoweek says "this makes new S the second most powerful road car Porsche has ever placed into production" after the Carrera GT. What's their point? With the Z06 pushing over 500hp and weighing hundreds less than a TT, I think one should stand up and take notice. Instead of matching those figures, Porsche is busy building muscle SUV's. Don't get me wrong, I never implied there was a performance comparison. It's all about priorities. Don't bash me for making an observation.

I agree with you...the new TT should of been atleast 500hp and the S 530hp...

I think that Porsche are missing their chance if the power figure is 480b.h.p.
    I'm absolutely sure, that the 997 TT will beat the Z06 in almost every discipline, but there is one problem: These days people buy just NUMBERS! For the power, for the number of gadgets, all kinds of stupid driving modes and so on.... In two words the biggest part of the market are not enthusiast like me and you...., they just want NUMBERS.

Having owned 5 911s since the mid 80s, I've concluded that Porsche get's their " horsepower " from the crankshaft to the rubber on the road ( and that's all that really matters ) better than most everyone else. And we know that each of their factory RATED " horses " seems to run a little HARDER than some of their competitors !

Quote:
    Boyko23 said:
    I'm absolutely sure, that the 997 TT will beat the Z06 in almost every discipline,

The Z06 with 505hp weighs about 3200lbs. but, the Turbo will likey wiegh between 3600-3700lbs.

I'd like to know your reasoning for this conclusion, because, I don't understand how one car weighing more than another and have less power can out run the other.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Boyko23 said:
    I'm absolutely sure, that the 997 TT will beat the Z06 in almost every discipline,

The Z06 with 505hp weighs about 3200lbs. but, the Turbo will likey wiegh between 3600-3700lbs.

I'd like to know your reasoning for this conclusion, because, I don't understand how one car weighing more than another and have less power can out run the other.

Z06...0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds?
    Z06...0-100 mph in under 8 seconds?
    Z06...0-125 mph in aprox. 12 seconds?
    If yes, wow.
    And what about the Nordschleife track time? All this BS times available on the net are worth nothing because they're not confirmed by independent sources.

How is it possible that a "heavier" car achieves better performance? Maybe because of these reasons:
    1. we don't know the final weight.
    2. VTG technology (allowing a better throttle response and overall better "efficiency" regarding engine power and fuel efficiency.
    3. Porsche know their thing.

Let them surprise us. But make no mistake: if the 997 Turbo performance is crap, I'll be the first one to cry out loud and make fun of Porsche. Trust me.

Quote:
    BD 997 said:
    I agree with you...the new TT should of been atleast 500hp and the S 530hp...

I would love to see 700 HP on the new 997 Turbo. But does Porsche listen to me?

Guys, don't forget one thing: if the 997 Turbo REALLY achieves the rumored performance figures, 480 HP on the paper are OK to me. Why? Simple. Because there will be a 997 Turbo S and there will be a 997 GT2. I doubt that Porsche wants to offend Carrera GT buyers or even 996 GT2 buyers by offering a 911 Turbo base model which would blow away both, the CGT and the 996 GT2. This won't happen.

The Turbo S will be in the 515 HP range and the GT2 maybe in the 530 HP range. Now do the math and think about the possible GT2 performance compared to the 997 Turbo which is let's say 50 HP less powerful and probably 100 kg heavier than a possible 997 GT2. Right: Carrera GT territory. How to top that with the 998? Almost impossible.

So be happy with what you get, IF the rumored performance figures are valid.
    I agree, I think that from a marketing point of view, the 5 would have been very important. I also think that Porsche will "feel" that in 911 Turbo sales sooner or later after the big demand will be gone. But maybe this is part of a strategy too: Porsche knows that a lot of people are already very hot to get the new 997 Turbo, even with 480 HP "only", especially people like us who know how to appreciate REAL performance and not only HP figures on the paper. And there won't be enough cars for US enthusiasts in the first year. Then, the powerkit will be available to attract additional customers. And if the initial demand is satifised, let's say after two years of production, the 997 GT2 may be presented...a car for the "true" HP and performance lovers. And when 997 Turbo sales begin to slow down substantially...VOILA...welcome the Turbo S.

PLEASE don't nail me on this, I don't know if this is how Porsche's marketing strategy will look alike. The only thing I know for sure is: a lot of dealers in Germany will be happy if they get 5-6 cars for the whole year 2006 (starting with official start in Germany around June 24th 2006) and I bet it will be even worse in other parts of the world. And if somebody wants to make comparisons to the F430: in 2006 and maybe even in 2007, there will be more F430 on the road than 997 Turbo.

Like I said in an older post: it is almost too late to get a car this year if you didn't get on a waiting list. And soon it will be too late to get a car in the first half of 2007, in some countries it may even be worse. Don't say I didn't warn you. I told people the same when the 996 Turbo was due and most of them "laughed into my face". One of these guys paid a 50000 USD premium almost ONE year after the 996 Turbo came out to get one...in the US. I'm not kidding. I don't say that it will be THAT bad with premiums and availability but if you want a car fast and you don't want to pay premium, get on the list NOW and stop bragging about horse power figures.

Quote:
    If yes, wow.
    And what about the Nordschleife track time? All this BS times available on the net are worth nothing because they're not confirmed by independent sources.

Motor Trend 12/05
    Z06...0-60 mph in 3.8 seconds
    Z06...0-100 mph in 7.6 seconds
    Z06...0-126.6 mph in 11.6 seconds

Don't get me wrong, I'm no vette fan by any means, but I've come to respect the Z06. At Watkins Glen I found last gen Z06's to be very, very fast. This new one should be impressive indeed. I think the competition has upped the ante so far that Porshe needs to change their marketing strategy. This concept of "base turbo", "power kit", "Turbo S", etc. is dated. Make the power kit standard and go from there. Personally, I feel there should only be a Turbo S and GT2. We don't need watered down versions.

Quote:
    rsa said:Motor Trend 12/05

Yes, and notice that that's 0-126.6, not 0-125mph. I assume that is the terminal speed at the end of the 1/4 mile. I think I've seen some ever faster times in other publications as well. Not bad for $65k (less than 1/2 of well-equipped 997TT).

Quote:
    rsa said:
    Quote:
    If yes, wow.

Motor Trend 12/05

Don't get me wrong, I'm no vette fan by any means, but I've come to respect the Z06. At Watkins Glen I found last gen Z06's to be very, very fast. This new one should be impressive indeed. I think the competition has upped the ante so far that Porshe needs to change their marketing strategy. This concept of "base turbo", "power kit", "Turbo S", etc. is dated. Make the power kit standard and go from there. Personally, I feel there should only be a Turbo S and GT2. We don't need watered down versions.

Mk2 GT2 performance figures:

Test in sport auto 05/2004
    Gewicht 1463 kg
    0 - 80 km/h 3,0 s
    0 - 100 km/h 3,8 s
    0 - 120 km/h 5,2 s
    0 - 130 km/h - s
    0 - 140 km/h 6,4 s
    0 - 160 km/h 7,9 s
    0 - 180 km/h 9,8 s
    0 - 200 km/h 11,8 s

The cars seem to be very evenly matched (gain some, lose some, depending on their respective gears). I'm thinking Porsche will make the 997TT just a tad faster than the GT2 and the C6Z, in order to satisfy the clientele (hey, it will be the fastest sportscar in its class).

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Yes, and notice that that's 0-126.6, not 0-125mph. I assume that is the terminal speed at the end of the 1/4 mile. I think I've seen some ever faster times in other publications as well. Not bad for $65k (less than 1/2 of well-equipped 997TT).

Yes, you are right, that was 1/4 mile terminal speed. I believe you are also right about over publications posting even better times. The Motor Trend is the only one I still had lying around. The point being, these figures have been independently verified. Actually, the new Z06 is a godsend. I suspect it will force all the manufacturers to change their strategies.

Quote:
    rsa said:
    Motor Trend 12/05

I don't get you wrong at all. But why don't you compare the Z06 to a F430 or a Lamborghini Gallardo/Murcielago then?
    I still didn't see any performance figures published by a german car magazine, so I'm still a little bit sceptical. But I agree that you get a lot of performance from a car which costs the money of a Cayman S.
    The questions are: how does GM achieve such a low weight on the Z06? How safe is the Z06 in a crash? How reliable is the Z06 on a longterm run? How reliable is the Z06 regarding high speed durability, etc.? There is such a hype about the Z06 going on in the US right now but honestly, I'm still waiting for Sport Auto to put their hands on a car and test it on the Nordschleife.
    There is a saying: nothing is for free in life. The question is: how did GM achieve such a performance from a car at such a low cost? I doubt they have something to give away for free.

Making the powerkit "standard" doesn't make ANY sense from a marketing point of view. Why give away something people actually didn't ask for...yet. Me, you and a few others here on the forum are enthusiasts, freaks, whatever you want to call us. Most people really don't care about fraction of seconds, they care about design, prestige, 60 HP more than on the "old" 996 Turbo and finally they care about driving THE 911, the 911 Turbo. It is some sort of psychological thing. The 911 Turbo is in people's minds as the THE Porsche, no matter if there is a Carrera GT or a GT2.

And finally, let me ask you one thing and I really want you to be honest: when did you drive a 996 Turbo (not the 997 Turbo) at the limit lately? Especially in the US? On the track? Watered down version? You must be kidding. The 997 Turbo will achieve track times, even professional race cars couldn't achieve 10 years ago with the same power but a much lower weight. I think we should give Porsche a break. Comparing a 997 Turbo to a Z06 may be interesting for people living in the US, especially in "dryer" states like Texas or California. But over here in Germany for example, a Z06 would be a no-go for me. First, the Corvette still has that "pimp" thing sticking on it, at least over here in Germany where Vettes and Caddies were the favorite cars of...well, you know. Second, can I drive a Z06 on snow with winter tires? Does the Z06 run at top speed for several consecutive minutes at 40*C (over 100*F) without having problems with cooling/tires? How many dealerships in Germany can take care of a Z06 if something brakes down? And finally: what about resale value (not that I care but I would at least hope to get 20% of the new car value after five years ). And last question: would the tax authoroties over here accept a Z06 as a daily driver for business? I doubt it.

That said, I think we all should relax and wait for the 997 Turbo. If you don't like it, you can still get a Vette.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781330 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442680 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263404 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261756 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85877 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5939 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881505 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819184 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM