Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Cancelled my Cayman order to buy 911

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Quote:
    luko said:
    So much Cayman hate on this forum. "dodged a bullet" ... "don't buy the boxster hardtop lookalike".."costly and regrettable mistake"...yada yada...

Reminds me of when I was twelve years old arguing which was better, Sega or Nintendo.

That's easy...... Nintendo....

Yep

Quote:
    Ziggy said:
    Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Quote:
    luko said:
    So much Cayman hate on this forum. "dodged a bullet" ... "don't buy the boxster hardtop lookalike".."costly and regrettable mistake"...yada yada...

Reminds me of when I was twelve years old arguing which was better, Sega or Nintendo.

Yep

Nah! - Sega every time for me

Quote:

Indeed!!!

Quote:
    Gaz said:
    Quote:
    Ziggy said:
    Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Quote:
    luko said:

Yep

Sega didn't have Castlevania and Zelda

Thanks

You are right, LSD is missing from Cayman.

I agree with you. Downgrade to a Cayman is much easier.

Xenons - do not care, nice to have
    Navigation - have never used. This will be a dialy driver and I know my way around. I just the PCM look vs the standard Cayman stereo.
    -For everyday commute / comfort I prefer 18"

Congratulations 911godspeed!

I'd pick Seal Grey over Black!

Quote:
    (ex)Chef_jmr said:
    Sailor, Great color combination!!!

Unfortunately, my wife found out how much the GT Silver upcharge was, so that flew out the window..

But I'm sticking to my guns for the Cocoa!

Congrats, Sailor - nice color combo indeed

Jeff, LoL (exactly same situation over here with my wife).
    If you stick to the cocoa, what will be the exterior color ?
    If you want to save the money on the special colors, you might consider Seal/cocoa (you have to see this combo in person, because both colors are really hard to show in pics).

I went for a long test drive of the Cayman today....
    Nice, fun, easy, great sound acceleration from 5000 feels very charp, but It also feels more like a toy, some parts look cheap.
    In the 911 you are in a different world. I 'respected' it much more, the inside in much better ( no cheap plastics) and it doesn' t feel like a toy, but a true sports car

Is it not true that Porsche chose to use aluminium look materials for weight saving advantages and cost benefits in 997,987 and Caymans? I would not go as far as saying the Cayman interior looks cheap but 'like a toy' yes.

It's a tough thing to quantify, or explain, but I feel that there's this fine line, this obscure threshold, beyond which a car is so small it adopts a "cuteness" about it that runs counter to my manly-man instincts. A point where serious GT quickly devolves to fun little go-kart.

I admit, I've always had the problem with the Boxster, and it still dogs me with the Cayman. Obviously, you gain in decreasing size by decreasing weight and span of mass. I understand the "serious driver's" aspects of it. It's just an instinctive turn-off I get with cars that are across the line, a little too small, a little to cute-ish, a little to go-kartish. Just as the Lotus Elise must be a BALL to drive (I've never had the opportunity), but I could never imagine myself in one, just as I look a bit funny riding my 4-year-old daughter's Razor electric-powered dirt-bike.

It's perception, packaging. For all I know, the 911 is not significantly longer or "bigger" than a Cayman. It's just the way I soak it in. I'd love to buy a Boxster for my wife someday. But me??? The 911, for me, IS the entry-level Porsche. The other cars just aren't "me", regardless of how lithe and lightfooted they are.

Just some meaningless rambling....Not meant to offend anybody, it's just the way one guy sees cars on the road. I'm sure every local in a Chevy truck around here thinks I'm pretty fruity in my 997.

I think all Porsches look awesome going down the road- they're definitely very special. Yesterday I saw a Silver Boxster on the freeway coming from the opposite direction and it made me think WOW that is so sweet! That's always my reaction- love them all.

I am having a hard time believing this story.
    If we take the specifications provided the US list prices come to $61,990 for the Cayman and $76,460 for the 997 (assuming standard navigation in both).
    Is someone trying to convince us that there was a $9,500 discount given on a new 997?

Quote:
    It also feels more like a toy, some parts look cheap.
    In the 911 you are in a different world. I 'respected' it much more, the inside in much better ( no cheap plastics) and it doesn' t feel like a toy, but a true sports car

well there it is .... drive a 997 then drive a Cayman and I think anyone would come away feeling like this .

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    (ex)Chef_jmr said:
    Sailor, Great color combination!!!

Unfortunately, my wife found out how much the GT Silver upcharge was, so that flew out the window..

But I'm sticking to my guns for the Cocoa!

Congrats, Sailor - nice color combo indeed

Jeff, LoL (exactly same situation over here with my wife).
    If you stick to the cocoa, what will be the exterior color ?
    If you want to save the money on the special colors, you might consider Seal/cocoa (you have to see this combo in person, because both colors are really hard to show in pics).

Seal/Cocoa is my first choice at the moment.

I've seen some beautiful Carrara Whites around lately, but it stands out too much for me (not the sort of attention I'm looking for). Atlas works too, a little dark, but amazing depth. That goes for Slate, too.

I would not walk away from Seal, classic color!

I made a mistake with my calculations.
    The Cayman as described would have a US list price of $64,960 whereas a similarly optioned 997 would be $76,460.
    That is a difference of $11,500 in list prices.
    For the 997 to be purchased for only $5k more than the Cayman the discount on the 997 would be $6,500.
    If that kind of discount is available on a 997 then we can probably kiss goodbye to our residual dreams. "Today's discount is tomorrow's depreciation".

Quote:
    Eden said:
    I would not go as far as saying the Cayman interior looks cheap but 'like a toy' yes.

Yes, not cheap, but the price of a Cayman! The roof pannel and specialy the A pillar has some ' Cayman' range plastic... not comparable to the materials used on the 997. Obviously the price and range difference has to be seen somewhere..

Quote:
    Ziggy said:
    Quote:
    Gaz said:
    Quote:
    Ziggy said:
    Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Quote:
    luko said:

Yep

Sega didn't have Castlevania and Zelda

What about Road Rash. The satisfaction of throwing a chain in the wheels of your opponents bike. Love that game.

"Yes, not cheap, but the price of a Cayman! The roof pannel and specialy the A pillar has some ' Cayman' range plastic... not comparable to the materials used on the 997. Obviously the price and range difference has to be seen somewhere.. "

Interesting. I own a 997 and a Cayman and I cannot see the difference in quality that some people seem to find so obvious. In fact I would say that the quality of the plastics is identical. Which I am fairly certain is the case, just as the doors are absolutely identical, as are many other components at the front of the car.
    Perhaps the perceived differences are all down to "cognitative dissonance".

Hard to beat a black Porsche for sheer beauty.
    I have Seal Grey and although it can look a bit "conservative", as one whose purpose in this life is not to keep his car perfectly clean at all times, I'm happy to say Seal Grey, when dirty, doesn't look dirty but looks just a little less shiny, as someone already posted and said it better, no doubt.
    Black can also be very hot in a warm climate.

Love your signature Don, but I guess the Liberal-Democrats over here would disagree!! Personally I think they're all full of $hit.

Cayman:approx
    -PCM/Nav = $3175
    -Heated seats = $480
    -Sports Chrono = $920
    -Sports steering = 250
    -Bose = approx $950
    Sticker including destination = $66.5K

Like I said before. The discount I got was based on a previous family purchase for two Mercedes 500 and a 911-s. So do not worry too much. You can get anywhere from $2-4K discount if you try hard. Obviously, it may not be your local dealer etc. Regardless, my Cayman came pretty close to 911. The difference was the other side of the decimal when you are talking about a $70.5K (incl tax) purchase on Cayman. I hope this clarifies.

All,
    Thanks for you suggestions on color selection. I went with Black ext / Black int.

Does anyone have any side by side pics of s vs non-s? I want to see if height difference due to PASM and 19" make any significant difference from an overall look standpoint.

Once black, never look back!

Quote:
    KenH said:
    "Yes, not cheap, but the price of a Cayman! The roof pannel and specialy the A pillar has some ' Cayman' range plastic... not comparable to the materials used on the 997. Obviously the price and range difference has to be seen somewhere.. "

Interesting. I own a 997 and a Cayman and I cannot see the difference in quality that some people seem to find so obvious. In fact I would say that the quality of the plastics is identical. Which I am fairly certain is the case, just as the doors are absolutely identical, as are many other components at the front of the car.
    Perhaps the perceived differences are all down to "cognitative dissonance".

In my 997 the roof panel is made of alcantara, in the Cayman it was plastic ( maybe this is due to the leather option in the 997 ?)
    The A pillar in my 997 is plastic with a 'leather'look like finish, soft to touch. In the Cayman it was a hard even plastic... not the same at all

"The A pillar in my 997 is plastic with a 'leather'look like finish, soft to touch. In the Cayman it was a hard even plastic... not the same at all"

They do indeed have a different finish but that does not equate to a difference in quality. I doubt if there is any cost difference.
    I have just been out in my 997 and I struggle to see how Porsche can justify the enormous price increase over the Cayman.

I just had a close look at my 997 and I see it features the same "hard even plastic" as the Cayman's A pillar. It is used on the doors (in front of the door pulls) for example.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780506 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442472 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263274 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261589 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85740 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5891 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881320 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818554 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM