Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

SL55 Recall?

I heard about SBC failure from braking over 200km. Does anyone know if this rumour is true?

Re: SL55 Recall?

The only thing I heard was a problem with Motronic (software programming ?) but this was a few weeks ago.
    Didn't hear anything about braking problems.
    AMG doesn't seem to be very open minded towards critics, the official AMG Owners Club kicked me out because I doubted some test results and I'm sure that they'll keep anything regarding problems pretty top secret. If they have to unveil a problem (for legal reasons), it might take some time.
    If I'd were in Germany now, I could find out but I'm in the US and don't have access to AMG stuff right now. Sorry.
    Maybe someone else over here has more information ?

The only thing I heard was a problem with Motronic (software programming ?) but this was a few weeks ago.
    Didn't hear anything about braking problems.
    AMG doesn't seem to be very open minded towards critics, the official AMG Owners Club kicked me out because I doubted some test results and I'm sure that they'll keep anything regarding problems pretty top secret. If they have to unveil a problem (for legal reasons), it might take some time.
    If I'd were in Germany now, I could find out but I'm in the US and don't have access to AMG stuff right now. Sorry.
    Maybe someone else over here has more information ?

Check this out RC! I frequent Funcarsonline a lot (your forum is much better, I promise!) and found this bit of information out.

The reason for the recall is that Mercedes found out during testing that the new E55 would have been faster than the SL55 (Mercedes Flagship) due to lighter weight and better aerodynamics. Well, Mercedes just couldn't have that right?!

So all Mercedes SL55 AMG cars that have already been built and delivered are being recalled to bump horsepower up to around 500bhp (496 bhp actual). This will then guarantee that all SL55's will outrun their E55 brethen from the factory. It is also notable that the S55 and CL55 will also receive the new SL55 engine this fall as an upgrade for 2003. Interesting stuff!

So now I think you may have been right to doubt those performance figures because it seems that Mercedes can easily tune this supercharged 5.5L V8 to outrageous performance heights just with a few simple tweaks. Maybe the AMG Owners Club owes you a big apology? What do you think RC?

Things that make you go hmmmmm!

This is by no way my personal opinion but information that I have gathered from various sources... Well, the questions to RC are at least mine... I'll confess to that!

Check this out RC! I frequent Funcarsonline a lot (your forum is much better, I promise!) and found this bit of information out.

The reason for the recall is that Mercedes found out during testing that the new E55 would have been faster than the SL55 (Mercedes Flagship) due to lighter weight and better aerodynamics. Well, Mercedes just couldn't have that right?!

So all Mercedes SL55 AMG cars that have already been built and delivered are being recalled to bump horsepower up to around 500bhp (496 bhp actual). This will then guarantee that all SL55's will outrun their E55 brethen from the factory. It is also notable that the S55 and CL55 will also receive the new SL55 engine this fall as an upgrade for 2003. Interesting stuff!

So now I think you may have been right to doubt those performance figures because it seems that Mercedes can easily tune this supercharged 5.5L V8 to outrageous performance heights just with a few simple tweaks. Maybe the AMG Owners Club owes you a big apology? What do you think RC?

Things that make you go hmmmmm!

This is by no way my personal opinion but information that I have gathered from various sources... Well, the questions to RC are at least mine... I'll confess to that!

I heard the same story as well, it seems that AMG now sells the SL55 officially with 500 HP. Well, if you're right, the AMG Owner's Club owns me even more than an apology but I have to confess ... I don't need it and I don't want it. These guys are completely out of this world, try to write something critical on their web forum and they censor immediately. Try to comment something with critical thoughts and they "yell" at you. This is no Club, it is more an elite association, at least some of the members think it is. It is strange that only Club members get certain deals and special modifications but "normal" AMG customers don't. Benefit of a Club ? Maybe. But from my experience you have to keep your mouth shut if you want to join them. I'm pretty excited to see what happens when the US version of the AMG Club opens. I don't think US members will accept to have their mouths shut up or their posts censored. Just can't wait to read the outcry and protests.
    We will testdrive a SL55 AMG pretty soon and do some real life comparison to some sportscars out there to be able to judge if the SL55 is really that fast. Yes, the E55 would have been faster than the SL55 due to the almost 200 kg lower weight. If AMG decides to put more power on the SL55 to maintain the difference to the E55, that's fine to me. I just want to have a ML55 AMG with that engine, I don't care about their high power limousines or roadsters. If I want to buy a sportscar, I know where to shop. It surely won'be Mercedes though.

I heard the same story as well, it seems that AMG now sells the SL55 officially with 500 HP. Well, if you're right, the AMG Owner's Club owns me even more than an apology but I have to confess ... I don't need it and I don't want it. These guys are completely out of this world, try to write something critical on their web forum and they censor immediately. Try to comment something with critical thoughts and they "yell" at you. This is no Club, it is more an elite association, at least some of the members think it is. It is strange that only Club members get certain deals and special modifications but "normal" AMG customers don't. Benefit of a Club ? Maybe. But from my experience you have to keep your mouth shut if you want to join them. I'm pretty excited to see what happens when the US version of the AMG Club opens. I don't think US members will accept to have their mouths shut up or their posts censored. Just can't wait to read the outcry and protests.
    We will testdrive a SL55 AMG pretty soon and do some real life comparison to some sportscars out there to be able to judge if the SL55 is really that fast. Yes, the E55 would have been faster than the SL55 due to the almost 200 kg lower weight. If AMG decides to put more power on the SL55 to maintain the difference to the E55, that's fine to me. I just want to have a ML55 AMG with that engine, I don't care about their high power limousines or roadsters. If I want to buy a sportscar, I know where to shop. It surely won'be Mercedes though.

RC,

WHAT! AMG Club members get to have "special" mods put on their cars that "regular" maybe more wealthy customers can't. That is rediculous! That would be like PCCA (Porsche Car Club of America) membership allowing me to have certain Porsche Exclusive options that regular customers could not. PCNA would laugh in your face if you brought that up. What gives!? And when is the AMG Owners Club coming to America? I have never heard of it. Is this a club organized solely by Mercedes itself or a third party? I am just really curious and would like to know more about it. Is there a website for it? If so what is it?

I personally would rather have a Porsche as sports car, I certainly agree with you! But you have to admit that the new SL55 and E55 are two really nice all around high performance cars! I have to give Mercedes a lot of credit there. Those two are probably the first Mercedes cars I have ever really "desired". Well maybe three...One car I think Mercedes really has got right (sports car wise) is the AMG Special C32 AMG Sportscoupe'! Too bad it is extremely limited edition! Are you going to do a test on it? It looks great and with the C32 V6 Kompressor engine along with the Sportscoupe's lighter weight it should be the fastest Mercedes out there! WOW! What do you think? Does anyone have any more pictures on it? The AMG site really has no pictures what so ever except for a distant rear three quarter view.

Thanks for the input and this forum is awesome! Keep up the good work!

Robbie

RC,

WHAT! AMG Club members get to have "special" mods put on their cars that "regular" maybe more wealthy customers can't. That is rediculous! That would be like PCCA (Porsche Car Club of America) membership allowing me to have certain Porsche Exclusive options that regular customers could not. PCNA would laugh in your face if you brought that up. What gives!? And when is the AMG Owners Club coming to America? I have never heard of it. Is this a club organized solely by Mercedes itself or a third party? I am just really curious and would like to know more about it. Is there a website for it? If so what is it?

I personally would rather have a Porsche as sports car, I certainly agree with you! But you have to admit that the new SL55 and E55 are two really nice all around high performance cars! I have to give Mercedes a lot of credit there. Those two are probably the first Mercedes cars I have ever really "desired". Well maybe three...One car I think Mercedes really has got right (sports car wise) is the AMG Special C32 AMG Sportscoupe'! Too bad it is extremely limited edition! Are you going to do a test on it? It looks great and with the C32 V6 Kompressor engine along with the Sportscoupe's lighter weight it should be the fastest Mercedes out there! WOW! What do you think? Does anyone have any more pictures on it? The AMG site really has no pictures what so ever except for a distant rear three quarter view.

Thanks for the input and this forum is awesome! Keep up the good work!

Robbie

Well, try as an "ordinary" AMG customer to get the wheel with the (working !) button shifting from the CL55 F1 safety car in your C 32 AMG or SLK 32 AMG. The AMG Owners Club makes it possible. Or try to have a sport suspension installed on your C 32 AMG, something which isn't offered by AMG officially. There are more examples of rebates and other advantages. I don't blame them for that, I'd do the same for my club members. But you have keep a "low level profile" to be considered a "good" member. I didn't and I got kicked. I could have fighted on that by informing AMG and my dealer but for what ? I'd never buy a AMG "sportscar", so it isn't really a problem for me.
    I agree, the SL55 and the upcoming E55 are some very nice products. But if you already own a fast 996 Turbo, it isn't that much important. Maybe I'll switch my wife's SLK for a SL55 in the future but right now I'm pretty annoyed by the little persistant problems I got with my ML55, I don't know if I'd buy AMG anymore. Time will tell.
    BTW: the AMG Owner's Club is an officially "approved" Club, it is not a Club run by AMG or Mercedes.

Well, try as an "ordinary" AMG customer to get the wheel with the (working !) button shifting from the CL55 F1 safety car in your C 32 AMG or SLK 32 AMG. The AMG Owners Club makes it possible. Or try to have a sport suspension installed on your C 32 AMG, something which isn't offered by AMG officially. There are more examples of rebates and other advantages. I don't blame them for that, I'd do the same for my club members. But you have keep a "low level profile" to be considered a "good" member. I didn't and I got kicked. I could have fighted on that by informing AMG and my dealer but for what ? I'd never buy a AMG "sportscar", so it isn't really a problem for me.
    I agree, the SL55 and the upcoming E55 are some very nice products. But if you already own a fast 996 Turbo, it isn't that much important. Maybe I'll switch my wife's SLK for a SL55 in the future but right now I'm pretty annoyed by the little persistant problems I got with my ML55, I don't know if I'd buy AMG anymore. Time will tell.
    BTW: the AMG Owner's Club is an officially "approved" Club, it is not a Club run by AMG or Mercedes.

I agree with you Christian, my experience as an AMG customer hasn't been wonderful, I'll think about it twice before buying one again.
    I've heard about the new M5 which will probably have a V10 with 500 hp! This might be interesting...

I agree with you Christian, my experience as an AMG customer hasn't been wonderful, I'll think about it twice before buying one again.
    I've heard about the new M5 which will probably have a V10 with 500 hp! This might be interesting...

Got some new information about the braking "problem": it seems it was only something about a certain screw which had to be exchanged. No real danger as far as I heard. I have details but can't post them because it would be clear what source I used. Don't worry, no real problem.

Got some new information about the braking "problem": it seems it was only something about a certain screw which had to be exchanged. No real danger as far as I heard. I have details but can't post them because it would be clear what source I used. Don't worry, no real problem.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776802 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441558 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262695 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260838 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85111 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5516 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880552 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815695 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM