Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997TT how much over MSRP ?

How much over sticker do you think a well optioned 997TT will bring in the states . I do not plan on doing it but I bet there are some who plan on making their 997TT available for sale if the money is right . I would think if you were one of the 1st to get the car it could be sold for quite a bit over sticker in those first few months of production until Porsche catches up with the back order lists . I hate the whole flipping car concept but I guess it is inevitable .

Re: 997TT how much over MSRP ?

25,000 (USD) big ones baby..

throt..

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    How much over sticker do you think a well optioned 997TT will bring in the states . I do not plan on doing it but I bet there are some who plan on making their 997TT available for sale if the money is right . I would think if you were one of the 1st to get the car it could be sold for quite a bit over sticker in those first few months of production until Porsche catches up with the back order lists . I hate the whole flipping car concept but I guess it is inevitable .

I'm number 2 ( expect it in first US shipment in about 6 months ) and anyone here is welcome buy my car for $$$ over , lol, since it now looks likely that I'll have to wait a year for the DSG/PDK gearbox.

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    I hate the whole flipping car concept but I guess it is inevitable .

On that we can agree. Lousy scalpers.

The problem with getting a big number over sticker is that there will be so many that would have no problem selling their own car as you know in 6 months to a year they are going to be very available and they can just get another one . With the 430 if someone sells their car it may take years to get another one so not that many people want to sell and be without the car for that long . I would think that 15 -20K over sticker would be easy to get if you are one of the ones who is in that first batch . I remember buying a 89 speedster and when the car came in people were selling their cars for 30-40K over sticker it was so tempting but you could not get another one as they only made about 800 .

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    OCEAN said:

I'm number 2 ( expect it in first US shipment in about 6 months ) and anyone here is welcome buy my car for $$$ over , lol, since it now looks likely that I'll have to wait a year for the DSG/PDK gearbox.

Prob few $K premium for first 6 mos, w/5-10% mkt price delta btwn NYC and LA/SF.

Am first on 997TT list at dealer. But what would I drive if I flipped car for a few measly bucks?....this car is my 15K mi/yr commuter AWD SUV (replacing my 996TTS)...

Bet initial cars will have few avail options (so blk/blk w/std plastic P interior ); so will drive 997TT 6-9 mos before ordering another 997TT w/all the Exclusive touches....and then get a 997TTS w/PDK, etc whenever that comes out....in past, have had very reasonable oper and deprec costs w/being early in key model cycles (all w/$0 dwn leases to minimiz sales tx hits and cap costs)...and high-velocity purchs lead to various vol "discts" and preferential svc, etc....and my view is any modern car has an obsolescence half-life similar to PC/tech devices...so its useful life to me is 15K mis/1 yr, whichever comes first....

Quote:
    OCEAN said:

Sorry but I don't see why anyone would pay a penny over sticker for a car. Hey the crazy cars we buy are overpriced as it is. Sorry but there is no car that is worth more then MSRP. Now this is just my opinion as I know some people will pay it. I just don't see why. But I don't have to be the first on the block to own one.

Most dealers will go to the list - as signed up. Most of us will wait our turn and just pay MSRP. A few scaplers may prevail - but most dealers won' t screw around.

Quote:
    bstew said:
    Quote:
    OCEAN said:

Sorry but I don't see why anyone would pay a penny over sticker for a car. Hey the crazy cars we buy are overpriced as it is. Sorry but there is no car that is worth more then MSRP. Now this is just my opinion as I know some people will pay it. I just don't see why. But I don't have to be the first on the block to own one.

I agree. I won't even pay MSRP!

Quote:
    jonquiljo said:
    Most dealers will go to the list - as signed up. Most of us will wait our turn and just pay MSRP. A few scaplers may prevail - but most dealers won' t screw around.

It really depends on the dealer and how fast you want the car. 997 Turbo availability will be very short at the beginning, especially in the first six months of production.
    I know how many cars the german market gets before the summer factory shutdown and all I can tell you is: ouch. Probably not even enough to offer more than two cars (incl. launch cars) for all german dealers. That said, I think that in the first months, a lot of people are willing to pay over MSRP.
    So how good are your chances to get a car as early as possible? Bad.
    If you are a good customer at your dealership (better: THE best customer), chances are good to get a car fast and at MSRP or slightly below (if the dealer is nice). If you never bought a Porsche and you want to get a car at MSRP or even below, forget about getting one of the first cars. No chance.
    It also depends on HOW you pay, paying cash is always more attractive to dealers than a lease for example. But even here it depends on the dealer, some get extra cash for lease deals, etc.

The best advice I can give you if you want to have a 997 Turbo as early as possible: go to your dealer NOW and talk to him. As soon as the press release is out, most dealers will surely get additional orders and you can forget about getting one of the first cars.
    And if you're willing to pay over MSRP, don't be too hasty. If you're willing to wait another 6-12 months, chances are very good that you can get a car at MSRP or even slightly lower. But remember: when the 997 Turbo is out on the market, it may be too late to go for one of the first cars without having to pay a lot of money over MSRP. So make a decision now, you'll be happy you did.

I can not tell you how many times I have walked into Beverly Hills Porsche and seen the as they call it " flooring charge " that is the extra over MSRP charge .

P.S. It is time for a 997TT section .

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    P.S. It is time for a 997TT section .

It's getting more difficult to sift through the subjects to find the 997TT ones. Time for it's own section.

yea , I did not want to start another thread about a separate section as it is already so cluttered here in the 997 section .

Quote:
    RC said:
    It really depends on the dealer and how fast you want the car. 997 Turbo availability will be very short at the beginning, especially in the first six months of production.
    I know how many cars the german market gets before the summer factory shutdown and all I can tell you is: ouch. Probably not even enough to offer more than two cars (incl. launch cars) for all german dealers.

Yep, and it will not get better for the rest of the year.
    My dealership is not really a small one, and they have an allocation of only 6 cars for 2006 in total.
    And of course, all of them already sold (customers on the list since 2004).

I would say 25K will be the number you will need to pay over sticker if you want the car in that first 3 - 6 months and I am sure there will be lots of people willing to sell their car to make and easy 20K .

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    I would say 25K will be the number you will need to pay over sticker if you want the car in that first 3 - 6 months and I am sure there will be lots of people willing to sell their car to make and easy 20K .

Wow 25K over sticker and if they sell it a year later they will lose 50K. But if you have that kind of money why not.

Quote:
    RC said:

Well, yes. I have a deposit in that makes me #11 at a dealership. Essentially I get the 11th allocation at that dealership. I trust them to be fair - its really not worth their bother to do otherways. Hopefully this dealership will get a high allocation - they expect 2-3 per month, so I may wait a few months. I'm hoping for about December 2006 delivery, but would be really happy if it was September.

What is to stop some dealers taking their first few allocations and charging over sticker , it is legal and to my knowledge PCNA has no rules about it . . I guess it will all depend on the integrity of the dealer , but I am sure many will go out the back door so to speak or get flipped back to the dealer for over MSRP premiums .

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    What is to stop some dealers taking their first few allocations and charging over sticker , it is legal and to my knowledge PCNA has no rules about it . . I guess it will all depend on the integrity of the dealer , but I am sure many will go out the back door so to speak or get flipped back to the dealer for over MSRP premiums .

I think the dealers have more integrity than that. Certainly the amount of money to be had is not worth it for them to do that. Most
    Porsche dealers I have known have some sort of decency.

Perhaps on e-Bay ....

Just like top jewelry stores asking 11K for a 6K Rolex Daytona that is in the display case .

The dealers set the price over sticker because some will pay. I wont but some will.

With the way Porsche dealers are discounting new inventory, simply paying MSRP would be like paying a premium.

over msrp for 997???
    i get discounts ,not pay premiums...

can you tell me, how many % you get? (pm me please)

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    over msrp for 997???
    i get discounts ,not pay premiums...

It depends from country to country, there is no general rule. If demand for a certain model is high, there is no rebate. If demand is low, rebate is no problem. Simple market rules.

porsches do not command premiums anymore

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    porsches do not command premiums anymore

They do if there aren't enough of them.

The 997TT will be hard to get the first 6 months and I am sure there will me cars to be had for over MSRP many do not mind paying so they do not have to wait .

I don't understand this "habit" of paying more. Margins on sports cars are already HUGE. On a TT, I would not be surprised if P makes a profit of 50-70k. On a Ferrari, it's even worse.

I know that US dealers don't play fair (specialy F dealer) but customers should tell them to go *******. You know what I mean.

If I was in the market for a TT, i'd rather wait a few months than pay what ever they are asking.

well, it was confirmed to me yesterday that i can get through a broker friend of mine one of the first ten cars in germany for MSRP with delivery in May. Only thing is that he would be buying the car and then sell it me immediately..Was initially thinking that I would wait for 6m- 1yr to buy a slightly used one for a bit of a discount but this is tempting especially if I can use it for a couple of months and then sell it for same price I bought it for..

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781654 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442773 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263450 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261836 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85942 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5975 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881608 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819463 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM