Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997tt video

Nice catch! but too bad that it's so dark and difficult to see any details of the car. Nice engine-noice however .. Weird that only the back-wheel spins when he tries to accelerate away, wouldn't the front-wheels move as well? Or would it be possible maybe to disconnect the 4wd to make powersliding more fun? .. maybe part of the sport-crono pack in the TT along side the overboost, hehe.

looking forward to see a vid soon in the daylight taken by an enthustiastic german

Nice catch...I just wonder why THE HECK is nobody taking an interior picture???

I do not get it if the cars are running around in plain sight why do we not have better pictures and pictures of the interior etc . In a world where paparazzi do not miss anything why is it so hard to get good close up shots and video ?

Quote:
    RC said:
    Nice catch...I just wonder why THE HECK is nobody taking an interior picture???

I know...I think we should all put some money together and send someone who lives the closest to the testing site to do our investigative work. Who's in?

nice job mate!!!

anyway maybe that was 997c4s with turbo bodykit?

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    I do not get it if the cars are running around in plain sight why do we not have better pictures and pictures of the interior etc . In a world where paparazzi do not miss anything why is it so hard to get good close up shots and video ?

Paris Hilton can't get her butt moving as quickly as a 911 turbo, so those guys just go for the easier target.

How can you guys tell it is a 997 TT?

Quote:
    Lukas said:
    Weird that only the back-wheel spins when he tries to accelerate away, wouldn't the front-wheels move as well? Or would it be possible maybe to disconnect the 4wd to make powersliding more fun?

Perhaps it's a 997-GT2 test mule?

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    OCEAN said:

Paris Hilton can't get her butt moving as quickly as a 911 turbo, so those guys just go for the easier target.

Yeah, one would think she could keep up with a 911Turbo-I doubt she is naturally aspirated either.

Quote:
    bstew said:

It is a 997 TT, the "author" of the videos contacted me via eMail, he is also a User of Rennteam but he forgot his Password and his registration eMail, so he sent it via eMail. BTW, guys: this is the sound of the "end product".

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    OCEAN said:

Yeah, one would think she could keep up with a 911Turbo-I doubt she is naturally aspirated either.

Wonder how long it'll be before she starts carrying a spare tire.

Very nice Sound for a Porsche Turbo indeed.
    the movie though remind me a horror film or something with a maniac killer with a camera...

Paris' turbo is overboosted, but direct injection....

Quote:
    bstew said:

Easy....besides RC's info, Queue up Video I....then hit Pause to freeze-frame seconds 00:05 through 00:09. The turbo air scoop behind driver door is clearly outlined--looks same as daylight spy pics--as are the new 3-strake x 5-spoke turbo wheels.

RE wheelspin--wouldn't AWD torque-transfer to front axle ordinarily kick in earlier?

Very nice catch. The new year starts off real nice .

The exhaust sounds better than I thought a turbo would sound. This is great news.

Quote:
    bazza said:
    nice job mate!!!

anyway maybe that was 997c4s with turbo bodykit?

And side airvents?

That was about as exciting as watching grass grow

Quote:
    Lukas said:
    Weird that only the back-wheel spins when he tries to accelerate away, wouldn't the front-wheels move as well?

Maybe due to the cold temperature, the oil in the torque convertor isn't at the right operating temp. I'm no expert at this, but I remember reading about how the AWD on the 997 has oil in the convertor that aids in the distirbution of power from the rear through the convertor to the front wheels. And it takes a little time for the oil to "warm" up to the most effective temp...:n

Maybe someone else can chime in??? Help...

The Hammerhead sounds good, though.

Quote:
    chef_jmr said:
    Quote:
    Lukas said:
    Weird that only the back-wheel spins when he tries to accelerate away, wouldn't the front-wheels move as well?

Maybe due to the cold temperature, the oil in the torque convertor isn't at the right operating temp. I'm no expert at this, but I remember reading about how the AWD on the 997 has oil in the convertor that aids in the distirbution of power from the rear through the convertor to the front wheels. And it takes a little time for the oil to "warm" up to the most effective temp...:n

Maybe someone else can chime in??? Help...

The Hammerhead sounds good, though.

Wasn't there talk about a newly developed AWD system for the 997TT? Might have something to do with it...

Quote:
    chef_jmr said:
    Quote:
    Lukas said:

You are obviously thinking not of the torque convertor but of the viscous coupling between the transmission and the "secondary" drive axle of many 4-WD cars, which only conducts torque to that axle when it "detects" slip of the "primary" drive axle.

It works due to heat generated in the silicon-based fluid in the coupling heating up as a result of the input and output shafts running at different speeds and becoming more viscous, hence "locking" the coupling.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    chef_jmr said:
    Quote:
    Lukas said:

You are obviously thinking not of the torque convertor but of the viscous coupling between the transmission and the "secondary" drive axle of many 4-WD cars, which only conducts torque to that axle when it "detects" slip of the "primary" drive axle.

It works due to heat generated in the silicon-based fluid in the coupling heating up as a result of the input and output shafts running at different speeds and becoming more viscous, hence "locking" the coupling.

Yea, that's the ticket! So, could that have anything to do with the rear tire spin we witnessed in the video, or was I totally off?

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    bstew said:

It is a 997 TT, the "author" of the videos contacted me via eMail, he is also a User of Rennteam but he forgot his Password and his registration eMail, so he sent it via eMail. BTW, guys: this is the sound of the "end product".

So the author of these video's just happened to see a 997 Turbo and started filming? I dont really get what they are doing, driving up and down the street, seemed a bit confusing to me. Will the author be getting back onto rennteam?

Also, great video's! Great find!

Quote:
    Porsche930S said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    bstew said:

So the author of these video's just happened to see a 997 Turbo and started filming? I dont really get what they are doing, driving up and down the street, seemed a bit confusing to me. Will the author be getting back onto rennteam?

Also, great video's! Great find!

Yeah, with all the snow they have had there in Europe, they could have done some awesome "doughnuts" with the PSM turned off.

Quote:
    OCEAN said:

Because the pics and videos we see are leaked by Porsche themselves? Just a little clandestine survey of public reactions (final adjustments may be necessary). In due time we'll see interior pics. All just part of Porsche's marketing "genius?"

Quote:
    chef_jmr said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    chef_jmr said:
    Quote:
    Lukas said:

Yea, that's the ticket! So, could that have anything to do with the rear tire spin we witnessed in the video, or was I totally off?

Yes - it takes time for the mechanism described above to transfer power to the front wheels, so it is conceivable that on a brief throttle opening like the one in the video, only the back wheels would spin. I've seen this happen with 996C4S's on snow/ice in Canada.

Cool thanx for sharing

But you guys are missing the important bit: Did that sound like a manual tranny to you Me neither.....
    Although I haven't been around DSG (PDK) cars too much to tell the difference between it and an auto tranny. Maybe someone else here can

(PS RC, christmas is over )

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:
    Quote:
    [

Yes - it takes time for the mechanism described above to transfer power to the front wheels, so it is conceivable that on a brief throttle opening like the one in the video, only the back wheels would spin. I've seen this happen with 996C4S's on snow/ice in Canada.

I am a little disappointed by that since it is rumoured that the Turbo will get a new 4wd system. But this looks very much like the good old viscous based system that requires the oil to heat up to provide torque to the front wheels as you say.

If the Turbo had had the (electronically controlled) Haldex system that Audi and Volvo switched to from viscous, it would have detected wheelspin after less than 1/5 of wheel rotation, and we wouldn't have seen the rear wheel do a couple of rotations like in the video.

How much do you think the new 997 Turbo will COST??

Temm, you are right! This 997tt is almost for sure tiptronic. I tried both new Golf's GTI and R32 with DSG is it is changing gears from first to second little bit differently than Tiptronic...
    Regarding wheel spin-you can do that with tiptronic gearbox... And this 997tt is for sure preproduction test car, who says that everything on it is working prefectly??

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779807 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442363 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263170 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261476 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85686 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5843 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881190 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817981 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM