Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Any Leipzig C-GT Reports?

OK, it's the end of August. I didn't take the opportunity to go to the Carrera GT ride and TT/GT2 drive at Leipzig, so I'm dripping with anticipation. I'd love to see some pics, or hear some good gossip from those who attended.

Anybody?

Re: Any Leipzig C-GT Reports?

I was on the trip, and I am sure others will have reports and pictures soon. In summary, the CGT is a race car modified well for street use. Performance and roadholding are stunning, and finish is excellent.

The factory (and associated race and SUV track) is absolutely first rate. For a note on driving a Cayenne Turbo on the track and SUV course, see my post on the Cayenne Board.

Am off on a business trip, or would add more now. If you are a customer for the CGT, get ready for one powerful, brutal, beautiful experience. This is new ground for a street Porsche...

yeehaw!!!! been waiting anxiously for the last couple days to hear! more, more more :-)

i'm confirmed on the 3/04 ride :-)

I guess I'll bite the bullet...

In London now, but I guess I'll post a short write up. It was nice meeting Syd, Larry and all the other participants who attended.

The CGT itself is a car on another planet. If you thought the Turbo or GT2 is insane, wait until you sit in this thing. The acceleration, cornering, OMG...(crazy G forces!) It's hard to describe the feeling unless you're there to experience it. There was a black and silver CGT we got to ride in. The driver of the black one was definitely the more aggressive of the two...constantly dropping the clutch and peeling out of the pitlane. The sound just gave you goose bumps. In addition, the black CGT is this guy's personal every day car. That's how a car should be...daily driver by day...race car on the weekend. Just shows you how usable the CGT can be. Really though, this car was made for the track...only place you can explore its full potential.

Had a chance to also ride the Cayenne Turbo on the track. What an amazing vehicle for an SUV. Have you seen an SUV drift on the track??? :-D As Syd said, we also took some Cayenne Ss off-roading. It's jungle handling capabilities are more than amazing. We were going up insane inclines and stuff. Also drove a GT2 on track. Compared to the Turbo, it has much better brakes (PCCB) and less lag...instant punch.

That's all I'll say...others please add more.

Cheers,
    -Nick

P.S.: Sorry for all the ugly "Copyright" notices...I just don't want anybody stealing my images.

More images...

More...

Last one...

Re: I guess I'll bite the bullet...

Don't worry about the copyright notice (though I have to admit it is a little bit annoying at this size ), thanks a lot for the nice pictures.
    I wish I could have been there but my wife awaits our second child anytime...
    Must have been a great time.

Well, I thought some of the younger techie's would have posted by now so I wouldn't have to bother RC by sending him my pictures for him to post. Here's my recap of an absolutely fantastic experience. I arrived in Leipzig from San Francisco on Sunday afternoon, being met at the airport by a Porsche representative and transferered(all transfers were in Cayenne's) to an excellent hotel in downtown Leipzig. From the moment of arrival at the Leipzig airport, until departure on Tuesday morning for the return flight to San Francisco, all arrangements and expenses were taken care of by Porsche. On Sunday evening we were hosted at a well known cellar restaurant for a casual and spirited dinner. Wine flowed without restraint and the only reason many of us restricted our consumption was because we did not want to do anything that might take the edge off of our day at the factory and on the track the following day. Mid-morning on Monday, the 25th, we were transfered to the track on the outskirts of Leipzig. The factory is very contemporary, with the diamond shaped customer center the dominant feature. The "Selection Store", as you would expect, is very convenient and tempting. We are then indoctrinated as to how the day will unfold - a video and presentation regarding the facility and the Carrera GT, lunch, a tour of the museum, a tour of the production facility, three hours of track activity, and the opportunity to drive the off road course in Cayenne's. The production facility, where no pictures were allowed, is a seven stage or platform arrangement. No production line in the traditional sense. Each car moves on a dolly along each stage, with stage #1 being a carbon fiber shell, which we saw, to a finished car at stage #7, which we also saw, in this final stage, having it's lights adjusted. I believe they said they have produced seven cars to date, all for the press and display purposes. Customer cars will not start production until October, at the earliest. We then went to the track for rides in the two pre-production Carrera GT's, as well as the opportunity to drive, unaccompanied, in two GT 2's, a Turbo X50, a Carrera C4S,and a regular Carrera. The Carrera GT is phenomenal. The g-forces created on turns is not to be believed. The car is very, very solid. The acceleration in a 0-60 mph straight line is not exceptional (I think my Murcielago probably is stronger) but from there on, up to the approximate 140 mph we hit on the straight, it is beyond anything I have ever experienced to date. The sound from the exhaust is F1 like. A very high pitched sound. I made a total of eleven laps, about 33 miles, in three different runs. I think most everyone who exited the car after a ride, felt motion sickness. In between the Carrera GT rides we were able to use the other cars on the track. This was my first opportunity to experience a GT 2 on track. I found the car very nervous and it required more attention than I felt I was able to give it to maximize it's potential. A thrilling car, and unlike the Carrera GT, a bit scary. I felt so secure in the Carrera GT as a passenger. The off road course in the Cayenne was another eye opening experience. Steep inclines, angled roads, water, well every terraine one can imagine, and the Cayenne performed perfectly. We returned to Leipzig for a concert and dinner at at beautifully restored castle, shared the remarkable day we had just experienced, and certainly, as future owners of the Carrera GT, certain we have made the right decision to purchase the exceptional super car.

Wonderful summary, Larry, thanks for all the details.

Sounds like Porsche provided first-rate customer treatment, may that continue throughout your CGT ownership.

Looking forward to the pics ...

Quote:
    The car is very, very solid. The acceleration in a 0-60 mph straight line is not exceptional (I think my Murcielago probably is stronger) but from there on, up to the approximate 140 mph we hit on the straight, it is beyond anything I have ever experienced to date. The sound from the exhaust is F1 like. A very high pitched sound. I made a total of eleven laps, about 33 miles, in three different runs. I think most everyone who exited the car after a ride, felt motion sickness. In between the Carrera GT rides we were able to use the other cars on the track. This was my first opportunity to experience a GT 2 on track. I found the car very nervous and it required more attention than I felt I was able to give it to maximize it's potential. A thrilling car, and unlike the Carrera GT, a bit scary. I felt so secure in the Carrera GT as a passenger.

Larry,
    Thank you for the excellent report. I too am anxious to see the pics.

I have a couple of questions regarding the passage from you that I quoted above. You mention that 0-60 didn't feel as strong as your murcielago and I was wondering if you're basing that from driving the lambo and comparing it to being a passenger in the CGT, or from experiencing acceleration runs from the passenger seat of your lambo. I suspect--I could be way off base--that those differences would change your perception of the CGT's quickness.

Secondly, as to your experience in the GT2, do you think that you would've felt just as secure if one of the pros had been driving it? It would have been a very interesting comparison to first be driven in a GT2 for several hot laps and to then step into the CGT and then drvie a GT2.

Again, thank you for the report and please send those pics!

Greg A

Quote:
    Well, I thought some of the younger techie's would have posted by now so I wouldn't have to bother RC by sending him my pictures for him to post.

No problem, Larry. I can post/resize all pictures you send me, this is what I'm here for.

Thanks for the nice report, I almost felt like being there.

Nick and Larry, thanks for the reports! Sounds like quite an experience, huh?...
    --Pierre

Thanks Larry, Excellent write up. It felt like a good book, I was sad when there was no more to read.

Greg:Regarding the 0-60 opinion, it is based on being a passenger in both cars. In the Lambo, the professional driver was from the Russell School at Infineon Raceway. From that experience, and most recently at Leipzig, it just didn't seem as though the CGT was noticeably faster. Also, in published materials by both manufactures, 0-62 in the Lambo is 3.8 sec. and the CGT at 3.9 sec. At our introduction of the CGT, the Porsche presenter addressed the issue of 0 to 100 kph as not an appropriate comparasion for "super cars". It should be 0-200 kph, or 300 kph was his opinion. As far as the GT 2, since I like to drive my cars whenever I want, and most often on the street, not just on the track or with professional drivers (I do hire a professional each time I add a high performance car, for a day on the track), I just found the concentration required for the GT 2 was higher than I like for enjoyment of the ride. I am certain you are right on regarding a professional driving the GT 2 back to back with the CGT. That would have been a very fair comparison. I have had some problem sending the pictures to RC. I'll keep trying.

Larry,
    Thank you very much for the information. I too believe that 0-60mph is not a great comparison point for supercars, but I was curious anyway. I also wonder, given your feeling in the GT2, if the problems would've been cured by adjusting the suspension settings. I know you didn't have time to do anything like this during your Leipzig trip, but I find it interesting to consider.

I look forward to seeing your pics.

Greg A

Quote:

P.S.: Sorry for all the ugly "Copyright" notices...I just don't want anybody stealing my images.

Sorry Nic,

Remember that you get more in return when you give something.
    Luckily there are other members like Pierre who will testdrive the GT too. He is a good photographer and always willing to share his experiences with other enthusiasts. Waiting for your report Pierre. Respect !

I can understand this attitude when you take pictures for your living, but not in other cases.

Rufie.

Pierre will share his pictures. I can't wait for that.

Quote:
    I have had some problem sending the pictures to RC. I'll keep trying.

Problems? Sorry to hear that. If I can be of any help, let me know.

I was in Leipzig the 1st of september for the GT Event.
    I will write my report later tonight and try to post some pictures as well.
    Maybe even include a short video.

Quote:
    I was in Leipzig the 1st of september for the GT Event.
    I will write my report later tonight and try to post some pictures as well.
    Maybe even include a short video.

Looking forward. Great

Rufie

Re:I guess I'll bite the bullet...CGT/Enzo content @ the end

Hi Rufie,

You know...I thought a long time whether I should respond to your post. You say: "Remember that you get more in return when you give something." Let me ask you, what do you have to contribute besides from commenting negatively on what I had to share? It's people like you who make me hesitant to post.

I did give something...a short write up and some pix. I was too tired and still suffering from jet lag while I was in London, hence I didn't write much. Besides, I'm not as eloquent as Larry or CF, who provided wonderful reports. Regarding the copyright notices, yes, I'm sorry they look ugly...and no, I'm definitely NOT a professional photographer. However, I have had people taking my images, using it on their website, and claiming it as their own...saying it's their car or what not. That's what pisses me off the most. I know it's the Internet and I don't mind you using my pictures, but don't say you took them or it's your car if in reality it's not. Hence the big copyright notices. I would have made "much" smaller and nicer ones, but was tired and wanted to enjoy my limited time in Europe.

Anyhow, I "might" share some more in the future...and I will take your comments into consideration if I do. The copyright notices will be small and unobtrusive. I have lots of other pictures and video of the CGT also...but the video will have to wait until I have time to edit out all the bad stuff and only leave the highlights.

Cheers,
    -Nick

P.S. Many of you have talked about the Enzo vs. the CGT, well according to a Porsche rep at the event...the CGT beats it by 21 seconds on the "Ring." Now now, I don't want to spread nasty rumors and say something false...maybe my hearing was off and it was 2.1 seconds...but Porsche somehow, some way, was able to test the 2 cars and the CGT came out on top. I forgot whether it was Excellence or Panorama, but they made a similar comment...not giving out lap times, but saying the CGT compared favorably to the Enzo at the "Ring."

Quote:
    P.S. Many of you have talked about the Enzo vs. the CGT, well according to a Porsche rep at the event...the CGT beats it by 21 seconds on the "Ring." Now now, I don't want to spread nasty rumors and say something false...maybe my hearing was off and it was 2.1 seconds...but Porsche somehow, some way, was able to test the 2 cars and the CGT came out on top. I forgot whether it was Excellence or Panorama, but they made a similar comment...not giving out lap times, but saying the CGT compared favorably to the Enzo at the "Ring."

Nick,
    Don't let one person's comments deter you from posting. I--and many others here--appreciate the fact you shared your pics and your experience. I also hope that I will be able to view the video.

Now, about the CGT vs. the Enzo. The comment that was in the magazine (I can't remember either, but it was Pano or Excellence) referred to what someone at Porsche had told them. There was no specific info, only that Porsche said they had tested the two cars and the CGT was faster. I seriously doubt it could be 21 seconds quicker. Anyway, what do you expect Porsche employees to say about their supercar?

Greg A

yeah, 21 seconds is not believeable but 2.1 is not only believeable, but likely imo. there are a couple things in the cgt (for example, mucho lighter and smaller ceramic clutches and resultant lower center of gravity, etc) which would suggest it should probably edge out the enzo, but not by much. i'd expect both cars to perform very comparably - until it's time for service which one needs much more often and expensively than the other.

Quote:
    Regarding the copyright notices, yes, I'm sorry they look ugly...and no, I'm definitely NOT a professional photographer. However, I have had people taking my images, using it on their website, and claiming it as their own...saying it's their car or what not.

If i may suggest an ideea, you could do something like this:
    (i used larry's picture). Efective, without being obnoxious.

Quote:
    Hi Rufie,

You know...I thought a long time whether I should respond to your post. You say: "Remember that you get more in return when you give something." Let me ask you, what do you have to contribute besides from commenting negatively on what I had to share? It's people like you who make me hesitant to post.

I did give something...a short write up and some pix. I was too tired and still suffering from jet lag while I was in London, hence I didn't write much. Besides, I'm not as eloquent as Larry or CF, who provided wonderful reports. Regarding the copyright notices, yes, I'm sorry they look ugly...and no, I'm definitely NOT a professional photographer. However, I have had people taking my images, using it on their website, and claiming it as their own...saying it's their car or what not. That's what pisses me off the most. I know it's the Internet and I don't mind you using my pictures, but don't say you took them or it's your car if in reality it's not. Hence the big copyright notices. I would have made "much" smaller and nicer ones, but was tired and wanted to enjoy my limited time in Europe.

Anyhow, I "might" share some more in the future...and I will take your comments into consideration if I do. The copyright notices will be small and unobtrusive. I have lots of other pictures and video of the CGT also...but the video will have to wait until I have time to edit out all the bad stuff and only leave the highlights.

Cheers,
    -Nick

Hello Nick,
    First of all I want to apologize for my too direct approach. I think I have reacted too fast.
    I completely agree with you. People that use your pictures and claim as it is their own, this is unacceptable. If I use pictures of somebody else, I always mention my source or I refer a thankword to the author. I don't wanna steal, just share.
    There's nothing wrong with a copyright notice, but to be honest : with the size you used, the picture wasn't worth looking at any longer . But now you've explained why and I thank you for taking my comments in consideration. I even consider of using a small notice for my own pics in the future. Just against the people you mean.

What do I contribute ? If I attend a Porsche meeting I put my pics afterwards online. F.e. you can find my pics of the Porsche Days 2003 in Francorchamps here : http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/albuo63 .
    I hope you like them. Next month I go for a factory tour in Zuffenhausen. I hope to photograph some interesting things in the neighbourhood (I know that inside it's forbidden).

Please don't hesitate to post more pics and videos of the GT we all dream of !

Friends ?

Rufie.

Hi Rufie,

Yes, friends, definitely. I just wanted to clear the air a bit. No offense taken.

I'll post some short vid clips of the CGT peeling out of the pits and some around the track. I might need some web space though, not sure how big the clips will be. However, give me about 2 weeks or so. I have some friends from abroad over and plus, unfortunately need to work! I haven't even had time to buy the firewire cable to connect the camera to my computer. Got the camera just for the event and when I came back, realized Canon was TOO cheap to include one. Hopefully the quality won't suffer when I transfer it over to my computer, but I can assure you, watching it on TV, it's near DVD quality (picture wise, the sound is still a bit weak). I also have pictures from a regular camera I took...I'll post those if I have the time to scan them.

So keep your patience. I'll post on the board for help if I need web space.

Regards,
    -Nick

tia!

I wanted to tell you all that I also attended the Leipzig event
    with the Carrera GT; and that it was an absolute blast! First
    of all I wanted to say that it was a sincere pleasure to meet
    Larry; who has posted recently, as well as everone else at the event. What a great group of enthusiasts, and what a bunch of fantastic cars they all own! I could not list them here; just too many.
    The Porsche Carrera GT is:
    1) A Race project diverted to street use. That's never been done before by a manufacturer. The V-10 motor was the catalyst; when the prototype project was shelved; it was decide by upper managment, to be developed for customer use.
    2) The entire structure is Carbon Fibre.The "tub", body, and inner panels are all hand-made Carbon. Believe it or not, made
    in Italy, at great expense, by hand. The structure is ultra rigid
    and you can feel that, the moment you go through a corner
    at speed. The car responds in a totally linear fashion, with all
    steering input. I was with Roland Kassamul, totally sideways,
    (Traction Control off) and he was countersteering huge drifts
    with ONE hand on the wheel. Just little flicks of input. Perfect!
    3) The motor is to die for. The sound is all Porsche,and fantastic. For those of you familiar; it sounds kinda like a Judd
    V-10 in the American Lemans Series. What a rocket- ship !
    3) The brakes are ,of course, un-real. The enormous ceramics
    take off huge speed, like a full race car.
    4)The GT is so beautiful in person, it must be seen to be believed. It is mega wide. The attention to detail, superb. The
    shape is all Porsche.
    5) Porsche engineers are saying that Walter Rohrl was 20 seconds quicker at the "Ring" than the Enzo; and they claim it
    has something to do with mid-corner downforce. They could
    be repeating the truth; or they could be perpetuating Porsche
    urban-legend. The latter is not like them. But I can tell you;
    they are proud of their "Baby"; as well they should be !

Take Care, Revvv

Re: So it is true...I wasn't hearing things!!! CGT beats...

Enzo by 20-21 seconds on the "Ring." Awesome. Thanks for the detailed report Revvv.

Cheers,
    -Nick

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781032 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442594 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263362 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261681 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85821 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5915 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881442 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818957 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM