Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: What ever happened to the 959?!

Great pics Andy!!!

how does it sound like?

omg i wish i could buy one!! i'm so in love with this car!

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    I remember reading about those 200 models, the engineers had to align them next to eachother to prove the racing authorities that they were ready, which in fact they were not, those cars had then to go back to Werk 1 for production, cool story.

I guess they didn't trust them anymore after the 917 story..

The 959 became too expensive, who knows why? It brought Porsche is severe financial trouble, that's why Wiedeking was so keen to earn money instead of losing it on that car.

The 959 was a technological masterpiece, similiar outstanding as the CarreraGT in terms of transferring racing technology to the street. In terms of handling it wasn't as agile as the F40, its sophisticated AWD system made it impressive on any road surface though. Extremely stable even in the worst weather conditions.

Funny thing is that Porsche went for technology in that car and for pure racing style in the CGT, right the opposite as Ferrari did on F40/50 and the Enzo!

I'd say collectors are not willing to sell their 959s, that's why you hardly see any of them. What indeed seems to be problematic is the engine electronics, which are very complex and expensive to repair.

Besides that I doubt that you have seen a 288 GTO - they look pretty similiar to the 328/308 but have a glasfibre body.

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Besides that I doubt that you have seen a 288 GTO - they look pretty similiar to the 328/308 but have a glasfibre body.

I know how to differentiate a 288 GTO from a 308/328 and I know that the 3 look similar. But the 288 GTO is much wider and it has those quad sqaure foglights, it WAS a 288 GTO I saw.

P.S I didn't take this pic, just showing you what I meant about the quad fog lights and wider body

Quote:
    killer said:
    Very true. Wasn't Bill Gates one of the first individuals in the U.S. to get one? I heard that he had to design a crash test program that he developed with porsche (meaning software)... in order to get it to pass U.S. regulations (quite naturally, porsche wasn't going to crash a bunch of the cars just to get them to pass U.S. regulations).

-A magazine a few years back did a cracking review of an older 959. They compared it to the 996TT and said it was technically faster and everything like that, however, it just feels different. The turbo's on the 959 were not as smooth as the 996TT... the person driving the car said that when the turbo's kicked in "it felt like someone kicked you in your stomach." The writer admitted that the car was very ahead of its time, however, compared to the current 996TT... the 996TT would be his choice... simply because the TT felt safer. The 959 actually scared him to drive b/c it felt a lot more raw than any current porsche.

Both Bill Gates & Paul Allen bought 959s and they sat for years in a customs warehouse (I believe) in Oakland, CA. Don't know what eventually happened to them. I guess they were either eventually federalized or sold out of the US.

i had no clue bill gates would be into cars

The magazine that did the comparison was with 993 Turbo S and 959 was Car & Driver 8 years ago. This is the friend that Rev and I speak about that owned both cars.

Quote:
    rick s. said:

Quote:
    killer said:
    Very true. Wasn't Bill Gates one of the first individuals in the U.S. to get one? I heard that he had to design a crash test program that he developed with porsche (meaning software)... in order to get it to pass U.S. regulations (quite naturally, porsche wasn't going to crash a bunch of the cars just to get them to pass U.S. regulations).

Both Bill Gates & Paul Allen bought 959s and they sat for years in a customs warehouse (I believe) in Oakland, CA. Don't know what eventually happened to them. I guess they were either eventually federalized or sold out of the US.

No, they got them and now they use them because they can be legalized in America now. That's how I got to see mine!

And Mike S., It's very, very, loud. If I can remeber, it didn't sound like a flat-6 engine. Very racecar like.

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    I remember reading about those 200 models, the engineers had to align them next to eachother to prove the racing authorities that they were ready, which in fact they were not, those cars had then to go back to Werk 1 for production, cool story.

Fanch, I think you may have got the 959 mixed up with the story of 25 homologation special 917s (?)which were lined up in a yard for inspection. I have a photograph of them in a book somewhere.

The 959s were built over such a long period of time that they couldn't have been held at the factory for inspection.

ok now i'm REALLY confused...

@ Andy: ahhh very true what you say! but i still can't picture bill gates behind the wheel of a sports car

know what ! all those I.T guys love cars and video game i even saw him playing video game on a picture!

look here
    http://www.fanatec.de/

If i'm not wrong, Auto Salon Singen in Germany has 4 or 5 959's for sale there.

Woshhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    Ferdie said:

I know how to differentiate a 288 GTO from a 308/328 and I know that the 3 look similar. But the 288 GTO is much wider and it has those quad sqaure foglights, it WAS a 288 GTO I saw.
    P.S I didn't take this pic, just showing you what I meant about the quad fog lights and wider body

The most noticable difference is the gills behind the rear wheels. Surprised no one mentioned that.

i saw it drive past from the front, so i don't think i took much notice of the rear

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:

Fanch, I think you may have got the 959 mixed up with the story of 25 homologation special 917s (?)which were lined up in a yard for inspection. I have a photograph of them in a book somewhere.

The 959s were built over such a long period of time that they couldn't have been held at the factory for inspection.

Fritz,
    Shame on me!
    I'm gettiing old. I think you may be right man, and that's the story where some of those 917s where not even finished right?
    I read some of them had to be pushed in the courtyard for the picture bc they didn't even have an engine in them right!
    Yes, of course, it makes sense, how could you line up 200 cars in Werk 1 courtyard anyway!

BTW, you would konw, was the 959 initially planned only for racing purposes or for commercial purposes?

Thanks and sorry again.

I don't think anyone could picture Bill Gates driving anything other than a honda civic. But he is a billionaire.. so looks can be decieving- case and point, his home in WA has a 30 car garage. We can just assume that it is full of very very special vehicles.

Someone had a picture of some arabian prince's garage. It had a 4 door ferrari 456, a convertible Ferrari that was NEVER a convertible (again, I think a 456) and a bunch of other cars that were completely custom made by the original manufacturers. I think it was the same prince that went on a rolls royce shopping spree.

Quote:
    killer said:
    I don't think anyone could picture Bill Gates driving anything other than a honda civic. But he is a billionaire.. so looks can be decieving- case and point, his home in WA has a 30 car garage. We can just assume that it is full of very very special vehicles.

Someone had a picture of some arabian prince's garage. It had a 4 door ferrari 456, a convertible Ferrari that was NEVER a convertible (again, I think a 456) and a bunch of other cars that were completely custom made by the original manufacturers. I think it was the same prince that went on a rolls royce shopping spree.

i know that the sultan on brunei ordered 6 rolls royces phants at once

Quote:
    AndyM said:
    Quote:
    rick s. said:

Quote:
    killer said:

No, they got them and now they use them because they can be legalized in America now. That's how I got to see mine!

And Mike S., It's very, very, loud. If I can remeber, it didn't sound like a flat-6 engine. Very racecar like.

Bill Gates & Paul Allen have been car guys for a long time. They used to time themselves between Microsoft in Redmond, WA and Seatac airport to see who was quickest. I don't remember what the numbers were, but seems to me that 13 minutes was talked about (roughly 25 miles). This was in the early to mid 80's when traffic wasn't as thick as it is today. Could have been one of the reasons why the feds weren't quick to federalize their 959's.

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    the veyron also isn't sensible, because bugatti/VW are making a loss on it, but they're just making just to show that they can?

So far they've only showed us that they can't.

Re: Bill Gates and his 959

He eventually got his federalized and licensed for US road use.

He mounted one of his 959's onto a plexiglass pedestal inside his house several years ago. He even had lights
    installed shining up under the car so people could marvel
    at his prized Porsche. But, like all things thought to be perfect, the lights used were too strong and melted the tires into the plexiglass. He had to have the car lifted
    off and towed to a repair shop.

Bill Gates daily driver is a Lexus.

I could say more about Bill Gates and cars, but I wont.

If you want to own a 959 in the US, contact Canepa Motors in California. The are the people currently federalizing them for sale here.

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    /quote]

Big deal. He ordered 5 McLaren's at once!

Quote:
    killer said:... the person driving the car said that when the turbo's kicked in "it felt like someone kicked you in your stomach."

I'll take it!

Re: Bill Gates and his 959

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    If you want to own a 959 in the US, contact Canepa Motors in California. The are the people currently federalizing them for sale here.

Honest? Any idea on what's required to federalize the car and any ballpark # on asking price?

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:
    the veyron also isn't sensible, because bugatti/VW are making a loss on it, but they're just making just to show that they can?

So far they've only showed us that they can't.

can't in what aspects?

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:
    /quote]

Big deal. He ordered 5 McLaren's at once!

http://www.canepa.com/SportsLuxury/Showroom.asp

woah sdy!!! Bugatti EB110 and Porsche 959 in same showroom!!!

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    woah sdy!!! Bugatti EB110 and Porsche 959 in same showroom!!!

hehe, i know! if only that was MY showroom

I'll take the 962...

I'll take the... all of them....

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    Ferdie said:

Okay, okay, you're the man...

I haven't seen a 288 on the street yet, just lined up at some Concour parades. Haven't seen a 959 on the public road either though...

Have seen two EB110s though!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    803121 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448524 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266049 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90027 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6518 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885615 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833129 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM