Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Leather Dash Retrofit?

Can this be done? I bought a cancelled order 997s, but it did not have full leather, just leather seats can the stitched dash and leather stitching surrounding the PCM be retrofitted?

Re: Leather Dash Retrofit?

Not worth it!

Getting the estimate or retrofit at Porsche service department might kill you. Very dangerous to receive answers to this retrofitting question. Better not to ask the question and go on living your life with the wonderful dash you already have.

A new 997S is an expensive car. There are alot of dealerships around the country, and alot of cars are currently available across the U.S., with alot of different colors and options. Why not find a car that has all the options you want, instead of "settling" for something somebody else ordered, missing the all-leather interior you want? Alot of money to spend, on a compromise from the get-go. Worst-case scenario, you pay $250 bucks for a plane ticket to go after your car and drive her back. Retrofitting the dash and the PCM surround would likely carry an UGLY price tag, the potential havok of tearing your dash apart to do it, and then your door panels and 1/4 trim panels won't match, so the car would always be a cross-breed mutt interior. I would leave it as-is, or find another car.

Doubt it very much.
    Even if it could you'd still be missing the doors and rear panels. It would be half a leather package and probably never come out as good or last as long. Also I would only Remove the dash and nav panel if absolutely necessary.

Hopefully you'll just forget about it soon enough. I've got the same as you and find I really enjoy it. The faux will probably outlast anything else.(not that I'll keep the car that long)

Not Worth it...

Quote:
    Hopefully you'll just forget about it soon enough. I've got the same as you and find I really enjoy it.

Good advice I'm sure from another BayArea guy! As you know, there have been NO 997S's around (pretty much anywhere in CA), I was lucky to get mine and only have to wait a few months. I have a 997s cab, black/black, PSE, short shifter, and I LOVE the car.. OK gotta get out and enjoy this weather

Quote:
    greggr107 said:
    OK gotta get out and enjoy this weather

lucky man... i'm stuck in my office waiting for a client!

DIY new leather dash!

Wait a sec. here's the dash going in (thanks to RC for the photo in Rennteam gallery).

If you could buy the dash in leather you could certainly change it out.

I would do it myself though, after getting thorough directions to the disassembly puzzle.

But once you have the dash out, it is very easy to unsnap and unscrew all the the modular components, very easy to put back in.

Getting your hands on the exact step by step process of getting it out is the greatest obstacle.

Re: DIY new leather dash!

Thanks for the pic and info.. I have leather seats, and also leather stitching on the door (not sure, but according to one post above, I guess it's different on the full leather interior). Anyways, if I just had the dash and PCM surround in stitched leather, I think it would go perfect with my other leather, not look like a 'hybrid'. I'll try and snap some pics and post 'em, pls tell me what you guys think. I am happy with the car, just was curious if this was a viable thing to do without completely tearing things apart. BTW, I don't think I'd want to attempt that one by myself, I wouldn't want to screw something up

Quote:
    greggr107 said:
    I wouldn't want to screw something up

What's good about it is it requires no special skills. Everything is assemblesd in a modular fashion. It all has a particular order. Components were even *designed* to be assembled in that order. You just be very methodical and attentive. It's a matter of unfastening things and re-fastening and doing it all in the right order; being very organized.

It's not like rebuilding an engine which involves a number of skills that only experience can provide. F.ex. "knowing" the best way to get a particular frozen stud out without screwing things up big time.

It would be a BIG project. The only reason I'd do it myself is because I'd be afraid the Porsche mechanic would get five phone calls and take three breaks while working on my car. Chances for a troublefree transplant of a dash under those circumstances seem remote.

Quote:
    greggr107 said:
    Good advice I'm sure from another BayArea guy! As you know, there have been NO 997S's around (pretty much anywhere in CA), I was lucky to get mine and only have to wait a few months. I have a 997s cab, black/black, PSE, short shifter, and I LOVE the car.. OK gotta get out and enjoy this weather

greggr107,

The BLACK interior looks very nice- even without the full leather. Just enjoy!

OK, where's the pics you've been promising?

At times I felt that on the 997 with black interior the car looks sportier without the full leather. Don't get me wrong the full leather is beautiful, but in black I think I prefer the standard interior on this type of car. On my mom's cadillac I would prefer the full leather interior. Anyone agree?

I think we're over-thinking this. It's a car, not an ethos. Equip it in a way that suits your sense of style and class and utility, not in a way that enslaves you to some preconceived stereotype of what a sports car is "supposed" to be. Leave that puritan fantasy crap to the Star Trek geeks.

I'm all messed up about this. Leather on the dash looks good. I ordered maximum leather w/o leather dash. I am going to get the car soon and I'm gonna love it's interior with the "plastic" dash.

Problem is from then on I (we?) have to avoid sitting in a car with a leather dash! There's a definite difference but it is CERTAINLY one you can live without.

Agreed MMD, when i first started this thread, I was just curious if it was something others have done, and if it was relatively simple. I am actually alreay accustomed to my interior, which is beautiful as it is. I have been lost in my PSE!! (With RC's mod, of course) I love it! Don't beat yourself up, your 997's gonna be beautiful inside.

Hallo,
    been on holiday for 10days and going away again tomorrow...u
    I have a cab without full-leather too, because my wife said: enough is enough...
    Now she regretts herself that we didn'nt order full-leather
    I asked the dealer about retrofitting the upperdash and the vertical panels aside the pcm(where stitches are visible: and Yes it is possible and no, i didn't order it:
    This retrofit costs the same as an complete full-leather interior... so we get accostumed to the normal dash...

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    greggr107 said:
    I wouldn't want to screw something up

What's good about it is it requires no special skills. Everything is assemblesd in a modular fashion. It all has a particular order. Components were even *designed* to be assembled in that order. You just be very methodical and attentive. It's a matter of unfastening things and re-fastening and doing it all in the right order; being very organized.

It's not like rebuilding an engine which involves a number of skills that only experience can provide. F.ex. "knowing" the best way to get a particular frozen stud out without screwing things up big time.

It would be a BIG project. The only reason I'd do it myself is because I'd be afraid the Porsche mechanic would get five phone calls and take three breaks while working on my car. Chances for a troublefree transplant of a dash under those circumstances seem remote.

What is this April fools on August 1st ? You're kidding right ?

Quote:
    993 said:
    At times I felt that on the 997 with black interior the car looks sportier without the full leather. Don't get me wrong the full leather is beautiful, but in black I think I prefer the standard interior on this type of car. On my mom's cadillac I would prefer the full leather interior. Anyone agree?

Shhhhhh! Don't tell Ferrari.

I was wondering how hard it would be to get rid of the sport chrono wart and cover that section with leather. Not realy worth it, but I was just wondering. It does not seem like it would be that dificult.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803647 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448662 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266253 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90136 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6687 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885959 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833738 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM