Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: The moment I've been waiting for...

Whoopsy:

Busy doesn't mean an airport is good and flyers prefer to fly into them. It just means they are the hub airports and flyers don't have a choice.

Heathrow is one of the busiest in the world, yet it's enjoyable doing transfer there, even across terminals. 

Nick, busy also points to more inconvenience for the passengers. Thus, some may find them less than ideal. Smiley

--

The purpose of life is to enjoy the moment.

Customer service in the US is definitely weaker than in non-China Asia. So there's that... But the primary issue with the US airports is how you must clear customs with your checked bags when you land, even if you are connecting. It's one of those areas where the US does it's own thing even when it's done better everywhere else.

Next we can discuss the metric system vs the archaic craziness we use here... 

S E Z

Seychelles International Airport, Mahe

Talking about airports, we flew in here twice on a 747 to celebrate our daughter's birthdays. Back then British Airways offered direct overnight flights from the UK. Talk about short field landings and take-off procedures. As you can see, it is pretty tight for any 747 version to operate in and out of here. The aircraft also had to turn around at the departure end and use the runway to back taxi to reach the terminal. It was pretty cool...

Regarding LAX, it is and always has been a very crowded airport. I guess that speaks for its popularity. I mean I get it, the traffic in the loop sucks most of the time, but that never took away from my joy of going to LAX or hanging out there.

I love aviation and I love flying. We have come a long way since the Wright Brother's first powered flight on December 17, 1903. We now can board a plane and comfortably reach most major destinations without refueling.

If people in general would become more courteous again and perhaps dress up a little for the occasion, like they did in the old days, flying could become a pleasant experience once more.

--

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS :)

What a great photo! Thanks for that! And I agree with you, how people present themselves in a situation can set the tone for others. I am really turned off by the crocs and sweats outfits I see on most domestic flights. Besides being just lazy it shows you have no appreciation for the tremendous opportunity the ability to travel represents. 

I agree, it is a great shot.  kiss I pulled it directly from this site:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seychelles_International_Airport

--

Pilot:

S E Z

Seychelles International Airport, Mahe

Talking about airports, we flew in here twice on a 747 to celebrate our daughter's birthdays. Back then British Airways offered direct overnight flights from the UK. Talk about short field landings and take-off procedures. As you can see, it is pretty tight for any 747 version to operate in and out of here. The aircraft also had to turn around at the departure end and use the runway to back taxi to reach the terminal. It was pretty cool...

Regarding LAX, it is and always has been a very crowded airport. I guess that speaks for its popularity. I mean I get it, the traffic in the loop sucks most of the time, but that never took away from my joy of going to LAX or hanging out there.

I love aviation and I love flying. We have come a long way since the Wright Brother's first powered flight on December 17, 1903. We now can board a plane and comfortably reach most major destinations without refueling.

If people in general would become more courteous again and perhaps dress up a little for the occasion, like they did in the old days, flying could become a pleasant experience once more.

Lol that look scary even flying a much smaller plane into it, much less than a 747Smiley

Earlier in the summer I flew into BZO on a propeller plane, a DASH 8, and I thought that was already sketchy AF.

--

nberry:
    Whoopsy:

Busy doesn't mean an airport is good and flyers prefer to fly into them. It just means they are the hub airports and flyers don't have a choice.

Heathrow is one of the busiest in the world, yet it's enjoyable doing transfer there, even across terminals. 

Nick, busy also points to more inconvenience for the passengers. Thus, some may find them less than ideal. Smiley

Nick, for years, HKG is also ranked one of the busiest airports in the world, yet no one ever complained about HKG. Only ever comment will be it's one of the nicest airport they have even been in. 

Good or bad about any airport is about how it is run and how it is designed, not about how busy one is. Face it, your country have no idea how to run an airport properly, see no farther than TSA. Heck you guys can't even run a government properly 

--

I vote for less checks with ''remove your laptop and throw your water ' non sense' - that would be a pleasant improvement and speed up the airport process too! one can dream smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Cayenne Coupe Turbo 2020

Don't get me started with airports, and in particular not with security. It is a mess, and there are NO standards. I actually wonder if any of the security staff has ever been flying in/out of any other airport. If you as them if you need to take out laptop or tablets, the look at you as if you are flying back to space and as if their policy is the global standard. I wish I had the guts to tell them it is not, and how useless they are. I really have to control myself.

I guess flying to Europe as a non European, is also not the most streamlined process in immigration, but I have to say that US immigration seems to take the price. We are the first line of defence, seems to be the mantra. They should ALL be replaced with passport readers, as the US already have tonnes of info on each traveller. Make spot checks as well. Last time in JFK it took nearly 2 hours to cross immigration. Compare to Dubai where if you have a passport with a chip from the majority of countries, you will pass through immigration in 5-15 minutes max. I often have 1-2 minutes. 

I am all for safety and security, but at the same time this is a travellers first meet with a country. It does say something about the entire country.

the-missile:

I vote for less checks with ''remove your laptop and throw your water ' non sense' - that would be a pleasant improvement and speed up the airport process too! one can dream smiley

At LHR and MUC there are tests with a new scanner where you do not have to open the hand luggage (Notebook, iPad) anymore. I always try to use a row with this new technology. Much faster. If the tests are successful MUC will move to this technology end of next year.

the-missile:

The last time I was flying, there was a guy in front of me at security, and they wanted to take a 4-pack of 0.5l beer cans from him. He stared them cold in the eyes, stepped away from the queue and started chugging them... SmileySmiley.

Not sure if they let him enter the plane after that though...

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

LIN ( Milano Linate ) and MXP (Milano Malpensa) don't require to remove liquid and laptop too

the-missile:

Paris CDG is super busy, it is horrendous and that's coming from a French...

True. Been there only once...worst experience ever in an airport but this was many years ago. Interesting that it hasn't changed. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), BMW Z4 M40i (2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Itsme:
    the-missile:

At LHR and MUC there are tests with a new scanner where you do not have to open the hand luggage (Notebook, iPad) anymore. I always try to use a row with this new technology. Much faster. If the tests are successful MUC will move to this technology end of next year.

Yes the new scanners are such a time saver.

MUC is one of my favourite airport to visit, it just feels very pleasant to me. 

--

Whoopsy:

Earlier in the summer I flew into BZO on a propeller plane, a DASH 8, and I thought that was already sketchy AF.

I wasn't quite ready for rural airstrips in Kenya and Tanzania.  Compacted crushed rock is about it.  The FBO is a 55-gallon-barrel trash bin with an aviation-radio-equipped motorcycle rider (to chase away wildebeest on final).  No Jet A or avgas available, so one has to tanker enough fuel for the next leg.

IMG_5856.jpeg

--

Mike

918 Spyder + 992 Dakar + 992 GT3 Touring + Taycan GTS ST + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S P100D AP2 + BMWs (Z8 + 3.0 CSi) + Bentley Arnage T

Oooo another DASH 8, I dream of those planes now lol.

Actually those planes are fine, ride nice and the propellers wasn't loud compared to jet engines.

It was the approach taken that's sketchy. Coming from BER, it flew over the mountains on one side, decent into the valley then cross it and fly above the mountains on the other side of the valley before making a 180 to line up for landing. 

--

Dash.jpg

Dash 8 will land anywhere...this was our airstrip back in 2007 in the middle of the desert of Marib - Yemen. smiley

The most scary one was the Dash 6 as it dives for landing...that was scary.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Cayenne Coupe Turbo 2020

RC:
    the-missile:

Paris CDG is super busy, it is horrendous and that's coming from a French...

True. Been there only once...worst experience ever in an airport but this was many years ago. Interesting that it hasn't changed. Smiley

Been ON & OFF at CDG for the past 20Y, I think it was better before Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Cayenne Coupe Turbo 2020

Enmanuel:

Great picture. I've never been to LAX but this would be the first time I've heard anyone speak fondly of it. 

Thank you, she has a good eye and she can be very creative.

LAX has always been good to us, whether it was as travelers or just as spectators hanging out and watching planes come and go. Also, the controllers working in the tower are not only very professional, but seem to appreciate working at this ever-evolving airfield and welcoming pilots and airliners from all corners of our beautiful world.

Let’s hope they will reopen the Encounter Restaurant after completion of all the construction work. It would be a shame not to. We miss its style and the spectacular views at night.

--

Whoopsy:
    nberry:
    Whoopsy:

Nick, for years, HKG is also ranked one of the busiest airports in the world, yet no one ever complained about HKG. Only ever comment will be it's one of the nicest airport they have even been in. 

Good or bad about any airport is about how it is run and how it is designed, not about how busy one is. Face it, your country have no idea how to run an airport properly, see no farther than TSA. Heck you guys can't even run a government properly 

Nick, in the past the US authorities must have stiffed you.Smiley You don't miss an opportunity to criticize our country. Where would all the countries be without the good old USA? Smiley 

As they say, "No good deed goes unpunished"Smiley

--

The purpose of life is to enjoy the moment.

Haha, you must have forgotten I bear practically zero allegiance or patriotism to any country. I am Canadian by immigration. My birth place is British Hong Kong, which no longer exists. I also hold s UK passport so is a UK citizen, but seeing how stupid they are voting for Brexit, I have no sympathy for them either. Every country is fair game for me 😃

I have been making fun of Canada with our unqualified PM also remember?

USA has the strongest army, also has the strongest economy, but that doesn't equal to them being always right, or good. Am I not correct in saying the US government is a non-functioning mess? Both the left side and the right side just say no out of spite for anything the other side says. 

There are some good airports in the USA, LAS is a good example. I also like your home airport SAN. Some people dislike DFW but I have had good experiences there, same with DEN. 

--

the-missile:

Dash.jpg

Dash 8 will land anywhere...this was our airstrip back in 2007 in the middle of the desert of Marib - Yemen. smiley

The most scary one was the Dash 6 as it dives for landing...that was scary.

We had a pilot who had to dive for the landing as well (not sure what type of plane it was) and always had the desire to scare us, so he let the plane "drop" for a short moment when he started diving, very very scary, that stomach feel...Smiley and he had a blast. SmileySmiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), BMW Z4 M40i (2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

tso:

Don't get me started with airports, and in particular not with security. It is a mess, and there are NO standards. I actually wonder if any of the security staff has ever been flying in/out of any other airport. If you as them if you need to take out laptop or tablets, the look at you as if you are flying back to space and as if their policy is the global standard. I wish I had the guts to tell them it is not, and how useless they are. I really have to control myself.

I guess flying to Europe as a non European, is also not the most streamlined process in immigration, but I have to say that US immigration seems to take the price. We are the first line of defence, seems to be the mantra. They should ALL be replaced with passport readers, as the US already have tonnes of info on each traveller. Make spot checks as well. Last time in JFK it took nearly 2 hours to cross immigration. Compare to Dubai where if you have a passport with a chip from the majority of countries, you will pass through immigration in 5-15 minutes max. I often have 1-2 minutes. 

I am all for safety and security, but at the same time this is a travellers first meet with a country. It does say something about the entire country.

Fully agree with you.

As for the other comments. From my personal experience, and I used to travel A LOT with a preference for Star Alliance, MUC is one of the worst. It is the one airport where I missed the most connections due to delays or super long taxiing or bus transfer times, even when flying C or F. This made me know by heart LH transit hotel there, its unique sausages and exquisite potato salad. 

FRA is a disaster. So please be fair when criticizing French airports: main German ones (it seems that German engineering finds its limits in this sector) and UK ones are not better. From my home GVA, an airport that can be discussed as well, when one must fly East and no direct connections are possible, IST or airports in the Middle East are a better option even if not practical to me (I don’t like to cut a 14-16 hours trip into two 7-8 hours legs). I tried to make VIE my hub, small with fast transfers, but with Austrian I had an issue being served a Wienerschnitzel with a cabin crew wearing a Chef hat. The purchase of a Sachertörte at the duty free could never justify living such a ridiculous experience.

In terms of security check, I’ve seen very smooth, pragmatic and efficient structures and processes in place in airports in Italy, Greece or Spain, and in some Nordic countries, only to stay in Europe. I always wondered why those couldn’t inspire others.

--

Nicolas
    Macan S/Ex-997.1/997.2 S/991.1 S/991.1 C4 GTS

Carlos from Spain:

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/new-surveillance-footage-shows-miami-tsa-officers-accused-of-stealing-from-passengers/310976...

Idiots... Airports are flooded with cameras (incl. hidden ones even TSA employees don't always know of)...idiots.

--

--

What is so fascinating to me is the spirit they had at that time when Concorde was designed and engineered.

A time when anything was possible…

LEGO Concorde

--

Porker is going to like that. 

I'm sure he will. I like this LEGO set too. Being able to retract and extend the landing gear is so cool, and its implementation is as elegant as the aircraft itself.

--

I absolutely love our car...

It was a warm and beautiful Sunday yesterday. Police were out in full force, enjoying the day and sun on their motorcycles while handing out plenty of tickets. I’m glad I was disciplined with the throttle, so no ticket for me ;)

The first photo was taken just after sunrise near the Pacific Ocean. You can see the shades of blue where the water meets the sky. Of course, no trip is complete without a fill up; the second photo was taken at my favorite Shell gas station.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802490 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448325 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265880 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89889 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6367 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885257 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831764 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM