Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Can anyone scan the lastest Top Gear article on the 430

written by Jeremy Clarkston? Apparently he test drove the Coupe and Spider and concluded the 430 is the best car EVER built. Strong praise from an auto critic.

Re: Can anyone scan the lastest Top Gear article on the 430

remember he is ferrari biased not that that is a problem

Quote:
    scud said:
    remember he is ferrari biased not that that is a problem

If he's so Ferrari biased, why did he buy the Ford Gt?

I believe he also owns a 360- and besides, I guess he rides so many cool cars it's a waste of money.
    Most auto-journalists dont even need to pay for a car of their own.
    Maybe he got the Ford GT because it was a childhood dream of his and had hoped to be able to use if as a daily driver?

Clarksons dream was to own a new Ford GT40. I really think hes just bored with the low revving engine that is just a bore to use. If it had the 7200rpm Corvettte motor, at least it would have some revs to be entertaining.

So he gets a jump in line for a GT, and voila!, he gets one with a alarm installed in England, what did he expect with anything British and auto electrical?

I dont blame Clarkson for liking the Ferrari F430 so much. The car is truly spectacular. Any Porsche parked
    next to one looks pretty cheap and worker like, and basically they are, right down to the cheesey faux aluma paint on many interior bits. The Boxster fairs no better.
    Too slow, to ordinairy, its a mere effminate distillate
    of its bigger brother.

The F430 sounds so good, looks so good and does so many things so well, how can anyone argue with having one as first choice for any sportscar ????

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    I believe he also owns a 360- and besides, I guess he rides so many cool cars it's a waste of money.

He used to have a 355 - he HATED the 360 (thought it was hideous - likened it to the dinner of a dog)...

i'm glad to hear these positive comments about the car!

... and i still have a long while to go before i get mine

Clarkson had 355, then SL 55 AMG, now Ford Gt... but not for long
    ============================================================
    July 03, 2005

Sorry, Ford, I have to ask for my money back
    By Jeremy Clarkson of The Sunday Times

Thirty-five years ago I promised myself that one day I'd own a Ford GT40, the blue-collar supercar that took an axle grinder to Ferrari's aristocratic halo at Le Mans. But 25 years ago my dreams were dashed as I grew too tall to fit inside.
    Happily, in 2002 Ford announced that it was to build a modern-day version of the old racer. It would, they said, cost less than Pounds100,000 and do more than 200mph. They also said it would be much bigger than the original so pylon-people like me would be able to drive it.

And so, two years ago, having tested a prototype in America, I placed an order for one of the 28 that were coming to Britain.

As the months groaned by there were rumours of big price increases, insatiable thirst and catastrophic suspension failure. But there were also rumours of the supercharged V8 pumping out 550bhp and a mountain of torque so massive it was breaking the testing equipment. So I didn't mind.

I didn't even mind when it arrived at my house one month ago inside a truck which had "On Time" written down the side. As we know from America's arrival into the second world war, their concept of "on time" differs slightly from ours.

And anyway, it looked so gorgeous, a mass of bulging muscle struggling to contain that massive 5.4 litre supercharged heart. It doesn't look like a GT40 but it looks like a GT40 looks in your head. And it's huge. Longer than a Volvo XC90 and as wide as a Hummer.

Which is why, on its first run, to London, it was like a blue and white Pied Piper trailing a stream of ratty hatches in its wake. Everyone was taking pictures, waving, giving me the thumb's up. Never, not once in 15 years of road testing cars, had anything drawn such a massive crowd. And never had the crowd been so overtly supportive.

Of course you can't run a car like this without a few problems rearing their head from time to time. It's too wide for the width restrictions on Hammersmith bridge - backing up earned me a slot on the traffic news that morning. The turning circle means every mini roundabout becomes a three-point turn, and at oblique junctions, as is the case in a Ferrari Enzo, you absolutely cannot see if anything's coming.

But set against this is a surprisingly quiet and civilised ride. It's like a power station. Silent, as it gets on with the job of brightening up your life.

Mind you, you are constantly aware of the Herculean power that nestles just over your right shoulder. Partly because you can see the supercharger belt whirring away in the rear-view mirror and partly because it makes a deep, dog-baiting rumble when you do put your foot down.

Ford asked that I keep the revs below 4000 for the first thousand miles. But since 100mph equates to 1900rpm it's not really a hardship. And at this speed you're doing 15mpg, which isn't bad at all. But three days later everything started to go very, very wrong.

Leaving the Top Gear studio, the immobiliser refused to un-immobilise itself. So the car was pushed into the hangar and I went home instead in a rented Toyota Corolla.

Ford sent a tow truck, changed the immobiliser and delivered the car to my house the following day. "Is it fixed?" I asked. "Yes," they said.

At three in the morning the alarm blew. And then again at four. This meant my wife started to refer to it as "that f****** car", which took away a bit of the sheen, if I'm honest

It wasn't. At three in the morning the alarm blew. And then again at four. This meant my wife started to refer to it as "that f****** car", which took away a bit of the sheen, if I'm honest.

The next day, on the way back to the garage, I received a call on the hands-free phone from the tracker company. "Your car's been stolen, sir," said the man. "I'm sure it hasn't," I said, "because I'm in it."

Fearing that I might be the burglar, the man asked if I could give him my password. Tricky one that, since I have a different password for everything on the internet and can never remember any of them. And that's a big problem, because the man at the end of the phone has the power to remotely shut down the engine.

I threatened him, lightly, with some physical harm, but this didn't work so I had to guess. "Aardvark," I ventured. "Abacus, Aesop, additional . . ."

Eventually he took pity and I was able to deliver the car back to Ford with some stern warnings about the alarm, the immobiliser and the tracker system, all of which seemed to be malfunctioning. As a courtesy car they gave me a Ford Focus, with a diesel engine. Nice.

Two days later the GT was back. "Is it fixed?" I asked, again. "Yes," they said

Five minutes out of the Ford garage I received a text to say my car had been stolen. And then, in the next half hour, three more. So, counting the two I'd received before I was even out of bed, that meant my car had been stolen five times before 9am.

This time I rang Ford and explained that I would personally come over there and insert the whole car up the chairman's backside if it wasn't fixed. And while I was on the phone a yellow warning light came on the dash.
    "There's a yellow warning light on the dash," I bellowed, like Michael Winner, only angrier. "Oh, that'll be something to do with the engine management system," said the man with the bleeding ears. "You'll need to get it looked at . . ."

When Ford gave me the car back after its third hospital trip in as many weeks, I didn't ask if the security system was fixed. Because the notion of it still being broken was simply inconceivable.

So imagine my surprise when, one hour later, while at my daughter's school play, I heard a familiar siren. I couldn't believe it. The alarm had gone off again.

In a fury this time, I called Ford and explained, loudly, that Roush, the company charged with servicing and maintaining the 28 GTs in Britain, was plainly incompetent. And that there was simply no point asking it to fix the alarm again because it'd had three goes already.

I then did something the man at Ford wasn't expecting. I asked for my money back.

And that, the next day, is what happened.

They put Pounds126,000 in my account and sent a man to pick up the car. "Is it the alarm system?" he said. "They all do that."

So there we are. A 35-year dream. A two-year wait. Ten years of damn hard work. And what do I get? The most miserable month's motoring it is possible to imagine.

Strangely, however, as the GT rumbled down my drive for the last time, I felt like Julie Walters watching Michael Caine getting on the plane at the end of Educating Rita. I actually cried.

There's a very good reason for this. I genuinely believe that some machines have a soul and I can't bear to think of my Ford sitting in a warehouse now, unloved and unwanted. It is fine. It is perfect. It knows it's a great, great car that was ruined by a useless ape who fitted a crummy aftermarket alarm system.

Ford has said I can buy the car back any time. It has even lent me an Aston Martin DB9 while I make up my mind. I don't know though. I just don't know.

Normally I finish these columns with an opinion of mine. But this time it's the other way round. I'd love to hear yours.

One thing: I know I could sell the car privately and make a Pounds50,000 profit. But I have never profited from my position as a motoring journalist. And I never will.

VITAL STATISTICS

Model Ford GT
    Engine 5409cc V8 supercharged
    Power 550bhp @ 6500rpm
    Torque 500lb ft @ 3750rpm
    Transmission Six-speed manual
    Fuel 14.6mpg (combined cycle)
    CO2 N/A
    Acceleration 0-60mph: 3.8sec
    Top speed 212mph
    Price Pounds126,000
    Verdict So good you can have mine
    Rating Five stars

thanks for the article tony, but it was posted on the sports car board already, btw does anyone know what he plans to get next now that he is car-less?

yay it's my 1000th post too!!!

Great to hear a good comment of F430 from JC.

and yes! Mike, I have to wait for a long long time for my f430 too!

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    thanks for the article tony, but it was posted on the sports car board already, btw does anyone know what he plans to get next now that he is car-less?

yay it's my 1000th post too!!!

Sorry, wasn't sure if everyone read all the sections.

I think this is the article you asked for? Sorry for the poor quality, don't have a scanner, took the pictures with my camera. Also, with a 56k modem to upload them, I had to make them quite small.

Last one. JC really did like the f430!

Thanks. Don't want to complain, but don't you have it in better quality?

hes getting an m5... i read it on th m5 board

Quote:
    amir sarmad said:
    hes getting an m5... i read it on th m5 board

Well, if you need 4 seats, you could do worse...

Gary

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    ...... btw does anyone know what he plans to get next now that he is car-less?

Probably a Zimmer frame (walking aid)!

He's slipped two disks in his back.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Thanks. Don't want to complain, but don't you have it in better quality?

I did have, but unfortunately deleted them already. But I suppose I could take new pics, it's just that I'm very very busy working in two shifts now, and struggling to find the time. I'll try and take the pics tomorrow and post them in better quality, if anyone else doesn't manage to scan them before that.

Quote:
    aBE said:
    I did have, but unfortunately deleted them already. But I suppose I could take new pics, it's just that I'm very very busy working in two shifts now, and struggling to find the time. I'll try and take the pics tomorrow and post them in better quality, if anyone else doesn't manage to scan them before that.

Thanks very much in advance! I will wait!

Ok, here they are. Still maybe not of the best quality, but it's the best I can do.

Next.

Third one.

Fourth...

Last one!

Thanks very much for your effort!

Look like they are on the Top Gear Airport test track.

I wonder when this will air on the TV show. I can't wait! It should be fantastic. I bet its going to be fast in the hands of the Stig too!

Anyone know when this is going to air?

Completely off-topic, CivicRydr, but could you tell politely tell us where you're from?

This is the first time I remember seeing a rennteamers "location" censored!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    804034 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448732 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266350 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90164 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6749 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886076 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834420 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM