Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Ordering new 997 Conv. need your help!

Hi Friends,

I'm about ordering a new 997 Convertible.

The following things I'm still not sure about.

Engine: Carrera or Carrera S

I have testdriven the S and was disappointed as on my use I felt, that it needs to run on high rpm to feel the extra power. I drive fast but normally I try to shift around 4000 rpm. I felt that I needed 17 ltr in the S Testcar instead of 12.5 in my 996. And - on low rpm I thought that my 996 runs better.

Suspension PASM:

PASM yes or no? or 20mm SportSuspensions? My 996 has 030 Sport - for me this feels great. Testcar have had PASM - yes felt great, too - but do I need this really? How bout the 20mm Sport Suspension, is it to tight and hard?

Sport Chrono Package:

I dont like that little thinggy on the dashboard. But - the testcar has it and the difference on pressing the sport-button was incredibble. So - how does the directness of the gas feel without Chrono Package?

Thanks guys for your hints. This will help a lot!

cheers, L@rs

Re: Ordering new 997 Conv. need your help!

The 997 S Cab is fantastic.

There's lots of reasons to go with the S. If you can afford the S there really isn't any reason (that I can think of) to get the base car.

PASM Yes. Sport suspension wouldn't be for me. With "Sport" activated the car becomes very stiff. Stiff enough. I drive in regular PASM 90% of the time.

"I dont like that little thinggy on the dashboard. But - the testcar has it and the difference on pressing the sport-button was incredibble. So - how does the directness of the gas feel without Chrono Package?"
    It feels just like it did w/ Sport Chrono switched off. Sport Chrono will adjust PASM for stiffer suspension, PSM for less interference and give better reaction to gas pedal inputs with a push of a button. A must imo. And love the dashboard timer

btw: There's electronic preferences that you can set using PCM but only if you have Sport Chrono like automatic door locking etc.

You shouldn't worry about having the -20mm suspension, it's not available with the convertible...

True that.

i'm fairly happy with my 997s, wish it just had a "little" bit more power though, but otherwise i'm tremendously happy with it! what you waiting for Lars?! get onto that list!

Non-S vs S: if you order 19" wheels, Xenon lights and PASM (standard on S, options on non-S), you've already covered half the cost of getting a S.
    You'll make the difference back when you sell the car (assuming you're selling within 4-5 years).

So, if you want 19" wheels, Xenon lights, and PASM, you're basically getting an engine upgrade for free.

Oh, and the 3.8L is supposed to be less likely to have a RMS leak.

Long story short, unless you're going for a very barebones 911, get an S.

As for the Sport Chrono:
    It's indeed a must, even though I hate the clock, too.
    Warning: if you plan to get colored gauges, don't get the Sport Chrono. IIRC, the dashboard clock is only available in black and silver (maybe white too?).

If you are concerned about the fuel consumption on the 3.8L engine, then keep in mind that the sport mode is definitely going to be bad for your wallet.

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    i'm fairly happy with my 997s, wish it just had a "little" bit more power though, but otherwise i'm tremendously happy with it! what you waiting for Lars?! get onto that list!

I gotta tell you that's exactly how I feel. I'm in love with the way it handles but if anything it is just shy of the power I'd like. Not a problem in the higher rpms but in in the lower rpms it can feel sluggish/takes a long time to rev.

I took my wife and kids to the beach last Sunday. We were driving down the Wantagh parkway when I pulled behind a 997 Cab. It was a nice feeling driving by him in the Ssssssssssssssssssssss ~~~~~~~~~

Thanks guys.

I was at the Dealer this afternoon. Think I will go for an "S". As you have said, as I take all those options anyway, its not a big price-difference.

About that Sport-Chrono.... think I have to take it then, too!

@STRADALE...
    Driving an S behind an 997.... yesss I think in the opposite way I always would be unlucky with my car, when not having taken an S.

cheers, L@rs

Unless you can get a much better deal on a non-s, I would prefer the s. Although Walther Röhl was quoted in a dutch magazine-article about the C4(S) saying he would choose a 997 C4 over a C4 S (!) spending the difference on pccb 'cause the C4 is already fast enough' .

I did NOT order Sport Chrono because the interior is so bizzy anyway. The clock-thing is just too much for my taste. I like gadgets but I also like drawers to hide them in. Can't justify looking at that thing all the time. Inside the car, outside the car, in front of the car, behind the car: always visible is the clock on the dash!!! I have a sport button in my M3 and it really isn't that big a deal (at least in the M3). There's NO objective performance advantage to having it. Just train your foot to go from normal to lead.

Get the "S" if you can blow the extra $10K. Somebody said something interesting: The Boxster and Cayman are all closing in on the 300 hp mark. The non-s will soon be overcome. The S will hold them off for a little longer.

Hmmmm... you are starting confusing me.

If Röhrl is saying that the difference isnt that big.... hmmm - you know what, I will ask my dealer to testdrive both in comparision, think this is the onliest way to find out what suites me!

cheers, L@rs

Hi Lars!

Another point : The base exhaust is much more beautyful than the S exhaust

The rear seems much more wider and lower with the base exhaust

Hope this helps

Gregor

Quote:
    Lars996 said:

If Röhrl is saying that the difference isnt that big.... hmmm - you know what, I will ask my dealer to testdrive both in comparision, think this is the onliest way to find out what suites me!

Yeah he really is saying it, I just re-read it in the latest copy of autovisie (leading dutch carmag). doesn't make sense scanning it cause it's in dutch, but I was suprised about it too, not about the fact he's great fan of 4wd (remember his Quattro-days). I would take an extensive testdrive for sure

Hey Lars,

I just ordered a base 997... I drove with both of them, a non s and s... In my opinion there was no real difference and I don't like the red calipers? certainly with a black/black one...

I had a 996 cab too, and chose the "S", because of all the above reasons, and it has obviously more power in the lower revs.
    By buying the S ,you get more the impression of driving a"new" car.Pasm, sportchrono are musthaves to make the difference.
    And also: I like the "S"-thing on the rearhood...
    imo the pricegap between the two can't make the problem when you spend such an amount of money.

Concerning the consumption, you have it right: my cab needs 15.7L / 100km , the 996 3.4 only 13.6

I personally am never going to race the car, so I purchased a base 997,cab, tip with about 20k in options. I wanted a dream car. As I bought a Tip, several dealers told me that I would not feel the difference anyway. I did not need or want 19inch wheels. I have now a 330 cic cab, and love it. this is with 18 inch wheels and i think 225 bhp. another 100 bhp?> is plenty.

I think there is a huge difference with the the sport buttom on..it makes the car go much faster and more responsive.. driving with the sport buttom off is just borrowin.. Plus u get the turbo ceramic brakes with the "S" which give u better confidence and makes the car look sexier.. Go for the "S" man and dont miss the sport feature on this car...its too good

Quote:
    kickdown said:
    I think there is a huge difference with the the sport buttom on..it makes the car go much faster and more responsive..

To be correct you should say, "The Sport Button makes me think the car goes much faster and is more responsive."

There's no evidence which indicates the button improves the car's performance except in a very small way which might be noticed only on a track.

Thats exactly what I felt when driving the Test-S. The Sport-Button gives a complete different feeling of the car. PASM - yes, think I want to go for that, too!

I will try to testdrive next week, than I decide!

Lots of thanks again to everybody!

L@rs

ps... the 4WD is no option as I need the trunk space (at least that what they call trunk in that car!)

You can't get the 20 mm chassis with the Cab as far as I know.
    Take the 997 Carrera S Cab with X51 Powerkit if you can afford it. The 997 Carrera S needs high rev figures to be fast, this is why you've been disappointed. Under 5000 rpm, the Carrera S doesn't feel different than the Carrera. The powerkit will increase the power difference between both and provide more fun.

PASM of course is standard on the Carrera S but I like the PASM setup on the Boxster S more.

Chrono sport provides "dramatic" changes on the 997 Carrera S, suprisingly not that dramatic on the Boxster S.

So get a 997 Carrera S Cab with Powerkit, full leather, sport seats (adaptive seats not really necessary if you don't care about comfort), BOSE, heated seats. Good luck.

Quote:
    Lars996 said:
    Hmmmm... you are starting confusing me.

cheers, [Email]L@rs[/Email]

Get the S and forget about it. Trust me you'll never feel like you have too much power with the S whereas you get the base car, you'll always wonder if you 1)should have just gone for it / 2)made the right choice.

Quote:
    Lars996 said:
    Thanks guys.

I was at the Dealer this afternoon. Think I will go for an "S". As you have said, as I take all those options anyway, its not a big price-difference.

About that Sport-Chrono.... think I have to take it then, too!

@STRADALE...
    Driving an S behind an 997.... yesss I think in the opposite way I always would be unlucky with my car, when not having taken an S.

cheers, [Email]L@rs[/Email]

YUP !

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Get the S and forget about it. Trust me you'll never feel like you have too much power with the S whereas you get the base car, you'll always wonder if you 1)should have just gone for it / 2)made the right choice.

I agree 100 percent. If you can burn the extra $10K: just do it. A Porsche fact: it's a good deal for all the extras you get.

Agree!

No brainer- go with the S. Best value too, IMO.

Its not a good deal if you are getting a tip, better off staying with 18inch wheels, putting in Xneon and 10k in extras

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803790 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448682 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266287 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90148 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6713 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885999 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833975 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM