Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

flat tire - a few questions

Well, I guess ithad to happen sometime. Had my first flat, right rear. Used the sealant and compressor from the toolbox, fixed it right up. Took about 15 minutes or so, once I was able to understand the instructions, which are long, but simple enough. I'd have to say, after reading all the complaints here about not having a spare in the 997, the sealant worked pretty well. I actually drove the thing to NY from NJ, about 60 miles, highway speeds, stopped and checked it a few times on the way.

So now the bad news, when I saw the flat in the morning (before I fixed it), I was running for a tee time, so since it didn't look "all the way flat" I figured I could drive it to the nearest gas station and pump some air in. Made it no problem, filled it up with air, drove to the course, still okay (stupid, yes, I know, and read on).

After my round, flat again, fixed it proper this time with the sealant, tried to find a shop to fix it asap, couldn't so drove to NY to a tire shop, that I knew was open. Punch line is good and bad news. Good news is they fixed the tire, patched the hole where a huge 3 inch screw was buried in the tread (not sure how that happened) and I was able to use the car all weekend. Bad news is my short drive on the "almost flat" was STUPID STUPID. Turned out it was flat flat, and the rims tore up the inside of the tire, so when they emptied the tire of the sealant gunk, they took out a bunch of rubber shavings and told me the tire needed to be replaced.

I have some questions: 1) How does that sealant work? It's basically a liquid that you pour into the tire. It's not an aerosol or foam like I have seen before at auto part stores. All you have to do is shake it and pour. Anyone know exactly what the deal is? I note that until you drive on it, I would imagine the sealant just pools at the bottom of the tire... 2) How much does a new flat tire sealant package cost? Just curious. 3) Where the heck am I supposed to find a new michelon pilot sport N1 295 30-zr19, tire rack doesn't have it and neither do any other tire websites that I could find, and what's that going to cost (I figure about $450)? 4) Should I have the dealer mount the tire, is there anything special that needs to be done, or can I just use my local tire place, who are pretty good. 5) I assume that the tire, since it says pilot sport is not a pilot sport ps2 (N1), but can someone confirm which is the OE tire for me. And what the heck does the "N1" mean? I have a 2005 997S. 6) Lastly, the car has about 3000 miles on it, do I need to consider buying 2 new rear tires so the wear will be the same, and, relating to my question #4 above, if the dealer does the work, will they be able to do anything to match the tires (and, can anything be done, important or not, should I just quit my bitching and shut up?)

While I write this, I see tire rack has a 295/30-yr19 N1 specified as OE on the 997, and while it is a ps2, the picture doesn't show that "ps2" appears anywhere on the sidewall, I'm betting that this is my tire...ahh, but wait, there does appear to be a teeny tiny "ps2" under the word sport, I guess I answered some of my own questions, but could still use advice on the others.

Thanks for any info.

Re: flat tire - a few questions

This is what I do. I bought a spare for my M3 (it doesn't come with one!). I also carry a DIY plug kit.

When I get a flat I have a choice of using the DIY plug or putting on the doughnut spare.

Then take the tire to a place AT YOUR CONVENIENCE to get the DIY plug replaced with a patch.

I will never use the goop. Porsche has no regard for a punctured tire and the goop can just as well assist in rendering the tire useless. Porsche tells us we're supposed to discard a punctured tire since we drive at autobahn speeds in the USA. (being sarcastic).

When my 997S arrives I plan to shove the Porsche spare (avail SOMEwhere) into the car along with a DIY patch kit and Porsche jack and wrench.

It's a frickin' joke: selling a car without a spare!!!

Would have saved you $500 for the new tire, huh?

I got a flat. Roadside assist was good about getting the car to the dealer where they replaced the tire. I didn't want to use the goop and get it on the wheel because I'd never know how well it was removed after the new tire was mounted.

I'd replace the tire. Safety first, and we signed up for expensive repairs when we bought the cars.

N1 means that the type is manufactured to Porsche specifications. Porsche works with a number of manufacturers to create typres which are specially matched to their vehicles. In fact, it is the "N" which is significant - the number gets incremented as the tyre specification evolves. Thus it is possible to buy a Michelin PS2 (for example) in a given size both with and without the N specification. You should always buy the N-rated tyre, even though this often may mean a special order.

With regard to the Pilot Sport tyre, I believe that both an original Pilot Sport, and a Pilot Sport 2 (PS2) exist with N-rating for the 997.

DIY Tire repair is the best advice I could give. Ive had lots oh flats in my life and this would fix 95% (once hit a large pothole that blew the tire and bent the rim on my VW Golf, nothing but a new tire and rim were fixing that). Pretty easy to use, and it works great. Do NOT forget to pack a pair of vice-grips for getting screws out of the tire.

Best pic I could find.

[image]http://www.4x4abc.com/jeep101/img/kit.jpeg[/image]

tim
    997s Black/Black

Here's what you need, the ContiComfortKit.

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/us/en/continental/automobile/general/safety/cck_en.html

This can be bought at Tire Rack for about $75.00. The good thing about this one is that the sealant used drys out and creates a dry barrier in the tire, this allows it to peal off of the tire and wheel assembly instead of having a mess. Also it has specifications, do not exceed 125miles at 50mph and do not inflate the tire above 43psi.

The problem with using a DIY plug kit is that if you have a hole that is smaller than the plug then you have to make a bigger hole to get the plug to work. This is not a good idea because if you make the hole bigger you reduce the casing integrity of the tire and even when it gets fixed properly it is not as strong as it should be.

I still prefer the spare tire option but that is going away quickly so the Conti kit is by far the best solution, rather than using the typical gummy sealants.

does porsche sell a spare tire kit for the 997?

Quote:
    dnp_now said:

yes, but nobody here on the board seems to knows the part number or how to order it. It is available in other (non-USA) parts of the world.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    dnp_now said:

yes, but nobody here on the board seems to knows the part number or how to order it. It is available in other (non-USA) parts of the world.

I purchased the spare "kit" from Sunset Imports in Beaverton, Oregon. Sunset Imports

In March I paid the following:
    P/N 996-362-020-02 Emergency Tire $475.66
    P/N 996-722-101-00 Wheel Insert $30.68
    P/N 996-721-211-00 Scissors Jack $118.74
    P/N 999-571-074-30 Mounting Bolt $5.54
    P/N 999-361-521-00 Tire Boot $2.17
    P/N 996-361-411-00 Belt $12.44
    Total $645.23
    15% Handling Charge $96.79
    TOTAL $742.02
    Shipping to SoCal from Oregon $34.00

I think the Belt I did not use. The wheel insert is a molded foam plastic mounting that fits into the wheel to hold the jack and its handle. I also purchased three bungee cords at AutoZone to hold the spare in place in the front luggage compartment. It took a few weeks for all the parts to be assembled. Some had to come from Germany.

Quote:
    DD694 said:
    I also purchased three bungee cords at AutoZone to hold the spare in place in the front luggage compartment.

Hey Bill, You're my hero!

Thanks for the info. Now, the "996" prefix on the part number, is that the spare for our 997 cars?

From the quote above you confirm that the spare fits in the front trunk? Is that a fact? People have been saying flats and spares won't fit in there.

Thanks x 1000

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    DD694 said:
    I also purchased three bungee cords at AutoZone to hold the spare in place in the front luggage compartment.

Hey Bill, You're my hero!

Thanks for the info. Now, the "996" prefix on the part number, is that the spare for our 997 cars?

From the quote above you confirm that the spare fits in the front trunk? Is that a fact? People have been saying flats and spares won't fit in there.

Thanks x 1000

I think the concern about not fitting in the trunk is the 19" tire/wheels, not the spare. No problem fitting the spare in the front truck, but there is some question about whether the damaged tire will be able to fit back in the trunk. Some have suggested carrying a large bag to put the damaged tire into so you can carry it inside the car if necessary.

Phil

You should always replace the tire after using sealant,balance is adversely affected,alignment will ultimately be affected.I live in Sarasota and had a flat in Charleston SC drove home with 50 psi,tire replaced next day by dealer.Cost $595 inc labor,but since I purchased tire insurance (Safetire)when I purchased the 997S I got a full refund. Don't drive on a repaired tire in a 997S,if you insist driving on repaired tires in high performance cars you may invalidate your principal insurance cover in the case of an accident if loss adjuster can link incident to the repaired tire. Also tell me if you are tracking the car so that I can avoid the circuit that day

Yes, the spare fits in the front trunk.
    Yes, the spare fits 997S in place of front or rear tire. I think this spare was originally used for 996 C4S.
    The tire/wheel with flat should be put into a bag and placed in back seat. It will NOT fit in front trunk.
    I also purchased the tire/wheel insurance when I bought my 997S. Seemed like a really good deal. One flat and/or damaged wheel/tire and it has more than paid for itself.

I hd a puncture on the front (driver side) and called roadside assist. They lent me a spare; I put the real wheel in a bag.

One question - I was getting PASM warning messages. Is this normal with the doughnut wheel ? I like the concept of having a spare in the car, as when I drive it's normally 100 miles into NYC.

Wow. Thanks all. Too bad about the goop doing all this damage, I'll make sure the dealer cleans off the rim too when they replace the tire. Not sure I'm crazy about carrying around a spare donut, but....

I also understand all the arguments for replacing a tire anytime there is a puncture, even a professionally repaired (repairable) one, but I'd guess a properly applied patch, while never 100% like new, is just fine.

Now I am pissed they sell a car without a donut, what's up with that?

Quote:
    9Eleven said:
    You should always replace the tire after using sealant,balance is adversely affected,alignment will ultimately be affected.I live in Sarasota and had a flat in Charleston SC drove home with 50 psi,tire replaced next day by dealer.Cost $595 inc labor,but since I purchased tire insurance (Safetire)when I purchased the 997S I got a full refund.

Can you provide some additional information about your tire insurance? It isn't offererd by my dealer and I wanted to pass the info on to them. Thanks!

Quote:
    wmondo said:

I also understand all the arguments for replacing a tire anytime there is a puncture, even a professionally repaired (repairable) one, but I'd guess a properly applied patch, while never 100% like new, is just fine.

yeah, no problem, keep in mind your maximum routine sustained speeds are what..., 75-80 mph? That's a very different league (energy-wise) from "routine" Autobahn speeds of 130-180mph.

Re tire insurance, this is offered by Safeguard
    tel
    1 800 742 7896
    includes wheel protection.Since Porsche insist on replacement not repair this program is a great value

Re tire insurance

Thanks!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803666 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448664 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266257 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90137 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6696 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885964 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833771 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM