Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Looking for spacers

Are there any Porsche approved spacers for 997S?
    Anyone knows what's the weight penaly?

Thanx in advance

Re: Looking for spacers

It' s on the MY2006 option list under XRP ( 5mm spacers)
    Must be very light, usually it's made of aluminium

Thanx gnil. Are you sure it's only 5mm...?

These are two options for the factory sold spacers. The 5mm which comes in a package of four, and the 17mm, of which you get only two, presumably, for the rear wheels only.

Any body got a pix on how will it look with the spacer..
    or even how a 996 looked with and without a spacer

Quote:
    zoltan said:
    Thanx gnil. Are you sure it's only 5mm...?

I ordered my C4S and got the list at my dealers of all options. Regarding spacers there was only , yes, 5 mm spacers in pack of four. I know it doesn' t sound much at all...I will have to see if one can notice that.!!?? I've ordered it. At least It will hardly change the dynamics .

Quote:
    03-turbo911 said:
    These are two options for the factory sold spacers. The 5mm which comes in a package of four, and the 17mm, of which you get only two, presumably, for the rear wheels only.

Anybody knows the difference if you put spacers only for the rear wheels? Do you get less understeer?

I would think you would get more understeer because you are widening the track at the rear, increasing its grip around the curve making the front more likely to loose grip earlier causing understeer kind of like adding negative camber on the rear wheels.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    I would think you would get more understeer because you are widening the track at the rear, increasing its grip around the curve making the front more likely to loose grip earlier causing understeer

I second that.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    I would think you would get more under-steer because you are widening the track at the rear, increasing its grip around the curve making the front more likely to loose grip earlier causing under-steer kind of like adding negative camber on the rear wheels.

I agree with your general sentiment, Carlos.

I think the cause of the under-steer is not that the rear gets more total grip. It's most likely unchanged, but I like your camber argument.

I propose that spacing the wheel further outward from the suspension-arm pivot (chassis attachment) points lengthens the lever-arm working on the rear springs.

This causes a mild softening of the rear spring rate (as seen at the wheels), which simultaneously causes a lessening of the rear roll stiffness. (It might also cause more negative camber, depending on the actual geometry.) Total roll stiffness is comprised of the roll stiffness inherent in the basic spring rate, plus the effect of whatever anti-sway bars are also in use.

A softer rear spring rate has the same effect as otherwise installing a softer rear anti-sway bar. Less over-steer -> more under-steer.

Think of sliding farther out on the teeter-totter.

Makes a lot of sense Mike I was thinking more grip also becuase the wider track would also cause the centrifugal force to have a smaller leverage on the suspension/wheel, since they are more further outward that force from the car's center of gravety would be more parallel to the ground... I don't know if I'm explaining myself correctly

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    ... I don't know if I'm explaining myself correctly

I think I get what you're talking about.

A wider track could reduce the mechanical advantage of the center of mass acting on the suspension in roll, and give less suspension deflection for a given side load.

Whether this aspect offsets the lower-spring-rate-via-longer-lever-arm contribution is dependent on how high the roll-center of the rear suspension is compared to the center of mass, ... I think

Now, I believe, I'm in over my head

Quote:

Well maybe you both are! But hey! there's no penalty here on Rennteam for that. Actually, I find the logic of both arguments entirely palusible and, given that neither of you are automotive or mechanical engineers, really quite impressive.

You make it sound so clear when you put it into your own words, you can tell which of the two of us is an engineer (eventhough not automotive)

I would think maybe since the increase in track from the spacers is so small relative to the overall track that the effect of the lower-spring-rate-via-longer-lever-arm contribution you decribed is more relevant since the increase in the overall distance wheel-to-suspension arm pivot would seem greater relative to the overall wheel-pivot distance. OK, again I think I just confused things further with my ramblings and wordings

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    Quote:

Well maybe you both are! But hey! there's no penalty here on Rennteam for that.

After reflecting on my enthusiasm to spout off on a subject I barely understand, I can only imagine what is going through the mind of an actual suspension engineer while reading this end of the thread

When I read certain energetic exchanges on some radar-detector web sites, I have to exercise mountains of self-control so as not to post sarcastic comments. I apologize in advance if I create this temptation for real suspension experts.

Did a quick search, no explanation of the reasoning behind it but wider rear track does seem to increase understeer

http://www.roadrunner-region-pca.org/tech.htm

thanx Carlos...

My miniscule intellect can only grasp these concepts if I consider them in both extremes:

Vehicle *A* (with rear spacers) front end would tend to plow--or understeer, while *B* (w/o spacers) would tend to oversteer.

Quote:
    Damian said:
    My miniscule intellect can only grasp these concepts if I consider them in both extremes:

Vehicle *A* (with spacers) would tend to plow--or oversteer, while *B* (w/o spacers) would more closely follow the front wheels.

Nice photo, but remember that with the rear weight bias of the 997, the car in figure B would oversteer (rear sliding out in the turn) and not strictly follow the front wheels if the grip of the tires is exceeded (high speed corner). This is probably the point you were making (less understeer), but I just wanted to be clear...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    Damian said:

Vehicle *A* (with spacers) would tend to plow--or oversteer, while *B* (w/o spacers) would more closely follow the front wheels.

Nice photo, but remember that with the rear weight bias of the 997, the car in figure B would oversteer (rear sliding out in the turn) and not strictly follow the front wheels if the grip of the tires is exceeded (high speed corner). This is probably the point you were making (less understeer), but I just wanted to be clear...

Doh! Thanks, Grant. I meant *A* would exhibit more UNDERSTEER , *B* would tend to exhibit more oversteer.
    I edited my prev post.

Quote:
    03-turbo911 said:

Can you give me the code of the 17mm spacer.. I went to the dealer but they said they don't have a 17mm only the 5mm .... So please can anybody give me the code for the 17mm..
    Thanks.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    Damian said:

So do you think that if you put 5mm all around it would be better?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777488 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441802 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262816 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261020 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85288 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5598 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880705 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816092 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM