Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Which colour for my 997S coupe?

Slate grey, seal grey, GT silver or black? I'm only choosing from these colours. The inside will be full black leather interior with red seat belts.

NB: my current car is a BMW in cosmos black metallic which is like basalt black with a beige interior. I need a change!

Also, in London, we rarely have the kind of predictable sunny weather that others elsewhere in the world can take for granted. Even if we're lucky enough for it to be dry, it's often still dull, cloudy and grey here for 7-9 months of the year and the weather changes unpredictably and suddenly.

No, I'm not a weather man but I mention all this because the intensity of daylight makes a huge difference to how each colour looks and darker colours are much harder to keep clean in the kind of climate we have here...

I'm also aware of the fact that lighter colours will hide scratches, swirl marks better...but dark colours can have a lovely wet look....

any thoughts appreciated....

Re: Which colour for my 997S coupe?

My beemer is mettalic black with dark brown interior, I also thought I needed a change, so I ordered Basalt Black with Natural Brown leather cab. My change? 997 !

Artic would be my first choice but since it's not an option for you I would choose Black. At first I was going to recommend GT Silver but since you also like Seal and the weather is gloomy you might as well go with seal instead of GT Silver, which looks a lot like seal in cloudy conditions. Black saves you 3 grand and I love the way Black on Black looks. More work than the silvers but when it's clean it's worth it.

Wet weather with road grime means dirty car. Slate grey might hide that best? Face it, after a few months you're not gonna be so fussy about washing/waxing the car and will drive around with it being dirty. With water splashing dirt everywhere maybe get the color which hides it better.

Slate...nice and rare, but with black leather and red belts it would look a little odd to me. IMO Porsche really doesn't have a great interior color for slate....its so different. I have seen a slate with terracotta (someone on the list) that looks fantastic....but of course terracotta is not for everyone.

Seal...great color, much too common....you have a good chance of seeing many other Porsches in this color every day.

GT Silver....getting to like this color more and more each day....but it begs to have some other interior color than black.....it looks great with cocoa and blue IMO.

Black.....what can you say.....a black on black with red belts (and red gauges!) looks awesome....looks so great in person. Of course black is black and is hard to keep clean, but looks so great when it is. So if you have to have a black interior with red belts....black would be my choice.

"Black.....what can you say.....a black on black with red belts (and red gauges!) looks awesome....looks so great in person. Of course black is black and is hard to keep clean, but looks so great when it is. So if you have to have a black interior with red belts....black would be my choice."

I loved the way my Black/black 996 looked when clean. The way it hides all the body panel lines, the way it reflects images like no other color. When the paint is in good condition an it's detailed it looks awesome. I've switched to Artic, one of the reasons besides ease to clean is my car is a cab. I like to contrast that Artic brings with a Black interior. Whether the top is up or down there's the Silver Black contrast between the top and body or the interior and body. But with a coupe Black is such a rich color to go with. I like the basalt but the standard black reflects more and looks deeper.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    "Black.....what can you say.....a black on black with red belts (and red gauges!) looks awesome....looks so great in person. Of course black is black and is hard to keep clean, but looks so great when it is. So if you have to have a black interior with red belts....black would be my choice."

I loved the way my Black/black 996 looked when clean. The way it hides all the body panel lines, the way it reflects images like no other color. When the paint is in good condition an it's detailed it looks awesome. I've switched to Artic, one of the reasons besides ease to clean is my car is a cab. I like to contrast that Artic brings with a Black interior. Whether the top is up or down there's the Silver Black contrast between the top and body or the interior and body. But with a coupe Black is such a rich color to go with. I like the basalt but the standard black reflects more and looks deeper.

I agree across the board. Most of my previous Porsches have been black on black.....and I'm pretty much ready for a change now. Also looking at either GT or Artic on my next one.....but then I see a gleaming new black 997 and it gets me thinking again! I both love and hate color decisions.

4 me, black inside and black outside,
    red seat belts are great,
    also the red brakes...

I'm totally biased, but I love the way my GT silver 997S looks in different lighting conditions. A bright, nearly blinding silver in bright sunshine. A "steel" gray color in cloudy weather. An "aluminum" look under artificial lighting.

I like arctic very much, but IMHO, it looks kinda of washed out in the bright sunlight...it's a lighter shade of silver...

I'm not sure you'll be able to tell a diffierence on a computer monitor, but this shot is in sunlight...

And this one on a cloudy day...

FWIW...

BLACK and DUST, best combo.
    Black is the easiest colour to get dirty : one day is enough !
    After only one day, you'll look like a real bad boy and after one week like a real rally driver !
    Don't shrink : go for black !

Quote:
    MikeN said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

I agree across the board. Most of my previous Porsches have been black on black.....and I'm pretty much ready for a change now. Also looking at either GT or Artic on my next one.....but then I see a gleaming new black 997 and it gets me thinking again! I both love and hate color decisions.

100%. That's EXACTLY how I feel. This is my first silver car. (997 S cab) I have almost always picked Black- Porsche, BMW's, Mustangs etc. etc. Except for a Red Viper & Red Ferrari mixed in my last 6 cars have been black. This may sound strange but I know other guys that like Black and describe it the same way as I, like a big puddle of oil. Everything melting like goo. Just looks so solid and deep when it's waxed..

I am so happy with how Artic looks and how easy it is to maintain but when I have to make a choice in about a year from now on my next Porsche color I know I'll be going back and forth between Artic and Black.

If you're going to decide between Artic and GT Silver try to find a dealer that has both that you can look at side by side outside. I was lucky that my dealer had 2 997's in both colors.

My dealer has several Artic and GT Silver Boxsters sitting right next to each other. As well as some Artic and GT 997s spread around. Here's my take....

Both are great colors. GT silver has a little more grey in it and almost looks like it has a hint of brown in it when sitting next to Artic. GT goes so well with Cocoa and Terracotta becuase if this. Artic tends to look great with black, sea blue, and grey. Then again I saw an Artic on Terracotta 997S the other day that looked amazing.

One thing I really like about GT Silver is the way it looks under lights at night.....for some reason it looks so crisp under these conditions.

Is GT worth the extra $2k?.....if I was ordering the Cocoa or Terracott interior I would go for it, but for any other interior color Artic still looks amazing to me....and I really wasn't a fan of it until I really made some comparisons and looked at it more closely.

I'm also based in London - if you're in the Wandsworth area, I'll happily show you my Slate Grey 997 with black interior.

I'm very happy with Slate but part of this is down to its rarity. It always stands out amongst all the other colours - especially when I call in at my dealer and it's parked up next to the silvers and seal greys.

I got the car in January and despite only washing it once every couple of weeks, it always looks good. It doesn't show the dirt too much but also looks fantastic when given a polish.

Good luck with the decision.

Here's my black. Keeping it clean isn't all that bad, it's just a state of mind...

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Here's my black. Keeping it clean isn't all that bad, it's just a state of mind...

i need to keep my state of mind x3 lol, i'm happy that i took 3 in black, no regrets

If you want to own a car, get the silver -
    If you want it to own you, get the black.
    I won't go back to black - though it looks good, the care takes away too much time from DRIVING!!

Quote:
    vtach88 said:
    If you want to own a car, get the silver -
    If you want it to own you, get the black.
    I won't go back to black - though it looks good, the care takes away too much time from DRIVING!!

Ummm, I think that's a little overboard. It's a tiny car. Keeping it clean is a piece of cake, regardless of color, it goes fairly fast. Where I draw the line with black is on my trucks. That's just too much square-footage of black to deal with. But my 997 is a little munchkin, so washing it frequently doesn't bug me. Besides, I'd rather drive a bit less in a clean black 997, than drive a bit more in a filthy silver 997. And does anybody here actually figure that the small amount of time they spend cleaning is time they would have otherwise spent driving?? I like silver as a color almost as well as black, but no matter WHAT color my car is, it's getting washed AT LEAST once a week, if not more...

Quote:
    \ but no matter WHAT color my car is, it's getting washed AT LEAST once a week, if not more...

You can just go over it once a week with a damp terry cloth cloths(about a dozen damp cloths) turning frequently. Follow with a dry one. No need to wash with a hose. Wax job lasts longer. Scratches? None to be seen in a light colored car. Of course a muesum collection wouldn't allow this probably; not enough dignity in a "sponge bath."

It depends on the nature of the "dirty" my car is. If I've avoided rain all week, then the car is just dusty. In those cases, there's no harm to be had and alot of efficiency to gain in using Meguiar's Quick Detail spray with a clean terry-towel, or simply a wet-rag/dry-towel sponge bath. But if the car has been driven in the rain, and is caked in road-grime, it has to be washed. Zymol makes the best car wash solution, for maintaining your wax job and being therapeutic to rubber trim. Anyhow, in Florida, it's a rare week that you don't get caught by at least one rainstorm. Especially in the Spring and Summer. Be it silver, or black, or whatever I'm driving for daily use, I've got the suds and the hose out at least once a week. It's great exercise.

Seal grey with black leather for me.

Quote:
    MikeN said:

Black.....what can you say.....a black on black with red belts (and red gauges!) looks awesome....looks so great in person. Of course black is black and is hard to keep clean, but looks so great when it is. So if you have to have a black interior with red belts....black would be my choice.

I have this one but if i was to order it again it would be
    GT silver
    blue interior
    yellow seat belts
    yellow gauges
    PCCB

I was such a moron

Quote:
    zoltan said:
    Quote:
    MikeN said:

I have this one but if i was to order it again it would be
    GT silver
    blue interior
    yellow seat belts
    yellow gauges
    PCCB

I was such a moron

Your near my spec there without the PCCB and the yellow touches though but now I may go for the power-kit and if I was not based in the UK the -20 would be a def..

Also can I get blue gauges with the blue belts , look nice on the normal black..

throt..

Have to say, without any bias ;-) , Seal grey is my favourite. Although my soon to be delivered BMW 535d will be Carbon Black.

Atlas... atlas... atlas! Oh, that was not in your list

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778959 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442194 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263072 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261345 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85586 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5783 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881047 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817302 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM