Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

FIA Charges Michelin Teams

Its a Automotive Courts Martial.......

FIA charges Michelin teams with damaging image of Formula One

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,5923-1659171,00.html

Formula One's governing body has charged the seven teams using Michelin tires with damaging the sport's image by pulling out of the United States Grand Prix for safety reasons.

The FIA, which has summoned the seven teams to a June 29 hearing in Paris, charged each team with a breach of Article 151c of the International Sporting Code.

The FIA released copies today of letters it sent to Renault, McLaren-Mercedes, Toyota, Williams-BMW, BAR-Honda, Sauber and Red Bull, outlining the charges they face.

refusing to allow their cars to start the race, wrongfully refusing to allow their cars to race subject to a speed restriction, and combining with other teams "to make a demonstration damaging to the image of Formula One by pulling into the pits immediately before the start of the race".

The teams were also accused of failing to notify stewards of their intention not to race.

Possible sanctions include fines, docked points or even an order to pay compensation.

Michelin provides seven of the 10 F1 teams with tires. Only six cars - using Bridgestone tires - started the race in Indianapolis on Sunday after 14 drivers left the track following the warmup lap. Ferrari's Michael Schumacher won, climbing from his car to a chorus of boos.

The same seven teams were among the nine teams that boycotted meetings called by FIA president Max Mosley in January and April to discuss regulations for the 2008 season. It was unclear whether they'll attend the June 29 meeting.

Two Michelin tires failed during Friday's practices - one causing a wreck that prevented Toyota's Ralf Schumacher from competing - prompting Michelin to rule its tires were unsafe for the Indianapolis track.

The future of F1 in the United States remains in doubt.

Lawyers for a Colorado fan filed a suit in federal court seeking reimbursement for client Larry Bowers and other ticketholders who they claim were defrauded.

# # #

Re: FIA Charges Michelin Teams

The FIA/Mosley is playing with fire.

Even watching 6 cars run at the US F1 is better than watching - no, let me change that - better than DRIVING an IRL, Nascar, and Champ car all in one.

F1 is still the pinacle people, and there's nothing that any US race could ever do to top it. Sorry. But how many tech advances have we gotten out of NASCAR?..other than the CUPHOLDER.

Sorry, but I'm still watching F1, and whatever happened at the US F1 race won't change my mind. B/c if all we had to watch was Nascar, we'd all be driving suped up Monte Carlo's, Dodge Intrepid's, and Ford Taurus's....ahhh like I said, no thanks.

Quote:
    RR4 said:

Even watching 6 cars run at the US F1 is better than watching - no, let me change that - better than DRIVING an IRL, Nascar, and Champ car all in one.

F1 is still the pinacle people, and there's nothing that any US race could ever do to top it. Sorry. But how many tech advances have we gotten out of NASCAR?..other than the CUPHOLDER.

Sorry, but I'm still watching F1, and whatever happened at the US F1 race won't change my mind. B/c if all we had to watch was Nascar, we'd all be driving suped up Monte Carlo's, Dodge Intrepid's, and Ford Taurus's....ahhh like I said, no thanks.

Bingo!

RR4,

While I certainly enjoy F1 (I was present at Indy) and follow the season closely, I am find your statement to be not only offensive, but closed-minded, arrogant, and outright rude.

F1 is a great race to watch and is much faster/more technically advanced than IRL or Champ have the budgets to be -- but at least the drivers/teams get along and there is good old fashioned camraderie in IRL! It would seem F1 isn't even capable of that anymore. IRL is not as luxurious or opulent as F1, but that has never been a real reason to be a race fan -- it's about the cars and the drivers and what they do on the track, not the political bullsh!t that has engulfed F1 and turned it into the automotive equivalent of the WWF. In IRL and Champ, gossip revolves around on-track offensive plays and risky high speed manuevers. In F1, the gossip is about Raikkonen getting drunk and dropping his pants in a night club or Montoya berating a reporter. That certainly says a lot to me, and while I continue to be an F1 fan I openly recognize its growing number of flaws. It ashames me to see these things in F1, because I love it os much -- I'm sure you feel similarly. Knocking other perfectly legitimate, respectable, and altogether entertaining forms of racing when the one you're trying to defend is so full of flaws is very foolhardy. Can't you find a more optimistic way to vent?

Quote:
    syf0n said:
    RR4,

While I certainly enjoy F1 (I was present at Indy) and follow the season closely, I am find your statement to be not only offensive, but closed-minded, arrogant, and outright rude.

F1 is a great race to watch and is much faster/more technically advanced than IRL or Champ have the budgets to be -- but at least the drivers/teams get along and there is good old fashioned camraderie in IRL! It would seem F1 isn't even capable of that anymore. IRL is not as luxurious or opulent as F1, but that has never been a real reason to be a race fan -- it's about the cars and the drivers and what they do on the track, not the political bullsh!t that has engulfed F1 and turned it into the automotive equivalent of the WWF. In IRL and Champ, gossip revolves around on-track offensive plays and risky high speed manuevers. In F1, the gossip is about Raikkonen getting drunk and dropping his pants in a night club or Montoya berating a reporter. That certainly says a lot to me, and while I continue to be an F1 fan I openly recognize its growing number of flaws. It ashames me to see these things in F1, because I love it os much -- I'm sure you feel similarly. Knocking other perfectly legitimate, respectable, and altogether entertaining forms of racing when the one you're trying to defend is so full of flaws is very foolhardy. Can't you find a more optimistic way to vent?

WWF is the World Wide Wrestling Federation = Mexican Midgets In Tights or peroxide blonde ex Footballers.

F1 is a political and driver drama stew pot. It would be nice to see it overcome itself and become more congenial and sporting. As it is today, its not able to deliver a
    quality product to its fans.

Actually, Jim, WWF is the World Wildlife Fund The wrestling league I think you're refering to is now called WWE, World Wrestling Entertainment.

Quote:
    RR4 said:How many tech advances have we gotten out of NASCAR?..other than the CUPHOLDER?

Quote:
    igzaklee said:
    Quote:
    RR4 said:How many tech advances have we gotten out of NASCAR?..other than the CUPHOLDER?

Obviously NASCAR is not about tech advances. If every automotive electronic acronym is that important to you,
    I suggest you sleep in a Volvo.

MASCAR was born out of racers who out raced police on public roads, it was never a game for the spoiled and
    pampered.

It now delivers a professional product that is reliable,
    has a huge audience, generates Billions in revenues and
    racers and teams actually have a collegiate relationship with their competitors.

So if NASCAR can grow up, why cant F1???

I think you're beating a dead horse here.
    NASCAR is a great sport for some and not so great for others. Same with F1.
    NASCAR has its roots in US culture and US racing, F1 in European culture and racing.
    I believe both sports are a very good reflection of those two cultural directions in many aspects.

NASCAR is raw, unpretentious, unrefined and simple entertainment. More brawn than brains. Not so much BS and politics. It's more burger and beer than caviar and champagne.

F1 is pretentious, refined, advanced, detailed and complex. More brains than brawn. It's more politics and money than entertainment, more argument than action, it's delicate in both the positive and negative sense of the word.

I think you need to be american to understand and appreciate NASCAR fully, and I believe you need to be european to really accept and understand F1.
    (And I dont mean "understand" in the intellectual sense of the word)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777207 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441699 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262779 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260951 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85223 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5568 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880655 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815942 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM