Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

convincing the wife

I'm 'that kid' from the Porsche commercial and finally have the cash for the car some many of use dream about. One more hurdle. What is a good convincing argument to convince my wife that a $90,000 car is a good idea? The only thing I have in my favor is she said yes to the new car, but I neglected to mention the price. Or, should I just show up with the car and drop the price bomb after?

Re: convincing the wife

Mid-Life Crisis! It worked for me.

Buy it for her!

As cool as Porsche's are, if the decision to get one is going to put you or your family in financial peril, you should probably use the money you would use on the Porsche and make it accumulate so when you get a Porsche, you don't have to worry about its financial rammifications. But of course, you wont be content with just the base Carerra, you'll want the GT2, then the CGT mwahahaha...You're screwed

jk, gl in convincing her

Quote:
    girlracer said:
    Buy it for her!

best advice ever.

Tell her you will buy her a $90,000 house.:) I do like girlracer idea, tell her how good it will make her new diamonds look.

Remember it's a partnership!

Tell her what you want to do and why. If she agrees to consider it take her to the dealership (a little "prep" with the dealer principal and sales guy can go a LONG way on this) and ask her to at least go on a test drive with you, or ask her to drive it as well. If she doesn't agree to buying it then you have to abide by the decision. Your marriage is worth a lot more than any Porsche will be...

Why don't you show her the commercial and say guess who this is? Then tell her you finally want to live your dreams, with her blessing of course. Beforehand, do all the leg work and put a deposit down, that way you can quickly pull the trigger when she says yes GL

Do what I did, just talk about it so damm much that she is sick of hearing about it and says what ever. Actually, this may sound like I am a jerk, but I really an not. My wife pretty much lets me do what I want to with my toys and I really don't have to ask for permission. I do usually run it buy her so she is included in the decision making process if you know what I mean. wink wink.

Scoot down to the dealer and place your deposit, mention it later to your bride like it's no big deal. Some other ideas if she still needs encouragement:

Paint the rooms she's always wanted painted ( whistle in the contractor to do it if you're not DIY type ) starting tomorrow--for no apparent reason. As a surprise, have her current vehicle detailed. Clean the garage and epoxy-paint the floor & hang some Rubbermaid cabinets ( she'll dig the garage thing too, even though it's really thinly veiled feathering of nest for new 997 bird). All above are horribly transparent, yes..but chivalry thing worked for me.

Point out that you've earned it...you don't disappear for weeks at a time gambling, golfing, or galavanting (excessively) .

I agree in theory with getting her excited and attached to the 997 with a dealer red carpet treatment, but she may balk after seeing the over-optioned $96K example on the showroom floor.
    I skipped this step bec my wife would be no more or less impressed with 997S than my outgoing E46M3, so it would have been counterproductive @ $30K differential. Instead I showed her the half-dozen US and Euro car mags which simultaneously named 997 car of year.

At this stage--if she hasn't seen an MSRP yet-- get the shock over with but just speak in generalities about price "in the $70/$80K's neighborhood, options dependent".

Think like a criminal defense attorney confronting damaging evidence about their client: get the really shocking stuff in front of the jury early , so that the jury has plenty of time to get used to it. Then, when the car ultimately weighs in at $89.5K, hit her with the heavy emphasis on bouyant 997 resale value...that you'll recover $$ nicely whenever you decide to divest of the car (to move up to the Turbo heheh ). Best of luck, you'll do fine. Carpe diem.

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    Quote:
    girlracer said:
    Buy it for her!

best advice ever.

Buy it for her?

Buy it for yourself then buy her a 987S... and then ask her to come drive with you!

tooner,

You do have the ideal situation.

Good advice by all!

If money is an issue then just take some more time to save.

Good luck!

Excellent comments from you guys - LOL.

Quote:
    flap said:
    I'm 'that kid' from the Porsche commercial and finally have the cash for the car some many of use dream about. One more hurdle. What is a good convincing argument to convince my wife that a $90,000 car is a good idea? The only thing I have in my favor is she said yes to the new car, but I neglected to mention the price. Or, should I just show up with the car and drop the price bomb after?

Just change the tread subject to "divorcing the wife"

j/k

Here's how I did it. My co-workers and I snatched her out of bed at 3 AM, duck taped her, threw her in the back of a flat bed pick-up truck, and drove her to the edge of a river (you could hear the waves against the pier on the Potomac River at Marshal Hall). We then held a summary mock execution, using an old reliable S&W Model 10 revolver, with all the chambers empty, firing over and over again. Then my boss said to her, give your husband a 997 or we'll come back with a shotgun next time. Then we took her back, freed her hands, and left her to do the rest, while I got back into bed before she took the duck tape off her eyes. Next morning, we were at the dealership. All smiles, too! Two weeks later she left me. Wonder why? Oh yeah, I'm a sick puppy.

My C2s has cost me a new bathroom , kitchen , tiled hall way , top loader washing machine and dryer , numerous clothing and a holiday in Italy in August ..

Serious I am not joking and yes before you put the question to her go and get a big bunch flowers for her and tell her you love her..

Good Luck..

throt...

My wife was not in favour at first, I told her after I ordered and took her back to dealership to confirm the colour. She said it went against all her beliefs to spend that kind of money on a car, but I bought it anyways.

Guess who wants to drive the thing everytime we go anywhere?
    Good Luck

I have a strict rule: never buy luxury items on credit. So if you can't pay cash for this car, perhaps you shouldn't buy it. Yeah, auto financing interest is small, but it's still not wise to owe money on stuff you can EASILY do without. Sorry.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    I have a strict rule: never buy luxury items on credit. So if you can't pay cash for this car, perhaps you shouldn't buy it. Yeah, auto financing interest is small, but it's still not wise to owe money on stuff you can EASILY do without. Sorry.

You're obviously not an American (or Australian)

Actually, it is a cash deal. And, I did buy her a van this year, finished the basement, and have agreed to selling my EType and MG. Hey,she'll get over it, and if not, more room in the garage. I loved the duct tape idea, but I think I am going to steal some ideas for 'A Christmas Story'...have to go cut out some pictures of the 997 and place them strategically around the house to get her used to seeing them...maybe that way she won't notice when it showsup. Thanks for the great ideas!

Let her see the porsche video with the little boy dreaming about a 911...
    Let her consider you as a little boy (that you -we- ARE in fact if you -we- want this irrational noisy little vehicle) and do hope to touch her mother's heart, that just wants to see you happy...
    And, if she likes cars, let her testdrive it a while ...
    This is not humor : it's the true way..!
    And it works...

Tell her you are dead set on a new Ferarri and show her a brochure on the new 360, with a copy of a dealer invoice (I am sure one of the guys here would send you a copy).

At some point she will ask about an alternative to which you reply: 'well I do like the new Porsche and it is a lot less expensive'. Get your dealer to let you borrow a 997 for the day and she will fall in love with it.

Congratulations on your remarkable demonstration of fiscal responsibility.

She said yes to the new car and didn't ask how much ?
    So why double guess her decision. You made a choice, she agreed. Buy the car and be done with it. Unless you're using her money just go for it. I'm glad I don't need approval from my wife to buy cars. Guess it would be different is she were the one working and making the money and I was a stay home dad.

Quote:
    Danny G said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

You're obviously not an American (or Australian)

LOL! Exactly. Don't buy stuff on credit ? LOL!!
    I couldn't imagine tying up cash that I use to trade and invest in the market in cars. I'm not going to give up that cash saving 5% when I can turn it easily into 10-25% min. gains. That would be like throwing money out the window.. Being an X-Stock Broker helps.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Danny G said:
    Quote:
    [ I'm not going to give up that cash saving 5% when I can turn it easily into 10-25% min. gains.

Sure you can ... ... but most people can't

Quote:
    MMD said:

MMD... you really got me thinking about this one...

Thank you I guess...

Quote:
    Zürich said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Danny G said:
    Quote:
    [ I'm not going to give up that cash saving 5% when I can turn it easily into 10-25% min. gains.

Sure you can ... ... but most people can't

Come on, you're joking right ? If not a min. of 25% anyone can easily get a better return on their cash than what a bank charges for financing a car. If not you should really attend some seminars and learn how. I made more than triple my finance rate on a 2 day stock trade just yesterday.

I finance when rates are stupid low. It's not only the fact that I can earn a far better rate of return. It also gives me the flexibility of having cash-on-tap to leap on property or car opportunities that are often profitable. I'm definately not a debt addict, but when (for instance) domestic automakers are doing a 0% promotional offer, I'm financing the whole damn car!!! There's no argument not to.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    I finance when rates are stupid low. It's not only the fact that I can earn a far better rate of return. It also gives me the flexibility of having cash-on-tap to leap on property or car opportunities that are often profitable. I'm definately not a debt addict, but when (for instance) domestic automakers are doing a 0% promotional offer, I'm financing the whole damn car!!! There's no argument not to.

EXCATLY..
    OT - but I'm signing a Settlement statement right now for a small (10k sq ft) piece of golf course lot property that I sold, closing tomorrow in Palm Coast FL. - (#1 Fastest growing county in 05) Total return 1500%. Not bragging, I'm just excited. It's not the type of return you see very often. If I had put that money into a car instead it would have cost me a 1495% return. (- 5% for the car loan that I wouldn't be paying) Even the conservate Mutual Funds that I hold in my 401k have averaged better than 8% a year over the last 10 years. If I Paid for a depreciating asset like a Porsche w/ cash/in full, not putting those monies into appreciating assets it would be missing out big time.

I was gonna say, 10-25% min ROI is very difficult to maintain. Obviously, real estate appreciation has been a major boon in the past few years but other than that I think you could have trouble achieving those kind of returns constantly.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776836 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441572 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262702 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260846 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85124 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5520 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880567 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815723 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM