Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Am defecting to Aston Martin!!!

Just had confirmation that my AM V8 will be ready for March 1st 2006! hope i am making the right move? if i dont like it i could always sell it as i should have no problem in that deparment as they are only making around 2500 cars a year, and all order books are full till Spring 2008!!!

Re: Am defecting to Aston Martin!!!

Forgot to say i have currently Carrera S, any comments and thoughts on the Aston are very welcome??

It is the right move, it is a beautiful car and you want one, as you point out if it does not give you the pleasure of the 997 all you have to do is to sell it, you won't lose and you can buy another 997.
    It is important for everyone that Porsche never takes its customers for granted (no pun intended).
    If the V8 is felt to be better by the buying public it will force porsche to improve their game.
    Buy the Aston you are helping me
    ALthough I will be sad to see you move to another board!

Its tough to say, we don't know that much about the Aston yet, my impressions from the info we have:

- its one of the most beautiful sportcars ouit there judging by the photos,
    - interior looks really elegant and refined,
    - handling will probably be one step behind your 997 and probably won't be as fun to drive (Aston more confortable suspension setup, heavier, etc.),
    - reliabilty aspect is a mistery since Aston is not know precisely for their reliability but they have made great progress in the last years so who knows yet
    - it will be very exclusive,
    - the engine comes from the Jag's V8 which has had very good press, reliable and smooth engine with good torque designed for confortable GT driving, though Aston has changed it to make more HP and will likely have a sportier character than the Jag version.
    - you loose the rear seats in the Aston.

So it depends on a matter of personal prefecence, the 997 and the AMV8 are not that similar. One sportier, more fun to drive, more performance and handling oriented, and the other more GT'ish in character, more elegant and exclusive. How about keeping both?

But as you said yourself, if you don't like it, with the demand its likely to have, you can always sell it and maybe break even still.

One thing is for sure, if you do get it, you better post plenty of photos for us, that car is so beautiful

Great comments Carlos! you always speak good sense! The new Aston factory is a giant leap forward in every aspect so hopefully quality and reliability should be much improved. And another plus for me is a new Aston dealership opens a few miles from where i live in December! off for a blast in Carrera S now as the sky is blue and it is over 30degrees for the 3rd day running! very rare for England!!!!!!

could not help myself posting another sexy pic!!!

I'm praying for some rain here, its been so hot/sunny this past weeks I have had sunburn twice already this month!

With a dealership next door that is a great plus Grant. Aston has a lot on stake with this model so they will make sure there are no flaws on it. Nice pics, no matter from were you look at it, its beautiful, have you seen this dark blue color? with terracota like interior? impressive.

Truly one of the most beautiful cars made currently. Good luck with it. You'd better continue to post pics and reviews!

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    I'm praying for some rain here, its been so hot/sunny this past weeks I have had sunburn twice already this month!

If there is hot and sunny, here its twice as much!!!, air conditioning is at full speed at house.....997S and cayenne turbo engines, are all time with the air-fan on

One of our neighbours has a new db9 in black colour, the car looks stunning, if you see it in real, you can easily imagine its a vanquish!..I've seen 3 or 4 db9's in different colours, all with german and english plates , the sound of those engines are incredible, very deep

Stupid but relevant question (if that's possible )
    what do you do when your grille gets smashed? I don't get what AM and BMW, (etc.) expect us to do when parallel parkers ruin them five or six times during the life of the car. What happened to the frickin' plastic bumper

Another thing that bothers me: why is the grille soooooo big? I'm guessing there's no need for it to be that big given the temps modern engines operate at. I don't like that "retro" styling if the grille is designed/styled unnecessarily non-functionally large.

Congrats, an excellent choice. Several DB9s in our area (Palm Beach) and the AMV8 is even more attractive IMHO. Last time I checked the Aston site there wasn't too much about colors. Any thoughts about what you may choose?

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Another thing that bothers me: why is the grille soooooo big? I'm guessing there's no need for it to be that big given the temps modern engines operate at. I don't like that "retro" styling if the grille is designed/styled unnecessarily non-functionally large.

For the intakes for the AMV8 Turbo.

Hmm....the rear looks like 997 had a baby with Infinity G35...LOL.

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:
    Another thing that bothers me: why is the grille soooooo big?

For the intakes for the AMV8 Turbo.

Oh, wheeew..., OK good, now I can like the grille.

Thanks Al.

Not too familiar with it and it looks nice. Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 997S a true sports car(by todays standards) and the AM a "luxury" sports car? So, it really depends on your fancy.......

Congrats Grant.Uk... I'm sure you'll be turning lots of heads driving around in that baby.

Don't forget to share pics....

Interesting choice. I recently bought a 997S after many years of wanting a 911. However, my father once owned a 1975 AMV8 and it was one of the most beautiful and enchanting cars I've ever driven or sat in. The craftmanship was just stunning. The aluminum body was hand-hammered and the engine assembled and signed by an individual workman. However, the reliability was suspect and the performance and handling were very muscle car-like. I can't imagine it would perform or handle better than the 997, which IMO is already rather GTish compared with older Porsches or other performance offerings. Still, I have very fond memories of driving the AM.

All my life (as long as i can remember) i'm a p-freak.
    But concerning cardesign porsche surely can learn something at ferrari's 355,360, maranello, 456,612(not the 430,which i don't like) and AM DB9 and now V8 are stunning...VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERy beautiful, but.... they don't have porscheblood in their vains so, i think i'll always prefer the p's for myself...

Quote:
    SrfCity said:
    Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 997S a true sports car(by todays standards) and the AM a "luxury" sports car? So, it really depends on your fancy.......

I have a similar feeling about this. It's sort of apples and oranges, even though there's talk of the AMV8 "competing against the 911," I think partly from Bez's past Porsche connection. Wasn't it the Dane, Henrik Fisker who designed both the AMDB9 and the AMV8 before he split to try to start his own company? I recall Car and Driver describing the DB9 as "achingly beautiful," and I think the AMV8, even idling in neutral has knockout good looks. If her performance matches her looks, that would maintain my interest. I will want to read the reviews once the car has been on the road, and get a handle on the reliability, particularly since the nearest dealer to me is several hours away. Also, I would await a droptop/turbocharged or supercharged version. I could see myself owning both a 911 and AMV8-a 911TSCab works for me too since the AWD lets me drive her through our long and snowy winters!

I placed a purchase option on the AMV8 18 months ago but I finally cancelled when a got the final confirmation of the price and also the service requirements (i.e. servicing every 10'000km) at a non-negligible cost.

A 997/997S is cheaper to run, the 997S has better performances than the AMV8, and the 997/997S is a daily car which the AMV8 is not.

Apart from that, the AMV8 is from my point of view one of the most beautiful car at the moment.

Grant - you lucky **** - I've got about another year after you to wait for mine! If you fancy swinging by Andover once you've got it to watch a grown man cry and turn green don't hesitate!!!

Which delaer may I ask.....?

Very nice but for me an Aston Martins is a car I would like to own in my 40s. Right now, I'm 33 and it may sound daft but I think I've still got a number of years to go with the Porsche brand...

I'm doing the same. Get my V8 in Sept (supposedly) and Carrera S just gone

Sexy machine. More power to ya!

Beautiful car, congratulations in advance.

Congratulations on choosing your new car. I've seen the AMV8 for real for the first time last week and I must say, it is truly gorgeous.

I hope you liked the extensive photos I posted on this site...

As for me, contrary to what some people here may have assumed (given that I have posted so many photos of the AMV8 on this site), I actually want only one car...a 911 Carrera S....nothing else will do for me.

Together with porsche (which still is most beautiful) lamborghini and aston martin make the most beautiful cars in the world. It is that I already told myself to get a 911 before I die, but if I earn another zillion or so, then a DB9 or AM V8 will sure be on the driveway as well!
    -Joost-

Carlos did an excellent job in outlining the pros and cons.I have seen the car in person and it is magnificent.

I would only add that if for any reason you do not like it (I honestly doubt that will happen) you probably will be able to sell it for more money than what you paid for it. This would allow you to put your old shoes(Porsche) back on which will be selling for substantially less because of lack of demand.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Carlos did an excellent job in outlining the pros and cons.I have seen the car in person and it is magnificent.

I would only add that if for any reason you do not like it (I honestly doubt that will happen) you probably will be able to sell it for more money than what you paid for it. This would allow you to put your old shoes(Porsche) back on which will be selling for substantially less because of lack of demand.

Yes I agree, it comes down to what you really want.
    I don't think you'll be disappointed with the V8.
    IMHO, I'd go for the Porsche bc I'm still in my 20s and for me, an Aston is for an older clientele, but that's all image.
    Having said that, the car is gorgeous, and what you will lose in precision and performance, you will gain in exclusivity and beauty
    Re Nick's comment on resale value, absolutely true. You cannot lose here!
    How did you resale your 997 BTW?

i think you're making the right move~~

the AMV8's EASY on the eyes...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778761 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442165 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263035 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261321 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85558 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5773 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881001 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817088 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM